Each island must have at least fifteen floors of dungeon on it, and at the bottom there must be a dragon  :biggrin:

TWO dragons. Ever since White March, one dragon seems so lackluster ;)

am s'posing, given the nautical theme, one could mix things up a bit and occasional have a sea (dragon) serpent and a kraken in the island's lagoon.  perhaps a leviathan and a kraken, or a sea serpent and a leviathan?  y'know, just for sake o' variety.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Or the ultimate advisory: a rules-lawyer. That player can not be beat and you have ta gather you character sheet and handbooks in hopeless defeat.

never had much difficulty with such.  a friendly warning or two were usual enough if the dm/gm were competent. 

the rules lawyers come 'pon an enemy mage, a mage in possession o' two unique scrolls.  before, or perhaps after, zagyg's apotheosis, he created two unique summoning spells: Swarm of Disenchanters, and Murder of Rust Monsters.  the insane mage the rules lawyers is confronting happens to have scrolls o' both spells, and he is itching (literally) to use 'em.

kinda encounter happens once and rules-lawyering stops.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Also, making a statement about someone's opinion: 'but if someone wants to play with 5 they could just choose not to recruit that last person' which is actually also a fact as "rubbish" is really uncalled for.

It's an argument that has been directly refuted a number of times, and the refutation goes roughly as follows:

When a developer makes a game with a maximum party size of a certain number, they balance encounters around that number. JE Sawyer has mentioned elsewhere that they found that restricting parties to five members and balancing encounters accordingly made for a better tactical experience. You can't balance a game for the maximum number of companions and also for every number of companions less than that, so you must make the maximum number where you want to balance the game.

I like Neytiri.. female Amaua in blue? resembling the movie Avatar :p. Too bad we have an Amaua companion alread.. and she's not blue :(

​Probably because we are getting a pale blue elf. *Crosses fingers and does dance on back porch in pajamas*

I like Neytiri.. female Amaua in blue? resembling the movie Avatar :p. Too bad we have an Amaua companion alread.. and she's not blue :(

​Probably because we are getting a pale blue elf. *Crosses fingers and does dance on back porch in pajamas*

I would like a Pale Elf Companion. The question is what class? Classes we won't have available from companions as best we can guess are: Barbarian, Druid, Chanter, Cipher. The Amaua with the arquebuss is likely a ranger, and it's a tough call on the Orlan. He could be a rogue, a Chanter, a Cipher, or maybe a Barbarian subclass that focuses on ranged weapons (not likely)?

I doubt we will get another Orlan Druid, Rogue is less likely because of Eder, and the Barbarian subclass is wishful thinking. So, he is most likely a Chanter or a Cipher. He looks like a Pirate, and it would be a neat concept for a Chanter that is looking for riches like a less friendly Nathan Drake that knows a lot of history of the Deadfire/shipwrecks/ancient treasures/etc. He could basically be a greedy Chanter looking for get rich quick scenarios. Xoti is either Priest or Monk, Eder is Fighter or Rogue, Pallegina is Paladin, Aloth is Wizard.

So, to recap Chanter or Cipher are most likely for the Orlan, and I think Chanter would be more interesting for a character given the locale. However, Cipher is just as likely.

That leaves barbarian and Druid for the Pale Elf. Or, it could be an either or character like Eder and Xoti. Which would be amazing, imho.

Edited by Ganrich
  • Like 1

am suspecting an unknown companion will be a dwarf.  dwarves are one o' the more common races in the deadfire archipelago.  am not gonna guess classes. we got elf, human, godlike, aumaua, and orlan companions. as yet unseen dwarf seems likely.

HA! Good Fun! 

Kind of expecting (wishful thinking?) Male Mountain Dwarf Barbarian, Female Pale Elf Druid. Maybe the Pale Elf Druid could have a unique polar form. Polar Bear, Wolf, Dire Penguin, Snow Leopard. What! Penguin? I said no such thing!

• Like 2

am suspecting an unknown companion will be a dwarf.  dwarves are one o' the more common races in the deadfire archipelago.  am not gonna guess classes. we got elf, human, godlike, aumaua, and orlan companions. as yet unseen dwarf seems likely.

HA! Good Fun!

Someone asked Feargus in the Fig comments if we could have another Stretch Goal Companion, and he said, "Yes, but when?" This was after Xoti was funded. So, we already have one unknown companion, and another stretch goal companion means we have two (if we hit that goal). I definitely see a Dwarf being one based on the region and their populations there. I just hope that IF we see 8 companions in total that they have a Pale Elf. Doubling up on races isn't necessarily bad, and a Pale Elf could bring some interesting story elements to the table that Aloth doesn't. We know very little about them so we could see them being fleshed out a bit, they tend to not travel north so that sets up a good basis for their story by explaining why they are in the Deadfire, and they are Elves with beards. Lol

if the unidentified 7th companion is a dwarf, then by necessity, an 8th companion would needs be doubling.  human, aumaua, and dwarf would be most appropriate to the setting, but am doubting such is a major consideration, and would hardly be a limit.  could be shady's self-aware weapon companion.  had a rainbow bear in a previous obsidian game.  we got no guess as to what a hypothetical 8th companion would be.  were simple identifying the likelihood o' the 7th being a dwarf.

HA! Good Fun!

New stretch goal is awesome. 1 more sublcass per class, level 20 is the new cap, and orchestrated soundtrack.

It's a little weird that they put all three of those into one goal, when any one of them would probably have produced quite a bit of hype from the community. Not that I am complaining.

• Like 1

New stretch goal is awesome. 1 more sublcass per class, level 20 is the new cap, and orchestrated soundtrack.

It's a little weird that they put all three of those into one goal, when any one of them would probably have produced quite a bit of hype from the community. Not that I am complaining.

Yup, I noticed that too. I really think they were noticing the humdrum reactions to the past few stretch goals, and changed this one to me more content driven with another sublcass and extra levels. The orchestra is icing on the cake.

If I were them, I would have had another simple stretch goal plus localization for $2.8m, and gone ahead and posted this update for $3m. We will be at 2.8 in no time, I think. Also, with the weekend here, they could rest easy. I'm sure they have more info that I do, and they know what they are doing. Either way, it's a great stretch goal. I'm really excited for the 3rd subclass and Orchestra, and a level 20 cap is definitely cool.

if the unidentified 7th companion is a dwarf, then by necessity, an 8th companion would needs be doubling.  human, aumaua, and dwarf would be most appropriate to the setting, but am doubting such is a major consideration, and would hardly be a limit.  could be shady's self-aware weapon companion.  had a rainbow bear in a previous obsidian game.  we got no guess as to what a hypothetical 8th companion would be.  were simple identifying the likelihood o' the 7th being a dwarf.

HA! Good Fun!

Sometimes a companion that doesn't fit the setting is a good thing. It makes them feel unique within the setting. Having everyone fit nice and neat can become a bit bland. Sometimes you need to spice it up.

The music was excellent in the original, Justin Bell did a fabulous job and the enhanced sound goals are really great goals imho.

The inc. lvl cap etc are awesome too, but I think audio tends to get overlooked.  I like the increased VO too for that matter, but unlike VO, it's not going to be annoying ;0

I might just point out that I especially liked the small musical touches in PoE, such as the Tavern Music @ whatever that ****-hole tavern was called in the White March/Stalwart..

cheers,  great goals.

-tid242

• Like 1

Yup, I noticed that too. I really think they were noticing the humdrum reactions to the past few stretch goals, and changed this one to me more content driven with another sublcass and extra levels. The orchestra is icing on the cake.

If I were them, I would have had another simple stretch goal plus localization for $2.8m, and gone ahead and posted this update for $3m. We will be at 2.8 in no time, I think. Also, with the weekend here, they could rest easy. I'm sure they have more info that I do, and they know what they are doing. Either way, it's a great stretch goal. I'm really excited for the 3rd subclass and Orchestra, and a level 20 cap is definitely cool.

They already know that the campaign will probably reach 3.5-4m in the end (esp. if the Investors really are at 2m), so where they place the goals from that range is just a formality (chances are that those 3 things will cost them more than $200k). I guess they wanted to make us happy and break the mid-campaign lull :grin:  

Edited by mph

They already know that the campaign will probably reach 3.5-4m in the end (esp. if the Investors really are at 2m), so where they place the goals from that range is just a formality (chances are that those 3 things will cost them more than $200k). I guess they wanted to make us happy and break the mid-campaign lull :grin:

It's best to never assume anything is a sure thing. We will reach around $3.3m when the rest of the investors come into the total, but you don't want to dump all your goodies this early. Once the investors are approved its new backers and add-ons that will carry the campaign, and they will need more enticing to dump money toward the end with the investors all added in. So, I'm optimistic that you are right, but I wouldn't throw caution to the wind either.