Origin Of Your Name And Avatar

Mr. Teatime

aw, come one folks- don't argue over who invented what at which time...

it's called RE-search after all. stuff gets invented- forgotten- reinvented - misplaced- found - exported - changed - etc etc.

btw, there were europeans before gutenberg who used the press as well- he's just the one who found the "killer application"

It's very hard to be polite if you're a cat.

Hey, I admitted I was wrong. I was always told that Henry Ford invented the first automobile. He didn't even invent the first production automobile.

He invented the second production automobile, though it was the first to really hit the market.

• 2 weeks later...

I started using my nickname back in 8th grade to show-off that my mom works at Wal-Mart and my appreciation for everything she has done for us.

I have also sometimes used "Smartly Birches", because it's my favorite anagram of my real name.

As for the avatar, it's supposed to be a penguin, because penguins kick a**!

• 9 years later...

...jus' cuz I havna bumped an ol' thread in awhile, an' there be alot o' new peoples 'ere since '04, have at 'er, kiddies... :biggrin:

...WHO LUVS YA, BABY!!...

A long, long time ago, but I can still remember,
How the Trolling used to make me smile.
And I knew if I had my chance, I could egg on a few Trolls to "dance",
And maybe we'd be happy for a while.
But then Krackhead left and so did Klown;
Volo and Turnip were banned, Mystake got run out o' town.
Bad news on the Front Page,
BIOweenia said goodbye in a heated rage.
I can't remember if I cried
When I heard that TORN was recently fried,
But sadness touched me deep inside,
The day...Black Isle died.

For tarna, Visc, an' the rest o' the ol' Islanders that fell along the way

Lets see, the name I would have liked to use would have been censored, so I just used the name of one of my favorite fictional characters.

I used this avie because my old one stopped appearing properly and because I truly do not give a ****. I also like Spider-Man.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

My name unfortunately does not come from the Sword of Truth weapon used by the Mord-Sith. A friend of mine had a sweatshirt he bought from a show that had the names of bands signed on to Unique Leader Records, and one of the bands was named "Agiel," which I though sounded cool, so I began using it as my tag.

As for my avatar, it is the emblem of the VF-31 "Tomcatters" Carrier Fighter Wing. I liked the look of the emblem when I first saw it in my early teens, and appropriated it as the emblem of my Catachan Imperial Guard army for 40K. I alternate between that and the emblem of the 422nd TES (Test and Evaluation Squadron)

250px-422dtes-emblem.jpg

“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

I adopted this name about 6 years ago after I read the Bartimaeus trilogy, (now the Bartimaeus Sequence, since another book was added). Still love the books, but...I mostly use the name nowadays because all the people I know know me by it, and it's too much of a hassle to change. Alternatively, BartyMae, which was semi-silly derivative on Bartimaeus a friend made up on the spot for me that I started to use because it was completely unique and I didn't mind it.

Avatar: a friend made it at my request...though, admittedly, they would've made it eventually anyways, as it was part of an awesome project they were doing at the time called Banjo-Cutie, which was basically to take all the characters of the games Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie, (and maybe Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts...it's been a while), and render them in their "cutie" artstyle. :p Nowadays, they're making an awesome (PG!) webcomic called "The Fourth"...

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

This is a hilarious thread.  I swear I did one of these years ago, but this particular one was before my time.

Hurlshot was a name I came up with playing Wing Commander and looking for a cal sign.  I wanted something to do with hockey, but Slapshot was a movie, Snapshot sounded lame and wristshot sounded worse.  Somehow I came up with Hurlshot.  A few weeks later Wayne's World came out and made me realize that hurl was less about moving with force and more about vomiting.  I decided to stay committed to it.

My avatar is Brenden Shanahan, the greatest power forward to ever play the game of hockey.  Someone was nice enough to turn it into an AP avatar for me. 

• Like 1

I could have sworn we had one of those threads many years ago???

Anyway, 'Gorth' is about 30 years old as a nickname. It was originally a name picked at semi-random from the appendix of a Lords of the Rings book (don't remember which one anymore, it had a name index and glossary at the back). It was originally 'Gorthaur', but then one of my friends asked "How do you pronounce that?" and I had no clue (the idea being about 30 minutes old at the time). With usual pragmatism, I just decided to chop off a lot of syllables until the name became pronouncable :)

I had originally put aside a greek helmet for an avatar when creating this account. That was until I saw the member number the forum had assigned me, so I decided to go looking for something slightly more sinister looking. Found this skull gif somewhere and resized it in in one of those Adobe products that could work with animated gifs (converting it to a sequence of still images, batch resizing and re-combine to a new animation).

I've stuck with the image since.

• Like 2

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

It is such a trip reading back through this thread. a lot of names I haven't seen in years. I used to post as RedRanger on BIS but I wasn't really into it or around much. Anyway after NWN came out I moved over to the Bioware boards and there was a thread that resurrected all the drama of putting the names of Forum Members in the game. So I figured I'd pick an inconsequential NPC and make than my board name. There was a Guard Dog outside the Shining Knight store in the NWN city core that never did much but bark at everyone that walked by so.... I thought it was appropriate! :lol:

The avatar came from Grangier's web site. They sell that sign.

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Old high school nickname.

Used this avatar for nine years now. No point in changing it now. It's the old logo of the Nippon Ham Fighters.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Huh, I don't remember replying to this thread, but then it was nine-and-a-half years ago. Apparently I was using the green monochrome bearded retro from Privateer as an avatar back then, which I wouldn't have had for a long time at all. I'm not sure why it was even used it the first place - did the initial iteration of this board software disallow animated GIFs? The Ultima 8 Avatar is blatantly stolen (then cropped) from DOUG the Eagle's Ultima 8 anti-walkthrough. I've used it since the initial migration from the Black Isle boards (where we common rabble could not choose custom avatars) to the Interplay one (where it was a free-for-all).

I didn't really post on these forums for several years - I'd have averaged about one post per year throughout the remainder of the noughties. The early part of that at the Lair and the balance spent maintaining my own forums, which was notionally for the WoW guild I co-ran but really was just a random off-topic board. When I came back here, I saw that everyone who was someone had their avatars modified with the Alpha Protocol tag (to this day I still have no idea why that was a thing), so as an obedient sheeple, I had to do the same. The colour compression is quite a bit off compared to the 'genuine' ones because I had no idea how to use the GIMP (and still don't) - this is the first and only image I've manipulated with it. Used to use JASC Animation Shop before Corel bought them out.

Edited by Humanoid

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Great thread! :)

Well, the avatar goes without saying. I used it during the KS for PE, and as a nod to my past. I was a very active forumite and modder over at the NWN2 forums which Bioware hosted, and I happen to love MotB and Chris Avellone's Kaelyn the Dove.

And, to quote my profile text:

"Indira Lightfoot" is an old favourite player character of mine, rolled up under the 1st ed D&D rules. From then on, I've reused that name in most CRPGs for a plethora of characters.

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nepenthe I'm named after the precursor to Prozac. It's the drug to promote forgetfulness, drinking to forget part, and that habit's commonplaceness in the legal profession.

Source claimed current avatar is Cairo, the Malinois who participated in the Bin Laden raid, but obviously is suspect. Liked the concept enough to use it, even if I'm on the prowl for a new one.

Edited by Nepenthe

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

At Black Isle boards I used to be kirottu uneksija, which means cursed dreamer, but it started to feel too pretentious, long, and people kept misspelling it. Now a days kirottu has started to feel the same, but I'm just too used to it.

Avatar is kamineko from Azumanga Daioh. 

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

My name is a reference to the alignment system in D&D which I picked because at the time I was a project manager and spent most of my time mediating. I don't use this nickname much anymore, everywhere else I'm known as "Funderbunk" which is a child's mispronounciation of "Thunderpunk" which was a possible nickname I was kicking around that said child overheard me saying and repeated.

My Avatar is my personal mascotte. I made it.

I like to take pictures. At one time I wrote about it on the Net a quite a lot. One of my idiosyncrasies is -- and has long been -- that I prefer using prime (fixed focal-length) lenses over zoom lenses, for a variety of reasons that make sense to me. For some reason, many people took this to mean that I think everyone should prefer prime lenses and zoom lenses are no good for any purpose. Eventually I kinda gave up and made up a Prime Junta which enforces orthodoxy in the correct choice of photographic equipment. So that's me.

The avatar is from Scandinavia and the World, because I am from Finland and I liked the look.

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

Yeats. I like the poem and I'm terrible at inventing nicks.

I drew and animated the avatar for the nickname, obviously showing the Drowsy Emperor moving the moon while asleep. 

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.