The Weird, Random or Interesting Things That Fit Nowhere Else Thread

Blarghagh

In California you cannot be a firefighter or EMT if you have a criminal record. But, there is such a shortage of firefighter during the wildfire season that they are recruiting prisoner trustees to help out. So... lemme see if I have this straight. While they are IN prison they can be firefighters. But when they get OUT of Prison they can't? Government in action!

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/policing/2017/11/03/prisoners-who-risk-their-lives-during-calif-wildfires-shouldnt-shut-out-profession/827215001/

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

$1 an hour? SLAVERY.

I don't why you'd automatically be Banned  from being an EMT or firefighter simply for having a 'criminal record'. I would think logic would dictate it should be depend on the actual crime commited. Now, if you got thrown in priosn for starting fires... yeah.. banned from firefighting. Then again, the gov't has a habit of hiring ex hacker criminals... So... L0L

That said, I would not be shocked if said article writer demands athletes or cleebrities whom commit a crime (or even accused of what) be banned from participating in their jobs.  Or not.Of course, they had to make it a 'racial issue'. LMAO

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

$1 an hour? SLAVERY.

I think I have to talk to my boss.....

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

In California you cannot be a firefighter or EMT if you have a criminal record. But, there is such a shortage of firefighter during the wildfire season that they are recruiting prisoner trustees to help out. So... lemme see if I have this straight. While they are IN prison they can be firefighters. But when they get OUT of Prison they can't? Government in action!

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/policing/2017/11/03/prisoners-who-risk-their-lives-during-calif-wildfires-shouldnt-shut-out-profession/827215001/

CalFire actually hires a lot of those former prison firefighters, so that article is pretty loose with the facts.

They may not be getting a real wage for the work, but they are given valuable training and get to spend part of their sentence being treated like a hero instead of a prisoner. Seems like a pretty good deal, it is voluntary.

https://iso.500px.com/exclusive-the-story-behind-the-most-intense-lion-portrait/

Story behind this pretty cool photo of a lion

aKVoEwN_700b.jpg

• Like 3

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

'voluntary'

Not sure why you would consider it otherwise. They are free to sit in a cell and serve out the sentence that way.

Also you get 3 days of time served for every 1 say of service, so you can cut your sentence down considerably.

I have no problem with them getting a better wage, but lets remember that they are getting free training, food, and shelter for their service. Former inmates and fire chiefs who have worked with the crews all rave about the program.

But can they become firefighters after getting out of prison then? Didn't read the article, but Guard Dog mentioned exactly that. If that's true... it's really stupid.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

But can they become firefighters after getting out of prison then? Didn't read the article, but Guard Dog mentioned exactly that. If that's true... it's really stupid.

They can, but their opportunities are limited by felony convictions.

CalFire has a reputation for hiring them. As I said, you can find a number of success stories. We are in desperate need of prison reform in the US, but this type of program seems to be the right way to rehabilitate.

The problem is both in the EMT licensing, which is restricted, and the City and Municipal departments not being willing to hire them. I don't really get the licensing restriction. They should be able to take the test. But I can't really argue with the city and municipalities not hiring them. Those jobs are already in high demand. They are looking to filter out any possible risky behaviors, and a felony conviction is going to be a pretty big red flag. 

https://www.mercurynews.com/2017/11/21/opinion-a-skilled-cal-fire-firefighter-as-an-inmate-shes-barred-from-career-now-that-shes-free/

https://warontherocks.com/2018/08/shocking-wildfires-into-submission-a-proposal/

Seems like a fitting American solution

Edited by Malcador

Saw that one elsewhere. It was right after an arrest (you'd think an arrest would actually stop him from getting on the plane, was probably a warrant than an actual arrest) for domestic violence. So, it's sort of like, domestic violence? I'll show you domestic violence!

The wife and his kid escaped unharmed though.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/first-world-war-ii-masters-degree-program-will-launch-january-180969971/

am suspecting there is more to it than watching a bunch o' good war movies and documentaries, but...

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Bridge on the River Kwai is Vietnam though...

correcting you is making us feel old.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)