What are you playing now?

Blarghagh

Having reached the Lower Ward of Sigil i'm left with that usual delay while i summon up the fortitude to face all of the content in the location, which I suppose is a form of analysis paralysis, and yet I know that a solid half hour of play will enchant, enthrall me and leave me raring to continue in the Nameless One's sandals.

Edited by Nonek

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Stranded Deep - waiting for an update (definitely needs a lot of balance tweaks), but still messing around in it from time to time. You can mod the game (simple stuff) so I'm sorta playing with a bit of that. Needs bigger storm waves - right now it's kind of like paddling on an endless lake with only mild water movement. Although first it needs a less derpy boat/raft system, so you don't slide out of it while paddling sometimes.

Another one of those games where most would find, in its current condition, that after a few or several hours there's "nothing to do," but which I keep messing around in. It's just so ... peaceful. Even with the sharks.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Still Darkest Dungeon. Started a new game and did some things different this time. Got a much better run so far, but still lost a few heroes, which pains me a lot. Later in the game it probably will get really hard to level up the noobs.

Have to say, for my taste there is a little bit too much random in the game. I can try to prepare for a dungeon type, but chances are still 50:50 that everything will go down the ****ter...

Edited by Lexx
  • Like 2

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

I'm torn on the random element, I actually think I am in favor of it with regards to this game. Most games with a horror or survival thing going can be "overcome" as one learn (I'm sure people have figured out how to break this game also though, don't get me wrong). With this game, you just never know. And with atmosphere being such a huge part of it, I think it really needs that feel of the game being able to screw you badly whenever.

That said, I'm sure it could be tweaked. But I hope they don't lose that feeling of "you're one bad diceroll away from getting screwed", I kinda love that.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

Since I've been bitching about AC Unity's combat mechanics and overall control mechanics, I should say that on the positive side the assassin quests/investigations are really entertaining.  It's always amusing to hit a target you're supposed to kill with a berzerker dart and watch from afar as his own men tear him apart.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I'm torn on the random element, I actually think I am in favor of it with regards to this game. Most games with a horror or survival thing going can be "overcome" as one learn (I'm sure people have figured out how to break this game also though, don't get me wrong). With this game, you just never know. And with atmosphere being such a huge part of it, I think it really needs that feel of the game being able to screw you badly whenever.

That said, I'm sure it could be tweaked. But I hope they don't lose that feeling of "you're one bad diceroll away from getting screwed", I kinda love that.

Yeah. It's a thin line, though. Yesterday due to bad luck or w/e, I've lost two good heroes. I could have cancled the quest before, but I was close to the end and if I had cancled it, there would be negative effects again + even more stress, resulting in me having to chose other characters for the next dungeon that haven't "recharged" enough yet to be really effective. Also with the lack of money due to the cancled quest, I couldn't "recharge" the current heroes. So if I fail in the next one as well, which is very likely due to the not-top-fit heroes I would have to chose, then I am up for even more bad shait in the future... If I am still able to play much further with all the shattered characters anyway.

I know that's what the game is about, but it's loosing a bit fun for me in such situations- becaus one single random event just influenced my next 3 or 4 dungeon runs in a bad way.

They need to tweak the game a tad more and add stuff like stress relief when finishing a dungeon, etc. Something to counterbalance all the negative stuff a little bit. Then you still get broken characters, but at least you can still somewhat continue and might be able to pull everything around again. :>

Damn, in the end I am just pissed, because I lost my warrior woman. She pwned so many enemies, and then because of one stupid masochist trait + failed healing + bleeding she died at the god damn endboss of the dungeon. The endboss died in the next turn and I was able to exit the dungeon....... I took care of her so much and then BAM, gone she is.

/Edit: I agree with what others have said.. The game isn't hard because you are so bad at tactics, but because it is so very random in everything.

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

I finally decided to revisit The Old Republic and check out the housing.  Holy moly, they did a good job with that!  I bought a place in Coruscant and unlocked all the rooms with my stash of credits, and then spent awhile decorating it with my stable of characters.  I've got a lot of cool stuff, but it still feels pretty empty.  Definitely a welcome little diversion from all the story stuff.

I visited a public house in Tatooine just to see what other people are doing.  They give you a lot of real estate to work with!

How does it compare to the player housing in EverQuest 2 (still my measuring stick when it comes to player housing in MMOs...how I wish that game wasn't left to wither like it was by SOE, *sobs quietly*)

Anyway, still playing through Guildwars 2, made it to level 65 or so with my Sylvari Thief, currently I'm just exploring and completing areas to make it to level 70 (though I have a bunch of level up scrolls from rewards chests and such) to get access to the next bit of Personal Story content. Looks like my Bioshock playthrough might have stranded in the theatre level once more...

• Like 1

i tried to use that 7 days for free offer that EA had for BF4. i installed the game, i launched it and... nothing! "the 7 day game time for this account has already been used. please buy the game". WTF? i never played this game since the time of the beta when i found that my pc (then) could not run it at more than 20fps. do they count the 7 days of the beta as the free game time i used? and since  the progress is saved for you to pick up where you left when you get the game, i can see that nobody used this time by hacking my account since the profile is at 0 (and nobody would care about the account if they hacked it since i only have the vanila BF3 and ME3 in it)

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

I've played the BF4 beta and tried the final version on that free weekend. The beta was barely playable on low-medium. The final ran very well on my aging PC with a combination of High-Ultra settings. I also got it to run smoothly at higher settings than BF3 did on my PC.

BF: Hardline beta feels like ass (to me) right now. I don't know what it is. Something in the way aiming feels is just not comfortable.

Edited by Fighter

I finally decided to revisit The Old Republic and check out the housing.  Holy moly, they did a good job with that!  I bought a place in Coruscant and unlocked all the rooms with my stash of credits, and then spent awhile decorating it with my stable of characters.  I've got a lot of cool stuff, but it still feels pretty empty.  Definitely a welcome little diversion from all the story stuff.

I visited a public house in Tatooine just to see what other people are doing.  They give you a lot of real estate to work with!

How does it compare to the player housing in EverQuest 2 (still my measuring stick when it comes to player housing in MMOs...how I wish that game wasn't left to wither like it was by SOE, *sobs quietly*)

Anyway, still playing through Guildwars 2, made it to level 65 or so with my Sylvari Thief, currently I'm just exploring and completing areas to make it to level 70 (though I have a bunch of level up scrolls from rewards chests and such) to get access to the next bit of Personal Story content. Looks like my Bioshock playthrough might have stranded in the theatre level once more...

I'd say it is better.  While it doesn't have the absolute freedom that Everquest 2 had, it has a ton of hooks for items and you can change the templates to mix up small, medium, and large objects.  The houses themselves are brilliant, they are big and scenic with a lot of rooms.  It's also very easy to have all your characters access your houses, so I have an Imperial room with all my NPC's from that side, and a Republic room with the others.

• Like 1

I'd say it is better.  While it doesn't have the absolute freedom that Everquest 2 had, it has a ton of hooks for items and you can change the templates to mix up small, medium, and large objects.  The houses themselves are brilliant, they are big and scenic with a lot of rooms.  It's also very easy to have all your characters access your houses, so I have an Imperial room with all my NPC's from that side, and a Republic room with the others.

Glad to see that at least some MMO developers are still considering player housing as more than a checklist item (though, actually your ship was supposed to be your house iirc from SWTOR launch, and it was rather a failure in that regard).

Guildwars 2's player housing sort of feels like one (a checklist item I mean), while it has some nice features (it evolves based on your personal quest) it ultimately isn't a place where I *want* to be with my character (at least not my Sylvari, maybe other races' are better, though I sort of doubt it) whereas in EQ2 I *always* logged out in my house if I had the chance.

I loved in EQ2 how your house was really *your* house and that you could display your conquests there (including some rare weaponry you acquired through sometimes very long and arduous quests even though the weapon itself was of no use to you, it was still a status symbol), it also made for a rather convenient way to keep players doing "stuff" without it feeling like a real grind (not to mention, that combined with a form of level scaling it managed to keep quite a bit of the "old" content interesting and avoided that certain areas ended up being entirely dead, a problem that WoW suffered from to a major degree before the Cataclysm revamp)

Anyway, looks like I'll have a deeper look into SWTOR's player housing, if that stuff is done right I might even install the game again.

Edited by marelooke

Shame WoW never attempted to do player housing....though with the way they did garrisons I think that is for the best, really.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Lord of the Rings Online did player housing well too, I love the idea of having a neighborhood.

That's only fun if you can break into your neighbor's house and tear his furniture apart, then spray paint on the walls "Boba Fett was here".

