What are you Playing Now? Who needs a life anyway?...

uuuhhii

2 hours ago, BruceVC said:

Wormie I want to read the Witcher books but I dont understand Polish, why did Sapkowski write the books in a language that no one understands? Dont you think thats racist and selfish :p

I wish I didn't understand (the English translation of) the first book. Maybe then I could pretend it is worth the time and all the praise people give it.

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

7 minutes ago, melkathi said:

I wish I didn't understand (the English translation of) the first book. Maybe then I could pretend it is worth the time and all the praise people give it.

first witcher book are always the favorite

the rest are a little hard to follow than short story

3 minutes ago, melkathi said:

Interesting, one a serious note I havent read the English versions of the Witcher but because I love the game world so much I want to

What didnt you like about the writing style and content of the books? Please go into detail, I do consider you someone who is qualified to comment because you have written books so thats qualified in my definition

And we all have our own preferences around good fantasy so for example I loved Steven Eriksson and Game of Thrones. So Im lookng for what was bad about the Witcher books  in your opinion?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

The hardest fight in the Witcher series was the prologue fight in the castle courtyard in the second game. I wish Geralt could summon a horde of level 1 skeletons.

Anyway, I bit on the CK3 expansion pass, despite the aggressively mediocre reviews. I can sort of rationalise it since the game itself didn't cost me anything on game pass. It's, eh, the same as before really. I'm largely indifferent to the Royal Court features since they're basically existing events in a new wrapper, with the one exception of the awful UI for managing artifacts. So I did the customary thing of randoming into some count, which landed me as an Armenian Apostolic two levels under the Abbasid Caliphate. Smelled like danger but in the end not really, Armenia is now the foremost superpower in the world, and like all CK3 games, that's the trigger to quit because there's nothing else to do. Other than produce the obligatory form of CK familial relationships:

vlIuM7G.png

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

9 minutes ago, Humanoid said:

The hardest fight in the Witcher series was the prologue fight in the castle courtyard in the second game. I wish Geralt could summon a horde of level 1 skeletons.

Anyway, I bit on the CK3 expansion pass, despite the aggressively mediocre reviews. I can sort of rationalise it since the game itself didn't cost me anything on game pass. It's, eh, the same as before really. I'm largely indifferent to the Royal Court features since they're basically existing events in a new wrapper, with the one exception of the awful UI for managing artifacts. So I did the customary thing of randoming into some count, which landed me as an Armenian Apostolic two levels under the Abbasid Caliphate. Smelled like danger but in the end not really, Armenia is now the foremost superpower in the world, and like all CK3 games, that's the trigger to quit because there's nothing else to do. Other than produce the obligatory form of CK familial relationships:

vlIuM7G.png

struggle with ck3 interface many times

just couldn't get into it

10 minutes ago, uuuhhii said:

struggle with ck3 interface many times

just couldn't get into it

I get by but that's largely because it's not a game designed around challenge, so I can go throughout an entire campaign completely neglecting things like the fact I have to equip my gear manually, that I can manually choose research, that I can hand out useful court titles, etc, and not notice a difference.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

7 hours ago, BruceVC said:

why did Sapkowski write the books in a language that no one understands?

So only the deserving ones can appreciate his genius. You can't have a good thing, and appeal to riffraff at the same time.

5 hours ago, melkathi said:

I really liked first two books (short story collection), and even in my high school years I was more critical of the "saga". I won't try to defend the material though, as I haven't re-read the books in years, and I don't know if 32 years old me, would like the same thing as 17 years old me. As far as translation goes, my biggest concern would be the humor, and if it would translate well into english.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Zoraptor said:

Some of the decoctions are impossible to obtain the ingredients for due to story choices, similar to how you can only get the Big Praying Mantis potion in W1 if you choose to fight it in the prologue rather than going with Triss. Those I can remember offhand are a couple of 'monsters' in Novigrad; a 'changling' who is impersonating someone and a succubus. Choose to let them go instead of killing them and you cannot complete the relevant decoctions. And if you're playing a 'proper' Witcher you probably do let them go.

Yeah this is what I did in almost every such instance. And so I guess that explains it.

the only way to play the original Witcher game is to treat it like a NWN total conversion. that was the only reason I even bought the game in the first place and I liked it. then I tried NWN 2 and forgot about TW for a long time. TW2 was a huge disappointment. 

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

If I did, I'd never have played it. Never liked NWN, though admittedly I never played the supposedly superior expansions, but I'm okay with the first Witcher.

It's a little weird perhaps then that the only NWN campaign I ended up playing for more than a couple of hours is SoZ.

• Like 1

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

I've been playing a lot of Cyberpunk 2077. Don't think I'm the right headspace for this game. I recently had a close family member pass away and all the body horror and post humanism of CP is hitting me much harder than it normally would. I'm really far into the game but still debating whether or not I'll continue or take a break and come back at a better time.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 3

Well, the good thing about games is that you can stop them at any time and return to them whenever.

• Like 4

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

On 5/11/2022 at 4:13 PM, Wormerine said:

I don't know if 32 years old me, would like the same thing as 17 years old me.

Yeah, I guess when I was 17 I may have liked it. At 34 or so when I did read it, not so much.

It felt too immature in it's attempt to be grim and dark.

• Thanks 1

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

1 hour ago, melkathi said:

It felt too immature in it's attempt to be grim and dark.

That's the thing - I found Witcher to be more on a Terry Pratchet side, then grim and dark. It's like a parody of a parody of a parody. Fantasy spaghetti western with dark twists on popular fairy tales.

• Like 2

My Oblivion gaming experience is going exceptionally well, Im about 110 hours into the game and Im only on level 11 due to the highly recommended Maskars Overhaul Mod. Its addresses basically every issue you can think of with vanilla Oblivion like no level scaling, slower and realistic advancement, monster variations  and vastly improved mechanics on every level 

I also have started modding my single player RDR2 game and I dont know why I didnt do it earlier. I now have realistic survival requirements like eating, washing, urinating and sleep. I have added additional contracts, gangs, bounty hunting and hunting and herbalist skills. Plus some overhaul mods....its hard to believe how much better the game is 8)

• Thanks 2

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

6 hours ago, BruceVC said:

I also have started modding my single player RDR2 game

Hmmm… might give it a go sometime in the future. In spite of my previous criticism of RDR2 it is a game I imagine myself returning to. 

I started epilogue. It was harder then I thought

to say goodbye to Arthur. Seeing my longtime horse die hit me harder then any other death in the game. Almost as bad as in True Grit. Goodbye my dear Ebony. 

Edited by Wormerine
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Wormerine said:

Hmmm… might give it a go sometime in the future. In spite of my previous criticism of RDR2 it is a game I imagine myself returning to. 

I started epilogue. It was harder then I thought

Hide contents

to say goodbye to Arthur. Seeing my longtime horse die hit me harder then any other death in the game. Almost as bad as in True Grit. Goodbye my dear Ebony. 

Let me know if you going to play RDR2 again, I am not replaying it I am  just continuing with the John Marston story and all these mods just add the functionality to that but they would also update the main story 

And its very simple to load RDR2 mods, you literally copy one or two files to the RDR2 installation directory and you dont need a mod manager

Its not like my Oblivion modding story, I probably spent about 40 hours before I developed an effective and working strategy 8)

• Thanks 1

John Milton 

1 hour ago, Bokishi said:

RDR2 with VR Mod = Time Travel

Whats it like, I hear its  a bit choppy but generally their is good feedback ?

John Milton 

Yeah it's from Luke Ross, and all of his mods are very well done and scalable on different hardware. There are different visual presets you can specify, depending on what your pc can handle. I've been able to get it running smoothly on a 1080ti (medium), 2080ti (high), and a 3080ti (ultra)

I can get by pretty smoothly at 6K resolution maxed out on the Pimax 8KX. But cranking it to 8K resolution (native for that headset) is very choppy, but it looks extremely good (like it's the exact same game you see in the screen, but you are inside it with no visual compromises). You are almost literally in the wild west at that point. I see those visuals as a preview for what the next gen will be able to give you. Like a RTX 4090 preview maybe

• Like 2

I have been a huge fan of Stellaris and have bought all the DLC on the day of release. They have all been worth the cost. Overlord is no exception but it is a bug infested mess. Nothing that crashes the game or anything terrible. More like features that don't work right or petty annoyances. It's still worth buying but I'd advise waiting for a patch. Paradox is pretty good about post release fixes so I doubt it will be long

• Like 2

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

1 minute ago, Guard Dog said:

I have been a huge fan of Stellaris and have bought all the DLC on the day of release. They have all been worth the cost. Overlord is no exception but it is a bug infested mess. Nothing that crashes the game or anything terrible. More like features that don't work right or petty annoyances. It's still worth buying but I'd advise waiting for a patch. Paradox is pretty good about post release fixes so I doubt it will be long

used to try every major patch of ck2 and stellaris

paradox are just really bad at fixing stuff

the reverse ring world visual bug continue to exist for at least three dlc

it may still not be fixed even now

What really annoys me with Paradox's EU4 was the inability to disable certain new gameplay features that were force enabled with their major patches. Some of them were just so lousy and I don't want to deal with them and I wish I could just disable them for myself as well as the AI. It's been years since I played EU4, so maybe they have added a way to do that by now...but probably not.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 2

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

26 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

What really annoys me with Paradox's EU4 was the inability to disable certain new gameplay features that were force enabled with their major patches. Some of them were just so lousy and I don't want to deal with them and I wish I could just disable them for myself as well as the AI. It's been years since I played EU4, so maybe they have added a way to do that by now...but probably not.

That's generally a problem with patches in many games in recent times, or at least for games I played a lot. Hey, I know it's a bother, but perhaps I don't want your gameplay changes to apply to my game? Well, for single player games, anyway. Obsidian could have really added an option to Pillars of Eternity: [ ] Make the bad combat in this game worse by adding "balance" from recent patches. :p

• Like 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.