Coronavirus: Continuing Vigilance

Amentep

On 4/13/2020 at 12:01 PM, HoonDing said:

Dr Fauxnews is on his way out.

he's prolly a Democrat anyway

The majority of medical professionals probably are Democrats, yes.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

https://bhekisisa.org/opinion/2020-04-10-coronavirus-covid19-lockdown-south-africa-mental-health-why-you-feel-tired/

Guys here is an excellent article explaining why despite having less to do while in lockdown you may be feeling more fatigued than normal 😴

• Like 2

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Another thing COVID has us running short of: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/coronavirus-seeds-americans-grow-food/

It's a lot of work but 1.5 acres of land, properly managed, can feed a person for a year. 

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

2 hours ago, rjshae said:

The majority of medical professionals probably are Democrats, yes.

well, "medical professionals" makes more broad than one might initial consider. doctors, nurses, hospice workers, emergency medical technicians, and "trained caregivers" is all considered medical professionals. whole lotta folks and am betting each category skews a bit different.

'ccording to wsj, for years (up until late 90s) doctors were gop stalwarts. has been a shift and is now closer to 50/50 with actual monetary contributions favoring democrats. 'course as with the rest o' society, republicans is more likely to bother to vote.

nurses, emts, hospice workers and trained caregivers? all we got is unreliable anecdotal evidence and such is predominant CA. 

FBI warns companies of employees faking coronavirus test results

"Last month, a South Carolina man was arrested and faces state charges after police say he similarly submitted fake documentation to his employer, indicating he contracted Covid-19. The call center where he worked was shut down for five days while the facility was disinfected.

"Spartanburg County Sheriff Chuck Wright told to CNN affiliate WSPA that it "seems to me like the fellow just wanted a two-week paid vacation.""

disappointing but not unexpected.

HA! Good Fun!

• Sad 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

6 minutes ago, Lexx said:

Great news everyone! The iranians have developed a device that can detect the virus: https://www.tasnimnews.com/en/news/2020/04/15/2244140/irgc-unveils-coronavirus-remote-detector

didn't know that iran had their own version o' the onion.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

46 minutes ago, Lexx said:

Great news everyone! The iranians have developed a device that can detect the virus: https://www.tasnimnews.com/en/news/2020/04/15/2244140/irgc-unveils-coronavirus-remote-detector

Looks familiar...

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

4 minutes ago, 213374U said:

Whatever it takes to keep Liverpool from winning a Premier League. 

Better to nuke Anfield.  Just to be safe.

• Haha 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Upworthy - Last month was the first March in 18 years that the US had no school shootings

Although that's not technically counting

According to Everytown for Gun Safety, an organization that tracks gun violence in the U.S., there were seven shootings on school campuses in March 2020. However, four were accidental discharges, one took place between adults on high school football field, and two occurred on college campuses, but involved no students.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

a clever quick solution if you don't have masks and don't have skills/supplies to craft one.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 2

A new peak of 2,500 deaths was reached yesterday.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-russia-cases-idUSKCN21X0TE

I see Russia has also horrendously mishandled the virus and its impact, I did find it strange they were sending doctors to Italy when they should have been addressing the virus in there own country 

The crisis in Russia is going to be exacerbated as it looks like they have only in the last 10 days acknowledged or realized how it has impacted there own country...and we know with this virus 1 days of lackluster response is like ignoring spread for a week. I hope they are able to address this quickly or effectively in the interests of there own well being. I dont like or respect  Putin but this is not about our political views but rather our own humanity and how all countries will emerge from this pandemic

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

2 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

A new peak of 2,500 deaths was reached yesterday.

am thinking peaks and curves is simple concepts which is great for communicating with a large group o' people, but such might be oversimplifications for the US, particularly as the fed has been visible during daily briefings but has otherwise abandoned a leadership role.

couldn't help but chuckle, darkly, at the thought the US is beginning to, from a practical perspective, look more like our old crimson skies board game map.

