ranDom vIdeO game news

Sarex

I never finished POE1, but finished POE2 once. I don't think that's indication POE sucked for me, because there are other games I never finished and still love them and would recommend them, like DOS2. Problem with POE1 for me that it was too annoying. Hard to love something if you need copious amount of time for every fight. I loved POE2, but couldn't complete it twice.

I used to hate isomeric point of view, but my thoughts have changed with DOS1 and Baldur's Gate 2 enhanced. I was diehard Neverwinter Nights 1&2 fan before that, with very little gaming experince before that. I also think isometric point of view couldn't be the issue because P:K, DOS2 and BG3 are all isometric, but it can make game more niche.

I usually only play two or three classes in these game in all my playthrough, but I feel I like class choices and love option for multiclassing and I feel POE was too restrictive when it comes to that. Also, some people do want to play as underdog classes that has lore, while in POE everything was too balanced, but also annoying (like mini fights). I also think BG2 has more fights than POE did, but in BG2 trash fight required trash tactics, just autoattack them with crossbow and swords, and it was mistake to listen edgelords, nobody actually wants extra tactics all the time. I used to listen all this talk how people would love real tactics and real difficulties on other NWN forums, but obviously that's just edgelord talk that didn't age well.

Interestingly enough, do you people think POE2 lost people who love turn based combat over real time? On P:K forums, turn based mod was all rage. I personally never understand why people don't just autoattack trash mobs for 2 seconds, and yes, fights in P:K did last 2 seconds, while I got feeling POE1 was trying it hard to mimick turn based while being real time with time it takes to do the fight.

Edited by Melusina
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Amentep said:

I backed the second game, but still have yet to play it.  I just barely finished the first.  At the risk of sounding like a filthy casual gamer, the mechanics was a bit more than I wanted to deal with in the first game and all through the production of Deadfire it just seemed like they doubled down on the mechanics.  It seems to work well for some people, but it made the game feel a bit of a chore to me.

This is what I'm saying. And I don't think this makes you a casual gamer at all. It is quite reasonable. And I say this as someone who loves that Sawyer did NOT just slap on the D20 system into PoE because I utterly dislike the D20 system. So kudos to Obsidian for creating a new, better system. But at the same time, it is very obtuse and difficult to figure out, confusing, and sometimes quite frustrating. So it can be a chore for many people, myself included.

I think a lot of people bought and played PoE1 expecting a "D&D-like" game, a game that would at least have the D20 system. They found out this was not the case, and this frustrated them and turned them off to even trying the second game.

20 hours ago, BruceVC said:

Do you guys think PoE1  is fine to play now, I dont play games when they first released because of bugs so I generally wait 3-5 months or until the game is relatively stable ?

I have it on Steam so Im good to go :thumbsup:

I'll second what others have already said to this. Especially with the DLCs added in, the game is fantastic in most ways. Only the gameplay mechanics, especially wrt combat, can be confusing and opaque. For me, once I just accepted that I didn't really want to know how anything worked and would simply accept the results/outcomes at face value, i.e. when I stopped worrying about those pesky details, I had a blast playing it.

Ditto for the second game, which has the added awesomeness of multi-classing.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, kanisatha said:

But at the same time, it is very obtuse and difficult to figure out, confusing, and sometimes quite frustrating. So it can be a chore for many people, myself included.

I found it interesting, that I found PoE systems to be transparent and intuitive enough for me to enjoy the game (though the game does have some deeper oddities that could be ironed out), while I find Pathfinder to be incredible obtuse and confusing and a chore to play. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Wormerine said:

I found it interesting, that I found PoE systems to be transparent and intuitive enough for me to enjoy the game (though the game does have some deeper oddities that could be ironed out), while I find Pathfinder to be incredible obtuse and confusing and a chore to play. 

Is this because you are unfamiliar with/new to D&D 3.5e?

5 hours ago, uuuhhii said:

3.5 are still awful for anyone read thousand page of it

for too bloated and ancient to use today

Not for everyone 😛 I love to read Pathfinder 1e rules and implement them for our play sessions 😄

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

13 hours ago, kanisatha said:

Is this because you are unfamiliar with/new to D&D 3.5e?

I played NWN2 many times, but I would consider my 3.5e knowledge to be basic. I always found it to be convoluted and not rewarding to learn - complicated but not complex kind of design. Pathfinder seemed to be on another level, with illogical exceptions, spells requiring one very particular counterspell (which is normal for D&D but becomes unweildy due to how much junk like that Pathfinder had). I suppose the downside of Kingmaker for me was it's determination of testing player's encyclopedic knowledge of Pathfinder while other D&D and D&D-like titles are more interested in campaign allowing lack of understanding of the system to slide. Heck, playing PoE1 on Hard, I wasn't forced to dive deep into the systems until I started to tackle hardest, optional encounters in the game. 

It helps that in PoEd figuting an encounter was saved for elite encounters - rewarding narratively and item wise. Pathfinder required it for a trash encounter, that then it would copy paste throughout 3 levels of a dungeon. 

Edited by Wormerine
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Mamoulian War said:

Not for everyone 😛 I love to read Pathfinder 1e rules and implement them for our play sessions 😄

pathfinder 1e monster stat are painful to read after learning the basic of 2e

couldn't imagine why any gm doesn't consider running these monster torture

but maybe long years of experience change things

35 minutes ago, Wormerine said:

I played NWN2 many times, but I would consider my 3.5e knowledge to be basic. I always found it to be convoluted and not rewarding to learn - complicated but not complex kind of design. Pathfinder seemed to be on another level, with illogical exceptions, spells requiring one very particular counterspell (which is normal for D&D but becomes unweildy due to how much junk like that Pathfinder had). I suppose the downside of Kingmaker for me was it's determination of testing player's encyclopedic knowledge of Pathfinder while other D&D and D&D-like titles are more interested in campaign allowing lack of understanding of the system to slide. Heck, playing PoE1 on Hard, I wasn't forced to dive deep into the systems until I started to tackle hardest, optional encounters in the game. 

It helps that in PoEd figuting an encounter was saved for elite encounters - rewarding narratively and item wise. Pathfinder required it for a trash encounter, that then it would copy paste throughout 3 levels of a dungeon. 

isn't the ridiculous specific counter spell fight more common in older game

pathfinder 2e does a much better job at limiting all the save or die nonsense

though caster can still find a few good crit success or suck spell

1 hour ago, uuuhhii said:

pathfinder 1e monster stat are painful to read after learning the basic of 2e

couldn't imagine why any gm doesn't consider running these monster torture

but maybe long years of experience change things

Well, I play patfinder since 2012/13 or so? I really do not remember, and I love math, and I have same type of friends. So we kind of enjoy that large walls of numbers 😄 And I fully understand, that some people might hate it, but for me D&D5 and PF2 feels kind of numb compared to PF1 and D&D3.5  ... Dunno, maybe something's wrong with me and my friends 😄

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mamoulian War said:

Well, I play patfinder since 2012/13 or so? I really do not remember, and I love math, and I have same type of friends. So we kind of enjoy that large walls of numbers 😄 And I fully understand, that some people might hate it, but for me D&D5 and PF2 feels kind of numb compared to PF1 and D&D3.5  ... Dunno, maybe something's wrong with me and my friends 😄

I love that 3.5 had ready made systems for scaling monsters to the difficulty level that you needed, instead of having to find monsters that are the CR that can stand up to the players.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

In NWN2 I only ever started paying attention when big red dragon completely wiped the floor with my party, I dropped difficulty to easy and she wiped the floor as easily again. So I searched for help and - "wow, there's a whole system under it? 😲 Cool!" And there was a lot of stuff on Internet useful for a newbie - how things work in general, builds and stuff - that was based on the game itself, not general PnP rules. Makes me wonder why there's no such thing yet for Pathfinder after two supposedly popular games. 

• Like 2

Because we needed yet another survival game...

Someone should get the rights from GW to make a troll slayer suicidal game, where you have to diein glorious combat against a worthy for. If you finish the campaign without dying you lose.

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

Job postings as marketing, hah.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

1 hour ago, Malcador said:

This made me think, I wonder if Blizzivision is going to ditch the Battle.net, or if Microsoft will move their ****ty store to it instead.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

2 hours ago, MrBrown said:

A survival game by Blizzard is probably about trying to be a female game developer.

Well, Microsoft did say that they respect the culture of studios they buy ;)

• Haha 1
  • Gasp! 1

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

5 hours ago, MrBrown said:

At some point the ministry of justice antitrust people are going to say no.

I would not be so sure about that. They are still wondering if FB should be broken into more entities or not, and MS has a much better name in business world than Zuckerdroid. :shrugz:

Heres an interesting comparison and question , PoE vs Pathfinder universe?

And if you prefer one over the other what would be the reason?  I havent played either but I have PoE 1 and Pathfinder 1 (Kingmaker ) on Steam and I am leaning towards Pathfinder 1 as my first choice ( I feel a little guilty  saying that on the Obsidian forum :blush:)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela