What did you do today?

Blarghagh

I imagine the Europeans view Puritanical America in much the same light. :p

No, we just expect to be shot by an enthusiastic policeman if we reach for our wallet :p

• Like 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

What were they?

Hmm, good question. I guess I just assume that living in a heavily religious society (like where its part of your daily government) means you are never more than one slight transgression away from being savagely caned in the town square. :lol:

Hehehe, it's nothing like that.  :lol:

It used to be more strict back in the 90's and early 2000's but nowadays no one will bother you, even if you go in the town square and start selling wieners while screaming: 'Jesus saves!'. 

• Like 3

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

Juggling procrastination.

On the one hand.. I have an exam tomorrow, and presentation on Monday to prepare for. On the other.. Deadfire did get released.

• Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I'm about halfway through the tutorial in American Truck Simulator.  Earlier this week I passed my HazMat exam (not a requirement to have a CDL but a nice endorsement to have) and earlier today I went to get fingerprinted and have my background check done (a requirement to get the HazMat endorsement on your CDL).  There are only a few places in the state of North Carolina that provide fingerprinting and background check services for the TSA (Transportation Security Administration) and DOT (Department of Transportation). A nice benefit to living right next to a major city like Charlotte is that I have one of these places right here.  

I'm very confident that I'll pass my pre-trip and back up tests on my first try, it's just a matter of waiting for my turn to test (and continuing to practice in the meanwhile).  After that, I can finally start driving tractor trailers on the road and practicing shifting and double clutching (big rig transmissions don't auto-synchronize like passenger car transmissions do, you have to clutch to get to neutral, which synchronizes the transmission, then clutch again to go into gear).  During my time doing observation (riding in the trucks and watching other students drive while the instructor taught them) it seems upshifting is relatively easy, it's downshifting where people seem to have problems.  Hopefully I catch on quickly and pass my road test (the final test) on my first try.  I'm eager to become a professional and start earning money; truckers don't make much right off the bat, but once you drive for a while and your rate/mile increases, you can make a pretty nice living, if you're willing to put in the miles (which I am).

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 3

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

So, hubby was also feeling extra tired/having extra trouble staying asleep the past couple weeks. I mean sure we're aging and we're not youthful-athletic-in-shape anymore, but most of our free time we kept taking naps/couldn't stay awake long, yet also couldn't sleep for long, it was ridiculous. We finally decided we must have come down with some strange malady. No other obvious symptoms, no fevers etc. Strangest thing ever.

Anyway, I finally feel half-way normal again and able to sleep more hours in a row + stay awake/feel like I can concentrate/do tasks.

Which means I have a lot of delayed housework that needs doing. >.>

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Oh yeah, the joy of compressing a 25GB video taking 1.5-2 hours to render. I remember that.

*twiddles thumbs* Guess I'll have to search for funny cat videos on the laptop.

And tonight, after trying some from some local joint, I've decided nachos should never have any amount of BBQ sauce in them, even if the beef brisket bits and tomatoes and other things are still tasty.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

That's pretty good time, IMO. I rip and encode 30-50GB BluRays at fairly extreme settings that usually take about a solid 24 hours per 15GB or so (...and on an i7 - clearly, I need a Ryzen). I used to use even more extreme settings that would take like a week+, but it was just too much for too little benefit over slightly less extreme settings.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Well the sarcoma on my doggo hasn't spread so the doctor is optimistic. Will suck to subject him to chemo for a month. So that's good news of sorts.

• Like 4

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

i got some steak flavored chips. i gave one to the stray kitten i'm trying to tame and it went nuts. after eating it, it stood under the window and kept meowing for more. it's parents sniffed it a bit but didn't want to eat it.

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

I spent most of the day yesterday picking vegetables. Then last night choosing what I want to keep and putting the rest in hampers. This morning I loaded up the truck and took them to the farmer's market in Dyersburg. I just got home with a full tank of gas and $118 in my pocket. Now it's time to start canning and making preserves. 

• Like 3

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

That's pretty good time, IMO. I rip and encode 30-50GB BluRays at fairly extreme settings that usually take about a solid 24 hours per 15GB or so (...and on an i7 - clearly, I need a Ryzen). I used to use even more extreme settings that would take like a week+, but it was just too much for too little benefit over slightly less extreme settings.

