ranDom vIdeO game news

Sarex

6 hours ago, Mamoulian War said:

Obsidian. With their purchase, there is no more isometric RPGs planned. That's worse for the game industry as a whole, because Obsidian was one of the very few companies, who could still offer this kind of content šŸ˜¢

With this purchase, Obsidian is not going bankrupt and having to lay off a bunch more staff. The Microsoft acquisition of Obsidian isn't the reason Obsidian aren't currently looking to make PoE3. JE Sawyer has been relatively open that in his opinion there is likely not a high chance of a PoE3 at this stage simply because PoE2 wasn't nearly as successful as they'd hoped. https://jesawyer.tumblr.com/post/669770197986590720/hi-josh-hope-youre-doing-great-world-of-eora

Ā 

Ā 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Chairchucker said:

With this purchase, Obsidian is not going bankrupt and having to lay off a bunch more staff. The Microsoft acquisition of Obsidian isn't the reason Obsidian aren't currently looking to make PoE3. JE Sawyer has been relatively open that in his opinion there is likely not a high chance of a PoE3 at this stage simply because PoE2 wasn't nearly as successful as they'd hoped. https://jesawyer.tumblr.com/post/669770197986590720/hi-josh-hope-youre-doing-great-world-of-eora

Ā 

Ā 

Thats interesting, so any future PoE wont be because of Microsoft but rather disappointing sales numbers

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his lossā€

John MiltonĀ 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.ā€ -Ā  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Ā 

Ā 

1 minute ago, BruceVC said:

Thats interesting, so any future PoE wont be because of Microsoft but rather disappointing sales numbers

Basically what Sawyer is saying is that they would need to figure out exactly why PoE2 didn't do well whereas other isometric games (I believe he mentions Pathfinder and Divinity: Original Sin) did. They can't just put out PoE3 with no changes and expect it to do better than PoE2.

• Like 1

I don't mind whatever perspective an RPG is presented in, but please please please stop forcing me to babysit companions. The worst part of it is that the presence of NPC companions tends to indicate a combat heavy design to justify the existence of said companions and you're punished for not taking a full complement of some arbitrary number.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

48 minutes ago, Humanoid said:

I don't mind whatever perspective an RPG is presented in, but please please please stop forcing me to babysit companions. The worst part of it is that the presence of NPC companions tends to indicate a combat heavy design to justify the existence of said companions and you're punished for not taking a full complement of some arbitrary number.

But thats why you must select companions thatĀ  are effective in combat and dont need to be babysit....thats my primary consideration inĀ  selecting party members ....then my second consideration is potential Romance options and my third is companion side quests which you dont necessarily know about until later but you sometimes canĀ  guess like when I freedĀ  the beautifulĀ  Viconia in BG2 from that evil and cruel mob that wanted to burn her at the stake just because she was a Drow, it was pure racism and I couldnt accept itĀ 8)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his lossā€

John MiltonĀ 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.ā€ -Ā  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Ā 

Ā 

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-60034058

Ā 

Despair all ye playstation fans... share the gnashing of teeth with Sony.

Ā 

Shares in Japanese technology giant Sony have slumped in Tokyo trade after Microsoft said it plans to buy mega games company Activision Blizzard.

The deal worth $68.7bn (Ā£50.5bn), would be Microsoft's biggest ever buyout and the largest deal in gaming history.

It would see the US firm owning popular gaming franchises including Call of Duty, Warcraft and Overwatch.

The deal would be a major step for Microsoft's Xbox gaming brand in its battle against Sony's PlayStation.

• Gasp! 1

ā€œHe who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.ā€ - Albert Einstein
Ā 

5 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

But thats why you must select companions thatĀ  are effective in combat and dont need to be babysit....thats my primary consideration inĀ  selecting party members ....then my second consideration is potential Romance options and my third is companion side quests which you dont necessarily know about until later but you sometimes canĀ  guess like when I freedĀ  the beautifulĀ  Viconia in BG2 from that evil and cruel mob that wanted to burn her at the stake just because she was a Drow, it was pure racism and I couldnt accept itĀ 8)

Nah, for me I don't want to take any at all and avoid the combat entirely. At worst I'll tolerate one temporary fully-autonomous companion like in New Vegas and whatnot but beyond that no, just leave me alone.

