RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS

Blarghagh

Doom had a shareware version, so I'm not sure your example is all that great.  

Considering you can get many titles for pennies on the dollar nowadays, what with Steam sales, humble bundles, etc., I'd say the arguments for piracy are pretty weak.  But it has been awhile since we've gone rounds on this, so maybe it's time.  :p  

Oh don't play dumb, specific title is beside the point and you know it. And... Well there's a reason why I don't mention price in my arguments.

Edit: I should probably elaborate a little - Whys of piracy are an entirely different issue and I believe they are fairly irrelevant to a discussion about whether piracy hurts, helps or doesn't affect gaming.

Edit 2 - Revenge of the Edit:
All right, just so I don't have to post pointlessly I'll just put this into another edit -
You make it seem like the issue has already been discussed around these boards ad infinity, but my terrible searching skills allow me to find very little on the topic. I am, however, quite interested in viewpoints of this community - you guys often enough seem to back up what you're saying with actual reasoning as opposed to "What I'm saying is right lol", but I absolutely understand if you don't want to go into the same argumentation again and again. Anyway, what I'd like is if any of you could provide me with some links to previous topics discussing this issue, if you know about them at any rate. Don't worry, not about to necro anything, just want to read.

See, where I'm coming from is not a position of firm belief that piracy definitely helps videogames. I've seen some research papers proving that it either does or at the very least doesn't hurt for other media, I've also seen research papers proving the opposite that just didn't feel particularly persuasive to me, and then there are those which just work with implied "Piracy is fine" and "Piracy is wrong" without much reasoning backing up either position, which is ... Well, meh. As Zoraptor correctly pointed out, there's very little credible research concerning videogames and it shows.

My personal viewpoint is that piracy makes me comfortable in knowing I will never lose access to my purchased products and if anything ever goes **** up, there's a third party providing for me. I've seen, hell, been part of rampant piracy for most of my life and it largely helped me become the person I am now (you poor souls :-P) I don't know how much of an interest in videogames would I have if I wasn't part of that entire process, so seeing the different point of view is quite difficult for me without sound evidence and actual research into the subject which seems to be lacking, for the most part. I think it would be really cool to see global sale statistics for consoles before and after they got hacked for instance while keeping in mind natural aging process of these devices or how did services like Steam affect piracy and in turn sales data - as it stands tho, none of this has been put trough much research.

Frankly, the thought of piracy going away scares the **** out of me without seeing data confirming beyond shadow of a doubt how harmful is it. Currently we have a system which functions relatively well, preserves itself and gives consumer a decent amount of much needed choice. I'm not sure I want Valve, Ubisoft, EA and such to have complete and uncontested control over their properties, in spite of realizing that's their legal right and that that's exactly what they want. Main issue I've got with it is that they don't perceive videogames as art*, they perceive it as a product which can be disposed of after it outlives its usefulness - and when they lose the rights for their intellectual properties after the ridiculous amount of time this takes, without piracy, it's quite likely any trace of these works of art is going to either be completely gone or not available for public.

A very natural counter-argument to this would be "Well only buy physical, DRM-free content!" - thing is, pirate sites are what keeps this content alive naturally, organically, without any outside help, legal or financial. I firmly believe purely digital consumption of purely digital content is the way to go, and allowing consumers themselves to care for and preserve your own content is a very logical thing to do. Software pirates are not the enemy - and neither are big publishers, by the way. Still, for decades, they co-existed, yet software sales didn't drop to 0, quite the contrary, they flourished. I feel like taking piracy away would be taking away a powerful 'force of nature' which existed to curate, support and preserve milestones of our past when nobody else did. ... I'm ramblig now.

... Holy crap that's one hell of an edit. That's not just revenge of the edit, it's all 6 episodes of edit + extras, this is amazing!

* Whether you agree or not on whether videogames are a form of art, they're works of cultural signifance and as such deserve to be preserved. Whenever I refer to videogames as an art form, this is what I have in mind. I think we can all agree on that point :-P

Edited by Fenixp
  • Like 2

We interrupt this game piracy debate to bring you the following game trailer:

We now return you to your regularly scheduled game piracy debate.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 2

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Oh don't play dumb, specific title is beside the point and you know it. And... Well there's a reason why I don't mention price in my arguments.

Uh, you are the one that brought up Doom.

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/59648-piracy/

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/66262-piracy-or-not/?hl=starforce

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/56968-crysis-2-pirated/page-3?hl=starforce&do=findComment&comment=1096753

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/54266-ubisoft-drm-confirmed-to-boot-you-from-your-singleplayer-game-when-the-net-drops-out/?hl=starforce

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/54212-an-interesting-article-about-piracy/?hl=starforce

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/54115-the-age-of-new-drm/?hl=starforce

Basically I put in Starforce and it brought up a ton of conversations on piracy.   :p

Could it be that we spent the entirety of 2015 without a long discussion on piracy?

Edited by Hurlshot
  • Like 1

they don't perceive videogames as art

uh-oh! don't go there, man. this is the second most popular topic here after piracy  :biggrin:

• Like 1
Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

uh-oh! don't go there, man. this is the second most popular topic here after piracy  happy0203.gif

There, happy now? :-P

Uh, you are the one that brought up Doom.

Well yes, but the title is completely irrelevant. Replace it with UFO (X-COM), TES: Arena, whatever :-P

Anyway, thank you for going trough the effort of finding these for me. Most discussion seem to be concerned with whether piracy is stealing or not and whether it's a "nice thing to do" - which I should have expected I guess, but it doesn't particularly interest me. Anyway, some interesting points were raised at the very least.

• Like 1

Well I do think it is an interesting viewpoint that you bring up, that basically you never would have become a big fan of games if it weren't for piracy.  I think most of us were young and dumb at some point and probably pirated a game or two growing up.  It is hard to resist that temptation as a 13-year old, particularly back in the days when the internet was pretty wide open.  

But I look back on that time as me doing something dumb.  Most of my favorite gaming companies from those days are dead and buried, and while we can debate how much damage was done to them by piracy, it certainly did not help them transition to the new era.

Source for the "cultural and social importance"? Would love to see the research behind that statement.

That's the part of my statement you take issue with, really? Every widespread phenomena has some cultural and social importance, all you need to do to get that is to live in a country where piracy runs rampant. Heck, there are countries which would apply mods on a game, rebrand it and sell it under a different name - now that's genuinely harmful piracy, but denying its cultural impact on countries where it actually happens would be a little silly.

Anyway, the bit of my statement you actually should have taken issue with is the bit which goes on about *what* kind of importance that is, in other words, opening up to western market before it even properly arrived, because that's based purely on anecdotal evidence and my own experience.

Edit: We would never talk about Doom in school if a classmate didn't bring a floppy (floppies?) with a copy from his uncle, which then quickly spread around. Majority of the games which formed my childhood were pirated - not that we knew that'S even a thing back then. And a big part of early purchases from me and my friends were based on excitement for next installments of those games or at least games which were similar. I moved around quite a lot when I was a kid/teenager so I experienced more than a single collective where this happened. Naturally, I might have just gotten lucky and what I experienced might not have been an indicative of majority at all.

Actually this is what happened in every east european country. Every gamer was a pirate at some point, because there were no shops, which sold games here. After the shops started to open and they got older with proper jobs. they just stopped to pirate and start to spent ****loads of money on games. The guy which had 15 years ago the biggest collection of pirated games, that I have ever seen has now one of the biggest Steam Libraries I have ever seen. Like it or not, piracy in youth opens first the heart, and in middle age it opens the wallet big time. That is a fact, which I have experienced in my surrounding with almost everyone, who have ever played a pirated game, when I was a kid.

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

Doom had a shareware version, so I'm not sure your example is all that great.  

Considering you can get many titles for pennies on the dollar nowadays, what with Steam sales, humble bundles, etc., I'd say the arguments for piracy are pretty weak.  But it has been awhile since we've gone rounds on this, so maybe it's time.   :p

You could not buy the non-shareware version of Doom in East Europe, because something like credit cards did not exist at that time here among average populace.

Could it be that we spent the entirety of 2015 without a long discussion on piracy?

I seriously doubt that. :lol:

It is very hard to believe, but 2015 is really the most quiet year in piracy/anti-piracy debate on this board :p

Probably, that;s because GOG released to much awesomeness from kickstarters, that people simple did not have time to complain about big publishers and their DRM sillyness:P

All of that happened in Slovenia and other ex-yugoslavia countries as well. Back in Yugoslavia in C64 times, games were broadcast over radio so you could record them for an hour and then play. So how could it be any different later on.

• Like 1

1.13 killed off Ja2.

I don't think most people in Yug even knew what piracy was until year 2000. I know I thought I was buying legit games for a while (although I was a kid then), then the internet kind of changed that.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

It's true, before the internet took off, it was literally impossible to buy legal copies of many games in Eastern Bloc countries.  If you wanted a game your choice was to buy a pirated copy.  Period.  There was no other choice.  It wasn't thought of as piracy because there was no other option.

