Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

NWN1 vs NWN2

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

Guard Dog

Guard Dog

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 546 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer

As a whole which game did you enjoy more? NWN2 had 3 campaigns that were much, much better right out of the box than NWN1. The game was certainly much better to look at. But the community content never reached near what was produced for NWN1. The tool set, especially the heightmap was VERY difficult to use to create large areas I found.

I think NWN1 was strong not because the game itself was good, it wasn't. The OC was awful, SoU & HotU were a little better. It was good because is was so easy to mod. It was the modders working long hours for free to make content that made NWN1 great. I think the dame still has legs even today. New NWN1 content is still tuning up regularly.

For me based on the "whole experience" NWN1 was better. And that is owed more to people who never mad a dime on it than those that did.

Leferd

Leferd

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2840 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
The trees were real pretty in NWN2. Not so much in the first one.

KaineParker

KaineParker

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2693 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Mamoulian War

Mamoulian War

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2873 posts
  • PSN Portable ID:mamoulianfh
  • Kickstarter Backer

NWN2 without question. I was never much into the custom community content, so I had much more fun with NWN2.

Tale

Tale

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 10464 posts
  • PSN Portable ID:Taleroth
  • Kickstarter Backer
I hated 1 for the longest time. Coming to it after playing Baldur's Gate and getting that was a tremendous disappointment. I can still only think of 1 as a Diablo-like with auto-attack replacing all the clicking.

I think I only ever beat 1 several years later after both expansions were out and I finally gave it another shot. Played right through. Got bored playing every other attempt before and since.

Neverwinter Nights 2 was a genuine joy for me. It brought back playing with a party! Right up until Dragon Age: Origins, Neverwinter Nights 2 was a mainstay on my hard drive. And the only real flaw I find with it to this day is that it was kind of generic in the main campaign. But still a few delightful characters. With an expansion I don't honestly have anything negative to say about, only positive.
  • Rosbjerg, Mamoulian War and sorophx like this

quidproquo

quidproquo

(2) Evoker

• Validating
  • 72 posts
Neverwinter Nights 1 made me suspicious of Bioware ever since. NWN2 was better, but still not all that great for me, tho the storytelling in Mask of the Betrayer was da bomb! I'm happier to have games that play great straight outa the box than games that the amateur modding community has to try to fix. and fail.

Guard Dog

Guard Dog

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 546 posts

like MW just said, if you played the custom content and user made mods NWN1 could keep you busy playing new stuff even today. It's literally the gift that keeps giving. If all you wanted was the stock game, it was a stinker. NWN2 was far better on that count. But once you played it, you played it. That's it. That was why I like NWN1 better. 

ManifestedISO

ManifestedISO

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1693 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I made time for Neverwinter Nights during the day and had a lot of fun, but it was NWN2 that I played all night long.

• Mamoulian War and rjshae like this

Volourn

Volourn

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 16947 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Campaigns wise they are equal.

NWN1 OC = 7.5

SOU = 6

HOTU = 8

NWN2 OC = 7

MTOB = 8.5

SOZ = 5

Overall though ? As far as playability/replayability? NWN easily.

NWN = DA BEST GAME EVAR.

Edited by Volourn, 30 August 2016 - 07:40 PM.

Gorth

Gorth

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 10429 posts
Never really got into the user made content, so NWN1 died for me before reaching the 4th gadget you had to find (iirc, it had the same quest "structure" as Kotor, go to the 4 corners of the known world and collect something to save the known world from some unimaginable evil). It could also have been Aribeths (sp?) voice that put me off the game, so dropped the game at the start of the 4th chapter/phase/whatever.

Did complete NWN2 2 or 3 times, but after that it was also the end for me. Probably my least favourite Obsidian game to date (disclaimer: never completed Alpha Protocol, 2 or 3 mini games later and I uninstalled that game again). Did enjoy both NWN2 expansions though. Nevver got the NWN1 ones, although I think I might get some of those bundles on GOG.

Nonek

Nonek

Not of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3034 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

I'm afraid to say that when NWN came out I just could not get over the absolutely hideous graphics, coming from the painted artwork of the IE games (which probably reached its zenith in IWD,) to the blocky and hideously designed artwork of NWN, well that was a regression that just didn't appeal to me. The modding scene was yet young when I abandoned the game, I think the mod everyone was talking about at the time was called Elegy or somesuch, and so I never saw much of that side of the game.

NWN 2 however had a far superior campaign with a brilliantly implemented personal motivation for the protagonist, rather than the boring Chosen One trope that passed for motivation in the first OC, and a number of high points where Obsidian showed some real promise. Unfortunately the dull grind of everything between those high points was uninspired and repetitive, and far too Bioware-ish. I don't regret playing the second games OC like I did the first, and I appreciate what a visual treat it was, but I have as yet had no urge to play it again. Though I do ocassionally listen to the soundtrack of both games.

