The Weird, Random or Interesting Things That Fit Nowhere Else Thread

Blarghagh

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

am not sure 'bout kanada, but in the US, plot is for cemeteries and lot is land on which your house sits. lot.  for frame o' reference, Gromnir is on a .39 acre lot in a gated community, which works out to rough 16k sqft. a 6k sqft lot is nice if is more urban and less suburban, but US and kanada home and lot sizes tends to be larger compared to european counterparts. by comparison, we got 90' (diameter) circle lots in our community for smaller/smallish houses.  for a one-story home, is tough to fit a 2000 sqft home on a 90' circle. 

HA! Good Fun!

ps is not attempting to brag if it seemed such.  in more than a few places in the US, Gromnir's lot and house size would be considered smallish.  

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I cans at a lot of things about this but I['m not gonna be racist and use stereotypes like that person  except one - Asians are by far the most peaceful racial group in NA. And, it's really not even close.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Not quite funny, not quite politics...

40374102_729911770689377_467458538068561

So its weird that a majority group leads statistic whereas minorities don't? I think rational thinking and common sense might be a thing of the past.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

The post doesn't really go into statistics, rather it is clearly just an informal observation. Although if bullying is a leading factor in mass shooting, which is a narrative used often, it is fairly logical to think that there would be more kids that fit the classical bullied stereotype committing these shootings.

Where are the overweight mass shooters?

"Where are the overweight mass shooters? "

Any answer to this  would lead to accusations of fatshaming. It is a no win situation much like when a woman asks 'Do I look fat in this?". :p

"Although if bullying is a leading factor in mass shooting, which is a narrative used often, it is fairly logical to think that there would be more kids that fit the classical bullied stereotype committing these shootings"

That is just spin. Another way to spin is to look at all mass shooters and figure out how many were bullied and how many were not. Then see how many people in the total population got bullied and see if being bullied raised the chances of one becoming a mass shooter or if it decreases the chances. Afterall, smoking doesn't  directly cause cancer always but it increases the chances one will get (lung) cancer. See the key there?

• Like 1

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Sounds like the fat kids and LGBT kids need step up and pull themselves up by the ammo belt

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I was working 4 days / week a couple years ago. 9 hours every day, but friday off. At first it was pretty nice, but after maybe half a year or some more I got used to it and it felt just like the 5 days workweek before. Weekend was over in a heartbeat and mondays were still crap. :D

The only really good thing was that on a thursday evening, I was able to head to Berlin city and visit the fancy clubs with them boys. No stupid children around or anything like that. It was pretty nice. Such stuff just isn't possible if you have to work the next day.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

6 hour days would be better.

To be fair, in my case I'd prefer 8 hour workdays than the **** my employer cooks up.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

I thought this was an interesting call back to conversations we've had here earlier about the US Civil War and the controversy over the monuments and statues to confederate figures. Some of which are in odd places. But what's most interesting to me is when I read opinions that I have expressed in the past in newspaper columns. Not that I can take much credit for that. Like I told Gromnir some months back, those of us who think we know a lot about the US Civil War and US History in general are all reading the same books. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2018/08/29/missing-statues-that-expose-truth-about-confederate-monuments/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.1ee8ebb21649

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell