What did you do today?

Blarghagh

Lions being social felines is the exception to the rule, right? Are there any others?

Can't think of any offhand. Tigers are pretty solitary. Same with panthers & cougars in North America and Jaguars in South/Central America. House cats seem to be pretty social with each other but I'm not sure if that's their way or just the accident of cohabitation. Katphood, Tale or LC could probably say better. They have a lot more cat experience than most of us.  

cheetahs are social, but not like lions.  females cheetahs tend to be solitary, but males live in groups.  am recalling cheetahs and lions as being the only cats described as "gregarious."

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Jackals are like the Coyote's annoying kid brother. 

Speaking of which I'm finding coyote tracks around the chicken pen lately. I'm not terribly worried. I built it with coyotes in mind. My attitude towards them has been live and let live. But there have been times when they have become something of a nuisance and compelled me to thin the pack a little bit. 

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Perhaps a bit late and my mental acumen is somewhat diminished, but I can attest to the roving bands of coyotes around these parts. Sometimes, when I'm out walking at night, I hear them yipping loudly in their packs. I live in what might be considered a suburban area, but in southern California with the cities growing together, I think that's pretty narrow of a description. After all, the larger urban areas look by and large the same and I've spent substantial time in both. Nope, if you have mountains around your city in SoCal, you have coyotes around and maybe bob cats or cougars. Anyway, I see coyotes sometimes out on the street in the predawn or twilight hours.

I've had cats my entire life. I love them. However, house cats socialize, in my decades of having multiple cats at any given time, best when they're exposed to each other as kittens. If you have an adult cat and bring younger ones home, the older ones tend to dislike and drive away the younger ones and so they live together, but don't socialize. Kittens brought up together tend to socialize very well, nap together and play without drawing blood. My one major caveat is that I only have female cats. I did save a male once that my wife insisted on keeping, but he was an outdoor cat the whole time.

χαίρετε

Weve got coyote's up to our necks around these parts. Its such a problem that one of my coworkers cant even let his dogs out in his own (fenced) back yard without keeping an eye on them. And if he takes them for a walk he carries bear repellant in case of coyote attack. :lol: Theres also a badass hawk that must live near my house that I seen frequently. Its brutally efficient too as Ive watched it effortlessly swoop and grab a baby rabbit and even other birds.

we don't have big wild animals around here, though i have seen some wolf pawprints in an unpopulated area. we have a few hawks but i never heard of them attacking any animals in town... and the targets are plentiful with all the free range chicken.

Edited by teknoman2

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

this one is not behaving like that for protecting the family, he's just scared to come near me. if i put down the cat food and stay there, mama cat comes to eat along with the kitten. mama cat accepts petting while eating, the kitten backs off and papa cat just watches from a safe distance. if i put down the food and walk away, he comes and eats along with his family and if i approach he just runs off again.

If the mama cat lets you go near her kitten then there already a huge amount of trust and friendship between you and the mama cat which is not all that easy to build. I've had cats for 6 years now and even I can't tame a feral cat. As for the male cat, I myself came to the conclusion that each cat can have his or her own personality based on what they have experienced during their lifetime, so maybe he is just scared of humans or has a bad experience with them. Nice that you feed the cats btw. :)

What general region of the world does one encounter wild jackals?

The one I found was in the northern parts of Tehran, where the mountains meet the land. The ecosystem there is absolutely beautiful. Birds, cats, dogs, jackals and a whole array of birds that sing different tunes. Unfortunately, the government doesn't do **** to protect any of it.

Edited by Katphood
  • Like 1

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

I keep getting water in my ear during my morning swim sessions. I hate wearing earplugs, so I need to find another solution other than just manically shaking my head up and down trying to get it to move.

Pour some alcohol in you ear. Once it dries it takes the water with it.

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I'd say just wear the earplugs

A buddy of mine from the military participates in similar events all the time and he didn't like wearing them either but never found anything that worked better. In the end he hated water in his ears more than earplugs

Free games updated 3/4/21

I keep getting water in my ear during my morning swim sessions. I hate wearing earplugs, so I need to find another solution other than just manically shaking my head up and down trying to get it to move.

I think they have ear drops that do something similar too, I'll have to look into it.

Bought the Royal version in the Japan psn sale on Friday, now im working up the courage to start playing it :)

Just keep expectations in the more ARPG category vs. a choice-filled RPG, with simple quests and fast paced button-mashing combat (vs. strategic) and you'll likely be fine. ;)  ...although imo the story in the latter half does have some very strong aspects. It just has some glaring narrative pacing issues. It really is all about the bro's and their camaraderie (plus villain). Don't expect much from any other chr.

If you haven't already, I'd recommend watching the free official anime Brotherhood (YouTube), it helps the sense of connection with the bro's with some background characterization of how they became friends/worked together in the past (it's not spoilery) and is easy to watch. The Kingsglaive movie is a loud and noisy mess that doesn't add much to the game itself - one could watch it after if one wants more lore knowledge tho.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Did you just find a use for Tin Cup American Whiskey? :p

• Like 3

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Thinking of getting back into martial arts. I did it quite a bit in the military and for a little while after. I only stopped because I couldn't fit it into my schedule anymore. All the places near me seem more traditional and focused but all my experience is in mixed martial arts so it's a little intimidating starting anew. Just need to pick one and try it I guess.

• Like 2

Free games updated 3/4/21

Woke up early this morning, started to putter around, my brain/muscles just went "nope" and before long I flopped back into bed and  slept hard for 2 more hours, then my eyes popped open. I felt slightly better tho, did some housework, file organizing, daily stuff, nothing strenuous. Now I'm ready to flop again and it's not even 10pm. And I'll probably wake up in 3 hours. :disguise:

I may have to try the exercise until you drop routine and see if that breaks this cycle. I don't know why I get these wakeup-insomnia bouts these days. Used to never happen. A few days of it is ok, a couple weeks tears me down.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Thought that if I ever have a band I want to name it SWTOR Body Type 4

It was a slow day

My fantasy band name is Engywook, because I want to one up that ridiculous "Atreyu" metal band by picking a more minor character from The Neverending Story.

I've been playing American Truck Simulator all week. I'm still in the tutorial where I'm doing a bunch of class room stuff, but yesterday I did get my permit so now I'm also getting in the actual trucks and practicing backing up in the yard. I can't wait until I get my CDL and the real game begins.

• Like 2

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Did you purchase the DLC "Peeing into an empty pop bottle while driving"? :p

That's part of the season pass. Also part of the season pass is the day 1 pee into a cup at the clinic DLC.
  • Like 2

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Decided to do a backup of my cellphone pics and well, these are my childeren:

Xiu Xiu - 6 years old - female
oagaeVM.jpg?1

Ignus - 1 year old - Male
I6AphoH.jpg?1

:grin:

• Like 3

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

That's part of the season pass. Also part of the season pass is the day 1 pee into a cup at the clinic DLC.

Are you sure you're not playing American Peeing Simulator rather than American Trucking SImulator?

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Are you sure you're not playing American Peeing Simulator rather than American Trucking SImulator?

possibly an homage to semi-tough?  can't help but recall the cowboy's friend scene.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)