What You Did Today

Gorth

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone in the US. Happy Thursday to the rest of you fine folks.

Thanks GD :)

What type of food you eating and where you celebrating this year? 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I was going to go the the VFW but I've got a light case of the flu. The only thing that sounds good to me today is watching football on the couch. I have a surprise for Tommy & Sunny though. I'm chopping up scrambled eggs & grilled chicken chunks in their breakfast in a bit. 

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Yeah Happy Thanksgiving to all our American forum friends  :dancing:  :dancing:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Your just jealous you don't get such great amounts of food

• Like 1

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Your just jealous you don't get such great amounts of food

It is true I do love any event or special day where there is loads of food  o:)

John Milton 

This week, I've gone straight from work to my bed, every day of the week. I'm just feeling generally tired for some reason. I also forgot to turn on the alarm so I almost overslept in the morning. I hate fall/winter. I'm still lucky, compared to some of you guys, hurting backs, burned hands and falls from bicycles.

This week, I've gone straight from work to my bed, every day of the week. I'm just feeling generally tired for some reason. I also forgot to turn on the alarm so I almost overslept in the morning. I hate fall/winter. I'm still lucky, compared to some of you guys, hurting backs, burned hands and falls from bicycles.

The one thing I can't complain about is the darkness, atleast I'm not sweating. Still wearing T-shirt and shorts to work. ^^

• Like 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

The one thing I can't complain about is the darkness, atleast I'm not sweating. Still wearing T-shirt and shorts to work. ^^

What?? It's freaking cold over here. I'd die with only t-shirt and shorts. I'm out a lot and walk a lot without my jacket, but it's chilly. A few days ago, we had decent weather, but today was cold and tomorrow is supposed to be colder. My dry skin doesn't make things better.

I do have problems with dry skin aswell, I get sort of dry rash on my knuckles. But yeah, T-shirt and shorts.  It's still above freezing! I'll admit I'm spurred a bit by all the weird looks the somalis at my workplace give me! ^^

You must live further north than I though, it was 9+ when I went to work and 2+ when I went home.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Busy day sadly. Always some **** going wrong when I say to myself "Today will be a good day"

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I thought i had created an awesome song when jamming on the guitar. But when i was about to start to record it, i quickly realized that it was just the song below in a different beat.

Ooops.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I went to Bronwynn's sisters place tonight for a barbeque\braai tonight

I use to work with her sisters husband so we all get on very well, they doing another fun run tomorrow morning so it wasn't a late night 

• Like 1

John Milton 

Still sick as a dog but starting to feel a little better. The Grizzlies are playing the Heat in a little but plus watching Florida vs Florida State in NCAA football. I'd say my night is packed. 

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Hope you get better soon GD. :)

I'm going from 50% sick leave to 100% again after working last week. Doing nothing but heavy manual labour isn't exactly doing my back any good, either it's pushing or pulling, or it's lifting from the floor. Even when I lift the right way I get pulses of pain, and there is always alot of twisting and turning wich exacerbates the pain.

Thank you Gents. Today is day 5 so I'm almost out of it.

I met with a State Rep today who just happens to be my State Rep. Nice fellow I guess. He was looking for information on levee reinforcements. My conversation with him today only reinforced my closely held belief that the government that holds the most power over the people should be the one closest to the people. 

• Like 2

Thomas Sowell

I remember about 13 years ago my class met Mona Salin, a Swedish politician and then minister of environmental affairs, at my school. She was there to rally young voters and get us to vote in the coming elevtion.

She held a speech to us, and then we were allowed to ask questions to her, and I've never had so little information being dispensed in an auditorium.

She did'nt manage to answer any of the questions that we asked her, granted we'd had one day to prepare ourselves, but I think that she should've been able to answer us in some shape or form, why Sweden was exporting nuclear power and importing coal power.

A thoroughly unimpressive person.

I think she lost any prospective voter in that room, and the next election was won by their main rivals.

Also, on a completely unrelated note; I managed to braid my beard. \o/

Edited by Azdeus
  • Like 1

I've got this interesting routine that has been happening lately.  My wife has a close friend who has been going through a divorce.  Every Friday night this friend wants to go out.  Friday is chosen because that is apparently the one night she can get her ex to watch the kids.  She wants to go out and meet men, and my wife has become the designated wingman.  These nights typically consist of her friend drinking too much, complaining about her ex, and complaining about the dating scene as a 40 year old woman with kids.  

I could go out on these excursions, but:

1. It sounds terrible

2. I'm tired

3. childcare is a hassle to arrange

So I stay home and take care of the kids and get them off to bed.  Then I usually fall asleep for awhile.  My wife comes home late with a couple drinks in her and an immense appreciation for me as a husband.  As you can imagine, this works out well for me.  I hate to sound like I'm taking advantage of the situation...actually that's a lie.  This is great.   :grin:

• Like 7

Divorce sucks. It's the worst thing you can go through. Unless of course all the assets in the marriage were yours before getting married. Then... well it still sucks but it's a lot easier on you.

Thomas Sowell

Doesn't that depend on the state you reside in?

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Divorce sucks. It's the worst thing you can go through. Unless of course all the assets in the marriage were yours before getting married. Then... well it still sucks but it's a lot easier on you.

dunno.  am imagining that being on fire is worse than divorce.  choose

a) being set ablaze

or

b) discover your spouse wants a divorce

had a doctor friend o' ours once explain to us that burning isn't the worst way to die as such folks invariably go into shock rather quick, but am not certain we believe her.  regardless, we didn't suggest death in option (a).  cook for a fair bit w/o death strikes us as worse than divorce.  

am also gonna posit having a nightmare child is worse than divorce.  we has met parents who got genuine monsters for kids. is hard for us to comprehend the pain o' a loving parent who nevertheless must care for and raise a monster.  

having to watch most woody allen films?  clear am missing woody allen "genius" 'cause his films is kinda the mental equivalent o' chewing aluminum foil for ninety minutes to two hours.  arguable worse than divorce.

'course we ain't never been divorced, so...

we has drowned.  had to be resuscitated and everything.  trapped under ice o' a frozen lake and drowned.  not a fond memory.  

*shrug*

just giving you a hard time.  even as an outside observer, Gromnir is recognizing how bad divorce can be... particularly if kids is involved and custody issues is contentious. is precisely why we would Never do family law.

HA! Good Fun!

ps but yeah, having an evil kid still has gotta be worse than divorce.  *shudder*

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)