I liked SoU, despised HotU, adored MotB and admired the innovation of SoZ.

ShadySands

ShadySands

The Guy on the Couch of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 2267 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Probably 1 but possibly 2

I'm complicated

Anyways, here is how I'd rank them

MotB/HotU tie

SoZ

SoU/NWN2 OC tie

NWN1 OC

I really liked the NWN1 premium modules too

Edited by ShadySands, 31 August 2016 - 09:49 AM.

rjshae

rjshae

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4320 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I disliked NWN at first because of the lack of party control, but kept playing it up until HotU, at which point I lost interest. NWN2 was a big improvement. The original campaign (OC) had some bright moments, and some tiresome content. I learned to enjoyed NWN2 because of the module building capability, and later the small but dedicated modding community. It remains probably the best D&D-based module building system around, although there are some NWN module builders who find that debatable.

Tale

Tale

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 10464 posts
  • PSN Portable ID:Taleroth
  • Kickstarter Backer
I'd be very interested in hearing about what was so different. I did minimal work in both, but I'd say I did a lot more module building in NWN2. Regrettably not enough to finish anything.

Scuplting exteriors was a very powerful tool, but time consuming at the same time.

Amentep

Amentep

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4515 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I probably would rate #2 better, albeit I never actually finished either Mask of the Betrayer OR Storms of Zehir yet.

eolsunder

eolsunder

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 7 posts

I like NWN2 more just due to the party system, even though the companions are pretty bad AI and you can't really develop the OC ones how you really want due to them having prebased stats/feats, etc. I wanted my good old friend Khelgar to be a warhammer weapon master but due to his average 10 intelligence, he was lacking the ability to do that. For some reason I didn't even think to check his stats to see if he could actually do it, i just started picking feats to get him there and stop-gapped at feats i couldn't get due to not having 13 intelligence. 

Of course i can use console to do all that stuff, but i usually only do that in an emergency, not just to adjust characters.

Guard Dog

Guard Dog

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 546 posts

I'd be very interested in hearing about what was so different. I did minimal work in both, but I'd say I did a lot more module building in NWN2. Regrettably not enough to finish anything.

Scuplting exteriors was a very powerful tool, but time consuming at the same time.

Well the NWN toolset did allow you to make some very high quality and detailed areas pretty quickly once you mastered it. The heightmap system was much more powerful and produced much prettier results but t was VERY time consuming. Plu I had a lot of trouble getting scripted triggers to work right in NWN2 that I never had trouble with in 1. I didn't much like the dialogue display and camera zoom in 2 when there was no voice over.  Which few mods did. There were very few "epic" mods made for two. There were a dozen or so for one whose quality exceeded the OC by great lengths.

• ShadySands and Tale like this

Labadal

Labadal

Janitor of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3625 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
I like 1 in multiplayer but found the singleplayer portion to be some of the most boring thing I have played.

It's the opposite in 2. I tried multiplayer for an hour or two. It was all about the singleplayer content.

Harry Easter

Harry Easter

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 161 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

I liked both games, but I NWN2 is the better game, just because of it's stories and companions. Of course we know all the clich├ęs, but the plot was actually very complex and got actually thicker than weaker with each chapter. And NWN 2 had the stronghold. The glorious, wonderful stronghold, I never wanted to leave.

And I still can remember funny dialogues or scenes with mycompanions, instead of NWN 1 where I remember some aspects, but not most of it.

Ceremorph

Ceremorph

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 3 posts

I just find some of the comments interesting. As we near the 10-year anniversary of the US release (this month!), I can look back on this as possibly the best valued entertainment purchase I've ever made thanks to the PW community and the thousands of hours I've enjoyed (and I'll admit, spent frustrated) as a player, DM, builder, scripter, and content creator. But I'll also admit it's a matter of timing; my life when NWN1 came out didn't really allow for the sort of timesink that NWN2 did, and I didn't discover the PW community until 1 already seemed quite dated (both graphically and D&D rules version-wise), whereas with NWN2 I was in on the ground floor, experiencing the initial growth of its community and getting to be a part of it through a number of servers.

Some might look at it as a bit of a ghost town, but there's still a few excellent servers catering to different tastes. Speaking for the folks at the Sigil: City of Doors RP server (http://forum.nwn2planescape.com/), I'd gladly welcome back anybody who remembers those early heady days, and invite anyone who's new to the game to stop in and see what's happening. Other still-strong communities include the Kingdom of Haven social server, the Baldur's Gate: The Sword Coast RP server and the Realms of Trinity RP server. Some smaller servers still run and welcome new players as well.

And just a note to anyone considering coming back for the first time, you'll want to visit the Neverwinter Vault and download Skywing's Client Expansion to access the server list. There's other technical ways to do it, but that's the quickest way, and if you don't like using its other features you can always close them.

• Nonek, rjshae and deanwilkinson20 like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users