What did you do today?

Blarghagh

Didn't do much today. Woke up, went back to bed, woke up again, went out, bought some Katphood cat food and here I am! It's 10pm and after having read LadyCrimson's post, I want to see if I can get myself a good ol' cheese pizza.

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

I'm deep into the tutorial of American Truck Simulator.  Today I did my pre-trip inspection test and passed with a perfect grade (I would have been happy with any passing grade).  Tomorrow I do my backing test, it's the last thing standing between me and getting on the road in a tractor trailer.  Once I pass my backing test (I'm very confident) I then have to drive a minimum of 19 hours on the road (with an instructor, of course) before I can take my final test, the road test.

• Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Sat outside with the dog and let him suck up sympathy from everyone passing by. Women dig an 18 inch wiener.

• Like 5

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

DquXHSL.jpg
  • Like 4

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Stellaris is releasing a new DLC today. That means my night is booked. 

• Like 2

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Passed my backing test with a perfect score. :D

Congrats! :)

• Like 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Ok, I finished my first triathlon. Open Water swimming is insane. All my training and preparation went out the window as I just tried to catch my breath. It was a mess. I managed to get in at 24 minutes, which for a 1200 meter swim puts me at 2:00 minutes every 100 meters. I guess it could have been worse. After my first couple hundred meters of panic, I was able to rotate between breast stroke and front crawl and get through it. I clearly need to do some ocean swims to prep more for the chaos. Pool swimming is just not anywhere near the same.

My bike went alright. I finished 16 miles in 51 minutes and handled the hills decently enough. I passed more than I was passed. There was a humbling moment when some 60 year old guys blew by me, but they were riding fancy bikes and wearing aero helmets, so I'm not losing sleep over it.  :biggrin:

The run is where I hit my stride. I ran a 7:39 mile average for a 5 mile course, and I passed a lot of people. I was hanging behind a guy in my age group for the last couple miles, just waiting for the home stretch, and then I sprinted by at the end. That was satisfying. I finished in 1 hour and 57 minutes, and placed 16th out of 50 in my age group, and 82 out of 321 total. I am happy with my time, but I do think I can do better if I avoid nearly drowning on the swim next time. :thumbsup:

congratulations.  you trained for, competed in and finished your first triathlon. everything else is secondary concerns.

however...

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/94703-you-did-what-today/?p=1967868

open water swim training is inconvenient but essential-- you no doubt reached same conclusions 'bout two minutes into the swim event.  

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

open water swim training is inconvenient but essential-- you no doubt reached same conclusions 'bout two minutes into the swim event.  

HA! Good Fun!

Try two seconds. :p

It was definitely something I lacked going in, and it showed. I will be heading to the beach this summer at least once a week to get stronger in the open water, so hopefully I'll gain some good time there. I have another event in a month (Olympic distance) so it will be a quick turnaround.

• Like 1

Stellaris: Distant Stars DLC is installing now. I'm very excited. Or, as excited as I ever get about anything. Which isn't very. 

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I was taught swimming in the North Sea. Not particularly pleasant (rather frigid waters), but you had to make do with what you had. Pools are a luxury that only some schools have access to.

Making last preparations for a trip to Melbourne. Looking forward to watching The Wizard of Oz as a stage production (musical) :)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Today was my first day driving a tractor trailer on the road, I drove for 4 hours.  I was nervous at first, but it turned out to be a lot easier than I anticipated.  I made mistakes, of course, but overall I drove well.  My instructor, who is the owner of the school, was impressed and said I could have passed the road test if I took it today.  First I have to log 15 more road hours, then my actual road test is next Wednesday.  The best tip my instructor gave me was not to grip the shifter firmly, instead move it with just the tips of my fingers.  It's surprising how easily it goes into gear when you have the engine and road speed lined up correctly.  Upshifting is easy.  Downshifting is a bit trickier, but not as hard as I anticipated.

Driving that huge truck felt good.  Real good.  :biggrin:

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 4

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Wife had open reduction to place a plate on her left radius. On the same floor, about 100 feet away, her father died. I had to rush between rooms. My wife is fine so far. My father in law of some 22 years, the man I met at 13 years old, is dead. This drama has played out since the end of last month.

χαίρετε

Wife had open reduction to place a plate on her left radius. On the same floor, about 100 feet away, her father died. I had to rush between rooms. My wife is fine so far. My father in law of some 22 years, the man I met at 13 years old, is dead. This drama has played out since the end of last month.

Oh, God... This sounds like a harrowing couple of weeks. I'm so sorry.

I hope things get better for you and your wife.

Oh, God... This sounds like a harrowing couple of weeks. I'm so sorry.

I hope things get better for you and your wife.

Aw, I'm just being dramatic. Was a rough time, but now the old guy isn't suffering and my wife is on the mend. at least now I don't have to keep driving back and forth to Moreno Valley once or twice a day. Kept up with all my coursework, and maybe can get ahead of the curve again. Thanks for the kind words, brother.
  • Like 3

χαίρετε

Sorry to hear about your family misfortunes Ep, hope you have smooth sailing from here on out.

Today was my first day driving a tractor trailer on the road, I drove for 4 hours.  I was nervous at first, but it turned out to be a lot easier than I anticipated.  I made mistakes, of course, but overall I drove well.  My instructor, who is the owner of the school, was impressed and said I could have passed the road test if I took it today.  First I have to log 15 more road hours, then my actual road test is next Wednesday.  The best tip my instructor gave me was not to grip the shifter firmly, instead move it with just the tips of my fingers.  It's surprising how easily it goes into gear when you have the engine and road speed lined up correctly.  Upshifting is easy.  Downshifting is a bit trickier, but not as hard as I anticipated.

Driving that huge truck felt good.  Real good.  :biggrin:

Nice! :)

I've been training for such things in my car by not using the clutch at all, if you match everything perfectly it just slides in without effort, I've always had more problems with shifting up, don't know why.

Edited by Azdeus
  • Like 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

My condolences, Epaminondas.  I hope your family stays strong through this and your wife recovers fully.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

at first papa cat was a big wuss who stayed away from the food as long as i was around. now he became the most bold being the only one who doesn't pull back when i try to touch him even with no food involved. mama cat and kitten when they are together, they let me pet them while they eat but still keep their distance otherwise.

• Like 1

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

I think the poor birds around here are feeling unwell in the heat. The last month the weather has been really warm, though a 'wee' bit much for me. So far today I've had four avians have a visit inside my room. They've all left on their own accord, but I feel like I need to get a mesh of some kind to stop them from coming in here, the last thing I want is for them to get injured and stuck in here.

Unless it's a seagull, 'cuz **** seagulls.

its unusually warm here too. if its this warm now, i don't want to think about summer

• Like 1

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.