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Guess we have 2 years to pirate as much as we can.

Lack of piracy isn't amazing news for consumers, really.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Lack of piracy isn't amazing news for consumers, really.

Good one.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Good one.

It really isn't, positives of piracy are fairly easy to point out and prove, yet negatives are up for scrutiny. There's a reason why most argumentation against piracy you see tends to be along the lines of "It's bad" backed up by "It's common knowledge" or something along those lines. We still have ways to go when it comes to wrapping our heads around this whole digital revolution thing.

I admit when i was young i had a collection of pirated games. Now i have steam origin gog libraries and i probably did not even touch like 60% of games there....

Try to make a point to parents to spend 25-40USD on a single "computer game" in a country where average monthly wage was at 480USD

Edited by Darkpriest
  • Like 1

Source for the "cultural and social importance"? Would love to see the research behind that statement.

That's the part of my statement you take issue with, really? Every widespread phenomena has some cultural and social importance, all you need to do to get that is to live in a country where piracy runs rampant. Heck, there are countries which would apply mods on a game, rebrand it and sell it under a different name - now that's genuinely harmful piracy, but denying its cultural impact on countries where it actually happens would be a little silly.

Anyway, the bit of my statement you actually should have taken issue with is the bit which goes on about *what* kind of importance that is, in other words, opening up to western market before it even properly arrived, because that's based purely on anecdotal evidence and my own experience.

Edit: We would never talk about Doom in school if a classmate didn't bring a floppy (floppies?) with a copy from his uncle, which then quickly spread around. Majority of the games which formed my childhood were pirated - not that we knew that'S even a thing back then. And a big part of early purchases from me and my friends were based on excitement for next installments of those games or at least games which were similar. I moved around quite a lot when I was a kid/teenager so I experienced more than a single collective where this happened. Naturally, I might have just gotten lucky and what I experienced might not have been an indicative of majority at all.

I'm just calling you out on your bull****.

You write all these words about cultural significance and preserving of blah blah, to justify not paying for other people's work. It's nauseating.

It's just your opinion and it's worthless.

• Like 1

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I'm just calling you out on your bull****.

You write all these words about cultural significance and preserving of blah blah, to justify not paying for other people's work. It's nauseating.

It's just your opinion and it's worthless.

who is not from east europe will never understand probably, but I am pretty sure that for example guys from CD project pirated like crazy when they were young

Edited by Chilloutman
  • Like 1

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

They even confesed to it, in one of their interviews. :-P

The biggest pirates in the EE, were the first people who opened the first official games shop in the region as well.

• Like 1

Try to make a point to parents to spend 25-40USD on a single "computer game" in a country where average monthly wage was at 480USD

Not that it matters much because I'm sure everyone's opinion is well entrenched, but this argument only can really be sustained if owning a video game had joined food, water and shelter as the basic necessities of life.  Otherwise its a luxury, and one nobody had to have to live.

Don't get me wrong, I understand that the way the market worked there were places in Eastern Europe that games were not legally available and pirating was the only way for many to play some games.  But lets not pretend that people would have collapsed and died if they'd not been able to play the game and lets not pretend that all the piracy in the world was poor people in far away places where games weren't really being distributed either. 

Edited by Amentep
  • Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Not that it matters much because I'm sure everyone's opinion is well entrenched, but this argument only can really be sustained if owning a video game had joined food, water and shelter as the basic necessities of life.  Otherwise its a luxury, and one nobody had to have to live.

Don't get me wrong, I understand that the way the market worked there were places in Eastern Europe that games were not legally available and pirating was the only way for many to play some games.  But lets not pretend that people would have collapsed and died if they'd not been able to play the game and lets not pretend that all the piracy in the world was poor people in far away places where games weren't really being distributed either.

Is anyone stating something like that? All we are saying that all that years of pirating brought us to gaming and we are now spending money on it. But without pirating there would not be that large population of gamers, doubt that there will be any dev studios either, so you can say that best game of last year was brought to you by pirates

Edited by Chilloutman
  • Like 1

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Is anyone stating something like that? All we are saying that all that years of pirating brought us to gaming and we are now spending money on it. But without pirating there would not be that large population of gamers, doubt that there will be any dev studios either, so you can say that best game of last year was brought to you by pirates

Perhaps I misread it, I thought Darkpriest was pointing out income levels as a good rationale for pirating games, hence my response.

That there were positive effects from pirating (more companies, a sustainable market created through early piracy) are all fine arguments to make.  That doesn't appear to be the argument I was responding to, however.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man