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Still playing Dying Light.  The game just keeps getting better.  It's probably not going to win much in the way of awards, but it's a really fun game.  While the story is at its best at the very beginning then quickly fizzles out and falls into a highly predictable paint by numbers ordeal we've all done a billion times now, from a mechanical standpoint the game starts at its weakest and gets significantly better as you level up.  Much credit must be given to Techland for the skill trees.  This game has some of the best skill trees I've ever encountered in a game.  In this respect, Dying Light is the anti-Borderlands.  Almost every new skill you pick up truly means something and often changes gameplay significantly.  Almost every time you level up you actually feel more powerful.  It's pretty fantastic.  The agility skill tree is my favorite, since the more I put into it the closer to Mirror's Edge I get, but all 3 skill trees have great skills to pick up in them.  The parkour element not only makes the game a lot more fun to play than Dead Island because it allows you to avoid a ton of battles, but it also makes battles more fun.  Dropkicking zombies never ceases to entertain, and now that I can drop on top of zombies from above and insta-kill them, combat has just gotten that much more fun.  It's not just about standing there and swinging away then backing up to catch your breath, it's about staying mobile and using your environment to your advantage.

Hopefully they put out some decent worthwhile DLC for this game.  I'll gladly pick it up if the content/value for the money is right.

• Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Next-to-last memory sequence and finally Captain Kenway stopped being a moronic ****. Still ugly as sin, though.

And Anne Bonny as quartermaster came too late, I'm pretty much done with side-content.

Or maybe you did too many sidequests before reaching that part in the story. ;)

I have to stay away from Ubisoft games, not only because they're so often trash at launch, but also because they stuff their games with such a ridiculous overabundance of collectibles and towers.  Sweet lord the mother****ing Ubisoft hard on for towers to climb.  The completionist junkie in me doesn't allow me to simply ignore all that optional stuff and I wind up getting sucked down a 50 hour rabbit hole of menial chores every time.  :p

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I have to stay away from Ubisoft games, not only because they're so often trash at launch, but also because they stuff their games with such a ridiculous overabundance of collectibles and towers.  Sweet lord the mother****ing Ubisoft hard on for towers to climb.  The completionist junkie in me doesn't allow me to simply ignore all that optional stuff and I wind up getting sucked down a 50 hour rabbit hole of menial chores every time.  :p

It's a bit more fun than BioWare's "pick 5 flowers for this farmer" or "find this sack of potatoes" quests that infest Inquisition, at least. :p

Still playing Dying Light.  The game just keeps getting better.  It's probably not going to win much in the way of awards, but it's a really fun game.  While the story is at its best at the very beginning then quickly fizzles out and falls into a highly predictable paint by numbers ordeal we've all done a billion times now, from a mechanical standpoint the game starts at its weakest and gets significantly better as you level up.  Much credit must be given to Techland for the skill trees.  This game has some of the best skill trees I've ever encountered in a game.  In this respect, Dying Light is the anti-Borderlands.  Almost every new skill you pick up truly means something and often changes gameplay significantly.  Almost every time you level up you actually feel more powerful.  It's pretty fantastic.  The agility skill tree is my favorite, since the more I put into it the closer to Mirror's Edge I get, but all 3 skill trees have great skills to pick up in them.  The parkour element not only makes the game a lot more fun to play than Dead Island because it allows you to avoid a ton of battles, but it also makes battles more fun.  Dropkicking zombies never ceases to entertain, and now that I can drop on top of zombies from above and insta-kill them, combat has just gotten that much more fun.  It's not just about standing there and swinging away then backing up to catch your breath, it's about staying mobile and using your environment to your advantage.

Hopefully they put out some decent worthwhile DLC for this game.  I'll gladly pick it up if the content/value for the money is right.

I have said this before and I'll say it again, you have a real ability to describe a game in a way that is objective, sincere and yet still very  exciting. I read your reviews of a game and if they are positive you have generally convinced me to purchase it ..you make me want to play a game and thats a rare talent

Yes you should be doing reviews on a professional basis :geek:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Ubisoft certainly seems to hate its female characters.  Every game of AC seems to see the main female in the game get killed at the end.

Also, I hate the "boss fights" they come up with.  Then again that applies to most games.

• Like 2

Woohoo, got a PS TV from the lightning deal. Had to sit on the waitlist for an hour and I didn't think I would get it.

I'll finally be able to play those Danganropa games.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Finished the main story for AC Unity.  On to the Dead Kings DLC.  It came free for me with the purchase.  Is that the same for everyone?  Usually these DLC cost money.