• Thanks 1

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

9 minutes ago, Gorth said:

Ā 

Ā 

Shares in Japanese technology giant Sony have slumped in Tokyo trade after Microsoft said it plans to buy mega games company Activision Blizzard.

The deal worth $68.7bn (Ā£50.5bn), would be Microsoft's biggest ever buyout and the largest deal in gaming history.

It would see the US firm owning popular gaming franchises including Call of Duty, Warcraft and Overwatch.

The deal would be a major step for Microsoft's Xbox gaming brand in its battle against Sony's PlayStation.

Maybe they finally stop censoring stuff to get more sales from Japan and gaijins like me, to be more competitive again.

Edited by Mamoulian War

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

Ā 

Ā 

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

7 minutes ago, Gorth said:

Ā 

Ā 

Gorthfuscious we never considered this validĀ  impact to the Sony share price, this makes Xbox much more powerful because of the widely supported portfolio of games that Activision owns ...

I have never ownedĀ  a console but if I had to buy one it would be an XboxĀ šŸ“€

John MiltonĀ 

Ā 

Ā 

12 minutes ago, Humanoid said:

Nah, for me I don't want to take any at all and avoid the combat entirely. At worst I'll tolerate one temporary fully-autonomous companion like in New Vegas and whatnot but beyond that no, just leave me alone.

Interesting post, are saying when you play games you prefer to avoid combat generally?

John MiltonĀ 

Ā 

Ā 

17 minutes ago, Humanoid said:

Well, there will be games that scratch that itch, such as Disco Elysium. J.E Sawyer's recently announced/leaked whatever medieval monk detective game will probs be similar. The thing is, you seem to be railing against the games that explicitly are not designed to be the game you want, for not going against their design to accommodate someone who wants to play a completely different game. Seems like mental energy best saved for wishing for more games that you do actually want. (Sidenote: also check out Gamedec if you haven't yet.)

2 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

Interesting post, are saying when you play games you prefer to avoid combat generally?

Not always, sometimes I have a surge of bloodlust. šŸ˜›Roleplaying means addressing the situation presented on its merits, and sometimes that means that violence is the most correct solution to the problem at hand. If I take a rigid approach at either extreme then it means I'd no longer be roleplaying. At any rate, I'm certainly not someone who obsesses about pacifist or ghost runs, or any other achievement-oriented measure like that.

Now the problem with the majority of party-based games is that the devs design a ton of classes with a ton of abilities and give you a ton of gear that they want you to use, and all of that means the gameplay design ends up strongly skewed towards encouraging their use. Elements like stealth, on the other hand, fly out the window because there is no sensible way to design a large party sneaking around in concert.

The result of it all is that while in theory it's possible to design a party-based games that can cater to my desired playstyle, it hasn't really happened yet and I can't see it happening. Meanwhile in lone-character RPGs, not only are youĀ  much more likely to get that kind of flexible, multi-faceted gameplay, those games already exist as a proven formula.

• Like 1

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

9 minutes ago, Chairchucker said:

Well, there will be games that scratch that itch, such as Disco Elysium. J.E Sawyer's recently announced/leaked whatever medieval monk detective game will probs be similar. The thing is, you seem to be railing against the games that explicitly are not designed to be the game you want, for not going against their design to accommodate someone who wants to play a completely different game. Seems like mental energy best saved for wishing for more games that you do actually want. (Sidenote: also check out Gamedec if you haven't yet.)

Yeah, games like Disco Elysium, Gamedec and Encased are why I have no inherent issue with isometric games. I'm very happy they exist, and long may that situation continue. However, this is a relatively recent trend and for most of the industry's history, isometric and party-based has gone hand in hand (ARPGs excluded). And further, how would you ever design a game like that around a party of four or six ? It seems something that is theoretically possible but which no studio would ever really bother with as it'll probably end up horribly compromised.

Obviously I'm not saying that party-based RPGs shouldn't exist. I'm just explaining why I, personally, am done with them.

Edited by Humanoid

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

1 minute ago, Humanoid said:

Not always, sometimes I have a surge of bloodlust. šŸ˜›Roleplaying means addressing the situation presented on its merits, and sometimes that means that violence is the most correct solution to the problem at hand. If I take a rigid approach at either extreme then it means I'd no longer be roleplaying. At any rate, I'm certainly not someone who obsesses about pacifist or ghost runs, or any other achievement-oriented measure like that.

