Politics 2017

Wrath of Dagon

It just got 10 points higher.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

(Seriously, is that kind of thing something people actually wear?)

Not us plebs, no.

Here's something slightly more akin to what regular people would wear:

tumblr_inline_o97x4oIJEj1u3v2xc_1280.jpg

As an aside, I wish this was a gif so that I could see her walk across the cobblestones in those stilletos.

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

So we are outta the TTP AND there's no penalty for not doing Obamacare? ****, 3 days in and that's mainly what all I wanted done. Ummm now what lol, I guess I can sit back and enjoy the show on how he acts and how the media will react.

Will the no penalty be retroactive for 2016?

Edited by redneckdevil
  • Like 1

I think someone's in love.

I'm not sure the penalty has actually been removed. It would have to be authorized in the law for the HHS secretary to remove it, and I'm guessing there would have to be a finding from DOJ to that effect. Unless Trump is just going to flaunt the law the way Obama had. Which would be sad.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

I'm a bit behind, but I have one thing to say about the crowd for the inauguration - Who the heck cares how many people attended? Who cares if it was the largest crowd or the smallest crowd? It means absolutely nothing. It's a fluff story. The media is dumb for running with these stories, but it is even more unforgivable that the White House is wasting time addressing this stuff. Go govern! Stop talking about stupid stories that have nothing to do with the future of our country. Take the high road! 

• Like 2

I'm a bit behind, but I have one thing to say about the crowd for the inauguration - Who the heck cares how many people attended? Who cares if it was the largest crowd or the smallest crowd? It means absolutely nothing. It's a fluff story. The media is dumb for running with these stories, but it is even more unforgivable that the White House is wasting time addressing this stuff. Go govern! Stop talking about stupid stories that have nothing to do with the future of our country. Take the high road! 

in and of itself, crowd size matters little. however, the relative popularity of the President is gonna be pivotal in determining how much o' trump's domestic agenda is realized.  most o' the stuff trump wants to accomplish requires Congressional action. the legislative branch is notorious somnolent and it takes a popular President to rouse 'em from their collective torpor. 

http://www.npr.org/2017/01/17/510256862/trump-polls-tweet-favorability-popular

sure, trump and a republican Congress will frequent align on issues.  nevertheless, trump needs to be able to lead the national debate on any number o' issues if he wishes to be anything other than a lame duck executive. first 100 days is most important for an executive during peacetime and it usual is a honeymoon period.  trump is the least popular incoming executive in recent memory.

crowd size is indeed a silly issue, save for the fact trump needs to be seen as popular and vital.  am not surprised to see trump working hard to bolster his brand.  his methods need serious work, but his fixation with his own image is actual quite reasonable given his current predicament.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Take the high road!

Really, man, it's too late for that.
  • Like 3

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Trump knows that every day the media will try to portray him in the worst possible light, and he needs to push back on that. So that's what they're pushing back on, the media portrayal, not the crowd size itself.

Edit: Btw, if you pan all the way back on the gigapixel, it does show that the crowd went all the way to the Washington Monument. So Trump told the truth and NYT once again lied.

http://www.cnn.com/interactive/2017/01/politics/trump-inauguration-gigapixel/

https://twitter.com/brithume/status/822975532656685061

Edited by Wrath of Dagon

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

Hm. 45 mins from before the speech, NYT said. Not sure why Obama having more would be shocking. It upsetting Trump isn't though.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/01/20/us/politics/trump-inauguration-crowd.html?_r=0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdantUf5tXg

Also neat. Heck of a boiler on the left there.

Edited by Malcador
  • Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Gotta say though, the whole Kellyanne Conway 'Alternative facts', is the strongest North Korean vibe I've ever gotten from a western news media. And Spicers "These attempts to lessen the enthusiasm of the inauguration are shameful and wrong" .. Sounds like something out of a Soviet era news reel.

When pressed on the issue, which makes sense, since you know- media kinda have to press you on the facts, Conway just flat out threatened the press "If we're going to keep referring to the press secretary in those types of terms I think we're going to have to rethink our relationship here," .. Which seems extraordinarily petty for a White House representative.

I was willing to give Trump the benefit of the doubt.. But having his press corp blatantly lie, so early, in this fashion, over something so trivial, makes me a nervous about how he's going to handle the really embarrassing things, which any administration goes through.

Fortune favors the bald.

It's nice to finally be able to describe current events as Orwellian without being hyperbolic. So nice.

• Like 2

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

It's nice to finally be able to describe current events as Orwellian without being hyperbolic. So nice.

Finally? NSA stuff was there way before Trump, that is what I call Orwellian

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Why are you guys mad at the press and the political power hating each other? It's as it should be.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Why are you guys mad at the press and the political power hating each other? It's as it should be.

Par for the course - but the way they're going about it is worrying.

My hope is that this will bring back true investigative journalism, ever since the early 00s the press has acted as neutered lapdogs for their particular political bloc. With everyone kinda hating the current administration, this might bring back the bulldogs.

The government should fear the press, not threaten it with sanctions.. and the press should fear loosing integrity, not gobble whichever treat indiscriminately, they are handed by spin-doctors and the governments press corp.

Fortune favors the bald.

Hm. 45 mins from before the speech, NYT said. Not sure why Obama having more would be shocking. It upsetting Trump isn't though.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/01/20/us/politics/trump-inauguration-crowd.html?_r=0

Also neat. Heck of a boiler on the left there.

by now we has all seen the comparative transit authority figures, the nielsen ratings and aerial video/photographs o' the trump inauguration day.  leading up to the event, trump made numerous false claims 'bout dress shops being sold out and hotels being unavailable. ain't the least bit surprising the media actual followed up on the President-fabulist's claims.  even so, we still got folks who believe trump's narrative. 

*shrug*

is baffling to us, but the need to believe the conspiracy theory is strong with many. the tinfoil hat brigade grows daily. this thread, while hardly representative o', well, anything actually, nevertheless has at least a couple o' dedicated stormtrumpers who is gonna obediently march lockstep regardless o' how ridiculous or unbelievable is the claims o' the new executive.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

So you don't think the press lied by using for comparison a picture taken before the crowd filled in?

you didn't watch the video, did you? you can see inauguration crowd from start to finish.  and again, nielsen ratings, and transit numbers also reinforced what were evident in the aerial images. 

gotta work hard to believe those alternative facts.  come up with conspiracy theories.  choose to believe photos from limited angles. ignore transit and nielsen and hotel and dress shop feedback. is what we were talking 'bout 'bove with people wanting to believe the outliers.  either a dozen major media outlets, the dc transit authority and the nielsen folks is all in on the fix, Or...

why work so hard? 

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 4