The Weird, Random or Interesting Things That Fit Nowhere Else Thread

Blarghagh

Did you know that marriage makes you 42% less likely to develop heart disease? And 55% less likely to suffer a stroke? And less likely to get dementia? https://www.yahoo.com/news/marriage-literally-good-heart-study-225324808.html

Of course the article fails to mention the stress marriage induces. Especially a bad marriage. I've done extensive studies on that subject myself.

• Like 4

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/06/19/west-point-grad-who-posed-with-communism-will-win-in-cap-discharged.html

Since we seem to be short on Communists on the forum of late, I figure this is more random than political. I'm sure many will applaud the discharge, but I worry that it really only reinforces his beliefs and makes his story more attractive to those who share in them.  :shrugz:

Should have been more subtle about it. Wonder what enemies Rubio is referring to, Cuba I am guessing.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

The USMA, Naval & Air Force academies are not regular universities. You are in the military the moment you become a Cadet/Midshipman. That means you do not get to say/do whatever you please. Especially in uniform. It's called "the service" because you are putting certain aspects of your life and even liberties on hold for a higher cause.

This ain't Berkley.

Edited by Guard Dog
  • Like 2

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

The USMA, Naval & Air Force academies are not regular universities. You are in the military the moment you become a Cadet/Midshipman. That means you do not get to say/do whatever you please. Especially in uniform. It's called "the service" because you are putting certain aspects of your life and even liberties on hold for a higher cause.

This ain't Berkley.

Sure, he also served as an Army Ranger in Afghanistan though, so he isn't just some wet behind the ears liberal college kid. It seems like he knew exactly what he was doing and was looking for the dishonorable discharge.

He got a General Discharge, not dishonorable. You really have to f--k up to get one of those. They usually come at the end of a vacation in exotic Ft. Leavenworth.

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell

Sounds like he had a good tour .

https://www.armytimes.com/news/your-army/2018/06/19/commie-cadet-sends-vulgar-message-on-his-way-out-of-the-army/

“We were bullies in one of the poorest countries on Earth,” Rapone said. “We have one of the most technologically advanced militaries of all time and all we were doing is brutalizing and invading and terrorizing a population that had nothing to do with what the United States claimed was a threat.”

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/06/19/west-point-grad-who-posed-with-communism-will-win-in-cap-discharged.html

Since we seem to be short on Communists on the forum of late, I figure this is more random than political. I'm sure many will applaud the discharge, but I worry that it really only reinforces his beliefs and makes his story more attractive to those who share in them.  :shrugz:

Isn't it more that you're not supposed to expouse your politics like that while in uniform because you're representing the US military at that moment?

Don't know the military guidelines for doing that stuff while out of uniform and on a personal account while not giving any references to the US military. Also what GD said.

@GD: Don't you mean USMC, not USMA?

Also, IMO, wearing a che guevara shirt under the uniform without boasting about it like he did would be fine with me. Military guidelines probably say otherwise.

Isn't it more that you're not supposed to expouse your politics like that while in uniform because you're representing the US military at that moment?

Don't know the military guidelines for doing that stuff while out of uniform and on a personal account while not giving any references to the US military. Also what GD said.

@GD: Don't you mean USMC, not USMA?

Also, IMO, wearing a che guevara shirt under the uniform without boasting about it like he did would be fine with me. Military guidelines probably say otherwise.

USMA is US Military Academy. West Point. That's where he was. As for political stuff, you can pretty much do what you want on your own time to a point. But participating in political demonstrations in uniform is a no-no. They go a long way trying to keep the military apolitical. For good reasons. When I was in there was no such thing as the internet or social media so I don't really know what the rules are now.

Edited by Guard Dog

Thomas Sowell

I don't think anyone is questioning the guy getting the boot from the military. My concern us more that it suits his agenda completely. Friends close and enemies closer, and all that. Not that I think he warrants the title of enemy, but I can see how the incident will be used by those who share his beliefs.

It's like one of those types of trolls who intentionally troll with the intent to get banned because they desire the lulz or whatever and they even state that. On one hand, you don't want to give the troll what they want (the ban), on the other, they'll just keep going until the inevitable happens.

I imagine that this is a similar no-win situation. Of course the Academy doesn't want to empower the troll, but at the same time, they can't let the behavior continue.

"It's called "the service" because you are putting certain aspects of your life and even liberties on hold for a higher cause."

It's called 'nazism'.  It's called 'on hold in order to  be brainwashed and used up and crippled on behalf of others'.

Sorry, I'll pass being a soldier in any country's army. That doesn't mean I won't fight to defend my country but I'd rather do it as an 'irregular' so I don't have to become either a slave or a brainwashed minion.

'liberties on hold'. I find that hilarious since supposedly the army is supposed toe xist to DEFEND said liberties. LMAO

• Like 1

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

This sucks and we can't even blame Trump.

We can blame ourselves, more or less. I mean, the EU population as a whole, not you and me in particular. Unless you voted for some EPP associated party in Finland. In which case: You suck. ;)

Edited by majestic
  • Like 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

This sucks and we can't even blame Trump.

We can blame ourselves, more or less. I mean, the EU population as a whole, not you and me in particular. Unless you voted for some EPP associated party in Finland. In which case: You suck. ;)

Don't worry. No one can blame this on me in anyway, because I didn't vote at all. I'm absolutely innocent.

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken