The Weird, Random or Interesting Things That Fit Nowhere Else Thread

Blarghagh

Well, hardly an insignificant detail but as you do again. He does talk about a fair amount of points, I'm not picking up on him saying what happened to him is on the same level as being raped and is just similar in the aspect of issues faced when reporting it.

Also, not sure this really is opportunistic attention seeking, former seems very unlikely as I'm not convinced this will be a noticeable boon to him as people generally seem to like him. Good thing he didn't deck the guy that groped him though, he'd end up serving 5 years.  Well or shot to death by the cops scared of a muscled black guy :lol:

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Given the discussion, are we now classifying Gfted1 as a weird, random or interesting thing that fits nowhere else?

:biggrin:

• Like 2

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I am going to guess most who would care about this already know about it, but low percentage shots is what life is all about.

Hm, thought I'd copied a link to the playlist.  In any event it's just the thehistoryofrome.com podcast (I have to listen via YT at work :p )

Edited by Malcador
  • Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Given the discussion, are we now classifying Gfted1 as a weird, random or interesting thing that fits nowhere else?

Loose ground to raise a cross on, don't you think ?

Loose ground to raise a cross on, don't you think ?

I was making a joke? :unsure:

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

The funny thing about drunk driving is no one is suggesting banning cars. 

we have banned alcohol.   didn't work out, but even today, alcohol consumption is far more subject to legislative limits than is firearms.  autos? autos is a useful tool with many peaceful applications.  the day gd is able to get his kids to school on time by shooting them or perhaps transport his pumpkins to market via shotgun, then he maybe has a worthy analogy. can't see a reason to differentiate weapons and drugs from other kinds o' consumer products? gonna be a dead end discussion. 

converse, and more appropriate, try and think o' the weapon which ain't banned somewheres in the US.  chemical and biological weapons is understandably verboten almost everywheres in the world... 'cept syria it seems.  any number o' useful poisons for agriculture, pest control and medicinal use (at appropriate dosages/concentrations) is arguable chemical weapons, but such poisons is commonly restricted and even banned in spite o' their usefulness.  wmd is understandably prohibited from private use.  swords and bladed weapons down to penknife size is banned in many municipalities-- some clown invariably wants to walk around in public with his claymore or katana and is shocked when he is arrested for doing so.  heck, slingshot possession and use is criminalized in more than one place.  even baseball bats, which is actual having a peaceful utility amd primary design purpose, must needs be transported in a legislative appropriate bag in more than a few cities.

guns is aberrational as far as legal protections is concerned. as is norm on the topic, gd is going at this bass ackwards. handguns, in spite o' lethality and sheer magnitude o' homicides, suicides and accidents related to their usage, is less subject to rational legislation than is almost any other kinda weapon.  there is indeed a Constitutional basis for increased protections o' firearms, and as such, constitutional convention or amendment process need be the means o' change.  even so, try and find reason beyond law why handguns deserve protections 2018 more than other kinda weapons is gonna fail.  

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Firearms are also useful tools with peaceful applications like hunting, skeet & target shooting, and collecting. The misuse of ANYTHING is in the hands of the user not the thing itself. And my firearms are hardly the most dangerous thing I own. I have sixty pounds of diammonium phosphate in my shed. I also have a gallon of paint thinner, powdered detergent and gasoline. And an advanced education in chemistry. I think you know what can be made from all that. Obviously it will never happen because I don't misuse my things or want to hurt anyone. 

At the risk of re-plowing the same field I am in agreement with you regarding handguns. It's a compromise I'd be willing to make in return for an unambiguous protection of the individual right to rifles and shotguns with a minimum of restrictions. The restrictions being limited to certain types of action (full auto) and background checks as required by the laws of whatever state they are owned in. But, you and i are in charge of exactly nothing and the powers that be are contesting between the two extremes: no guns for anyone, all guns for everyone. When presented with only two choices I'll take the latter. Maybe someday, as I said to Enoch, the culture will change and the 2nd Amendment goes the way of the 3rd. It becomes an obsolete protection of something no one cares about anymore. Like I said to him I'd be fine with that. What I'm an not fine with is other people telling me what i can or cannot have in my home when I'm breaking no laws nor hurting anyone. 

Of course the battle lines are hardened and the more the left pushes for control the harder the right fights against it. Obama was the greatest gun salesman of the 20th century and congress never even tried serious gun control during his two terms. 

Being completely honest I seriously doubt the Democrats REALLY want gun control. The same way the Republicans don't REALLY want to overturn Roe. In both cases the backlash would be tremendous. And the elimination of either issue deprives either side a guaranteed fund raising tool and campaign noise maker. 

Of course if you were the dictator of the country and decreed handguns illegal this very afternoon that will not eliminate a single one of them. You have two choices: Wait the 15-20 years it takes for the problem to fade away. Probably longer. Or take them. And doing that using polices forces that have already demonstrated they 0 ability to handle situations like that with tact and nuance. You think gun violence is bad now? After a few folks have to have them taken from their "cold dead hands" the cops will be shooting everyone in sight, innocent or not. 

So that really leaves only one viable option. Wait for the culture to change. Wait for movies and video games that don't glorify gun fights and violence and stuff like that. I'm not going to hold my breath on that one either. Hey we liked Ms. Pac-Man, Q-bert, & Asteroids but they would be a hard sell today.  

Sounds like the smart play it take steps to protect myself from criminals with guns because they are likely not going anywhere. 

Now, on your main point which calls back to something you and I have discussed before, how much are societies problems are MY problems. Or anyone's. I'd like to come back to that one a bit later.  

Edited by Guard Dog

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

• Like 2

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

"Wait for the culture to change" GD, I know you like to read, have you read Martin Luther King's 'Why We Can't Wait'?

Not making a point, just thought you might find it interesting.

I am familiar. And during the gay marriage/adoption debate this was often referenced. Dr. King is describing a world where rights were acknowledged in fact but curtailed in application. There was no Equal Employment. When King wrote this. Affirmative action existed only in government jobs. Despite Brown vs Board already being 10 years old most schools were still segregated. The Civil Rights act would not be passed for two more years. For poor southern AA the depression never ended. Banks would not lend to them in many cases. Change, despite being essentially mandated was happening at a snail's pace. If at all.

The culture change I was referring to is completely different. Today the rights of gun ownership have never been more secure or permissive. For that to change there are two options. Change the law of the land and then take them away from armed people, many of whom would rather fight than hand them over. Or try and change the culture to where fewer people need or want firearms. I really don't know HOW to do that but it might be happening organically. 

When I said the 2nd Amendment might go the way of the third, this is what I was referring to: No Soldier shall, in time of peace be quartered in any house, without the consent of the Owner, nor in time of war, but in a manner to be prescribed by law

This was a problem in 1776. It has not been a problem since. It's a protection that no one really needs. If fewer and few people feel the need or desire to own firearms the 2nd amendment could go this way. Starting in the depression Americans started moving from rural communities to cities and urban areas. That is where the work was. In the '20's around 40% of Americans lived in cities (don't quote me on these figures. I'm mentally referring to  book i read a few years ago). After WW2 it was almost 60%. as of 2010 is was 81%. Firearm ownership is not a solely rural phenomenon but people who own more than one and regularly enjoy their firearms are mainly rural and small town. When I lived in South Florida it was $15 and hour to go to the range. Now my range is my back yard. 

Most of the urban firearm owners keep a weapon for home protection. Sure some are hunters, collectors and shooting enthusiasts. But not the majority I think. So if crime becomes less of a problem, and it has been since peaking in the early '90s, fewer people feel the need to protect themselves. So to change the culture step one is doing something about crime. Which drives at the heart of Gromnir's argument. Well, I've got a few "gimme's" right off the bat. 

•  Legalize recreational drugs like marijuana. You can spend more time in prison for rolling dried plant matter in a piece of paper and lighting it on fire than you could if your broke into someones home. It's absurd. 
  • Stop prosecuting non-violent drug offenses, prostitution, and other trivial offenses. No victim = No crime.
  • Reform business licensing regulation and fees. If you make something harder to do, fewer people will do it. We need to encourage people to start small business and side jobs. Not make it harder and more expensive.

Another difference the "urbanization" of Americans makes is exposure to firearms of children. I learned gun safety before I learned to ride a bicycle. I had my own .22 rifle before I was 10 years old and knew how to handle it safely. I don't even remember how young I was when I started small game hunting. When I grew up hunting and fishing were not just things we did for fun. It was an important supplement to our family's diet. It's might still be like that in some places but not nearly as many as the '70's when i was a child. Kids who are exposed to firearms young are much more likely to become gun owning adults. That is also happening at a much lower rate now.

The trends indicate gun ownership is slowing decreasing in the US. It may well go away on it's own if people are willing to wait another generation or two. But the absolute fastest way to derail that would be to attempt some kind of prohibition and confiscation. 

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell

This probably fits in both this thread and the funny thread, but it's not actually a joke, so... Facebook algorithm marks part of the US Independence document as 'racist: https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-44722728 The part that triggered it was a section that said 'merciless indian savages'. Basically, the algorithm didn't recognize it as being part of a historical document.

Congrats to Memphis TN. This year you are the fourth worst US city to live in. Way to go! Up from 5th last year, look at you! Look I know you've got some stiff competition ahead of you. Flint MI has poison water, Detroit is a post-apocalyptic wasteland, and St. Louis is the 2nd best place to get murdered in the US, But if you apply yourself I just KNOW you can knock one of them from the top 3!

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/economy/2018/07/05/cities-americans-abandoning-population-migration/35801453/

Edited by Guard Dog

Thomas Sowell

Congrats to Memphis TN. This year you are the fourth worst US city to live in. Way to go! Up from 5th last year, look at you! Look I know you've got some stiff competition ahead of you. Flint MI has poison water, Detroit is a post-apocalyptic wasteland, and St. Louis is the 2nd best place to get murdered in the US, But if you apply yourself I just KNOW you can knock one of them from the top 3!

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/economy/2018/07/05/cities-americans-abandoning-population-migration/35801453/

Kind of a strange list, because I would think the change percentage would be more important than just the migration numbers. For example the LA area is number 2, but it still saw a 4% increase in pop due to birthrates. It's also expensive as heck. 

I liked Memphis a lot when we did our tour. It was nicer than any of the cities we stayed at in Texas, Louisiana, and Missouri. 

• Like 1

It's a nice place to visit. Especially if you like blues music, barbecue, & history. But you wouldn't want to live there.

Thomas Sowell

Um, Memphis is 6th on that list GD.

I beg to differ sir! :lol:

Thomas Sowell

• Like 3

Thomas Sowell