1st island unlock.. 14 to go... i doubt we can even hit 3  :blink:

Another 7500 backers doesn't seem unlikely to me, that's another 6 Islands.

Yep, and I'd rather get quality over quantity. 15 islands would just mean they aren't as well done.

Hate the living, love the dead.

Most wanted stretchgoals:

1 - Romance

2 - New modular stronghold with mor building and decoration options

3 - New dialogue interface with animated portraits like in Diablo III

4 - Advanced diplomacy system to solve quests without fighitng

5 - Expand upon the magic Mallett/Rope/Crowbar trilogy, build more complicated interactions requiring more objects and some thought from the player

6 - A more dynamic faction system (Tyranny is a good starting point)

1 - Romance

5 - Expand upon the magic Mallett/Rope/Crowbar trilogy, build more complicated interactions requiring more objects and some thought from the player

Hell no.

1 -Romance

2 -New modular stronghold with mor building and decoration options

3- New dialogue interface with animated portraits like in Diablo III

The rest (4 to 6) are already in the core game as I believe.

Edited by Messier-31
  • Like 3

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

$5,000,000+ stretch goal: Keep Obsidianites gainfully employed.

http://www.obsidian.net/

https://aw.my.com/us/news/general/mycom-adopts-future-work-armored-warfare

5 million wouldn't be enough though. AW team is huge, probably around 100+ people. They need a big project or two smaller with full funding to keep them employed. 

Hell no.

1 -Romance

2 -New modular stronghold with mor building and decoration options

3- New dialogue interface with animated portraits like in Diablo III

The rest (4 to 6) are already in the core game as I believe.

With you 100% there.

• Like 2

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

5 million wouldn't be enough though. AW team is huge, probably around 100+ people. They need a big project or two smaller with full funding to keep them employed. 

​Not to be political. But Microsoft has been pretty vile for a long time. Hearing about the behind the scenes over what happened to Scalebound was shocking. Obsidian needs to saddle up to some better publishers. Ones that understand PC games. I hope they find a project with Paradox, maybe Sega. Take-Two maybe even. Shame their relations with Zenimax fell out.

​Edit: Maybe it's time for a new Vampire: The Masquerade game. Come on Paradox, do the right thing and give it to Obsidian.

Edited by injurai

Does that mean Obsidian in a financial crisis yet again?

​Depends on what their contract was, and whether they were expecting something like this. Or were at least well informed. Still they would need to find a comparable project to move to next.

No, it just means a lot of good people lost their jobs and their baby was taken away by Russians. 

​Depends on what their contract was, and whether they were expecting something like this. Or were at least well informed. Still they would need to find a comparable project to move to next.

That really suxs... I hope PoE2 crowdfunding can help them a little.

Well, I'm wearing my black Obsidian Entertainment t-shirt today in a fanboyish show of solidarity.

• Like 8

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Maybe in a few months time they can get a small team together for another crowdfunding project for another IP in another genre using Deadfire's tools? I know that isn't a catch all for that team as it is a huge team, but it could help. It would also give them another IP to use to stay afloat.

Maybe in a few months time they can get a small team together for another crowdfunding project for another IP in another genre using Deadfire's tools? I know that isn't a catch all for that team as it is a huge team, but it could help. It would also give them another IP to use to stay afloat.

​Make a proper D2Lod successor with pre-rendered backgrounds. I'd back that in an instant.

Speculation: you wouldn't necessarily achieve the level 20 cap in the normal course of playing Deadfire. They may be saving that for a potential expansion set.

• Like 1

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

1 - Romance

They've previous said they'd only do romances if they could Do It Right (which to me feels like code for not happening)

They've already said that they've got a replacement for the stronghold which most people are pretty confident is gonna be a sweet pirate ship, apparently they'll release more on this later

One of the stretch goals they've attained was watercolour portraits which is what will be used for dialogue

Non combat related quest resolutions was already in the first one and will almost certainly be in the sequel

There were a fair few unique objects that could be found and used with other objects

JE Sawyer has confirmed they plan to do a bit more with factions already.

• Like 1

Speculation: you wouldn't necessarily achieve the level 20 cap in the normal course of playing Deadfire. They may be saving that for a potential expansion set.

Observation: Is it you, HK-47?

Query: Or are you just another meatbag?

Edited by Messier-31

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

correction:  subclasses were described with "kit" language, but not with reference to bg2 versions.

https://www.fig.co/campaigns/deadfire?update=241#updates

"Subclasses are similar to kits in 2nd Edition AD&D (featured in Baldur's Gate 2)."

fair enough.  guess we need actual read the updates, eh?  the thing is, josh also observed how he wanted to make playing the base class equal viable, which were not the case with bg2.  

most ad&d classes and kits were frontloaded, with most significant abilities added at level one.  poe don't work that way, so am wondering what josh actual has in mind as he has specific noted how abilities in poe will scale.  archetypes from pathfinder might be what is being considered, but we ain't seen much feedback.

that being said, the black isle developers (josh specifically) designed kits for iwd2.  they were not what bg2 fans expected.  they were not what fans expected precise 'cause the base classes were still having appeal.  am thinking this will be another case where invoking ie game nomenclature will result in headaches for the obsidians.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Oh that's right. From the time we heard about 2 sub-classes to getting 3, I had forgotten the base class will also a viable option. My god the amount of class combinations we will be able to make is beginning to send my head spinning. Oh-ee-yeah, Head Spin! Oh-ee-yoh, Head Spin!

Is my understand correct on sub-classes that upon advancement from base class, player has the option to choose 1 from the 2 sub-classes of the base class? Now if 2.8M stretch goal being hit, there'll be 3? Or is it that there's 2 level of advancement for sub-classes? For example Wizard -> Warlock -> Archmage ?

There will be 3 subclasses for every class to choose from right at the beginning when you choose a base class or if you multiclass for the first time. There will be no advancement of a subclass. Which is good in my opinion.

Except priest and paladin, because their subclass is the deity and order and I think Obsidian mentioned that they want to at least include all choices from PoE 1. So these two classes will probably have more subclasses to choose from. 

• Like 1

Subclasses are selected at chargen like subrace, I'd imagine. You select the class (wizard), and the menu opens up a selection spot where you can select from the 3 subclasses or the regular old Wizard. It's like PrC in Baldur's Gate 2. You aren't a Bard, but a Blade. You don't turn from a Bard into a Blade.

Alright.. thanks for the clarification!. My take on this is.. if there are more choices to choose from upon class specialization.. *ahem* sub-class.. I hope it has a significant difference and also impact and not just minor ones.

Example
+1% damage/level and -1% accuracy and something like that.

If the above scenario is true, it means you need to be very high level for the class to show significance for the bonuses.