What you did today

Gorth

Those of us that fall through the cracks do exist, and jesus christ are bureaucracies unkind to us. I could make a list of ways bureaucracies can screw me over, but I don't wanna bore you all. :p

Oh I know people can and do fall through the cracks. I also know of some people who will lie to people in order to get them out of their customer window or off the phone...

I like the think, though, that there are systems to try and keep people from falling through the cracks as much as possible.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Those of us that fall through the cracks do exist, and jesus christ are bureaucracies unkind to us. I could make a list of ways bureaucracies can screw me over, but I don't wanna bore you all. :p

Oh I know people can and do fall through the cracks. I also know of some people who will lie to people in order to get them out of their customer window or off the phone...

I like the think, though, that there are systems to try and keep people from falling through the cracks as much as possible.

Yeah. I mean, I'm a cynical little bastard, but I think you're not doing yourself any favors to expect the worst of people. That's why I didn't like blaming it all on stupid underqualified bureaucrats.

It's not that your government is absolute **** and doesn't give a damn about you, it's just that sadly it can be very difficult - if not impossible - to cater to every possible case. The government is trying to do good and provide public services and has to govern each individual to some extent. It has to balance efficiency with quality to actually get stuff done, and when a law doesn't exist addressing your specific case...? Well, it sucks.

By no means though is that a reason to march out on the street and go try and topple democracy as we know it. The government is trying, the lawmakers are trying, the bureaucrats are just doing their jobs. It's just a reality that there's always progress to be made.

Best "solution" I can think of is that perhaps it should be made protocol that bureaucrats write up any scenarios they consider to not truly be "solved" and send those lists to governers and lawmakers periodically. That might at least highlight some common cases that have yet to be addressed and could use better guidelines. I mean like in my case, I probably fall through the cracks fairly often because there AREN'T German-American dual citizens representing me in government. In actuality though, German-American is a highly common dual citizen type and I wouldn't be surprised if a decent amount of us with complaints existed.

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

Read a post by BruceVC, while I had a craving for sweets, so I made myself some Swedish un-PC "negerbollar". They are tasty.

Interesting ''Neger'' in German is the racist term for black skinned people. I guess its something made of dark chocolate? 

What I did today: not much, mostly bearding. Beard makes me look like a 40 year old though, especially the mustache.   ;(

I'm also trying to find a good Halloween costume but no ideas.  Maybe I'll go the cheap route and buy an evil jester costume. 

01627-Plus-Size-Black-and-White-Evil-Jes

Edited by Woldan

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

Is it true German drivers must pay something like $2000 for a road license ... I sort of wish that were true here, if so. A steep monetary value for a privilege seems like the right filter for the consistently insane, self-unaware ten-percenters out there, trying to kill the rest of us with their motorized assault weapons. A road less-traveled by riff-raff, I can only imagine. Not that I could afford that much for a license ... hopefully motorcycle licensing would be cheaper, at least. Did you know BMW made motorcycles before cars. 

All Stop. On Screen.

Interesting ''Neger'' in German is the racist term for black skinned people. I guess its something made of dark chocolate? 

It's very much the same here, but people don't really care that much what you call them. :p

chokladboll.jpg

NOMNOM!

Oh; And the image does'nt necessarilly represent what I made looked like >_>'

Edited by Azdeus

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Tomorrow, the fifth week of being sick starts. I was again feeling better, and today my throat is again in active pain. I'm starting to get pretty fed up of this and the docs are all

3904472-7255315677-dunno.gif

• Like 2

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Tomorrow, the fifth week of being sick starts. I was again feeling better, and today my throat is again in active pain. I'm starting to get pretty fed up of this and the docs are all

OK, quick check:

1) Have you control tested for food allergies?

2) Have you now, or very recently, a bear gnawing on your foot?

3) Have you simply stopped giving a toss?

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

OK, quick check:

1) Have you control tested for food allergies?

2) Have you now, or very recently, a bear gnawing on your foot?

3) Have you simply stopped giving a toss?

1) A while back, was negative. More likely my POS apartment is covered in mold. I doubt my office has been thoroughly cleaned in this century, either.

2) Not that I've noticed.

3) Most definitely.

Right. firstly we're going to need guns. Secondly you're going to need legal support. The kind that would make Genghis Khan turn down his stereo.

To both ends I recommend you immediately giving me power of attorney.

• Like 3

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Read a post by BruceVC, while I had a craving for sweets, so I made myself some Swedish un-PC "negerbollar". They are tasty.

What I did today: not much, mostly bearding. Beard makes me look like a 40 year old though, especially the mustache.   ;(

I'm also trying to find a good Halloween costume but no ideas.  Maybe I'll go the cheap route and buy an evil jester costume. 

01627-Plus-Size-Black-and-White-Evil-Jes

Woldan, if I saw that walking on the sidewalk anytime other than around Halloween, I'm running it over! That costume is..... yeah it is....

• Like 2

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

One of my friends had brain surgery yesterday, so there's been the keeping track of her sister to get news and updates on how that's been going. No obvious complications, but they're keeping her in the ICU for the moment and making sure no infections set in. So we'll have to see how that goes.

