What you did today

Gorth

My moms birthday is in a few days so I bought ridiculously expensive good smelling water in a flask ( 60 bucks!) and some colorful plants with cut off roots. I hope she likes it, I find it incredibly hard to buy presents I don't understand. :mellow:

Ah, women. 

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

Got the same problem- my mothers birthday is in a three weeks and I have no idea about presents.

And that always makes me feel like an ass, because I have a million ideas for gifts for my friends birthdays....   :wacko: Good luck with finding a good present for your mother. 

What I did today: extremely boring, overcast Friday afternoon, so I grabbed some LEGO and built a small F1 car out of 300 pieces or so. Used some fairly uncommon building techniques on that thing. 

legof1woldan_zps29a46142.jpg

legof1woldan2_zps29661d90.jpg

And now I'm going to do something useful  - mountain cycling. 

• Like 3

Back from a road trip to North Carolina. The project we started as an independent small company three years ago, then sold along with the business, is finally and completely finished. Since I'm fresh out of work now I figured I'd spend this weekend working on my side business and watching baseball/football/playing Skyrim.

On a side note I've been following a thread on the TW forums about what the next Total War title should be. Surprisingly everyone seems to want a redo of a previous title. I'd love to see them to something different next time. 

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Thunderstorm interrupted my bicycle ride, right on my fastest section rain poured down so hard that my glasses fogged up, I couldn't see anything, it was so wet that the brakes were useless but my racing slicks didn't have any traction anyway, partly due to the aquaplaning. It felt like ice skating with dull blades. Very little control at speeds up to 90kmh. 

To sum it up in one word: awesome! 

Thunderstorm interrupted my bicycle ride, right on my fastest section rain poured down so hard that my glasses fogged up, I couldn't see anything, it was so wet that the brakes were useless but my racing slicks didn't have any traction anyway, partly due to the aquaplaning. It felt like ice skating with dull blades. Very little control at speeds up to 90kmh. 

For me that sounds like an absolutely horrendous experience, I can't believe you enjoyed it :x

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I just got a huge tax rebate, which I am choosing to assume was ordered directly by Prince Philip after reading me mithering oby.

• Like 4

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I just got a huge tax rebate, which I am choosing to assume was ordered directly by Prince Philip after reading me mithering oby.

Walsingham: Protector of the Realm has a certain ring to it.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Looked at some more cars today but am no closer to making a decision. I'm really digging the concept (and tax break) of electric cars but there are some problems with that. Since I live in a condo getting a charging station set up next to my spots in the garage may be problematic and even more troublesome is that the only electric cars I  wouldn't mind driving cost way more than I would feel comfortable paying.

At this point I'm ready to just lease something dirt cheap and be done with it

Free games updated 3/4/21

You eying a Tesla?

Yeah, I've wanted one for a long while but I can't justify the price for a second car

I hope not, the Tesla outnumbers the Leaf maybe 4-1, here, even though it's at least double the price, maybe more. Not really a fan of either. 

They are fairly common around here too but not sure if they outnumber the Leaf or Volt. I even saw some ugly little BMW electric car, the i3 I think it's called (though I would take an i8). The lowest end Telsa is probably the price of 3 Leafs or 2 Volts :(

My Ford Fusion hybrid is pretty fantastic, and I bought it used for like $14k.  Doesn't get you the tax benefits, but 40 mpg is a pretty nice break when it comes to buying gas.

We have a hybrid now and I think I might just go that route again for the second car, I just really wanted a new shiny toy

Unrelated to electric cars but I have to say it really tripped me out that both Kia and Hyundai have $60k cars now

For me that sounds like an absolutely horrendous experience, I can't believe you enjoyed it :x

Its the adrenaline, only things like that make me feel alive.

That and steam irons applied to his nipples.

• Like 5

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Are there stop signs in Austria ... there are many of them here, and not a single bicyclist stops at stop signs. Even the dressed-up nitwits in biker shorts, the shoes, and jersey, completely ignore basic road rules. They want equal treatment and share of the road without earning the privilege. I was just wondering if it's a worldwide phenomenon.  

• Like 4

All Stop. On Screen.

Ugh. Don't get me started on the "bike people" around here. Denver put special running/walking/cycling trails and bicycle lanes around the city and most of them would still rather ride in the middle of the road.

Edited by ShadySands
  • Like 1

Are there stop signs in Austria ... there are many of them here, and not a single bicyclist stops at stop signs. Even the dressed-up nitwits in biker shorts, the shoes, and jersey, completely ignore basic road rules. They want equal treatment and share of the road without earning the privilege. I was just wondering if it's a worldwide phenomenon.  

Bike people in South Africa are very militant and aggressive on the roads, but I suppose its because there have been several bike fatalities caused by cars crashing into people on bikes?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

The biggest problem, imo, is that most cyclists around here don't have a driving license. They don't know the traffic rules and they have no idea how a car driver feels like when seeing other cyclists. They do whatever they want and think that car drivers need to take care- which obviously is a really stupid thing to do.

And man, I could facepalm everytime I see a cyclist getting really close to a huge truck at the traffic light. It's like they totally don't care that the truck driver simply can't see them in that position.

Long story short... If you want to use your bike in public traffic, then god damnit, learn the traffic rules and apply them with a little bit of common sense. Yes, car drivers are stupid too every once in a while, but my personal observation is that cyclists are exactly the same.

• Like 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Of course there are stop signs in Austria. When I'm on the bike I want to be as predictable to the car drivers as possible so they don't run me over, so I obey all the traffic laws and act exactly like a motorcycle. 

But I don't drive through busy towns or cities very often, I mainly drive on country roads and speedways, my typical cycling tour road looks like this:

countryroad_zps853702ec.jpg

Ugh. Don't get me started on the "bike people" around here. Denver put special running/walking/cycling trails and bicycle lanes around the city and most of them would still rather ride in the middle of the road.

I never use cycling lanes because they're a.) often filled with cyclists that are way too slow for me and (only used by older people, those who do not bike competitively and other sub humans)   b.) they're always bumpy and dirty as hell. Cycling lanes are way more dangerous than simply taking the road.

Edited by Woldan