340?cb=20080813210341

michigan's peak is still a bit temporal remote even if new york is final seeing a decrease in new hospital admits. south dakota has just begun to see the 3-4 day doubling rate which is becoming typical o' disease hotspots, which means cases is gonna be increasing for a considerable period o' time.

thank goodness the roosevelt were able to get to guam and see sailors distanced and quarantined 'cause the naval vessel represents the #2 case hotspot in the entire nation with 585 all by its lonesome.

general trends for the US might be a bit misleading. cdc, muzzled and humbled a bit by trump pressers, nevertheless has been more vocal recent with their warnings regarding anticipated seasonal recurrence o' covid. as we got no proven therapeutics and a vaccine is at least a year away, social distancing is the only real tool we got to combat covid-19 and as such there is gonna be new hotspots from time-to-time as this is a novel virus with only native human resistance to protect those exposed. 

w/o adequate testing and given this virus spreads asymptomatic, US is gonna be playing whack-a-mole with virus hotspots for some time to come, particular as a few governors is clear not grasping the gravity o' the situation and singlehanded validating the florida man memes.

HA! Good Fun!

ps we very much wanted to use our shadowrun map, but the united canadian and american states were just too vast to make it analogous. can hip pocket shadowrun for 2021?

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 1

BBC - Captain Tom Moore finished NHS fundraiser as it tops £12million

_111817147_ct2.jpg

A 99-year-old war veteran has walked 100 laps of his garden to raise more than £12m for the NHS.

Captain Tom Moore originally wanted to raise £1,000 for NHS Charities Together by completing laps of his garden before his 100th birthday.

But he smashed his target after more than 640,000 people made donations to his fundraising page.

As he finished the challenge, he said: "I feel fine, I hope you're all feeling fine too."

Capt Tom told the BBC earlier that the total amount raised so far was "an absolutely fantastic sum of money".

"I never dreamt I would be involved in such an occasion as this," he said at the end of his final lap.

By 11:00 BST, Capt Tom's JustGiving page, which temporarily crashed shortly after he finished the challenge, was showing donations of more than £12.5m.

His daughter Hannah Ingram-Moore said: "We are absolutely floored by what has been achieved but we're so happy, so humbled and so proud.

"He's a beacon of hope in dark times and I think we all need something like this to believe in and it's for such an amazing cause."

• Like 6

having read the new guidelines/phases, couldn't help but be reminded o' the old joke:

A ‪‎physicist, an ‪‎engineer and an ‪‎economist are stranded in the desert. They are hungry. Suddenly, they find a can of corn. They want to open it, but how?

The physicist says: “Let’s start a fire and place the can inside the flames. It will explode and then we will all be able to eat”.

“Are you crazy?” says the engineer. “All the corn will burn and scatter, and we’ll have nothing. We should use a metal wire, attach it to a base, push it and crack the can open.”

“Both of you are wrong!” states the economist. “Where the hell do we find a metal wire in the desert?! The solution is simple: ASSUME we have a can opener”

so, assume we have enough testing and ppe...

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-china-toll-idUSKBN21Z052

China has "admitted " there initial reporting on the deaths Wuhen were incorrect , they now say there were about 4600  deaths......4600 total deaths from the epicenter of the virus, where the virus was its most virulent and  where the Chinese and the world didnt understand the nature of the virus is a joke

China should add a 0 to that number and even then I would not be convinced its the accurate number if you look at the deaths we are seeing throughout the world 

But I understand honest disclosure is new to China so this should be seen as a positive ....I suppose :ermm:

John Milton 

Business Insider - Trump Administration paid a bankrupt company with no employees $55 million to produce n95 masks

In this chaotic effort to obtain supplies, the Trump administration awarded a $55 million contract to Panthera Worldwide LLC, a company with no expertise in the world of medical equipment, for N95 masks, The Washington Post reported on Wednesday.

Panthera's parent company filed for bankruptcy protection last fall, and one of its owners last year said it'd had no employees since May 2018, The Post reported, citing sworn testimony. It's no longer listed as an LLC in Virginia, where its main office is, after fees went unpaid, the newspaper said.

Panthera, which describes itself as a tactical training company for the US military and other government agencies, has no record of producing medical supplies or equipment, The Post said.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra