What You Did Today

Gorth

I think there is no 'default setting' for human beings, just what they get out of their environment. Parenting, whether good or bad, can influence that, but I would also say it is not the one and only factor.

Anyhow, I'll be interviewing the members of Cloud 9's LoL teams (both LCS and CS divisions) tomorrow, so I'm currently gathering and setting up all of my gear. Turns out the wireless microphone I rented yesterday is causing some noise so I need to sort that out.

Edited by algroth

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

I disagree. Evil is the default setting. Good kids are the result of parenting.

Hehe, think of it like this. Children are a shiny new SSD just waiting to be imprinted with the data their master provides them. Monkey see, monkey do. They are a direct result of their input. The creation of "participation trophies" isn't helping anything either. :lol:

The worst part about the evil kid is probably the feeling you have done something to get them to that place.

Barring mental issues, evil kids are the direct result of parenting. Imo.

our time working in a juvenile detention facility convinced us otherwise. yeah, most o' the evil kids had terrible parents.  and a fair number o' the broken kids were also nuttier than a fruitcake.  even so, we met more than a few bad kids in the hall, and we had a chance to meet their parents and lawyers and psychiatrists.  

before working at juvenile hall, we believed as did gifted-- bad kids is the result o' crazy or bad parenting.  experience taught us there is  actual bad kids.  yeah, previous to a certain age a child's brain hasn't developed the connections to makes good v. bad a fair question.  tn is at least partial correct.  young kids ain't capable o' being good as they can't genuine understand the concept... regardless o' parents tendency to be projecting qualities onto their issue.  as such, early childhood development and kiddie psychology is kinda scary when viewed objective.  even so, when we speak o' monsters, am not talking 'bout the broken kids or the young kids who cannot distinguish right from wrong. there is fundamental flawed kids, and those children can come from homes with loving parents who is diligent and conscientious 'bout raising their kids. sure, it ain't common or ordinary, but it does happen.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

There are good kids? :blink:

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Well, I can't relate I'm afraid. I've never had kids. Unless dogs count. I treat them like kids. But there are no evil dogs. A puppy is a blank sheet of paper. They will become exactly what you make them. If you don't write on that paper they will because a regular default dog that acts on the drives and motivations of dogs.

To tell the truth my first wife and I tried to have children for years. It just didn't happen which turned out to be a mercy for us and the kids. When we split up she hated me with a passion. And I suppose the reverse was true as well. We wronged each other in the worst way anyone can: we did not live up to the other's expectations. We each knew who the other was but there was such an attraction and physical chemistry we got married anyway. We were already having trouble before falling on some really hard times back in the 90's. It was bad enough to break most strong marriages, our weak one never stood a chance. The divorce was an ugly business and left me financially ruined. I had already lost my business, my foray into politics was an utter failure, and now my wife was leaving. I wanted to keep the house because we had 15 dogs at the time. I couldn't re-home them. That would have killed me. So I agreed to take all of the marital debt and turn over all the assets except the home. But she kept a 50% ownership interest when I sold it. She never liked that place anyway. She liked our first house. A townhouse in Coral Springs. It was close to the beach, close to shopping. The house was out in unincorporated Palm Beach County, far away from everything which is how I like it. And it was small. Just 1100 sq'. We were like two scorpions in a jar. Locked in a death struggle... but only because we were in a jar together. But to tell the truth I didn't take the divorce well. Not at all. It took me a while to get past it. My ex is remarried now. We last spoke about five years ago before she got married. It was a pleasant conversation. I think once we were out of the jar we were able to put the nastiness behind us.

I'm separated from my second wife now. But that is a whole different circumstance. She lied to me about something very important right from the start. And then kept lying about it even after I found out the truth. She has reached out to me many times about reconciliation and we've spoken on several occasions. Uncharacteristically, I'm finding I'm having trouble making a decision on this. But I also know this state of limbo can't last.

Marriage is a really big thing. You are tuning over a very important part of yourself to someone else whose motives and mind you really cannot know. Humans are selfish and duplicitous creatures. If you are married and you have a strong marriage then treasure it always and do whatever you need to do to keep it so. Because is is more valuable than you know are rarer than you would believe. 

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Having been divorced myself I'm of the mind that divorce is always a good thing simply because happy couples and people with a good marriage don't get divorced. Simplistic I know but I'm pretty simple

And I tend to go for crazies

That said, sorry to hear that GD and I hope it all works out for the best for you

Free games updated 3/4/21

Oh I appreciate the thoughts gents, but don't worry about me. One is ancient history and the other I was always guarded. You reach a point in life where you, not so much as expect bad things as prepare yourself for them. Then when they happen you are not as wounded and when they don't it's just gravy. Besides, this happened months ago. We agreed not to speak to each other for six months as a cooling off period. That ended last month and we've been in touch again.

The only point I was trying to make is that a good marriage is a treasure. In some ways I'm envious of guys like Hurlshot, Shady. and Gfted and others. I certainly have a measure of freedom they don't and I do value that. And I really don't get lonely. I don't know why but I just don't. It's the fun times I miss though. Laughing about nothing, going places I just don't go alone, that kind of thing. But if I want to pack up the dogs and go fishing for a week in Arkansas I can do that without having to consider anyone else's opinion on the matter and that is nice too.

Edited by Guard Dog
  • Like 3

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Realized I need a better cover story for days off, told coworker that I just took the dogs to the vet and cleaned on my day off and he was laughing about how boring my vacations are spent. Today though was fun, got to rake the leaves. Not sure why I enjoy doing that and shoveling snow, I guess I am pre-destined to be a janitor :lol:

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

My family started playing the "gift-game" as they call it. Roll a dice to see what gift you get, they're really into it, I hate it with every single fiber in my body. They might aswell skip it if they can't be bothered to think of a gift for someone. So this year, I decided to mess with them. I bought a nipplepump with built-in vibrator. I'm pretty pleased with myself. ^^

Pleasure for anyone, of any age!

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Operation Giftdrop is off to a rocky start. I can't find anything that I think my wife will love.

is kinda on the cheap end, and is maybe too small, but looks ez to clean.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00NQ7QFGM?ref=emc_b_5_t

'cause all women love getting kitchen appliances and deep-fried food.

maybe this is why Gromnir is still single. 

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Thank baby jebus but I have my wife conditioned to provide me a xmas list of stuff she wants. I'm really terrible about coming up with spontaneous gifts. :blush: Running counter to my usual MO of waiting until the last second, I've actually already procured two of her gifts.

How many people will be at the Xmas party you going to this year?

Weren't there 40 or so last year ....its your wife's family right ?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

We actually attend a couple different family parties. The "immediate family party" is only around 16 people, its the "cousins party" where things get cray cray.

In other news, I have been advised that today is the day that I will be schlepping the Christmas tree and boxes of associated accoutrements down from the overhead garage storage and setting it up. "C'mon babe, kid is grown now, do we relly need to do this?"....her reply with with steely eye reserve..."Yes, but you dont have to do the outside lights." A deal was struck that day. :yes: I am thinking of buying one of those laser things that shoots colorful moving dots all over the eterior of your house though.

:lol:  You are welcome to that mess Gfted! My only concession to decoration is the dogs Christmas stockings. That is kind of a tradition going back many long years. It's kind of a sad one in a way though. That box has stockings from dogs long since gone. I never got around to throwing the old ones away. But you gotta hang them high.... higher than a dog can jump!

Edited by Guard Dog

Thomas Sowell

at this very moment i complete the 35th hour since i woke up yesterday and i still don't feel sleepy. haven't stayed awake for such a long period of time since my university days.

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

Apparently walking with dachsund in your hands while listening to reggae is "weird" to some people. Pfft

• Like 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Out of curiosity, I started a step counter app before I began todays shift. As I walked out the doors at the end of it, I checked it and saw 35,934 steps. A little over 25 km's in that 8 hours. I think I can safely say that as I do this job, I'm never going to forget leg day....

• Like 3

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Out of curiosity, I started a step counter app before I began todays shift. As I walked out the doors at the end of it, I checked it and saw 35,934 steps. A little over 25 km's in that 8 hours. I think I can safely say that as I do this job, I'm never going to forget leg day....

Haha! Sounds about what I do working at the postal service here, I did slightly less 25k, though I only worked 6 hours :)