It'll be kind of interesting, because it's about a 6-8 week recovery time, and they're the ones who invited me over to the US for my trip in.. 8 weeks.

On the other side of it, the weather has turned weirdly muggy here, which is annoyingly sapping.

Also, the dog has figured out that if she does the "poke-poke-jiggy-*dance-of-about-to-pee-the-carpet" people will pay attention to her more and get up from whatever they're doing to let her out, only to find she doesn't want to go out. Now it's that battle of starting to ignore her, and finding the one time she actually was about to pee the carpet..

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Had an amazingly good time at the shooting range. Hit like a champion with my rifles, helped novice shooters sighting in their scopes/rifles, after the shooting we had a great time drinking beer and talking about guns, politics, wars etc. Also met some interesting new people there. From all the people I know people that own guns and shoot are by far the most intelligent and friendliest ones.  Just had a great, relaxing day.

One of my friends had brain surgery yesterday, so there's been the keeping track of her sister to get news and updates on how that's been going.

Interesting! What kind of surgery was it?

Edited by Woldan

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

Had an amazingly good time at the shooting range. Hit like a champion with my rifles, helped novice shooters sighting in their scopes/rifles, after the shooting we had a great time drinking beer and talking about guns, politics, wars etc. Also met some interesting new people there. Just had a great, relaxing day.

One of my friends had brain surgery yesterday, so there's been the keeping track of her sister to get news and updates on how that's been going.

Interesting! What kind of surgery was it?

Well, due to a previous surgery, she has a chiari malformation - which means her brain suffers downward displacement and pushes it against the spinal cord. Which has resulted in a case of syringomyelia, where a cyst forms within the spinal cord which duly cuts off sensation in the extremities, loss of motor control while increasing levels of pain.

So they're having to basically cut a piece of her skull out, sever that nice braid of muscle that protects the spine, get in, figure out a way to keep the brain elevated, drain/remove the cyst, re-sew the muscle back together and mutter their black magic arts over it all while hoping that  no infection sets in.

None of which actually guarantees regaining any lost sensory/movement abilities. There's a fun range of what percentages can be recovered. The main key is preventing it from getting worse. 

Of course, her neurologist was pissed that the ER doctors she's been going in to see over the last year for chronic migraines and pain had not picked up on it and just kept giving her pain management drugs. If it had been noticed at any point, it wouldn't have waited until she was having trouble holding things before they figured it out.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

We won't get it for another few weeks though as it's still in transit

So it turns out it wasn't equipped as we thought it was and now they have to order it from the factory since everything else matching what we want is already sold. Now we are looking at a few months instead of a few weeks.

Other than that school is kicking my ass and work doesn't want to slow down and help me out. I was supposed to go to a wedding in Maine later this month but I can't afford the time away from school. I swear if they didn't pay me I wouldn't go.

Free games updated 3/4/21

I tried that, too, even succeeded incrementally over time (straight motherloving A's), got within two semesters before growing horrified by the cost, and future costs. Now I still have no diploma but all the repayments. I would not recommend the path I chose. So, but anyway, I'm sure you'll nail it down sooner than later. 

All Stop. On Screen.

Last night I worked at a customer and thought I would be out of there at 6 pm. I ended up leaving at 2 am this morning. Add to that the fact I went out partying on Thursday and only had 2 hours sleep so I am understandably  tired today, but its a an international rugby game for South Africa today so we have lunch and a drinks planned at a friends restaurant and bar :)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I started back in summer and I'm not doing anything special, just trying to finally finish my degree. 

Good luck. I thought I was smart when I did the research stuff pretty much in a straight line after my initial degree. Now I wake up at night screaming from the thought that I might wind up working somewhere where they want me to go back again for an mba or something. The bar exam's already kicking my ass, I'm almost literally unable to open a book at the moment when the word "study" is involved. :D

• Like 1

Last night I worked at a customer and thought I would be out of there at 6 pm. I ended up leaving at 2 am this morning. Add to that the fact I went out partying on Thursday and only had 2 hours sleep so I am understandably  tired today, but its a an international rugby game for South Africa today so we have lunch and a drinks planned at a friends restaurant and bar :)

I knew it deep down in my heart that you were a gigolo.

• Like 4

I knew it deep down in my heart that you were a gigolo.

:lol:

Nothing as glamorous as that. I am a software consultant and last night there were, and are, network issues and that impacted my work

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I just got back from a bike ride.  It is ruthlessly hot today and fairly humid too.  Before I hopped in the shower I was sweating like crazy.  Tomorrow should be considerably (15 degrees) cooler and slightly less humid, so that should make for a far more pleasant ride.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Skylar, our deviant 7-year old, was upset at her brother for him beating her in Mario Kart. So she whipped up a batch of yellow food coloring and spread it around his bed and floor. We even had him apologize before we found the food color evidence in the kitchen.   :no:

Woke up to my sim card not seating properly in the phone, ended up buying a new phone (samsung galaxy 4) and am now watching Iowa State take on Kansas State.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.