WarCraft movie is getting slaughtered by critics

ktchong

UT99 InstaGib or death.

• Like 2

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Has it ever occurred to you that some people are just not interested in high skill floor games you need to invest hundreds of hours in to master?

And that this might have something to do with Overwatch's popularity?

Well, I wouldn't say needing a long time to master is a bad thing, Overwatch does have some high skill heroes but overall it's easy enough to get into, I find. Not everyone seeks to master a game, I always think that "easy to get into, hard to master" is a good principle when making a game - casual people won't be off put and hardcore people find some meat to chew on for a time.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Also, completely off-topic, but TF2 has 9 mercs, not eight, and it actually gets stupidly fast-paced at the top level. The best way I can explain it quickly is that for example if you compare Scout to Tracer and Soldier to Pharah...? Scout can dodge and shoot simultaneously while Tracer cannot and her non-blink movement speed isn't all that fast. Scout likewise relies on burst damage whereas Tracer's is DPS. A Scout vs Scout fight can end very suddenly or take a while depending on how meatshots land, a Tracer vs. Tracer would get kinda awkward, I'd imagine, since both have at least one mulligan and the pacing would drastically drop once blinks get used. Ultimately Scout offers more potential control to the player which, when mastered, makes the class very potent. Pharah vs. Soldier? I wasn't joking when I said rocket jumping is a science. TF2 is free, so if you wanna see what I mean, launch the game, search for a server, type "jump academy" in the search results and you'll see what I mean if you try it yourself. Ridiculous amounts of practice needed, ridiculous potential provided. Pharah's air capacity is very steady and reliable as she's pretty much always moving at the same velocity with the exact same potential for movement at all times. This can have issues where for example she is an absolute sitting duck in the air when it comes to snipers. Soldier in TF2? Hell no. Sniper needs to be just as afraid of Soldier as he is of Sniper, because if he cannot land 1-2 headshots as the soldier's in air, Soldier will sure as hell land those rockets on his way down. Takes a ridiculous amount more effort to master Soldier over Pharah, but the pay off is pretty much all to do with movement speed, thus the end-game scenario for TF2 has to be one of the most fast-paced shooters on the market, if not the most. (I'm less familiar with other titles that come up in such discussions, such as Unreal Tournament for example, so can't say)

Has it ever occurred to you that some people are just not interested in high skill floor games you need to invest hundreds of hours in to master?

And that this might have something to do with Overwatch's popularity?

No that occurred to me completely. The snippet you're quoting is more or less a nitpicky correction cause I mean wtf he got the class count wrong. It's all besides the point though, cause for me my focus is on how it blows my mind how little the gaming community as a collective seems to care about storytelling.

Gameplay completely aside, trust me I've tried criticizing the writing of Overwatch and I've been met with quite a few defensive fans.

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

Hey, you can't blame me for forgetting the Soldier exists. The point remains, there are 21 heroes in Overwatch right now and the game is designed to be able to add an infinite number of new heroes. These characters have much less space at their disposal.

You're right, though. Nobody cares about the storytelling in Overwatch - it's so incredibly unimportant to the game itself that it's only told outside the game. You know why you think it's terrible storytelling? Because they're not storytelling at all and as such aren't trying to be good storytelling, and you shouldn't even consider it storytelling because that is a pointless endeavour. You can't say "gameplay aside" when talking about Overwatch's characters. Here's why:

You know why Reaper screams "DIE DIE DIE" in an over the top way? It's because nobody can misunderstand that this is the soundbyte that lets you know the edgy tryhard character whose theme is literally 'death' is using his dangerous ultimate. Reaper doesn't reap your soul as an ability because his theme is the grim reaper, he has that theme because he has the ability to reap you and that's the way to let you know that. Characters on your team have different voice bytes when they ult to let you know it's your team ulting so you don't run away or attack at the wrong moment. There's only so much you can do with a human voice, so the characters have outrageous and exaggerated awful accents so you can tell them apart instantly while they give you in-game information. Roadhog laughs when he kills someone to let you know Roadhog is out there wrecking ****, go help him. Tracer looks, talks and runs like an annoying little gnat because that's the purpose she has in game. This is why everything is a super simple archetype - because they're feeding you information that needs to be instantly understandable about 21+ characters. There is no storytelling, there is only a small layer of archetype and design to hide gameplay manipulation and prompts.

Edited by TrueNeutral
  • Like 1

Gameplay completely aside, trust me I've tried criticizing the writing of Overwatch and I've been met with quite a few defensive fans.

I hope you don't mean here in this forum.  No one that has responded to you seems to be all that close to fans, they've just been pointing out the flaws in your argument.

Also in regards to the OT.  This really is only newsworthy if the movie turned out to be good.

Edited by Hurlshot

"That's because Batman vs Superman's Tomatometer is far too high. That movie was one of the worst I've ever seen"

One of the best SH/CB movies ever. PERIOD.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

One of the best at being terrible. HEYOO. Seriously though, there was not a single element in that movie that was good. Not one single thing was even halfway decent. No hyperbole. People told me at least Batman was good, but even that's not true. His fight scenes made me laugh out loud at how stupid they were.

One of the best at being terrible. HEYOO. Seriously though, there was not a single element in that movie that was good. Not one single thing was even halfway decent. No hyperbole. People told me at least Batman was good, but even that's not true. His fight scenes made me laugh out loud at how stupid they were.

*hyperbole detected*

Not saying you have to think the film was good, but c'mon.  The end credits were what?  Too small?  Too fast?  Not long enough?  And they didn't to my memory, have a scene start in the day, go to night and end in the day with about 10 minutes of in-movie time having passed.  So its got that over, say, an Ed Wood film.

Edited by Amentep

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

*hyperbole detected*

Not saying you have to think the film was good, but c'mon.  The end credits were what?  Too small?  Too fast?  Not long enough?  And they didn't to my memory, have a scene start in the day, go to night and end in the day with about 10 minutes of in-movie time having passed.  So its got that over, say, an Ed Wood film.

I don't count end credits.

Still you can't deny the goodness of a proper day-night cycle.

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

you see, the plot of the games was a generic excuse for the battles of the campaign... and most was just backstory and lore, not actual plot.

of course the main detractor of points when it comes to movies based on games is that the game offers an extra dimension in your entertainment called game-play that is lost when it becomes a movie  

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

Saw the film today. It was pretty decent, but nothing spectacular. I hope (and think) there will be more films, because there's potential here. I really liked the orcs, but the human characters were all pretty lackluster.

It was worse than the last season of Arrow.

Come now, let's not go crazy here.

If nothing else there's a possibility that BvS was bad enough to get Snyder removed and improve any following movies- Arrow S5 on the other hand will start filming in a couple of months, with the same show runners. Arrow was also ~17hrs long, BvS was only an eighth of that. I'd bet if I forced you to watch one or the other you'd choose BvS for being shorter.

Be thankful for small mercies.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Jeremy Irons Alfred is the best Alfred.

• Like 1
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The one review compared it to Willow and Dragonslayer. Not exactly Lord of the Rings, but fun and remembered fondly. Thats all I ask for in a Warcraft movie.

Ha!

Willow and Dragonslayer rate much higher than the Lord of the Rings movies in my book (I am a fan of the books).

I'll likely go see it. Though Metzen is a moron, I like Fimmel, Moon was good, and once upon a time I really dug the Warcraft universe.

Nothing else better is looking to be out to see anyways (except perhaps 'Angry Birds', which I plan on taking in soon).

Fimmel is completely unlikeable in the movie. And I get the comparison - like I said in the movie thread, the orc half seems like a modern, grand and sweeping fantasy story while the human half looks like 80's sword and sorcery stuff. It's an uneven movie, I'd think it was worth about 60% on Rotten Tomatoes.

• Like 1

Well, the Tomato rating on Rotten Tomatoes is literally just a question of, "Did you have an overall positive view or experience of this movie, or did you have an overall negative view or experience of this movie? Fresh Tomato for positive, Rotten Tomato for negative." Consequently, the Tomatometer can lead to some pretty wacky ratings, since some people's idea of an "overall negative view or experience" of a movie could be something they'd otherwise rate as high as an 8/10 - I know that can sometimes be true for myself, where I could rate something highly for being technically sound and having a cool premise and whatever else - basically just understanding why a whole lot of other people like/love it, and yet personally not really liking it myself for whatever reasons. The Fifth Element, for example - I really do not like it, but I see why other people do. I'd give it a Rotten Tomato, but contrarily I'd probably also give the movie a rating of somewhere in the 7.5-8.5 range.

Some people are also much more sensitive to parts of movies (and other media) they don't like than parts they do like...and as such, having just a few bad parts can ruin their entire outlook on the overall movie. Others are much more forgiving. I personally fall into the former group of people, :p.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.