The Cinema and Movie Thread

Amentep

11 hours ago, Achilles said:

If you liked The Big Short you might love Don't Look Up

big short were enjoyable and mostly accurate, but the movie writers bent over backwards trying to avoid throwing clinton under the bus. you would think that the guy who championed the bank deregulation which the characters in the movie is constant lamenting would be getting more prominent attention, but nope.  were just one example o' curious narrative choices. even so, were worth the viewing.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

27 minutes ago, Gromnir said:

big short were enjoyable and mostly accurate, but the movie writers bent over backwards trying to avoid throwing clinton under the bus. you would think that the guy who championed the bank deregulation which the characters in the movie is constant lamenting would be getting more prominent attention, but nope.  were just one example o' curious narrative choices. even so, were worth the viewing.

HA! Good Fun!

It's been so long since I read the book that I can't remember whether that was an oversight of the source material or the director's discretion.

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

19 minutes ago, Achilles said:

It's been so long since I read the book that I can't remember whether that was an oversight of the source material or the director's discretion.

we don't get torqued by a bit o' political skew in an otherwise good film. dallas buyer's club, for example, may not have been wholly accurate, but jared leto, jennifer garner and matthew mcconaughey performances didn't become less good because o' creative liberties. 

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I got suckered into watching Matrix 4. Here's my short review: *fart noise* *plop* *flushing sound*

Here's the long review: What a pile of ****!  Horrible "fight choreography", awful dialogue, and the plot... Look, just because you go meta and reference terrible, soulless, uninspired cash grabs and poke fun at them doesn't mean that it's okay to make a terrible, soulless, uninspired cash grab, and that's exactly what this was. Worst of all, it's 2 1/2 hours long! They didn't even have the common decency to keep this garbage short.

• Gasp! 1
  • Sad 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

13 minutes ago, Keyrock said:

I got suckered into watching Matrix 4. Here's my short review: *fart noise* *plop* *flushing sound*

Here's the long review: What a pile of ****!  Horrible "fight choreography", awful dialogue, and the plot... Look, just because you go meta and reference terrible, soulless, uninspired cash grabs and poke fun at them doesn't mean that it's okay to make a terrible, soulless, uninspired cash grab, and that's exactly what this was. Worst of all, it's 2 1/2 hours long! They didn't even have the common decency to keep this garbage short.

It's not all bad, thanks to it we get gems like this;

• Haha 4

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Being very charitable calling that a gem. 😛

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

25 minutes ago, Malcador said:

Being very charitable calling that a gem. 😛

I like Pitch Meeting. It's the only thing Screen Rant puts out that I like, the rest is Collider-level hot garbage.

• Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Just watched Soylent Green. It's set in 2022, so with the new year upon us, I thought I'd get a peek at what is in store for us.

If the movie is anything to go by, we're in for more mask wearing and supply chain issues.

• Haha 4
  • Gasp! 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

On 12/29/2021 at 1:27 PM, Keyrock said:

I like Pitch Meeting.

That's because Ryan George is a short comedy sketch God.

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

9 hours ago, Amentep said:

Just watched Soylent Green. It's set in 2022, so with the new year upon us, I thought I'd get a peek at what is in store for us.

If the movie is anything to go by, we're in for more mask wearing and supply chain issues.

FH_jmQ6WYAMRLHg?format=jpg&name=large

It is the thing to post today...

• Like 2
  • Gasp! 2

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

8 hours ago, Achilles said:

Watched Don't Look Up again. Glutton for punishment, I guess.

I thought this would be offensively bad from all the reviews but about 2/3 through it's just boring. Really just seems more like summary than satire.

• Like 2

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

We watched this after the hockey game last night:

The movie was pretty bad and more than a little weird and even a little disturbing.  But I was just so f----g stoked I could follow the dialogue without the sub-titles. I don't get to use Spanish very much and I'm pretty rusty. 

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

On 1/1/2022 at 11:46 AM, KP on top of ZA WARUDO said:

I thought this would be offensively bad from all the reviews but about 2/3 through it's just boring. Really just seems more like summary than satire.

This movie is particularly funny for Brazilians, since Bolsonaro seems to be following the script pretty closely. There are many similarities, including the after credits scene which, in Bolsonaro's case, happened when he tried to offer cloroquine to an emu and it pecked him.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

sign.jpg

9 minutes ago, InsaneCommander said:

This movie is particularly funny for Brazilians, since Bolsonaro seems to be following the script pretty closely. There are many similarities, including the after credits scene which, in Bolsonaro's case, happened when he tried to offer cloroquine to an emu and it pecked him.

It certainly tracks with the US, but it seems to do a lot more summarizing than satiring, if that makes sense.

Bolsonaro being pecked is hilarious though

• Thanks 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I watched that Shang-Chi and a buncha-glow-rings movie.
It felt slightly less USA super-hero-y than most Marvel. It was also totally absurd (sometimes to the point where a good-natured/fun chortle leaked out of my lips), the action was cool and visceral but so over-choreographed and/or CGI there was no sense of danger/suspense. It had most/all of the cliches and shallow development you might expect, and I likely will never care about watching it again - but for some reason, I quite enjoyed about 90% of it. Maybe I just liked most of the actors/actresses. Or maybe it was that cute faceless fuzzy creature. Or that water dragon. Or ...

===========

...after that I started to watch 2017's (live action) Blade of the Immortal, a Japanese Edo-period supernatural samurai movie. It's supernatural because the maiin chr. has been cursed with immortality - but not of the fun kind. Gets to feel all the pain, but it doesn't kill him/he heals up, even if stuff is cut off. Based on a manga I gather.  It starts out interesting/stark, with a bit of old-timey feel. Half way through however, the many one on one fights (there's a vengeance plot because of course there is) start to feel too one note and repetitive. Tends to be an issue when someone is, y'know, "immortal."  Good/well done bloody fantasy samurai action tho.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

^ I finished that Blade of the Immortal movie. The massive ending fight sequences were impressive for such a thing.
I also remembered there was an anime version of the story/manga and that I had actually tried to watch that via Amazon Prime a while back. I think I found the anime too weird and didn't get past a few episodes. Maybe I should try it again.

And also, the main antagonist looked familiar - and the actor had more charisma than the lead protagonist - so I looked him up. Apparently he was the lead in that live action Bleach movie that was on Netflix. Quite a different role/acting style.

That rewatch of the fever dream that is The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension.

So damn quotable, and the fun of doing the "spot them before they were really famous" character actors.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

3 hours ago, ShadySands said:

Don't Look Up. My wife loved it but I thought it was meh.?

What didnt you like about it, was it the unfair comparisons to Trump that bothered you? Shady its just a movie, we dont need to look judge everything in the optics of our political views 

;)

• Hmmm 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Power_of_the_Dog_(film)

The Power of the Dog, excellent movie set in 1925 in Montana around the lives of 2 brothers who own a successful cattle ranch and  these 2 brothers really cant be further apart. But to quote from the wiki link the movie is about " themes such as love, grief, resentment, jealousy and sexuality" 

Its directed by Jane Campion and I always like to see excellent movies directed by women

It also has some brilliant LGBT themes that are implemented in a such an expected and believable way :thumbsup:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela