RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS

Blarghagh

-video-

Nice tribute to Westwood

The question to ask is not what it would have been like had Westwood not existed, but what it would have been like if they hadn't sold themselves to EA. Would they have survived and still made RTS games today?

There is a serious lack of RTS game today, I know the market was oversaturated at one point, but I think it's high time it made a return.

• Like 1

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

There is a serious lack of RTS game today, I know the market was oversaturated at one point, but I think it's high time it made a return.

Yeah, all we got is Grey Goo, Company of Heroes II and SC2 when it comes to single-player RTS, and while both are good, neither is stellar. Which sucks.

Then again, I do believe the reason for RTS to more or less die was not necessarily oversaturation of market but how stale the genre has grown and most attempts to significantly differentiate ended up unpopular - with the exception of Dawn of War 2 I suppose

While I can't say about Grey Goo, SC2 and CoH2 are both small-scale micro games. There's been a serious lack, for a long time, of large-scale RTS. I miss the days of Total Annihilation, when I could fight 7 AI's and there'd be 4000 units on the map. Those are the kinds of RTS i loved. I like the micro games well enough, even though I suck at them (my APM would be lucky to make it out of the teens) but I miss the massive battles, the playstyles that aren't viable in most micro games (I'm a turtle at heart, and Starcraft and it's ilk seem to demand an aggressively expansionist playstyle...you can't even build walls or decent defensive weaponry, for crying out loud!) and the lack of DOTA style missions in the campaigns (I seriously hate the "take these 6 units and go kill stuff making sure none of them die so you have a chance against the boss" type missions in Starcraft.)

Indy Developer Flippfly ( Race the Sun) is doing a Prototype Showdown.

They'll be matching up their prototypes of game ideas for people to play and vote on.

Read here:

http://us4.campaign-archive2.com/?u=bd1c57b05496b11a3b12e8eaa&id=fd1799221f&e=3ebb79c3a9

• Like 1

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

There's Planetary Annihilation which is pretty good and decent in SP

I actually kickstarted Planetary Annihilation, so I've got it and Titans. I was so angry at the devs shenanigans at launch (online only, no saving, etc.) that I've never actually played it, though. Might have to remedy that at some point.

I actually kickstarted Planetary Annihilation, so I've got it and Titans. I was so angry at the devs shenanigans at launch (online only, no saving, etc.) that I've never actually played it, though. Might have to remedy that at some point.

Well since you already have it anyway there's not much of a point in not trying it out - it's not like you can take money away from the devs now. It's a really good game and I've had a blast in SP with it, but... Up to a point. Sadly, SP AI just isn't up to par when you learn how to beat it, even on higher difficulties, and it's an issue for more than a year now. Which is weird, because in Skirmish, it can be pretty damn nasty - this is just an issue with campaign.

And lack of proper saving is moronic, but IIRC the game is supposed to allow you to save mid-mission and then pick up from there. For me, this feature is also broken. *sigh* At least most matches take between 30 minutes to 1 hour

Of course, then there are Sins of the Solar Empires for large-scale conflict.

Edited by Fenixp

Squad looks terrible visually... not sure I can tolerate that degree of fidelity for 40$

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Nay, ain't my type of game. Also it looks like ships always move on a 2d plane? Thought this game would be in "real" 3d / on a z axis, etc.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

I hope the voice acting is placeholder because holy smokes it's bad.  Still, any game that features Świętowit has my attention.  Also, I like how colorful it is with many colors being brighter or a lighter/different shade than expected.

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Wait... Did he just say... MICRO cannons? That's it, I'm boycotting! :verymad:

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken