Politics 2017

Wrath of Dagon

I'm pretty sure all (6 of) these places (in the link) did vote blue even if turnout may have been down

I didn't vote Clinton either even though I assumed she'd win. Now if my vote was the deciding one a la Swing Vote would I have voted for her? tumblr_ofhjt1KOkd1uzae1ko1_500.gif

Edited by ShadySands

Free games updated 3/4/21

have seen estimates o' upwards o' 2.2 to 2.5 million for protests today.  protests in philly and pittsburgh and ann arbor and madison.

*shrug*

can't help but wonder if a bit more activism a few months ago mighta' made a difference. that being said, it is very american to complain after the fact. we complain in spite o' the fact it were our own initial indifference causing  the problem.

'course is not actual an american thing so much as a human failing.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Meh. Find a woman that's not a scumbag. :p

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

am thinking the scumbag % for women is same as men.  even so

hqdefault.jpg

what do we win?

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Trump should just be happy that he won when no one expected him to. Worrying about the size of the crowds is silly, neither does a tiny percentage of the population protesting affect the validity of the election in any way.

Edit: Although what Trump is apparently complaining about is that the media made his crowds look smaller than they actually were.

Edited by Wrath of Dagon
  • Like 1

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

hqdefault.jpg

what do we win?

HA! Good Fun!

Well, the comment was about Trump, nothing to do with women in general

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

trump's popularity is significant.  am repeating self, but Presidential power as granted by the Constitution is limited, particularly when referencing domestic policy. appointment power is both under and overvalued.  in reality, a President's greatest powers is not granted by the Constitution. shape the national agenda. influence Congressional action.  as the President's popularity waxes and wanes, so too does his power to alter the national agenda and to sway the legislature.  widespread protests and underwhelming inauguration turnouts is reinforcing the fact o' trumps historical low popularity for an incoming President.

http://www.npr.org/2017/01/17/510256862/trump-polls-tweet-favorability-popular

trump needs to be popular, which is why he is trying so hard to convince folks that he is popular in spite o' polls and photographs o' small inauguration crowds and widespread protests in cities 'cross america. trump, possible more than any other President, is aware o' the importance o' perception o' popularity and power. 

the protests and polls won't change the election results.  the protests and polls is being watched close by Congress, and that matters much.

HA! Good Fun!

a good number o' republicans got elected in 2016 in spite o' the fact they public distanced themselves from trump.  almost unheard of to have so many republicans up for election who were public rejecting or ambivalent regarding the party candidate for President. republicans don't need trump now more than they did in november when he lost the popular vote but republicans managed to win Congress.  unlike the President, there were no electoral college for Congressman.

now, as always, Congress will be fickle.  whichever way the wind is blowing is how Congress will lean.  and truth to tell, if the past decade is any indicator, Congress will do as little as necessary regardless. trump needs Congress and Congress will only back trump just so long as doing so improves their individual chances for reelection.  trump needs to be popular and he needs to be popular fast, 'cause first 100 days is invariably the most important... baring a war or national catastrophe or somesuch.

HA! Good Fun!

(image)

am doubting trump improved his relationship with the intelligence community by using the memorial wall as a backdrop for his dog and pony show.

HA! Good Fun!

C2p5vOJWgAAYQO0.jpg

I'm so happy. Between this and the press secretary saying it was the biggest crowd at an inaugaration ever... this is going to be a hilarious partial term. :D

Although credit where credit is due - he didn't repeal ACA, just removed punishment for not having insurance, and he withdrew from the TTP as promised. I guess Sturgeon's Law applies to stuff Trump does too.

And for the semi-politics related..

128679.jpg

Ian McKellen and his placard on the Women's March in London.

• Like 4

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

C2p5vOJWgAAYQO0.jpg

I'm so happy. Between this and the press secretary saying it was the biggest crowd at an inaugaration ever... this is going to be a hilarious partial term. :D

Although credit where credit is due - he didn't repeal ACA, just removed punishment for not having insurance, and he withdrew from the TTP as promised. I guess Sturgeon's Law applies to stuff Trump does too.

I was all the with you when you complained about Brietbart.

But then you had to bring up the echo-chambers of reddit as a reliable news source...

hqdefault.jpg

what do we win?

HA! Good Fun!

She's a good person? Since when?

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

"(and some of them I thought were even valid) of Obama throughout his two terms and I hardly think he let that get to him."

Kidding right? The guy attacked Fox News non stop and repeatedly. Trashed them BIGLY because they were the ONLY network who dared to criticize him in any meaningful way. He has a lot in common with Trump in that way.

," just removed punishment for not having insurance"

Which is good.

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

C2p5vOJWgAAYQO0.jpg

Interesting how stuff that have a much greater impact is brushed to the side (ACA and TPP).

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Also, we should all be happy that, once again, the media and the political power are being at odds with each other, as it should be.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

C2p5vOJWgAAYQO0.jpg

3rd one is Fake News. Only the politically appointed ambassadors were fired- which isn't unprecedented indeed it's usual to replace them- their temporary replacements are the career diplomat deputy ambassadors who do most of the actual work anyway. Where the ambassador was already a career diplomat they weren't fired, eg the Ambassador to Khazakstan is the US representative at the Syrian peace conference at Astana. In terms of actual diplomacy it's probably better to have the career diplomats rather than political appointees whose main asset and reason for their appointment tends to be being donors to the winner.

And if there's one place you shouldn't get political news it's reddit's r/politics as it has been taken over by Correct The Record.

And for the semi-politics related..

128679.jpg

Ian McKellen and his placard on the Women's March in London.

I actually thought that was Ron Paul for a second.

• Like 1

Ron Paul is just a character Ian McKellen has been playing for several decades.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands