Best way to get more people backing is show gameplay, talk about/show in detail base game features etc. I don't know why they are holding all this back since the game is already in alpha state (as Adam mentioned in last Q&A).

Adam also said that they are not comfortable showing big amounts of gameplay footage due to bugs and other (art?) stuff they need to sort out.

They still have plenty of time left to tell and show more about the game. With the funds sitting around 3.2 million (if you count 800k waiting to processed) they are probably ahead of schedule all ready. The campaign is progressing steadily and they stil have plenty of "ammunition" left for the last push before the campaign ends. Though I believe just like last time, you can still add stuff to your pledge or pay through PayPal even though the Fig campaign ends.

Hate the living, love the dead.

Best way to get more people backing is show gameplay, talk about/show in detail base game features etc. I don't know why they are holding all this back since the game is already in alpha state (as Adam mentioned in last Q&A).

Yeah, I agree. I don't see why they don't talk more about the details. List the afflictions and inspirations, and give a rough idea of what they do. Give us some more subclasses to talk about. Show gameplay (just a single combat encounter would do). Tell us about how classes have been changed. Show us some examples of spells/abilities and how they scale. Do they just get more powerful, or do somethings get added effects like CC and the like. Everything has been kind of vague.

There's only so much they can cover/tell during the campaign. If they give out everything right now, they won't have any updates after the campaign ends. It's not just these 28 days they need to figure out, they need to plan out their marketing plan  from the small hints Josh started dropping until the day are done with the game and then some more.  The game's release date is still 1 year away and they need to be able to talk about something new even after the campaign ends to get some media coverage and exposure, otherwise they risk that the game won't get enough exposure in the media to get people to buy the game once it's actually out.

And from a marketing point of view, you want people to ask for more rather than going "stop spamming me all ready with your updates".

So far in my opinion they've been giving plenty of information on the game, more than most publishers would after announcing a game. Publisher would just put NDA on pretty much every developer and few individuals would give that same practiced speech to few gaming sites/magazines.

• Like 1

What i mean was they are final with their decision and simply no negotiations about it. "We'll stick with 5" regardless of whatever reason or no matter how you are trying to convince them. Even asking an unofficial unlocking of the 6th character from some files.. the answer is simply no.

I think the reason they're not going to be convinced is that they've spent a lot of their adult lives making and balancing CRPGs; JE Sawyer has been working on them for just under 18 years. The decisions they've made come as the result of a lot of experience making and playtesting games, and watching people with all different experience levels play their games. It is going to be very difficult to convince them to reverse a decision they've obviously put some thought into, especially when the arguments are rubbish like 'but if someone wants to play with 5 they could just choose not to recruit that last person'.

EDIT: I have heard it suggested that one of the advantages of crowdfunding is that it also opens a dialogue with fans regarding the development of the game. I would suggest that it is also one of the disadvantages, because it opens a company up to a lot of people who think they know what makes a game good, but often actually don't.

Edited by Chairchucker
  • Like 6

What i mean was they are final with their decision and simply no negotiations about it. "We'll stick with 5" regardless of whatever reason or no matter how you are trying to convince them. Even asking an unofficial unlocking of the 6th character from some files.. the answer is simply no.

I think the reason they're not going to be convinced is that they've spent a lot of their adult lives making and balancing CRPGs; JE Sawyer has been working on them for just under 18 years. The decisions they've made come as the result of a lot of experience making and playtesting games, and watching people with all different experience levels play their games. It is going to be very difficult to convince them to reverse a decision they've obviously put some thought into, especially when the arguments are rubbish like 'but if someone wants to play with 5 they could just choose not to recruit that last person'.

EDIT: I have heard it suggested that one of the advantages of crowdfunding is that it also opens a dialogue with fans regarding the development of the game. I would suggest that it is also one of the disadvantages, because it opens a company up to a lot of people who think they know what makes a game good, but often actually don't.

Yeah, I'm as guilty of that as anyone, and I do enjoy the feeling of being involved in the development process somehow, but at some point we have to realize that a lot of what we're doing here is just armchair quarterbacking.

Edited by mumbogumshoe

Request was a plea to ask them to allow people who want to play with the 6th character to be able to unlock them unofficially via some file tweaks. Not asking them to reverse their decisions. Also, making a statement about someone's opinion: 'but if someone wants to play with 5 they could just choose not to recruit that last person' which is actually also a fact as "rubbish" is really uncalled for. You are indirect implying that if a cook has been cooking for past 18 years, and he is much better cook than anyone else as a patron who thinks if the food he cooks is tasty or not, actually don't. Or a singer who has been singing for more than 10 years and a judge (who doesn't know how to sing) shouldn't be even judging him. Very good reasoning you have for calling it rubbish simply for disagreeing.

Edited by Archaven

I think part of the reason is there are a hundred different things that fans want/don't want, so Obsidian have to be incredibly cautious about making changes based on fan pressure or risk opening the floodgates. After all, if I want to change X, and I see Obsidian cave to pressure to change Y, I am going to assume pressure will make them change X as well. Very soon we have design by committee which, as we all know, is totally the best way to design things ;)

I think part of the reason is there are a hundred different things that fans want/don't want, so Obsidian have to be incredibly cautious about making changes based on fan pressure or risk opening the floodgates. After all, if I want to change X, and I see Obsidian cave to pressure to change Y, I am going to assume pressure will make them change X as well. Very soon we have design by committee which, as we all know, is totally the best way to design things ;)

I agree with you. Devs cannot please everyone. There are certain changes they are open for discussion though. I personally love the per encounter approach rather than vancian. But i can see that if enough pressure, they may actually reverse the idea, IMO. But out of everything, the biggest way to prove that a developer is wrong is by boycotting them with sales.. which Obsidian is very smart.. They know "our loyal fans" wouldn't do that .. they'll just follow and obey whatever we've designed :p

Request was a plea to ask them to allow people who want to play with the 6th character to be able to unlock them unofficially via some file tweaks. Not asking them to reverse their decisions. Also, making a statement about someone's opinion: 'but if someone wants to play with 5 they could just choose not to recruit that last person' which is actually also a fact as "rubbish" is really uncalled for. You are indirect implying that if a cook has been cooking for past 18 years, and he is much better cook than anyone else as a patron who thinks if the food is tasty or not, actually don't. Or a singer who has been singing for more than 10 years and a judge (who doesn't know how to sing) shouldn't be even judging him. Very good reasoning you have for calling it rubbish simply for disagreeing.

Well maybe, just maybe something like that isn't all that easily moddable and might break plenty of things if done half ***ed and thus taking plenty of time from some programmer who has actual work to be done so the game isn't a buggy mess when it comes out?

It would probably **** up the UI as well which I imagine is being designed for a party of 5, not six. Not to mention it would ruin whatever balance they've built for their encounters.

Though why stop at 6, why not all 7 companions at the same time? The more the merrier? Enough of this "dumbing it down", old school crpgs had party of 8 people?

I seriously don't understand why peole are so religious about 1 party member. I would understand if it was 2, but it's just one.

The cook also doesn't have 50 people yelling in his/her ears about wanting less salt, more salt or how he just ruined everything by adding a some pepper into the mix.

• Like 2

Enough of OT here.. bring proper discussion to appropriate thread. Let's guess what's the next stretch goal shall we? Please be a new city stretch goal or the 8th companion.. it's 1M past the previous companion though.. And 8th is actually hinted by Feargus himself.

I sure hope it's the companion.

• Like 2

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

2.5M soon.. perhaps they are waiting for 2.6M being hit to release double happiness.. ahem double release of the stretch goals.. that way they can still release a mediocre goal at 2.8M and 3.0 will be the one that everyone wants... in other words... fishing  :blink: .. fig funds up 1.22 -> 1.24. Which i'm right.. they are slowing releasing the funds to aid achieving goals.. also another +350 backers to unlock the 1st island. 15 island this time around seems far reach  ;(

Edited by Archaven

I don't mind getting less islands; if anything, that means they won't have to stretch themselves too thin developing the contents. 4-5 well-done islands beat 15 poorly done ones :)

I'd also be happy with the level cap increase, being the hardened powergamer I am.

• Like 1

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

I don't mind getting less islands; if anything, that means they won't have to stretch themselves too thin developing the contents. 4-5 well-done islands beat 15 poorly done ones :)

I'd also be happy with the level cap increase, being the hardened powergamer I am.

Unfortunately.. we haven't even get 1 unlocked yet  ;(

We're close, though. PayPal and the final push will bring over some more. :)