Wasteland 2 Kickstarted

One of the 0s:

Sep 19, 2014

This game is a piece of unplayable crap. Terrible graphics, poor animation, almost no story, frustriting fights. Hey, playing such thing in 2014 is like "

L0L

7.9 isn't horrible.  I'd say it's generous. Not great though.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Wasteland 2 is a very niche game. My prediction is that, unlike D:OS, it'll pass relatively unnoticed by the gaming community. It also won't get high ratings (whether it deserves them or not) because Fallout fans just won't allow that to happen.

Fallout fans have likely all bought it; like it... And some might even ignore any shortcomings.

Fallout fans have likely all bought it

I don't want to start a discussion here that will lead to name calling or worse. :) So I admit that "Fallout fans" was an unfortunate generalization. Let's say "the less sensible yet more vocal members of the Fallout community", OK?

And before I'm misunderstood - I'm actually rooting for WL2 and hope my gut feeling about its fate is wrong.

Edited by prodigydancer

Wasteland 2 is a very niche game. My prediction is that, unlike D:OS, it'll pass relatively unnoticed by the gaming community. It also won't get high ratings (whether it deserves them or not) because Fallout fans just won't allow that to happen.

I'm a Fallout series fan, and I don't plan to hold that against Wasteland 2. I like what I've see of it thus far, and the game play is different enough from Fallout to be held to different standards.

Edited by rjshae

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

I've spent almost an hour in character creation and will likely spend almost another hour.  So far I have made 2 characters, complete with bio.  I'm a bit obsessive like that.  It will be all the more painful when I get brutally slaughtered early on in the game since I'll be playing on Ranger difficulty (because, bring it the **** on) right off the bat.

:wowey:

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Here's a quick pro-tip.  This has surely been discovered by others, but I'll put it out here anyway in case it saves even one person some aggravation:

There is an option to take a snapshot of your character model to use as your portrait, since there are not nearly enough stock portraits to closely match up with character models.  If you make your character model tall and then take a snapshot then there will be a white bar at the top, where the graphics on the model cut off.  A very simple workaround is to make your character model shorter temporarily, take the snapshot, then you can make the character model whatever size you want.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Compared to fallout 3 it doesn't stack up and I much prefer the fallout series.

Indeed. Metacritic is the best website. /Edit: The other 10/10 "critics" are at least as bad. These folks honestly can't have finished the game yet. They know nothing about the whole story, yet you get a truckton of "amazing plot" and whatnot.

----------

Finished Ag Center now and moved to Rail Nomads. Kinda rushing through the beginning, as I finally want to see the LA part. This obviously shows the huge drawback of beta access: For me it feels tedious now to play through the beginning once again.

Would have chosen Highpool instead, because it is faster, but I wanted to have Rose in my team...

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Finished Ag Center now and moved to Rail Nomads. Kinda rushing through the beginning, as I finally want to see the LA part. This obviously shows the huge drawback of beta access: For me it feels tedious now to play through the beginning once again.

Which is why I'm so glad I avoided the game until full release.  :yes:

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Stream #3 going up. I passed out. What the hell was I thinking, trying for the speed run?

They actually launched on time. Amazing!

I hope OE is taking notes on this! :)

It's up to the Steam server. And even then, *eye roll*.

Pfeh. The Steam server is PART of it, but is absolutely not what I'm talking about. The devs actually have to deliver a completed game in order to Steam to deploy it. That's the challenging part. The Steam part is hardly worth mentioning.

"Now to find a home for my other staff."
My Project Eternity Interview with Adam Brennecke

Been playing it for a few hours so far and I'm really enjoying, surprised to be honest.

-Thought the keyword system would annoy me more, thought it might seem like the dialogue wheel, but I'm fine with it. Although full lines are still more preferable.

-Really like how the skills have been incorporated into the game. Most excessive use of skill checks I've seen in a long time.

-Combat is decent, it seems a bit easy but then I started on what would probably be the normal equivalent.

-Obviously the most glaring flaw are the graphics, pretty poor by today's standards. Could see it being an issue for some.

-Did find the AG centre dragged a little, and those annoying spore bombs.

And this:

-A pretty big annoyance in the game: You can toggle party-selected and individual-selected. Often, however, you forget about that, which leads to my entire party firing at something, and if stuff like that happens three times in a row, your party is out of ammo. It's my fault, I know, but I need to see a clearer sign of it being the entire party taking the same action.

Is so very very annoying.

Once you get more comfortable with the controls you shouldn't have this problem. I've been playing most of the day, and haven't had this issue a single time.

Been playing it for a few hours so far and I'm really enjoying, surprised to be honest.

-Thought the keyword system would annoy me more, thought it might seem like the dialogue wheel, but I'm fine with it. Although full lines are still more preferable.

-Really like how the skills have been incorporated into the game. Most excessive use of skill checks I've seen in a long time.

-Combat is decent, it seems a bit easy but then I started on what would probably be the normal equivalent.

-Obviously the most glaring flaw are the graphics, pretty poor by today's standards. Could see it being an issue for some.

And this:

-A pretty big annoyance in the game: You can toggle party-selected and individual-selected. Often, however, you forget about that, which leads to my entire party firing at something, and if stuff like that happens three times in a row, your party is out of ammo. It's my fault, I know, but I need to see a clearer sign of it being the entire party taking the same action.

Once you get more comfortable with the controls you shouldn't have this problem. I've been playing most of the day, and haven't had this issue a single time.

Maybe it's just me, seven hours and I'm still doing it.

• Like 1
cylon_basestar_eye.gif

And this:

Maybe it's just me, seven hours and I'm still doing it.

I should clarify, I've put in, err, around 200 hours during the beta.

I just created a new party.  I stopped playing the beta after about five hours or so (I think it's around five hours) because I hate spoiling the finished game.  Anyhow, some things still seem unpolished to me in the final product, but the game, even in beta, was surprisingly well done.  I'm looking forward to playing it.  However, I got tired of waiting and some folks complaining about how Sawyer likes Darklands got me hankering for it again, so I purchased it on GoG and I'm going to finish that.  At the rate I play them, it might be a month before I get to WL2, but it looks *good*.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

And this:

Steam tells me I played the game for 70 hours already (incl. beta time) and yet I still do this occasionally. :D

• Like 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

I found the save files easy to edit with wordpad. I think I will make all my characters have 10 charisma, and I'll boost that toaster repair skill to 10. The rest I'll leave as is. Level 50 seems to be the cap and you can get up to 5 extra attribute points through level up.

Still haven't started going through the game.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

I'm going to roll up a new party, but being unfamiliar with the system what would make for a good crew?

there is no rolling, but we know what you meant.

we played the beta many moons ago, but things has changed since that time. for instance, awareness were the Ultimate ability. there were some assault rifle builds with high awareness and coordination that were silly powerful. however, it does look like abilities has been balanced, and we assume some o' the useless skills has been made more useful. even so, we plan on making one character with 10 intelligence and 10 charisma to be the face-man and to pick up a few extra skills. there were a med npc you you could recruit early if you wished... do a search if you wanna be spoiled. she actual sucked 'cause o' lowish int, but am believing inxile fixed that flaw, so you can probable avoid taking any med skills if you wanna wait a couple hours to get your first medic. 

spread out your weapon types 'cause ammo can be scarce. 1 sniper and 1 assault, and whatever else. assault rifles builds were win in the beta. sniper rifles were nice, but am thinking you need 'bout 7 ap to make your sniper useful... boost awareness.

lockpick and safecracking were having ubiquitous opportunities for usage.

med skills is also essential, but as we mentioned there is a joinable for those skills if you are a tad patient, and if her intelligence were improved as we read.

demolitions were a limited but useful skill... our demolitions guy also had perception. were many perception checks, but am not sure if we would call it an essential skill.

alarm disarm didn't work in beta, and computer science worked incorrect... am believing both is now useful, especially computer science.

animal whisperer were also non functioning in the beta.

leadership were not working right for us in beta, but am gonna give it a try with our face-man.

we got considerable use from brute force and all the dialogue skills in the beta, but obviously you is gonna needs pass on a few useful skills... and intelligence is odd 'cause is useless at some tiers. is no reason to have a 4 int... 3 intelligence gets you 2 points per level and 5 int gets you 3 pts. is stoopid, but it is what it is. be careful.

there is one joinable npc that is recruitable right at start, but don't depend on her skills when building your party.

in general, we prioritize coordination and awareness for ranged combat characters. speed and str does get some use with melee characters. speed is also beneficial for your medic. we like to have many skills, so we never have less than a 3 int and usually go with 5, but intelligence and charisma were kinda dump stats for combat characters in the beta.

the bad thing about wasteland 2 is you can build a bad party and get 15 hours into the game and feel like you should start over.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I haven't played the beta for months but I did know one of you characters should have the medic skill. Toaster is good to have on one of your characters.

When I rolled up my party I was pretty much like this with putting stats in anything.

PeZzCyK.jpg

But I seem to be getting through it okay. I'm not too worried if I get 3/4 through the game and I have to start again. I'm having a blast. :lol:

• Like 1