but yeah, it were possible to reach level 12 a fair bit before the end o' the game.  however, particular following the bounty nerf, we sure as heck wouldn't have benefited from 4-8 additional levels in poe 1.

HA! Good Fun!

Oh, of course. Conceptually aware I can't be often.

*thread is too long now, anyway

Edited by ManifestedISO

All Stop. On Screen.

the one thing we did find odd 'bout the poe level cap is how the developers were so certain regarding the possible xp in the game.  belief were only hard core completionists would hit the poe1 level cap, and they would do so late in the game.  josh mentioned how it were easy for developers to look at total xp available on maps or in quests or whatever.  when the possibility o' adding token per kill xp, and trap xp, and exploration xp, folks wondered at the wisdom o' doing so as it were hypothesized the developers would be unable to account for all such sources.  josh and obsidian shrugged off such concerns as it would be easy for developers to see exp totals from multiple sources, and balance 'em accordingly.

never did get a good answer from obsidian as to why their certainty regarding xp were so clear off the mark.  bounty xp were making a big difference, but even when reduced, it weren't hard to reach  level cap late chapter 3 or early chapter 4... not that we minded much.  in a game with considerable tangential content producing large 'mounts o' xp, there is gonna be a gap 'tween the completionist and the critical path player.  however, while the level cap issue weren't near as bad as some suggested, at least not following the bounty nerfing, obsidian being caught unawares were a bit o' a surprise given their assurances and certainty regarding xp awards.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

It would be interesting that Josh or another dev could tell us how they are going to deal with levellingup so fast.

They've got another Twitch QA going live next week; we can ask this question.

I'm among those who would have liked a second level cap increase to 20, and I'm happy we got it. I don't feel need for more levels beyond 20, but I'm glad we can get there. Of course I expect some extra content, and not just "you gain XP a helluva lot faster." As someone else has already mentioned, Feargus said on Fig it's a bit of both—indeed a good question for Josh how they plan on balancing this.

I'm glad we get to play with more high-level abilities and we get two more levels to develop our multiclassed concepts (though the orchestra is what makes me really stoked about this stretch goal, and the extra subclass is an unexpected icing on the cake.)

Edited by AndreaColombo
  • Like 1

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

In Pillars 1 doing sidequests etc. lost purpose a long time before the end as you hit the level cap way way before it. I don't think that is an ideal situation either.

If the side quests are well written I don't really mind not getting experience for completing them: I enjoy doing them for their own sake.

True, but Pillars had bunch of bounty quests that kinda lost purpose when you already had hit the level cap. 

Hate the living, love the dead.

Another level cap increase? Seriously? This is one of the most pointless stretch goals. If they are increasing the content (more sidequests being added) that leads to the need for increasing the cap then i'm fine. But i doubt this is the case considering in some articles i read, the length of the game is similar to PoE1. With same amount of content with just increase level cap, they are probably bloating the XP gain faster so that you level faster. I'm opposing in having many levels IF each level up does not has any significant gain. They are again holding back those goals that people really want. Considering they are making a sequel, the budget for orchestra should already been included in the budget and not unlocked via stretch goals. Full orchestra, it's not something that is going to add to the game significantly, IMO.

120 minutes of orchestral music isn't actually free and they do have a limited budget for the game. They already had a bunch of orchestral music in the game that they funded themselves. Orchestral music is one of the most wanted stretch goals in Kickstarter campaign games.  It adds a lot to the overall feeling of the game. 

And if they don't increase the level cap 50% of players will whine how there's not enough new skills in the game and how they question that Eothas could kick The Watcher's *** if they are at the same lvl in the end that they were in Pillars 1. You need those extra levels to make it seem like your character progresses and is capable of defeating Eothas and/or other bigger and badder enemies.

What makes you think that each level doesn't have significant gain? With multiclassing leveling up has bigger impact than before. 

• Like 1

True, but Pillars had bunch of bounty quests that kinda lost purpose when you already had hit the level cap.

I thought the whole point of the bounties was to provide challenging encounters for players who like that sort of thing.

That as well. But still it's better if you don't hit level cap 20 hours before the last fight.

I really dig Justin Bell, so this is the best stretch goal so far, and it has to be reached. Imagine getting all these lovely tunes recorded with an orchestra! Yum! :)

And I love to develop characters, so two more levels, given the faster levelling and more content in PoE2, makes it even more juicier.

I'm chuffed!

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

That as well. But still it's better if you don't hit level cap 20 hours before the last fight.

Oh I agree. I like to hit max level a little while before the last fight so I actually get a chance to play with my finished build (similarly I like to get the best gear a bit before the end too) but I agree that hitting max level too early is a shame.

• Like 1

abit late to the 2.8m$ party, but boy is it a great one. Pretty much my favorite stretch goal. Great job Obs for going bigger with stretch goals now! Hurray! Let's hope we get this and 3m$ done in a few days. So the real fun can begin. x)

Archaven, don't expect too much...

I think sub-classes in this game = ~ bonus of classes in PoE1... + modification of the concept (with or without pet etc.)

I hope better but I prefer do not expect too much with that.

----

Yes, it is one of the best stretch goals.

Guys ! With level 20 there a ton of new abilities and spells.

Edited by theBalthazar

It would be interesting that Josh or another dev could tell us how they are going to deal with levellingup so fast.

They've got another Twitch QA going live next week; we can ask this question.

I'm among those who would have liked a second level cap increase to 20, and I'm happy we got it. I don't feel need for more levels beyond 20, but I'm glad we can get there. Of course I expect some extra content, and not just "you gain XP a helluva lot faster." As someone else has already mentioned, Feargus said on Fig it's a bit of both—indeed a good question for Josh how they plan on balancing this.

I'm glad we get to play with more high-level abilities and we get two more levels to develop our multiclassed concepts (though the orchestra is what makes me really stoked about this stretch goal, and the extra subclass is an unexpected icing on the cake.)

Nice idea. I hope they explain in the next QA how to reach lvl 20 from 1 in an interesting way.

I like to hit max level a little while before the last fight so I actually get a chance to play with my finished build (similarly I like to get the best gear a bit before the end too)

This very much.

If I max out right before the final fight, it's like working toward an objective for the whole game and when you can finally reap the benefits of your work, the game's like, "LOL Nope, I'm over."

Edited by AndreaColombo
  • Like 2

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Good stretch goal IMO. Gives a little something to those who want to see extra content (sub-classes and level cap) but still stays somewhat grounded.

BTW, JE Sawyer previously described the sub-classes as being most analogous to kits in BG2, if you've played that. (If you haven't, some of the differences were pretty significant, and it seems like this is likely to be the case for PoE2 sub-classes as well. Specifically mentioned there will be a druid sub-class that focusses on shapeshifting, which I expect will be popular.)

I like to hit max level a little while before the last fight so I actually get a chance to play with my finished build (similarly I like to get the best gear a bit before the end too)

Exactly. It is the problem with late spells and events at the end in generals.

Like a certain bonus when you kill two dragons and a mage at the end. Or persuade her for a bonus... that is useless because... it's the end of the game : p

Edited by theBalthazar

I liked the BGs with an uncapper for that. You max out actual skills and spells and so on, but the counter continues counting, you get to press that sweet "+" now and then, and it gives you a token HP or something which doesn't really matter. Psychology is a strange thing. :D

If reaching the level cap substantially before the end is possible, there should basically only the critical path remain (and maybe the finishing stages of some really important side quests).

Therefore I have sailed the seas and come

To the holy city of Byzantium. -W.B. Yeats

Χριστός ἀνέστη!

BTW, JE Sawyer previously described the sub-classes as being most analogous to kits in BG2, 

correction:  subclasses were described with "kit" language, but not with reference to bg2 versions.  

kits existed in d&d 2e.  black isle also attempted to add kits to iwd2 before the game were made 3e. bg2 kits were munchkiny and they were almost universal better than the base class.  josh has specific stated how the base class will continue to have appeal regardless o' creating subclasses.  as such, bg2 kits may not be the best guide to be anticipating poe2 subclass implementation.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)