Coronavirus: Continuing Vigilance

Amentep

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

18 hours ago, 213374U said:

The sky's the limit with a well-funded and relatively efficient bureaucracy that isn't in equal parts infiltrated by ****-eating political activists and impeded by gross government incompetence, I guess.

Let me know when you find one

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

3 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

Let me know when you find one

Here you go.

In other news, some ****bag put a used paper tissue in my mailbox the other day. Wish I knew who they are, so we could have an enriching and completely civilized exchange of opinions, up close.

That's the real Spain you won't see in YT.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Gasp! 1
  • Sad 1

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

I haven't checked the other thread, but I assume somebody already posted the news about people burning down 5G towers because they were causing the disease? :banghead::facepalm:

Edit: here it is UK mobile carriers politely ask people to stop burning 5G towers

"Multiple cell towers were targeted in the UK last week in apparent arson attacks, after online conspiracy theories have been falsely linking the spread of the coronavirus pandemic to the roll out of 5G. There’s no scientific evidence to suggest a link, but the theories have been spreading widely on social networks like Facebook and Nextdoor."

Edited by InsaneCommander
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

sign.jpg

10 hours ago, InsaneCommander said:

I haven't checked the other thread, but I assume somebody already posted the news about people burning down 5G towers because they were causing the disease? :banghead::facepalm:

Edit: here it is UK mobile carriers politely ask people to stop burning 5G towers

"Multiple cell towers were targeted in the UK last week in apparent arson attacks, after online conspiracy theories have been falsely linking the spread of the coronavirus pandemic to the roll out of 5G. There’s no scientific evidence to suggest a link, but the theories have been spreading widely on social networks like Facebook and Nextdoor."

1 hour ago, Elerond said:

EVPCOlgUMAANRE2?format=jpg&name=900x900

I wonder why there are people who trust conspiracy theories and don't care what scientific evidence says 🙄 

It's easier?

• Haha 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Just now, Gfted1 said:

Whats the lead in, NY crematoriums are full too?

In my understanding unclaimed are buried in mass graves instead of incinerated because policy to give their families ability to claim bodies in later date. Also in tv series cops always find evidence helping them to catch serial killer from some poor soul buried in the mass grave whose death was not properly investigated, which may or may not have influenced officials in their decision to keep using mass graves.   

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Elerond said:

I wonder why there are people who trust conspiracy theories and don't care what scientific evidence says 🙄 

Have you read the article? It says literally nothing about not trusting scientific evidence and there is not a single reference to conspiracy theories.

Rather, it's about the elephant in the room: we supposedly pay politicians to make complex decisions that are affected by different factors and with ramifications that are both important and difficult to estimate -- the exact opposite of the experimental conditions in which scientists are used to working. By leaving policy‑making to epidemiologists, we are simply pretending that the consequences of the measures undertaken to fight the pandemic don't exist, or don't matter. That's a rather two‑dimensional view to take, and frankly, I'd hope -if not expect- that government officials know better. It is not the experts' job to detail an exit strategy -- it is the executive's, based on recommendations and data provided by experts from different fields.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2020/04/09/cannot-leave-lockdown-exit-strategy-experts/

Edited by 213374U
grammarly grammar

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Nearly 10% of carrier's crew of 4,800 has coronavirus

"“A U.S. Navy Sailor assigned to USS Theodore Roosevelt (CVN 71) was admitted to the Intensive Care Unit (ICU) of the U.S. Naval Hospital Guam April 9,” said a Navy statement.

"“The Sailor tested positive for COVID-19 on March 30 and at the time of hospitalization was in a 14-day isolation period on Naval Base Guam. More details will be released when they become available.”

"The sailor was found unresponsive Thursday morning while in isolation at Naval Base Guam, according to a U.S. official. Emergency personnel administered CPR and the sailor was transferred to the base hospital to be placed in ICU where the official the sailor is in critical condition."

has taken a long time to get most o' the sailors tested, which might not be a huge surprise considering number o' sailors involved and fact they is in guam. 

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Trump is seriously considering opening the USA on the 1 May....as much as I wish this was realistic I cannot see how this would be prudent  

If you look at how China has addressed this spread effectively you will see how much hard work they have had to do and they still arent open for business. Of course no  country has the approach that China has due to numerous factors including how badly the virus impacted China and how China has not shared the true nature of the virus impact but you can see still the overall strategy

For example they are using hundreds of thousands, I just watched this on CNN,  of newly appointed people to purely track contact tracing....." hundreds of thousands of people " just for effective contract tracing. That number of people just for contact tracing boggles my mind and I have to hope this is due to the population size and how many potential people are effected

Has anyone considered what would be effective strategy once your country decides to end its quarantine? I know we all just trying to currently ensure we  end new infections and people survive but the whole " country coming back online "  strategy is at the back of my mind and what that practically means?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

"China has addressed this spread effectively "

L0L The disease spread from one Chinese city to almost the entire world. How in the world can you claim with a straight face that they addressed this spread 'effectively'? That's delusional gobblygook.

China, btw, is a country that had done some of the following things effectively:

1. Punish a doctor for telling the truth. he subsequently died.

2. Lie about number of deaths.

3. Claimed it was over when there a few days with no deaths then it started again.

4. reopened certainly things (theatres) only to have to close them not even a week later.

People who praise China are drinking the koolaid. Don't be like PM Blackface. Never admire the Chinese gov't in the way it 'runs' things.

• Like 1

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

For me, the issue here is more hypocrisy than anything. Let's be honest, if Ford, or some other right winger was caught wearing blackface they'd be crucified. Yet the media and others gave PM Blackface a pass and even relected him. LMAO No douybt if a member of PM Blackface's team had got caught wearing it he would have ****canned them in a heartbeat.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

1 hour ago, 213374U said:

Have you read the article? It says literally nothing about not trusting scientific evidence and there is not a single reference to conspiracy theories.

Rather, it's about the elephant in the room: we supposedly pay politicians to make complex decisions that are affected by different factors and with ramifications that are both important and difficult to estimate -- the exact opposite of the experimental conditions in which scientists are used to working. By leaving policy‑making to epidemiologists, we are simply pretending that the consequences of the measures undertaken to fight the pandemic don't exist, or don't matter. That's a rather two‑dimensional view to take, and frankly, I'd hope -if not expect- that government officials know better. It is not the experts' job to detail an exit strategy -- it is the executive's, based on recommendations and data provided by experts from different fields.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2020/04/09/cannot-leave-lockdown-exit-strategy-experts/

It is the title and tone of article which is quite common these days in media which (based on my unproven hypothesis) helps to create atmosphere where scientific evidence and expert testimonies are viewed by many just opinions among others, which leads culture where people just pick opinions/beliefs that fit their worldview best, which has lead many to see conspiracy theories as actual proven things.

Politicians are elected to be people's representatives in governmental bodies to decide which direction and how country should proceed. Their decisions are supposed to based on scenarios/options given by experts and bureaucrats of multiple fields so that they can pick best possible route for people they represent and country's chosen path should be option picked by majority of people's representatives and execution of that chosen path done by bunch of experts of their fields and bureaucrats who run governmental institutes and is overseen by cabinet of ministers which consist of representatives,  bureaucrats and experts multiple fields.

So we need experts to give us possible exits strategies from which we (our representatives) can pick one which we think is best for us and then let experts in our institutes to do and give guidance what is needed to execute that strategy. 

37 minutes ago, Elerond said:

It is the title and tone of article which is quite common these days in media which (based on my unproven hypothesis) helps to create atmosphere where scientific evidence and expert testimonies are viewed by many just opinions among others, which leads culture where people just pick opinions/beliefs that fit their worldview best, which has lead many to see conspiracy theories as actual proven things.

What's objectionable about the title or the tone of the article? If you quote specific paragraphs you have an issue with, perhaps we can discuss that.

Because it looks more like another twatter fail to me, than a problem with the piece itself. Don't get me wrong, there's plenty to criticize regarding op-eds in the media being passed off as "expert" testimony. Social media in general are also like that, except with likes whoring, and even worse snr with utter idiocy going viral.

45 minutes ago, Elerond said:

So we need experts to give us possible exits strategies from which we (our representatives) can pick one which we think is best for us and then let experts in our institutes to do and give guidance what is needed to execute that strategy. 

Disagree. An epidemiologist is going to provide figures and predictions taken from a mathematical model that works along the lines of (if [parameter] then [output]) because they are literally a bunch of differential equations and certain assumptions about infection dynamics. By itself, that isn't enough to become policy, and an epidemiologist prescribing anything beyond "wash your hands, use face masks" as policy is overstepping. Public health policies are multi-faceted matters that require a multidisciplinary approach. I'm not just making this up, it's what epidemiologists informing the UK's policy noted:

"Last, while experience in China and now South Korea show that suppression is possible in the short term, it remains to be seen whether it is possible long-term, and whether the social and economic costs of the interventions adopted thus far can be reduced."

"We do not consider the ethical or economic implications of either strategy here, except to note that
there is no easy policy decision to be made. Suppression, while successful to date in China and South
Korea, carries with it enormous social and economic costs which may themselves have significant
impact on health and well-being in the short and longer-term. "

To put it differently: we are absolving politicians of their responsibility to come up with workable solutions that go beyond "do exactly what it says in this technical report" and **** the consequences because the experts said so. We don't elect scientists, and we don't hold scientists accountable. Passing the buck is unacceptable.

Now that **** has hit the fan, people are turning to "science" like they used to turn to religion. Anything to stave off uncertainty, I guess.

12 minutes ago, Raithe said:

With all the Covid Conspiracies, lets add a dose of whimsy...

92372339_10117504167445004_2821790180577

Quick! Everyone get married, stat! And close all McD's/Taco Bells just in case (we don't need those anyway).

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

10 hours ago, Elerond said:

EVPCOlgUMAANRE2?format=jpg&name=900x900

Because the W.H.O has been bought and payed by China and everyone knows that Chinese doctors were reporting cases as early as November?

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif