What are you playing now?

Blarghagh

Rubacava was fun enough for me that exploring every nook and cranny was enjoyable, was truly sad when Year 2 ended. Never did like 3 or 4 that much.

Maybe cryptic was the wrong word; just that there's so much to wrap your head around , before you get to solving anything. I mean it's fun revisiting everything again, don't get me wrong

Rubacava was fun enough for me that exploring every nook and cranny was enjoyable, was truly sad when Year 2 ended. Never did like 3 or 4 that much.

Maybe cryptic was the wrong word; just that there's so much to wrap your head around , before you get to solving anything. I mean it's fun revisiting everything again, don't get me wrong

Oh ok, was more questioning what was your difficulty so I could help possibly.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Completed even more missions in The Witcher 2. I completed all side missions where I could figure out the solution. I'm now doing some of the main quests.

I also completed The Wolf Among Us. It was decent but nothing spectacular. I'd buy a sequel if it goes on sale (like I did with this.) I actually only had one technical issue this time around. I got a bug where all choices would say "This choice is blank!". Sometimes, that description did actually fit.

Oh ok, was more questioning what was your difficulty so I could help possibly.

That's ok, I cheated through the game with the strategy guide back in 1998, when I was a kid. Since I forgot most of the puzzles now, I'm doing a playthrough without any help to finally do this game justice

As visually attractive as AC Unity is, the game play falls behind previous installments, IMO.  For one, the new control scheme is just weird.  Aiming and shooting a gun is needlessly awkward.  There's also a lot of texture popping, for some strange reason.  I didn't notice the same from Black Flag.  If it's the "better graphics" that are causing it, then they're better off going with more basic graphics and no texture popping.  Finally, the load times are ridiculously long.  Particularly after playing a main story sequence.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Stealth was exploitable but way harder than simply going in guns blazing and head-shooting everyone. Heck, with the assault rifles you were nearly invincible. Get behind cover and head-shoot everyone.- Its like a hammerhead game. Sneaking past 15 guards who carry flash lights / head lamps and finding alternative routes and avoiding nearly invisible traps was fun. Not nearly as much fun as stealth in the Thief games but fun.

I think in my playthrough I made Artyom out to be the Metro's most prolific mugger rather than badass Ranger of Sparta, knocking out every single commie, fascist, and bandit with the brass knuckles of the trench knife. I hope they managed to save enough MRI machines from the nuclear apocalypse because those poor f***ers are going to need them.

“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

More Dying Light.  The game is quite fun, and with filmgrain off it looks so much better now.  I like how when I get agility level ups, the game becomes closer and closer to Mirror's Edge.  Combat is still mostly meh, like in Dead Island, but you don't have to do nearly as much of it, if you don't want to.  Also, you can pull off hilariously awesome moves like dropkicking zombies into spiked barricades.  That's right up there with Fus Ro Dah-ing fools off cliffs in the goofy fun department.

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

More Dying Light.  The game is quite fun, and with filmgrain off it looks so much better now.  I like how when I get agility level ups, the game becomes closer and closer to Mirror's Edge.  Combat is still mostly meh, like in Dead Island, but you don't have to do nearly as much of it, if you don't want to.  Also, you can pull off hilariously awesome moves like dropkicking zombies into spiked barricades.  That's right up there with Fus Ro Dah-ing fools off cliffs in the goofy fun department.

Keyrock are you not finding the game a little biased towards Zombies ? It seems in these types of games all we ever do is kill zombies and portray them in a certain way , there is never any dialogue or consideration around the aspirations of what zombies want, the idea is everyone wants their place in the world and even a brain-munching zombie should be given some rights and recognition in civil society. By playing a game like this what you are inadvertently doing is reinforcing the " zombie cultural stereotype " 

Granted it is a new SJ movement but I believe it will gain momentum, the goal is really to stop seeing zombies as the  " bad guys" all the time?

:teehee:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I'm not playing this but I wish I was

I want my own Basilisk War Droid! Battletech simulator!

• Like 2

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Yeah, same here. I was (un)lucky enough to have a Virtual World open near where I lived.

Zero Sum game for me...comics or Battletech. Serious drain on my paper route money.

• Like 1

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

The loading times in AC Unity are killing me.  I can't even fast travel to a different part of the map without having to wait (what seems like) a minute or so for it to pass the loading screen.  Kind of ruins the continuity of the story when a cutscene plays after you finish a memory -- long loading screen -- then a new scene opens.

I also hate how difficult it is to lose pursuers when you have a group of enemies after you.  They run just as fast as you, and there aren't that many bushes, haystacks, or carts of hay to hide in.

So far, one of my least favorite entries in the AC series.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I want my own Basilisk War Droid! Battletech simulator!

Edited by Agiel
  • Like 1
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

Man, Jordan Weisman (who talks in the Battletech video) is one of those lucky guys who doesn't seem to age. Another game dev vampire? Their studios must be like cabals of younger vampires.

Edited by Endrosz

The Seven Blunders/Roots of Violence: Wealth without work. Pleasure without conscience. Knowledge without character. Commerce without morality. Science without humanity. Worship without sacrifice. Politics without principle. (Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi)

Let's Play the Pools Saga (SSI Gold Box Classics)

Pillows of Enamored Warfare -- The Zen of Nodding

Has anybody played Dying Light yet? Any impressions? 

*cough*

I'm playing Dying Light.  As is, sadly, expected, the game has some bugs and issues at launch, but they can be worked around, most of them, anyway.  There is noticeable stutter, ghosting, and a weird issue where sometimes characters' lips don't move when they speak (other times they do).  The stuttering seems to be across both Windows and Linux, I'm not sure if the other issues are Linux specific.  The stuttering can be gotten rid of by simply turning off Steam Overlay.  I don't know how the two are connected, but turning off Steam Overlay solved the problem, so whatever.  The ghosting I solved by turning on AmbientOcclusion.  It's not in the settings menu on Linux, I turned it on in the config file and the ghosting magically disappeared (or it's a coincidence or placebo effect, small sample size and all).  The lack of lip movement I have not been able to solve, but it;s not a showstopper, it just makes some conversations look weird.  I'm playing the game at 1440p maxed out except antialiasing off (I don't notice jaggies anyway) and motion blur off (because I hate motion blur).  The game runs fine other than the lip movement issue.  I haven't thrown the FPS counter on it (don't think I can without the Steam Overlay or using a 3rd party app), but I'm getting a smooth playable framerate and haven't noticed hiccups.  

It's a very pretty game.  The lighting effects are pretty spectacular and the texture quality and character models are all quality.  The game plays like a better Dead Island with a greater emphasis on mobility and evasion.  During the day most zombies are pretty docile.  They will come after you if you get close and they spot you, but they can be easily distracted and you can get away from them quite easily.  I'll fight zombies if I have an isolated zombie or two, or if a quest demands it, but if there's a pack of them, I just run right past them.  The game has a free running system.  it's not quite as smooth as Mirror's Edge, but it is adequate.  Generally speaking, during the day, if you climb up on a rooftop or on top of a bus or van, you are untouchable as zombies can't climb.  Everything changes at night.  When the sun is about to set, it's a mad scramble to get back to either the tower or a safe house.  If you get caught outside during nighttime you are in a world of trouble.  There are super strong, quick, agile zombies that only come out at night and they will hunt your ass down and they will murder you.  Maybe at higher level I'll have the skills and means to fight them, but right now if I'm out at night and I get spotted I'm all "F this ****, I'm f'n out of here".  Running from the zombies at night is a pretty pulse pounding adrenaline rush.  They are just as fast as you in full sprint, maybe even slightly faster, and they can climb.  There is a risk/reward mechanic where all experience earned (you get experience for not just fighting, but also doing free running) during nighttime is doubled, so it;s a good way to get stronger, also a good way to get killed.

Anyway, I'm liking the game so far.  The gameplay during the day is mostly laid back since zombies are so easy to escape, but I like the fact that you generally don't have to fight them if you don't want to.  Gameplay during the night will get your heart rate up.  It's freakin' intense.  I'll post some screenshots once they sort the Steam Overlay problem out.  Without Steam Overlay I can't (easily) do screenshots, unless there is a screenshot utility in the game itself I haven't noticed.

Dang, Dying Light went from easy to insanely difficult right quick.  I gotta go to an area that's ridiculously packed with zombies.  The regular ones I could avoid, but they have virals there, several of them, which are recently turned zombies that are ridiculously fast, can climb, and jump around like monkeys making them hard to hit.  Worse yet, I gotta hit them like 15 times with my crappy weapons to put them down for good.  I desperately need a better weapon but I can't afford one and I haven't been able to find a halfway decent weapon anywhere.  I think I'll need to abandon this quest for now and scavenge around a safer area for a while, because I got no chance in the area I'm trying to get to now.  I can kill one or two virals provided I can fight them one at a time, but half a dozen is way too much for me to handle right now and I can;t just run past them because they're pretty much smack dab in the area I need to get to.

I do like how after the first couple quests, which a very much scripted and will happen at certain times of day regardless how quickly you get there, the time of day runs freely and you can decide on your own whether to try to get something done while sunset is approaching or to play it safe and go back to a safe house to sleep until morning.

• Like 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Finished DA:O: Leliana's Song the other night.

Kinda dull.  Samey fights, not much in the way of character writing, and the only area not re-used from the base game was a boring ol' canyon. Also had a weird issue with the cutscenes at the very end starting over after they finished.  If it hadn't come with the superduper edition (which I bought on sale, primarily for Awakenings), I'd be peeved at having purchased it. 

I guess now it's time to plod through the final boss sequence for the base game.  I recall this being rather tedious, so we'll see how it goes.  Still, finally getting the opportunity to tell Morrigan to get lost should be fun. 

Edited by Enoch

Anyone hit up Life is Strange yesterday? That was the Steam release, today is the PS4 release.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Anyone hit up Life is Strange yesterday? That was the Steam release, today is the PS4 release.

I'm definitely curious about how it turns out.  I have no intention of getting it any time soon since it's episodic and I'm not keen on getting anything episodic until all the episodes are released.

• Like 2

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Its title card artwork was enough to grab my attention to get me to go to its store page, but it doesn't really look like my type of game...

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Seems like a Telltale-type of "game" (read: movie).

Not worth 20 euro, probably give it a try if it's entirety is under 5 euro though.

• Like 1

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

I dunno why motion blur, depth of field and film grain are considered improvements over being able to see what you are doing as well as what is around you. The motion blur is on for sprinting, but you sprint 80% of the time in that game. At least you can turn off all that crap. 

Resource intensive effects that makes your game look and play worse. Horray. 

• Like 3

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.