The Weird, Random or Interesting Things That Fit Nowhere Else Thread

Blarghagh

@Malc: Eye of the beholder. Sure Starry Night today, but 10 Houses Painted in Protest jackassery tomorrow. Also, most suburban and urban housing in the US are within direct sightline of several other properties. So just having functioning eyeballs will cause a person to notice the house.

Don't see the problem with most of those paint jobs either, to be honest, the Cape Cod one looks nice to me even if it is my favourite colour.  :p 

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I'd say if you don't like your neighbors paint job you have a few options:

1. Move
  2. Buy their house
  3. Plant trees or build a fence so you can't see it
  4. Mind your own business and just live with it
  5. Go to hell

They can take their pick.

My little private property rant does not include "managed communities" with homeowners association. You know what kind of BS you're buying into there. If you choose to live in Mordor don't bitch about what Sauron & Orcs are doing. You signed up for that.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

6. Sit outside and play PC game soundtracks on your phone/BT speaker, not loud but just enough to be off putting to them.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Seems like almost all the new homes being built today have HOA's.

Homes are investments, especially new ones. Gotta keep out home owner's that would bring down the price of homes in the area. More necessary now that the housing bubble burst in order to see returns on one's home.

Seems like almost all the new homes being built today have HOA's.

Homes are investments, especially new ones. Gotta keep out home owner's that would bring down the price of homes in the area. More necessary now that the housing bubble burst in order to see returns on one's home.

That doesn't give anyone decision making rights on the exterior decorations of homes they don't own. Unless it's an HOA. Then it does. An HOA is an agreement all the owners enter into together willingly. I have no problem with what they do among themselves.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

It would have made more sense if it was an HOA trying to stop them but it was the city and their reasoning wasn't very good. Oh, you can't have a Starry Night mural wall because the walls have to match the house. So they paint the house to match then the city tried to claim it was an unapproved sign... okay. I'm not surprised they lost. The reasoning of the parents doesn't even need to factor into that decision

• Like 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

HOAs seem like a nightmare to walk into.

Heh. I can't even chose form or colour of my house. It's been deemed "culturally valuable" for some reason, and as such it must be painted in "falu-red" with white corners. The municipality was kind enough to allow the stairway to the upper floors, which was added in the 30's or 40's, but is built on the side of the house.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

I dunno, I think most places will probably have ordinances to cover those things directly, my hometown did. The problem was that they had no such limits in this specific case and the stuff they tried to apply just wasn't applicable.

Free games updated 3/4/21

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

"They were so preoccupied with whether or not they could build a 25ft Jeff Goldblum by Tower Bridge, they didn't stop to think if they should."

jeff-goldblum-statue-today-180718-2-inli

Life has found a way to give the world the statue it never saw coming, a 25-foot re-creation of an open-shirted Jeff Goldblum from the original "Jurassic Park" that has become London's newest tourist attraction

The European telecommunications company Now TV had the statue erected on Wednesday in Potters Fields, a non-Jurassic park in front of London's Tower Bridge, in celebration of the 25th anniversary of the initial installment of the franchise being released in the United Kingdom.

The statue depicts Goldblum's wryly funny character, Dr. Ian Malcolm, in a famous scene in which he sits on his side with his shirt open as he recovers from a nasty run-in with a T-Rex that left him with a broken leg.

• Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Like I always say, if you want to make something go away, you ignore it. Try to ban it and people push back, sometimes out of sheet stubbornness, and that thing you wanted to get rid of is more prevalent than ever. https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/2018/07/18/tennessee-confederate-flag-license-plates-increase/790710002/

Thomas Sowell

"They were so preoccupied with whether or not they could build a 25ft Jeff Goldblum by Tower Bridge, they didn't stop to think if they should."

jeff-goldblum-statue-today-180718-2-inli

Life has found a way to give the world the statue it never saw coming, a 25-foot re-creation of an open-shirted Jeff Goldblum from the original "Jurassic Park" that has become London's newest tourist attraction

The European telecommunications company Now TV had the statue erected on Wednesday in Potters Fields, a non-Jurassic park in front of London's Tower Bridge, in celebration of the 25th anniversary of the initial installment of the franchise being released in the United Kingdom.

The statue depicts Goldblum's wryly funny character, Dr. Ian Malcolm, in a famous scene in which he sits on his side with his shirt open as he recovers from a nasty run-in with a T-Rex that left him with a broken leg.

Bring in Sam Neill, I want him to recreate my favorite gif of all time.

tumblr_o7v0h8epaF1syjk6zo1_500.gif

• Like 4

So people who claim that political correctness destroys our world got person fired because of his years old politically incorrect tweets.

http://www.vulture.com/2018/07/james-gunn-fired-from-guardians-of-the-galaxy-vol-3.html?utm_medium=s1&utm_campaign=vulture&utm_source=tw

James Gunn Fired From Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3

James Gunn will no longer direct Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3, according to a statement from a Disney spokesperson. The director’s dismissal comes after his old tweets joking about pedophilia and rape were recirculated by Trump supporters online. “The offensive attitudes and statements discovered on James’ Twitter feed are indefensible and inconsistent with our studio’s values, and we have severed our business relationship with him,” Walt Disney Studios chairman Alan Horn said in a statement. Gunn had been at work on the third Guardians of the Galaxy installment, set for release in fall 2020.

The world will end on July 27. Six days to go, woo hoo!

Edit: Well shoot. The link to the video doesn't work. Well, you'll just have to take my word for it. Well, that is you'll have to take my word that some guy named Paul Begley said it would. I'll tell you what will definitely happen on July 27. The earth will get between the sun and the moon. Happens all the time. Only this time between Jewish holidays or some such. Assign what importance to that you will. Happens 3-4 times a year at least. 

I say we have a party. If you gotta go, go s--t faced. 

Hey there it is on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwCwVfKIalg

By the way, Jesus also said "But of that day and hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels of heaven, but my Father only."  But, by all means speculate away. It's entertaining. 

Edited by Guard Dog

Thomas Sowell

If we take into account every doomsday prophecy that has ever gained any amount of measurable attention, we're probably like 0 for 6482630746 on apocalypse predictions. I suppose it only takes 1 to be correct... :p

As an aside, if the apocalypse were to actually happen, what would your preffered method be? Biblical Armageddon, zombie apocalypse, robot apocalypse, meteor, super volcano eruption, alien attack, something else?

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks