RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS

You could, but you'd be missing the point.  It's the same criticism that was leveled by some at Sleeping Dogs (a very different type of game, mind you).  Sure, you could get through the game just mashing X (and Y to counter occasionally) and win the fights, but it's way more fun to pull off impressive looking combos utilizing all the different buttons.  By the same token, you could win most fights in Bayonetta just mashing one or two buttons, on the easier difficulty levels, at least, but the whole point of these Devil May Cry types of brawlers is to pull off various cool looking combos to defeat your enemies as stylishly as possible.  Bayonetta has a very robust combo system utilizing most of the buttons on a gamepad.

The ultimate game in that genre was Devil May Cry 3. It was hard as balls and it punished button mashing like hell. Still remember that witch level to this day.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

Sniper Elite V2 is a piece of ****, so I am not surprised part III is getting destroyed by journos 

I like it.

• Like 1
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

But it isn't getting destroyed? At least not by everyone. Reviews had been mixed up to positive, as far as I've seen a few hours ago.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

This bit from the Divinity: Original Sin release announcement might be of special interest:

Exploring the Galaxy: Larian and GOG team up

We’ve been secretly working on supporting GOG Galaxy, the new online multiplayer platform from GOG.com and are happy to announce that full GOG Galaxy integration will be available for Divinity: Original Sin.

GOG is still working on launching Galaxy, so before that happens, our Kickstarter backers who have selected GOG.com as the digital distribution platform will be able to use Direct IP or LAN options to play in multiplayer. Once GOG Galaxy launches (by the end of August, the folks at GOG tell us), they will be able to take advantage of all the features this DRM-free online gaming platform offers.

Bit of a bummer Gog didn't manage to get its stuff done in time for the D:OS release, think I'll be going with Steam for now as it just makes multi-player just so much easier (not to mention that I'm expecting there'll be kinks that will need to to be worked out when Galaxy releases).

Edited by marelooke

Isn't this the game where you only have to mash one button to win?

You could, but you'd be missing the point.  It's the same criticism that was leveled by some at Sleeping Dogs (a very different type of game, mind you).  Sure, you could get through the game just mashing X (and Y to counter occasionally) and win the fights, but it's way more fun to pull off impressive looking combos utilizing all the different buttons.  By the same token, you could win most fights in Bayonetta just mashing one or two buttons, on the easier difficulty levels, at least, but the whole point of these Devil May Cry types of brawlers is to pull off various cool looking combos to defeat your enemies as stylishly as possible.  Bayonetta has a very robust combo system utilizing most of the buttons on a gamepad.

No my friend that is an exaggeration, there is no way in Sleeping Dogs you could get through the martial arts fight by pushing one button. No way :skeptical:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

But it isn't getting destroyed? At least not by everyone. Reviews had been mixed up to positive, as far as I've seen a few hours ago.

Has the mandatory "This game is misogynistic" review popped its head yet? 

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

village_idiot.gif

I think it was on Eurogamer.

Nope, they must have forgotten to enforce their new editorial policy.

Edited by Nepenthe

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Well, can you snipe women in the game ? Not fair if they are not represented well as targets.  And will their slow-mo kill cams be as detailed ?

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Games are not considered misogynistic just because its a popular theme at the moment or because  there is some sort of SJ conspiracy by gaming journalists. Why do think the game should be rated as misogynistic? Are there valid reasons for it, I can't see why anyone would suggest that considering the fact its a sniping game where you kill men and women

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Games are not considered misogynistic just because its a popular theme at the moment or because  there is some sort of SJ conspiracy by gaming journalists. Why do think the game should be rated as misogynistic? Are there valid reasons for it, I can't see why anyone would suggest that considering the fact its a sniping game where you kill men and women

Bruce, thanks to "whatever wave this is, feminism" and in particular to Anita; games as misogynistic is a foregone conclusion. Because that was the central argument of Tropes vs Women, which was not a documentary but a campaign.  A documentary might have a theme but it ultimately sticks to what it can prove, just like science might have theories but they ultimately have to be backed by facts. A campaign promotes an idea, it fights for it and supports it, they don't stop because facts prove them wrong.

I'm afraid that Anita is less of a scientist and more of a politician and since it was her videos which cemented the incursion of feminism into gaming, and now the majority of gaming media seems to support it with the same zeal she is my example as to why the whole argument is boogers.

You can infer intent from an artist's statement but saying that the Mona Lisa is a LGTB friendly painting because it was DaVinci in drag is not only a stretch, but it politicizes the painting. In my mind politics are the dirtiest of human inventions, when you bring them into art (which is about beauty) you're soiling that beauty. If games are art then all that feminism has accomplished is to dirty them.

The fact is that a game needs not be really misogynistic it only needs to be that way in order to suit the reviewer's agenda of promoting equality and it helps if its not a major release from one of the publishers who own the gaming press. They get to keep their feminist cred and don't lose their position because they gave a bad review.

• Like 5

village_idiot.gif

Bruce, thanks to "whatever wave this is, feminism" and in particular to Anita; games as misogynistic is a foregone conclusion. Because that was the central argument of Tropes vs Women, which was not a documentary but a campaign.  A documentary might have a theme but it ultimately sticks to what it can prove, just like science might have theories but they ultimately have to be backed by facts. A campaign promotes an idea, it fights for it and supports it, they don't stop because facts prove them wrong.

I'm afraid that Anita is less of a scientist and more of a politician and since it was her videos which cemented the incursion of feminism into gaming, and now the majority of gaming media seems to support it with the same zeal she is my example as to why the whole argument is boogers.

You can infer intent from an artist's statement but saying that the Mona Lisa is a LGTB friendly painting because it was DaVinci in drag is not only a stretch, but it politicizes the painting. In my mind politics are the dirtiest of human inventions, when you bring them into art (which is about beauty) you're soiling that beauty. If games are art then all that feminism has accomplished is to dirty them.

The fact is that a game needs not be really misogynistic it only needs to be that way in order to suit the reviewer's agenda of promoting equality and it helps if its not a major release from one of the publishers who own the gaming press. They get to keep their feminist cred and don't lose their position because they gave a bad review.

Okay I see what you saying. I know we have discussed this before but I don't think Anita represents the Feminist movement in its entirety. Her movement is influential and vociferous but not all feminists agree with  her on all topics, for example I'm a feminist but I don't agree with some her campaigns

That same view would apply to gaming websites and gaming journalists. For example if you take RPS which I consider a good benchmark for raising valid concerns around SJ issues, I know most of you guys don't , they have a review on this game and there is absolutely no mention of misogyny at all

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/06/30/sniper-elite-3-review/#more-216823

So I wouldn't worry too much about this game being painted with the misogyny brush by any serious gaming reviewers :)

John Milton 

Just out of curiosity - would you consider the game misogynistic, if you could shoot enemy soldiers through their ****?

In any case. I can also guarantee you that no "serious" gaming site would ever dare to call Sniper V3 what it is: a childishly vicious game - a bit like happily pulling legs off spiders. And that this particular game seems to be designed for people who pulled the legs off spiders, and kept doing it as a hobby.

The injustice must end! Sign the petition and Free the Krug!

probably because sniping is about finding a good position, making that one shot, then sneaking away before they can spot you and kill you with superior fire power. 

Sniper Elite has nothing of that. oddly enough New Vegas does. and Far Cry 3 to some extent

also, you could snipe women and children in NV, if that's a selling point for some  :grin:

Edited by sorophx
Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

It's time UU showed up Wolfenstein 3D for the pretender that it was. :p

Has Lord British come back from space yet?

village_idiot.gif

Guest Slinky

Ultima Underworld franchise next to make its return

Not really Ultima, though the original game was only slightly Ultima to begin with. I really did enjoy the game when my dad got it on the same CD as Wing Commander 2, but could never get very far due to the minor issue of it crashing to DOS whenever I tried talking to non-hostile NPCs.

Awesome, there sure is room for games like that. The last one I know of was Arx Fatalis twelve years ago.

Ultima Underworld franchise next to make its return

Not really Ultima, though the original game was only slightly Ultima to begin with. I really did enjoy the game when my dad got it on the same CD as Wing Commander 2, but could never get very far due to the minor issue of it crashing to DOS whenever I tried talking to non-hostile NPCs.

Yay, this is amazing news !!!

Nice post, I will be following this one closely :dancing:

John Milton 

if they took all the money they spent on teh Witcher 3 and instead funded a development of several Infinity-like RPGs, we would have at least 3 more games the size and quality of Baldur's Gate 2. damn fools don't know what to do with their money 

• Like 1
Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

if they took all the money they spent on teh Witcher 3 and instead funded a development of several Infinity-like RPGs, we would have at least 3 more games the size and quality of Baldur's Gate 2. damn fools don't know what to do with their money 

There is not a snowballs chance in hell that they can carve out a piece of the MOBA pie. I really don't know what they are thinking. Unless they have some revolutionary spin to the moba genre, I doubt they would even make a splash.

• Like 1

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP