​I know, but you typically want everyone happy about a stretch goal. Vocal minorities in a crowdfunding campaign can cause issues, and could very well grow into something that isn't a minority. There are a lot of people looking for content stretch goals, and complain each time the new one is something like VO, AI scripting, etc. I used the term lukewarm for a reason. Some liked it, and some didn't. It was a very middling success for a stretch goal. I like Berath's Blessing myself, but to each their own.

​Still, there is only so much micro-management that can be done over perceptions. Once a stretch goal is achieved, it's onto new pastures. Plus most people don't let themselves get caught up by the gripes of others. Even the most vocal people against a stretch goal, tend to be people who have already backed or are going to back. They put their skin in the game, and now are grieved that they can't hype themselves over the back numbers rolling to the next goal. They have to wait for something that gets them salivating a bit more. Further, I think a lot of people are a bit hyperbolic in order to be heard and enact a change. You're right about how opinions can sometimes reach a critical mind-share, but I doubt it's going to do too much harm here.

​I know, but you typically want everyone happy about a stretch goal. Vocal minorities in a crowdfunding campaign can cause issues, and could very well grow into something that isn't a minority. There are a lot of people looking for content stretch goals, and complain each time the new one is something like VO, AI scripting, etc. I used the term lukewarm for a reason. Some liked it, and some didn't. It was a very middling success for a stretch goal. I like Berath's Blessing myself, but to each their own.

​Still, there is only so much micro-management that can be done over perceptions. Once a stretch goal is achieved, it's onto new pastures. Plus most people don't let themselves get caught up by the gripes of others. Even the most vocal people against a stretch goal, tend to be people who have already backed or are going to back. They put their skin in the game, and now are grieved that they can't hype themselves over the back numbers rolling to the next goal. They have to wait for something that gets them salivating a bit more. Further, I think a lot of people are a bit hyperbolic in order to be heard and enact a change. You're right about how opinions can sometimes reach a critical mind-share, but I doubt it's going to do too much harm here.

"Most" people might be a little strong.  People are easily convinced that something is bad based on the opinions of others.  Pier pressure is a thing.   If a large portion of the feedback, vocal minority or not, is negative then it could sway people who were neutral that way.  Happens all the time.  A lot of people are easily swayed by perceptions of popularity or the lack their of. 

Also, your use of "onto new pastures" is what I am saying.  Perhaps, Obsidian is trying to come up with ideas that will be seen in that very light.  A greener pasture.  It isn't that there are one or two stretch goals that have been met with grumbles and moans.  AI scripting, Watercolor Portraits, Berath's Blessing, and UI customization have all had their fair share of criticisms.  Some more than others, but that is every stretch goal since the new companion.   $800k worth of Stretch Goals to be precise. 

A delay like this either means they weren't ready to get to this amount of money so soon, or they are scrapping what they had and quickly getting something else in place.  I can't think of another reason they wouldn't get the update posted quickly.  However, I can easily miss that sort of stuff.  If they did scrap what they had then I can't think of very many reasons why unless they are looking at it the same way I am.  They are trying to generate as much funding as possible, and if the comments section (including those within the updates, the general comments on Fig, and these forums) are not excited then that can impact this campaign.  It can stop people from getting more add-ons, or from pledging altogether.   The more negativity surrounding the Stretch Goals the more it will swell.  If they drop a great Stretch Goal then it will let them go a few more with middling ones.   If they keep releasing goals like we have seen then it could slow down the march to the next goal and diminish with every goal after that. 

• Like 1

I'm starting to think we won't get a stretch goal update again today. It's been 24 hours since we crossed $2.4m, and still no $2.8m goal. I'm wondering if we are going faster than they were anticipating, and they are having to scramble a bit.

No it's the opposite. It's going too slow and hence there's not a need for an urgency to post a new one. With all the stretch goals being mediocre (my opinion of course), the only interesting ones are subclasses and xoti. Berath blessings and NPC portraits, those didn't really add anything interesting for me at all other than just fillers in trying to bloat the funding amount. Even they release 2.8M stretch goals, i doubt it be any interesting. They probably keeping the big ones for the funding near 4M i supposed.

Hmm, well. I do think Fulvano's Voyage is meant to get pledges rolling in. I suppose it's best if they can capitalize an a big push all at once. It can be expected that the middle of the campaign is going to be the duller part. But for the second twitch stream we saw a pretty significant push. It seems to come in waves around the start of each week.

I guess it depends on what your perception is. We know most of the game is playable and laid out in an alpha state. We know most of per-production was done on Obsidian's own dime. Plus all their work on the first game, including rendering and all sorts of pipelines, which serves as a base for Deadfire. Plus additional funding of their own going forward. The features of PoE1 are basically guaranteed albeit modified here and there. Only then do we enter the crowd funding component and stretch goals. Which, compared to PoE1, are going to be niceties not essentials. Even the PoE1 stretch goals weren't ground breaking in my opinion. Other than the second city and Endless paths, which really only came right at the end. We know they want to prevent feature creep. So far I'm personally enjoying the goals, but I understand others are not content.

​People keep talking about wanting better stretch goals. Obsidian really needs to do is start talking about the "big features" that are already in the game. That is if they want to quell people's complaints over the minor stretch goals. But if they did that, then people might feel content and not back. So it really is a balancing act. There is only so much they can do to please people who concern themselves with the stretch goals not being big enough.

​All of that said. I am looking for them to get into bigger stretch goals. Even if that means $400k increments instead of $200k.

• Like 2

This is from Feargus on Fig for the impatient ones on here: 

Next Stretch Goal should be announced tomorrow, or Friday at the latest. As for PayPal, sorry it became a busy week due to some other stuff going on, so Darren got sidetracked a bit. I think the goal is now Tuesday next week. I'll check in again tomorrow and see if we can update in our next update about it.

Feb 9, 2017 | 01:08 AM

Here hoping they keep the stretch goal nice and simple and not to crazy like some on here want. i am sure there are good stuff planned already for the game since it been in dev for a year. I just dont get why stretch goals are so important. The game and story and content is what is important not the stretch goals.

Edited by jnb0364

If we give them all the money, will they let us have a 6-member party?

​*ducks*

I'm not even sure if many of the backers aware of this reduction. It was not revealed anywhere in the figstarter other than the most recent PCG interview article and on a german tweet. They took this change fiercely and shoot down this question everytime it arises (in both twitch QnA session, tweets and comments). I'd guess the real reason behind it and it's not the simple reason that they have provided. Time will tell and all the folks here we shall see.

Edited by Archaven

​*ducks*

I'm not even sure if many of the backers aware of this reduction. It was not revealed anywhere in the figstarter other than the most recent PCG interview article and on a german tweet. They took this change fiercely and shoot down this question everytime it arises (in both twitch QnA session, tweets and comments). I'd guess the real reason behind it and it's not the simple reason that they have provided. Time will tell and all the folks here we shall see.

I didnt get that they shot down the question they seem to be answering the question multiple times in multiple formats. Maybe the answers arent satisfying but they are answering the question 

Hmm, well. I do think Fulvano's Voyage is meant to get pledges rolling in. I suppose it's best if they can capitalize an a big push all at once. It can be expected that the middle of the campaign is going to be the duller part. But for the second twitch stream we saw a pretty significant push. It seems to come in waves around the start of each week.

I guess it depends on what your perception is. We know most of the game is playable and laid out in an alpha state. We know most of per-production was done on Obsidian's own dime. Plus all their work on the first game, including rendering and all sorts of pipelines, which serves as a base for Deadfire. Plus additional funding of their own going forward. The features of PoE1 are basically guaranteed albeit modified here and there. Only then do we enter the crowd funding component and stretch goals. Which, compared to PoE1, are going to be niceties not essentials. Even the PoE1 stretch goals weren't ground breaking in my opinion. Other than the second city and Endless paths, which really only came right at the end. We know they want to prevent feature creep. So far I'm personally enjoying the goals, but I understand others are not content.

​People keep talking about wanting better stretch goals. Obsidian really needs to do is start talking about the "big features" that are already in the game. That is if they want to quell people's complaints over the minor stretch goals. But if they did that, then people might feel content and not back. So it really is a balancing act. There is only so much they can do to please people who concern themselves with the stretch goals not being big enough.

​All of that said. I am looking for them to get into bigger stretch goals. Even if that means $400k increments instead of $200k.

More companions, bigger city stretch goals, romance.. are the one i'm really expecting for.

​*ducks*

I didnt get that they shot down the question they seem to be answering the question multiple times in multiple formats. Maybe the answers arent satisfying but they are answering the question 

What i mean was they are final with their decision and simply no negotiations about it. "We'll stick with 5" regardless of whatever reason or no matter how you are trying to convince them. Even asking an unofficial unlocking of the 6th character from some files.. the answer is simply no.

I really don't feel they have shot down those questions.

As far as 5 party members? I think it's almost entirely because. Obsidian wants to focus on having fewer companions. With so few companions you end up choosing who not to have as opposed who to have in your party. It ruins the combinatorics of party building. But dropping to 5, they can tailor the gameplay to be just as good based on a 5 person party. But more importantly they can focus on crafting far deeper companions while maintaining a high degree of party combinatorics.  ... and you know... Tyranny worked with 4.

​At least that was how I first perceived it. I feel even more vindicated that is the reason based on what Josh has said in 2nd Q&A stream.

As far as 5 party members? I think it's almost entirely because. Obsidian wants to focus on having fewer companions. 

In a game that gives people an option for creating their own NPC party members for a variety of different parties?  I seriously doubt they would lower the party size because the amount of companions.

I'm starting to think we won't get a stretch goal update again today. It's been 24 hours since we crossed $2.4m, and still no $2.8m goal. I'm wondering if we are going faster than they were anticipating, and they are having to scramble a bit.

No it's the opposite. It's going too slow and hence there's not a need for an urgency to post a new one. With all the stretch goals being mediocre (my opinion of course), the only interesting ones are subclasses and xoti. Berath blessings and NPC portraits, those didn't really add anything interesting for me at all other than just fillers in trying to bloat the funding amount. Even they release 2.8M stretch goals, i doubt it be any interesting. They probably keeping the big ones for the funding near 4M i supposed.

This campaign is moving around the same speed (if not faster) than PoE 1 did.  They are averaging $50-$100k a day.  30 hours ago they were at $2.4m dollars even.  Now they sit at $2.475m.   In 30 hours they made $75k.  That isn't slow compared to most campaigns.  They still have around $800k coming from Investors that hasn't been added to that $2.475m.  If we round that up to $2.5m and add that $800k we end up with $3.3m.  That beats WL3 on fig, and it's only about $500k from Psychonauts (Which ended around $3.8m).  $3.3m, and they have just under 15 days to the end of the campaign.  I expect they will beat PoE1 in funding, but they may not.  PayPal usually rakes in an extra $200k or so in most Crowdfunding campaigns of this size.  There are a good many people that have PayPal but no credit card, or they don't use it for this sort of thing.  There are also a portion of people that don't like Fig.  I've seen and talked to my fair share of people that don't like Fig for a list of reasons.

I agree they are keeping the good stretch goals for the end because they will max out on the amount they are accepting from investors by then.  The end will be 100% carried by pledges, and they plan to make use of it. 

Feargus was coy about a late campaign companion stretch goal.  When asked "Can we get and 8th companion for a stretch goal?"  He responded with "Yes! But when?  :)"  Or something to that effect.    Close enough as to not matter.

Also, Josh said in an interview that there is a Stretch Goal for the Stronghold replacement.  I expect that will be a late campaign stretch, and it might be the final stretch too.  I think that stretch goal will be the "OMG WE HAS TO HAVE IT!"  stretch goal.  We will see. 

• Like 1

Unless I remember completely wrong they were surprised how fast they hit 1,1 million mark, but I'm sure they have had the stretch goals planned out for the whole campaign before hand.

They might have wanted to change something though, based on feedback and they might still be looking into localizations that they can add and it's taking them some time. There's at least the Brazilian/Portuguese, Japanese and Chinese fans still asking for localization into their languages.

• Like 1

Hate the living, love the dead.

When they are hitting stretch goals pretty much 2nd day, you can hardly call it progressing slowly.

Yes, they didn't add "anything" that interests you, but they added a bunch of costly localizations into most of these early stretch goals which are quite important to people from those locales. Not every stretch goal can be catered to everyone/you.

This campaign is moving around the same speed (if not faster) than PoE 1 did.  They are averaging $50-$100k a day.  30 hours ago they were at $2.4m dollars even.  Now they sit at $2.475m.   In 30 hours they made $75k.  That isn't slow compared to most campaigns.  They still have around $800k coming from Investors that hasn't been added to that $2.475m.  If we round that up to $2.5m and add that $800k we end up with $3.3m.  That beats WL3 on fig, and it's only about $500k from Psychonauts (Which ended around $3.8m).  $3.3m, and they have just under 15 days to the end of the campaign.  I expect they will beat PoE1 in funding, but they may not.  PayPal usually rakes in an extra $200k or so in most Crowdfunding campaigns of this size.  There are a good many people that have PayPal but no credit card, or they don't use it for this sort of thing.  There are also a portion of people that don't like Fig.  I've seen and talked to my fair share of people that don't like Fig for a list of reasons.

The campaign is most definitely not moving faster than PoE1 did!

Not surprising under the circumstances as what is pitched is rather less ambitious this time around, being essentially minor upgrades to a game that is already in development rather than a new game to break the year-long drought in the genre.

I would warn you about comparing the value of pledges (PoE1's kickstarter campaign) with the aggregate value of pledges and funds that fig estimates it will invest displayed as the total (PoE2's fig campaign) as a measure of how fast the campaign is moving based on backer involvement. (You can get the breakdown of the total by clicking on the small graph icon to the right of it.)

To date, roughly halfway through the month-long campaign, the PoE2 fig campaign has achieved 1.24m in pledges from 21.5k backers and we've had Fulvano's voyage announced.

Compare that with halfway through PoE1's kickstarter campaign, when it had reached around 2.0m in pledges from 50k backers (PoE update #13) and they'd just announced the Endless Paths of Odd Nua, and it is seem that the Fig campaign is proceeding at roughly half speed.

Which is hardly surprising given the more limited scope of this campaign.

When I said death before dishonour, I meant it alphabetically.

I agree they are keeping the good stretch goals for the end because they will max out on the amount they are accepting from investors by then.  The end will be 100% carried by pledges, and they plan to make use of it. 

Feargus was coy about a late campaign companion stretch goal.  When asked "Can we get and 8th companion for a stretch goal?"  He responded with "Yes! But when?  :)"  Or something to that effect.    Close enough as to not matter.

Also, Josh said in an interview that there is a Stretch Goal for the Stronghold replacement.  I expect that will be a late campaign stretch, and it might be the final stretch too.  I think that stretch goal will be the "OMG WE HAS TO HAVE IT!"  stretch goal.  We will see. 

They also learned a lesson from the 1st game. 2nd big city will take a lot away from the actual big city they've planned for the game. Defiance Bay felt kinda small due to this, at least if compared to Athkathla (or however you spell that).

Feargus has indeed clearly hinted that both Fenstermaker and 8th companion will be upcoming stretch goals. Same stretch goal even?

I believe Josh said that they all ready have the stronghold in the game, but they are looking to expand/enhance it via stretch goal. Or at least that's how I understood it.

If you have not noticed, previously the fig fund was 1.18M and now it's 1.22M. Which means 40K was released from the fig funds to spice things up in just over a day. They are slowly releasing the fig funds. Yes i definitely can't wait for content related stretch goals as those deemed more important to me "personally". 

Not surprising under the circumstances as what is pitched is rather less ambitious this time around, being essentially minor upgrades to a game that is already in development rather than a new game to break the year-long drought in the genre.

I would warn you about comparing the value of pledges (PoE1's kickstarter campaign) with the aggregate value of pledges and funds that fig estimates it will invest displayed as the total (PoE2's fig campaign) as a measure of how fast the campaign is moving based on backer involvement. (You can get the breakdown of the total by clicking on the small graph icon to the right of it.)

To date, roughly halfway through the month-long campaign, the PoE2 fig campaign has achieved 1.24m in pledges from 21.5k backers and we've had Fulvano's voyage announced.

Compare that with halfway through PoE1's kickstarter campaign, when it had reached around 2.0m in pledges from 50k backers (PoE update #13) and they'd just announced the Endless Paths of Odd Nua, and it is seem that the Fig campaign is proceeding at roughly half speed.

Sure, let's ignore half of what they've raised and you can make the claim that campaing #1 was faster around the midway of the campaign.

• Like 5

Sure, let's ignore half of what they've raised and you can make the claim that campaing #1 was faster around the midway of the campaign.

Mmmm, perhaps I misunderstood the context.

I thought we were discussion the pledging campaign, stretch goals, and things done to attract more pledges, not investment which is a separate source of funding the inclusion of which distorts the view of how the pledging campaign is progressing and how it attracts new people.

Not so?

Edited by pi2repsion

When I said death before dishonour, I meant it alphabetically.

No, I am including investment.  In fact I think investment is the ONLY reason they will get to the same numbers as last time.  IIRC, they only had 28 days for funding.  We current have just over 14 days left.  We are dead center of the campaign, and at $2.476m.  Then there is the remaining $800k (just below that number now) of investments that haven't been attributed to the total because we have hit the $2m cap for investments already.  So, technically the campaign is at around $3.25m or so right now, but we aren't seeing those investments that havent been updated/approved.  Which leaves 14 days to make up the remainder to hit $4m like PoE1 did.  14 days to get some $700k+.   Anyone that has contributed to Crowdfunding knows that the first two days and the last 2 days are the big ones.  I can't see how we will miss beating PoE1 with 14 days left. It may not hit those numbers though.  I'm admittedly being optimistic, but it's going to be close.

We will likely see a jump when PayPal kicks in too given as many times as I have seen people ask about it on these forums and on Fig's comment section.  There are probably more waiting on PayPal than have asked.  The last time I believe that PayPal was around 200-300k?  Even at half those numbers we will still be looking good. 

Edited by Ganrich

Best way to get more people backing is show gameplay, talk about/show in detail base game features etc. I don't know why they are holding all this back since the game is already in alpha state (as Adam mentioned in last Q&A).

Yeah, I agree. I don't see why they don't talk more about the details. List the afflictions and inspirations, and give a rough idea of what they do. Give us some more subclasses to talk about. Show gameplay (just a single combat encounter would do). Tell us about how classes have been changed. Show us some examples of spells/abilities and how they scale. Do they just get more powerful, or do somethings get added effects like CC and the like. Everything has been kind of vague.

• Like 2