Now the problem with the majority of party-based games is that the devs design a ton of classes with a ton of abilities and give you a ton of gear that they want you to use, and all of that means the gameplay design ends up strongly skewed towards encouraging their use. Elements like stealth, on the other hand, fly out the window because there is no sensible way to design a large party sneaking around in concert.

The result of it all is that while in theory it's possible to design a party-based games that can cater to my desired playstyle, it hasn't really happened yet and I can't see it happening. Meanwhile in lone-character RPGs, not only are youĀ  much more likely to get that kind of flexible, multi-faceted gameplay, those games already exist as a proven formula.

Makes sense, its unusual for me to think about playing an RPG withoutĀ  wanting combat but I can see what you mean by having pacifist options as a measurement of true RPĀ 

So I guess Zombie killing games like DY2 arent your forte ?

John MiltonĀ 

Ā 

Ā 

3 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

So I guess Zombie killing games like DY2 arent your forte ?

That's a completely different issue in that I just avoid zombie games entirely really. There is one exception, ironically being party-based, in Death Road to Canada. But then I have no problem with multiple units outside of the context of RPGs, even if you can argue DRtC has strong RPG elements, after all I play a *lot* of XCOM (which has zombies too I guess, ha).

Edited by Humanoid
  • Thanks 1

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

5 minutes ago, bugarup said:

Guys, you know what would be REALLY horrendous? This new conglomerate getting purchased by Disney.Ā 

I believe Microsoft's market valuation is an order of magnitude higher than Disney's, trillions vs hundreds of billions, so the reverse would be more likely in a world where such a move is allowed to go through.

Edited by Humanoid

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

3 minutes ago, Humanoid said:

That's a completely different issue in that I just avoid zombie games entirely really. There is one exception, ironically being party-based, in Death Road to Canada. But then I have no problem with multiple units outside of the context of RPGs, even if you can argue DRtC has strong RPG elements, after all I play a *lot* of XCOM (which has zombies too I guess, ha).

I knew you hadĀ  murderous tendencies hidden inside you , I was just checking ....who doesnt like slaughteringĀ  Zombies sometimes, its notĀ  like you killing someoneĀ :grin:

John MiltonĀ 

Ā 

Ā 

7 minutes ago, bugarup said:

Guys, you know what would be REALLY horrendous? This new conglomerate getting purchased by Disney.Ā 

Now that would be a disaster but I dont think Disney can afford to buy Microsoft even if they wanted to sell which they dontĀ 

John MiltonĀ 

Ā 

Ā 

11 minutes ago, Humanoid said:

I believe Microsoft's market valuation is an order of magnitude higher than Disney's, trillions vs hundreds of billions, so the reverse would be more likely in a world where such a move is allowed to go through.

Wasn't saying it realistic, just very very horrible. Imagine kings of everything sanitized, defanged, declawed, homogenous, PG-13, god forbid any controversy gets in, with their army of ever vigilant copyright lawyers on standby owning so many IPs? That's how civilizations end.Ā ;(

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, bugarup said:

Wasn't saying it realistic, just very very horrible. Imagine kings of everything sanitized, defanged, declawed, homogenous, PG-13, god forbid any controversy gets in, with their army of ever vigilant copyright lawyers on standby owning so many IPs? That's how civilizations end.Ā ;(

It would create an unimaginable horror thrust on us gamers .....Im having this recurring nightmare of sanitized ( your word and a good word ) RPGs from the like of Bethesda and Obsidian full of SJWism where you have to " make sure you considering the feelings of theĀ  diabolical, man-eating dragon and how you mustnt trigger it so it requires a safe space "Ā :lol::lol:

• Haha 2

John MiltonĀ 

Ā 

Ā 

13 hours ago, Mamoulian War said:

Well, even though PoE2 apparently under-performed, I wish this will not stop them to make part 3 in isometric view as well :( I have enjoyed the games and the setting :(

Me too. Me too. While I am looking forward to Avowed nothing would make me more happy that announcement that there will be PoE3. If anything, Avowed not being PoE3 gives me hope that Obsidian didn't give up on the IP. That, or they were scared that tying Avowed too closely to PoE would tank the sales šŸ˜…

• Like 1