Hehe, yeah, I'm not trying for extreme settings. Just saving space over the default Fraps recording. I use H264 at "slow" rendering and get it down to around 2GB and it looks pretty good for general viewing. Just a game video after all. It's just 15 minutes duration.

I could really use something besides Fraps but despite the enormous file sizes I really like its very non-lossy recordings. Already compressed on the fly videos are terrible for editing purposes imo. It's a pain tho when it's for something you don't care about editing.

Edited by LadyCrimson

I spent most of the day yesterday picking vegetables. Then last night choosing what I want to keep and putting the rest in hampers. This morning I loaded up the truck and took them to the farmer's market in Dyersburg. I just got home with a full tank of gas and $118 in my pocket. Now it's time to start canning and making preserves. 

About how large an area do you grow things on?

Also, out of curiosity, do you have any idea about how much you spent on fertilizer and time spent so that you've got an rough ~$h estimate? :D

Edit; My father was supposed to park his car here while waiting for a garage that he can work in to dismantle the car to pop up. He had determined that he was going to park it close to a giant hole in the ground that we still have. Do you think he managed to put one of his wheels in a pit and beach his car?

Yes... Yes he did. And I had to dig it out...

Edited by Azdeus

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

I have roughly 5 acres cleared for a garden. 20k square meters give or take. Not all of it is planted though. Maybe about 75% of it. I ran out of seed before I ran out of space back in March. The carrots and black eyed peas are the early pick. The rest has a ways to go yet. I'll wait a few more weeks to see f they give me any late pods then clear the plants and turn the soil and let it rest before the fall plant. It costs about $50 per acre to fertilize it twice and apply insecticide. It's pretty labor intensive especially since I'm working alone. If I had to put a dollar value on my time this would be a losing business for sure. But having a pantry full of fresh vegetables is it's own reward. There is over an acre of watermelons that will be ready in mid June. Those you can make a little bit of money on. The farmers market sells them for $5 each so they will buy them from private growers for $2.50-$3 a piece.

• Like 2

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Hire some illegals to help out.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I live in NW Tennessee, I wouldn't even know where to begin looking for illegals. There are plenty of folks of Hispanic ethnicity around and I'd say about all of them were born somewhere north of the Rio Grande and south of Canada. Or maybe not. I don't much care who is from where or what they are doing as long as it does not interfere in my life. 

So today I bought and downloaded Deadfire but figured I'd take another run through PoE (and actually finish it this time) first. I'd say my entertainment is pretty well set for a few months. 

Thomas Sowell

Well illegals will work for less and you can threaten them with ICE. Two wins!

Leverage is always nice to have over employees!

Thomas Sowell

Leverage is always nice to have over employees!

Only reason I go to work.

• Like 1

I've been gone so long, I guess I should call my post "What do you do this year?" ;)

Started in a new job about a month ago, so that was an exciting time.

But, to start from the beginning, made a friend playing swtor about a year ago. We don't play the game anymore, but that wasn't quite the end of it. I guess you could say, it's a bit more than just a casual online friendship.

Spending quite a bit of time doing things together, attending concerts, shows, performances or just checking out the local Pancake Palace at 2am, trekking through the local rain forests etc.. The downside of living in two different corners of the country I guess, have to make maximum use of the time we do have.

We went and saw Disney's Aladdin in Melbourne, as well as concerts with US bands 'Incubus' and 'The Killers'

I also got to see 'The Rocky Horror Picture Show' in Brisbane, alone unfortunately, but she was adamant I had to go and see it, even if she couldn't make it.

Got tickets for Opera House in Sydney, so we are going to see Bill Murray and Jan Vogler there later this year.

I feel culturally very enlightened o:)

Edit: Going to put some youtube links in the appropriate thread

• Like 5

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I decided that my old laptop is so old it's becoming a liability having it as my only pc at home, so started building a new desktop pc. No liquid cooling this time.

Completely lost when it comes to gfx cards these days (bastard bitcoin miners). Currently using the built in Intel "graphics" that came with the motherboard

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein