What you did today

Gorth

Running away is the best solution while working at a school. Going to work with a weapon, would not only lose me my job, I'd probably be missing the release of Pillars of Eternity while sitting in jail.

Running is always the best solution, but its not always possible.

Knowing you're from Sweden I was more thinking along the lines of a small folder knife, that doubles as tool to open boxes etc. Remember, nobody wants a knife fight, not even your attackers. Having a knife is a great a**hole repellent, you don't even have to use it to be effective.

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

Running away is the best solution while working at a school. Going to work with a weapon, would not only lose me my job, I'd probably be missing the release of Pillars of Eternity while sitting in jail.

Running is always the best solution, but its not always possible.

Knowing you're from Sweden I was more thinking along the lines of a small folder knife, that doubles as tool to open boxes etc. Remember, nobody wants a knife fight, not even your attackers. Having a knife is a great a**hole repellent, you don't even have to use it to be effective.

Having known two professional fighters who've been ****ed up by drunk guys after sharp edges got involved I'd suggest you're talking balls.

...With all due respect to the fact that you're basically a meat avalanche.

EDIT:

...with a gun.

Edited by Walsingham
  • Like 4

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

First day of feeling almost human after a 2-week sinus infection (x2) with everything. Nice how work piles up while you're gone.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Having known two professional fighters who've been ****ed up by drunk guys after sharp edges got involved I'd suggest you're talking balls.

I know some cases where low life scum was scared away when the potential victim showed that it was armed. -Not worth the trouble.- Just like the warning shot police uses.  Of course, people under the influence of drugs are completely irrational and unpredictable. In any case, if escape is not an option I'd rather defend myself with something sharp and pointy instead of my bare fists. I'm a logical person and carrying some kind of weapon that evens the odds or even gives me a slight advantage over the attacker makes a lot of sense to me. 

Anyway, today I bought 10 1 1/8 ounce shotgun slugs. These are the ones I use for home defense.

Interestingly, they're designed like tank shells, drag induced spin in the smooth bore leads to a dramatically increase in accuracy over conventional slugs that just get flung out of the barrel. You can have a shotgun with pin-point rifle-like accuracy. 

slugswold_zpsa033beb8.jpg

Edited by Woldan

Today was the first day back. Finished with all of my work 40 minutes early. I had absolutely nothing left to do. No planning for tomorrow or anything else to be taken care of. I was sent home 40 minutes early (with pay).

laughing-like-a-king-homer-simpson.gif

• Like 2

I hope it was obvious, but I've got no problem with you Waldo. I just think you need to be careful what advice you give. Carrying a knife can mean you end up in a lot of trouble.

I make no bones about it, but the only times I've ever NOT run like stink from a fight was when a friend of someone vulnerable was at risk. In none of those situations would a knife have helped.

Conversely I've had people threaten me with a knife twice, and been stabbed once. Long story. On neither occasion did the gentlemen concerned need to go waving knives around, and in neither case did it help them look anything other than fearful c***s.

• Like 4

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I hope it was obvious, but I've got no problem with you Waldo.

Ja, I know.

Advice can only be dangerous if you follow it blindly, in the end you are responsible for your own actions and you have to make sure for yourself you are not violating any laws when following it. When I give advice I want it to be more of a thought-provoking impulse than an instruction manual and I only give it those that seem to be intelligent enough to think for themselves.

I don't give idiots or people that might pose a danger to themselves or others such advice.

In none of those situations would a knife have helped.

If the knife only helps you to safe your or someone elses behind in one out of ten cases its already and totally worth it. Because that one from ten case can happen tomorrow. I never said the knife is the solution for any scenario you might encounter, but it definitely has its place, and many if not most renown self defense teachers agree with me.

and been stabbed once.

You're from England, having been stabbed on the streets is one of the requirements of being a true Englishman.

Yeah I know, not funny, glad you survived it.

Edited by Woldan
  • Like 1

Laughing at United.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Dad (who's close to 80) fell asleep at the wheel today on a highway. He's ok, but he's decided he's going to to stop driving this year. Meaning that there's an even bigger pressure on me ( an only child) to find employment in Helsinki, since I'm going to have to be around to help my parents...

Stress, I has it...

• Like 1

Dad (who's close to 80) fell asleep at the wheel today on a highway. He's ok, but he's decided he's going to to stop driving this year. Meaning that there's an even bigger pressure on me ( an only child) to find employment in Helsinki, since I'm going to have to be around to help my parents...

Stress, I has it...

That's a rough one, but I'm glad your dad is okay

• Like 2

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

My father's only 50 something, so I got 20 years before I have to deal with that stubborn bastard.

• Like 2

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Took a long bike ride around Copenhagen today, the weather changed and got nice again and I felt this was one the last chances to really just ride for as long as I wanted..

Ended up all the way out in the outer rings of the city - also close to a friend, so I decided to dropped by for a cup of coffe.. Incidentally he needed to talk, funny how life sends you in the right directions once in a while.

Fortune favors the bald.

New photo of my hand:

http://i.cubeupload.com/1U9vTj.png

Looks p.cool, imo.

I still think you get your hand amputated and replaced with a hook, now that would be really cool :yes:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I am the Low-Budget Wolverine, I couldn't afford more.

Also, afraid of copper thieves. Dem guys hangin' out evrywhere man.

Edited by Lexx
  • Like 3

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

My father's only 50 something, so I got 20 years before I have to deal with that stubborn bastard.

Happily, my dad has older brothers and he's had to deal with their stubborness re: driving, so that's why he's giving it up at the first signs.Hope he sticks to it...

• Like 1

I'm not looking forward to when my father is in that position, he's 61 and really, really, really likes cars, tuning and heavy acceleration. It's not a good combination.

• Like 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

My girlfriend had a minor fender bender yesterday, or so I thought. How the hell does a couple of scratches and a couple of broken plastic bits on a plastic bumper end up being an estimated €1000? At least we didn't cause it so their insurance should pay for it. Hope they do, otherwise there goes my "new computer" fund.

I get how mechanics make their calculations, but it's just not feasible. My girlfriend has a cheapo Ford Ka, like this one:

ka_profile.jpg

It could be maybe feasible if it was another type of fender, but this is a three piece, black plastic fender and bumper that you essentially pop together like lego and fasten with pegs like this: muRF7wrFTIMvdMzdcZzNuMg.jpg

Each piece goes for about €18, and only two pieces need replacing, plus about €10 euros for enough pegs. My dad's a truck mechanic, so not exactly the same thing, but he told me installing one couldn't take more than half an hour. We didn't get it fixed yet and I'm glad because I'm pretty sure that mechanic that did the estimate was trying to scam the insurance people.

• Like 1