RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS - NOW IN 5$ LOOT BOXES

Blarghagh

What I really want to know, using the original example of lazy or lost media, how does a person prove that they've ever owned the product being copied?

You don't have to, you can't be sued over your private copy... even if you infringed on a copyright to create it. E.g. a friend gives you a mix tape he made from several tapes he bought. Technically the mix tape can be considered a copyright infringement, but your friend already paid the tax on the blank tape, therefore it's not legally pursueable.

Edited by majestic

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Wait....you never even have to have owned the product to begin with!? Mind = blown. Just get your friends together, everyone buy one different program, and then burn the hell out of them to infinity!

Now you've got my mind racing. Using Poland as an example, with a population of 37.95M, I wonder how long it would take to make a copy of MS Office for every single resident. It would expand exponentially, 1 makes 2, 2 makes 4, 4 makes 8, etc. The thought of MS looking at their sales records and being all "wtf, weve only sold one copy in the entire country" has me lolling.

Oh you wacky Europeans. :p

Wait....you never even have to have owned the product to begin with!? Mind = blown. Just get your friends together, everyone buy one different program, and then burn the hell out of them to infinity!

Now you've got my mind racing. Using Poland as an example, with a population of 37.95M, I wonder how long it would take to make a copy of MS Office for every single resident. It would expand exponentially, 1 makes 2, 2 makes 4, 4 makes 8, etc. The thought of MS looking at their sales records and being all "wtf, weve only sold one copy in the entire country" has me lolling.

Oh you wacky Europeans. :p

well, technically all of them would be fined, you can download or copy whatever you want, problem is that you are not allowed to share it

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Besides, Microsoft licenses are a... difficult example. MS rakes in license money from the OEM and Enterprise markets. Everyone whose Windows license didn't come with the computer is probably using an illegal copy installed by a tech savvy friend anyway, and the worst Microsoft ever did was put annoying popups on your screen saying that you might have bought a fake license from a shady dealer.

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Interview re: modding tool possibilities for FFXV

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2018/02/20/final-fantasy-15-mod-support-essential/

The modding tool won’t be available straight away at launch, sadly, but Mr Aramaki assured me they planned to have it out “very soon” after release.

“We’re also trying to make [the tool] something where you don’t need any previous programming knowledge to do,” Aramaki continued. “Anyone will be able to pick it up and use it. At first it will be quite limited, with the ability to switch around costumes and reskin things in the game, but slowly we’re going to add more and more freedom to the tool to allow you to do different things. For example, play around with the story progression and the levels.

“We’re also going to start out focusing most of the mods around the single player content for the game and then gradually expand it to include things which may go into the multiplayer. First of all, if you have it on the single player, you’re not going to have things there that ruin other people’s gaming experience if it’s not quite right. That’s the right way of approaching it – starting out locally and then widening it.”

...all world npc's as cactuars is funny and all, but I need that dance mod. :biggrin:

...sadly initially it'll probably be mostly the usual reskins and other stuff I rarely care about. Just hope those tools will actually eventually let you do more than minor changes and level editing.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

...and the worst Microsoft ever did was put annoying popups on your screen saying that you might have bought a fake license from a shady dealer.

Huh, I didn't know they even did that. With all the popups I get on my mobile games, I'm impervious to such machinations. :lol:

They want the pirates in their install base as well, while of course pretending that they don't. The risk that a segment might jump ship and that Linux or whatever might lose its fringe status and a common alternative might emerge and windows then not being THE OS anymore is present, then OEMs aren't worth as much anymore. 

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

From the folks that made Hatred and IS Defense.  This looks to be their first game that doesn't go for controversy/shock value to get publicity.  It's a RTS set in dark ages Europe. 

• Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Yet another turn based game. GW has Orks in charge of the licencing I think - More Dakka is the answer :p

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Yet another turn based game. GW has Orks in charge of the licencing I think - More Dakka is the answer :p

For most people this is an actual trailer, for people that know WH40k this is surely a joke trailer.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

I've read all of Dan Abnett's Gaunts Ghosts books, and the parts I enjoyed the most were always the ones that had interactions with civilians in it / were showing civilian life / anything of lore outside of pure combat. Why is nobody making a 40k game with that in mind, even if just barely? These games, they all look the same, they all have exactly the same focus, and they all bore the hell out of me after just a short time.

Really, if I had the resources and would be working on a 40k game, I'd have the player start out as an imperial soldier in some sort of WW1-styled landing operation, do some combat stuff and then drive it all back into a kind of detective adventure game with only little combat encounters. Something that has you interact with a more "down to earth" kind of setting, as much as it'd be possible.

• Like 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

I've read all of Dan Abnett's Gaunts Ghosts books, and the parts I enjoyed the most were always the ones that had interactions with civilians in it / were showing civilian life / anything of lore outside of pure combat. Why is nobody making a 40k game with that in mind, even if just barely?

Do read Eisenhorn and Ravenor trilogies if you haven't.

So if you don't specifically put yourself in that position, you should be good to go?

Which part of 'software bug' is 'putting yourself into that position'? The installer extracts a piece of active spyware on your computer and only deletes it in case of passing an arbitrarily set-up check, that's actually pretty easy to screw up.

In fact, which part of 'Operating software I have purchased within confines of the law' should reasonably make me assume that my personal data will be sent over the internet?

What I really want to know, using the original example of lazy or lost media, how does a person prove that they've ever owned the product being copied?

Receipts are a thing that exists. Edited by Fenixp

Receipts are a thing that exists.

Yeah, but who wants to sort through the backseat of their car for one of those?

That's where everyone else keeps theirs, right?

• Like 2
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I've read all of Dan Abnett's Gaunts Ghosts books, and the parts I enjoyed the most were always the ones that had interactions with civilians in it / were showing civilian life / anything of lore outside of pure combat. Why is nobody making a 40k game with that in mind, even if just barely?

Do read Eisenhorn and Ravenor trilogies if you haven't.

Did already. I think Eisenhorn was a lot better than Ravenor, tho.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Do as I do and hope for a Dark Heresy game.

Or a Rogue Trader. Could be like Mass Effect but with more skulls

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Which part of 'software bug' is 'putting yourself into that position'? The installer extracts a piece of active spyware on your computer and only deletes it in case of passing an arbitrarily set-up check, that's actually pretty easy to screw up.

In fact, which part of 'Operating software I have purchased within confines of the law' should reasonably make me assume that my personal data will be sent over the internet?

C'mon, you can try harder! Ill help you out with your own quote:

...simply because it's often faster than finding box/manual/whatever.

So, if you aren't lazy and/or lost your stuff, you wont be in this position! Amazing!

Receipts are a thing that exists

Cool, cool. Others say they don't matter. I'm honestly amazed that you can hang on to your receipt but not the disc. What a pickle youre in!

Yeah, but who wants to sort through the backseat of their car for one of those?

That's where everyone else keeps theirs, right?

Maybe that's where all my Pink Floyd receipts are. To the Gfted1mobile!

I think the onus always should be on the purchaser to care for the item, and to maintain proof of ownership—if they want that.

If a person buys an ice cream cone (or a car), and loses it, or smashes it, or loans it out... That doesn't entitle them to another one for free; why should it apply to media or software?

*Still, it's nice when a company agrees to replace a thing through their own process. There are Pizza places here now, that offer pizza insurance; they will replace a pie that gets ruined on the way home; (presumably... provided that the buyer paid the insurance fee.  

Edited by Gizmo
  • Like 1

C'mon, you can try harder! Ill help you out with your own quote:

Not the point. It's perfectly legal to use an incorrect/different serial number to access software you have purchased and it's completely illegal to send poorly encrypted personal information over the internet without my consent. It is, therefore, perfectly reasonable for me to assume that no personal information will be sent when I use a different serial number.

I do enjoy your insistence on ignoring the 'software bug' point tho - if you're perfectly fine with software installing unsolicited spyware on your computer and trust software developers to be infallible, well, that's on you.

Cool, cool. Others say they don't matter. I'm honestly amazed that you can hang on to your receipt but not the disc. What a pickle youre in!

Receipts were enough of a proof of ownership for court of law during my divorce, I'm pretty sure their word outweighs that of 'Others'.

If a person buys an ice cream cone (or a car), and loses it, or smashes it, or loans it out... That doesn't entitle them to another one for free; why should it apply to media or software?

It shouldn't, as in - when you lose a disc with software, you should not be entitled to a free copy sent to you on distributor's expense. However, if you have purchased license to use the software and lose the disc it's on, burrowing your friend's disc and copying it should absolutely be legal and moral, considering you do have the software license - as long as you have proof of purchase in your hands of course. Edited by Fenixp
  • Like 2

It's perfectly legal to use an incorrect/different serial number to access software you have purchased and it's completely illegal to send poorly encrypted personal information over the internet without my consent. It is, therefore, perfectly reasonable for me to assume that no personal information will be sent when I use a different serial number.

Is it really? I think that seems fraudulent to me; but there are cases where software (and the serial number) is transferred by sale.  Still... Posted numbers on the web are probably stolen keys to stolen property.

*Also: Does using another person's registered serial substitute their information for yours?  (In cases where the original registrant was recorded.)

Edited by Gizmo