RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS

World War 1 was a global set of dominos. Austria-Hungary wanted serbia, serbia gave them an excuse to invade, russia declared war on austria, Germany declared war on Russia because of their defense pact with Austria, Britain declared war on Germany because of defense pact with russia. France declared war on Germany because they were beat in the Franco-Prussian war and wanted revenge. Germany was blamed for Austria/Serbia's mess which led to WW2. Pointless war.

You missed the beginning, Austria-Hungary invaded(annexed) Bosnia. What do you think Franz Ferdinand was doing in Sarajevo, where Princip offed him.

Sarex why do you Serbs always want to start world wars?

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

World War 1 was a global set of dominos. Austria-Hungary wanted serbia, serbia gave them an excuse to invade, russia declared war on austria, Germany declared war on Russia because of their defense pact with Austria, Britain declared war on Germany because of defense pact with russia. France declared war on Germany because they were beat in the Franco-Prussian war and wanted revenge. Germany was blamed for Austria/Serbia's mess which led to WW2. Pointless war.

You may want to recheck the declarations of war.

I'm surprised this wasn't branched into a WWI thread already

no vidya game news to report?

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Sarex why do you Serbs always want to start world wars?

Kind of sketchy to claim 'always', no ?

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

No, no, it's always. We started wars in Korea, Vietnam, Iraq, Gulf, Panama, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Libya... Oh wait... But in the end it was for their own good, right?

Not to mention that we paid the largest price in WW1 and still participated in WW2 when we didn't have to, unlike some countries.

And if we look at the history it was Franz Ferdinand who started the war, you can't invade/annex a country without repercussions.

Edited by Sarex

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

No, no, it's always. We started wars in Korea, Vietnam, Iraq, Gulf, Panama, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Libya... Oh wait... But in the end it was for their own good, right?

I knew it !!!

I always suspected that Serbia was behind all those conflicts, working  surreptitiously to manipulate the USA in doing its nefarious and diabolical bidding. 

People talk about the Illuminati but I say nay, we should be really concerned with the Serbinati, they are real and powerful and there influence permeates all aspects of our society...and you have confirmed it !!!

:p 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

And if we look at the history it was Franz Ferdinand who started the war, you can't invade/annex a country without repercussions.

I thought it was Franz Joseph, Emperor of Austria/King of Hungary who annexed Bosnia-Herzegovina, not his nephew Archduke Franz Ferdinand.

IIRC Franz Ferdinand actually disagreed with Franz Joseph on the treatment of Serbia (although I believe to what degree was always unclear) and some have speculated his stated desire for more autonomous rule for distinct ethnic groups in the empire (I recall Czechs and South Slavs were mentioned) might have been sign that had Franz Ferdinand lived and taken the throne from Franz Joseph (already 84 and only to live two more years) that a reunited Serbia might have been achievable via diplomacy (not sure I buy it, but it's certain an opinion I've seen espoused more than once).

All this to say, I think Valiant Hearts is using WWI as a backdrop for the story as opposed to really be about fighting WWI.

• Like 2

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

All this to say, I think Valiant Hearts is using WWI as a backdrop for the story as opposed to really be about fighting WWI.

:lol:

Would you consider yourself a verbose person?

John Milton 

:lol:

Would you consider yourself a verbose person?

I've never met a simple sentence I could not make into something far more complex, convoluted and less easy to read and understand the intent of, despite all my efforts to achieve the clarity of crystal spring water.

• Like 3

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I knew it !!!

I always suspected that Serbia was behind all those conflicts, working  surreptitiously to manipulate the USA in doing its nefarious and diabolical bidding. 

People talk about the Illuminati but I say nay, we should be really concerned with the Serbinati, they are real and powerful and there influence permeates all aspects of our society...and you have confirmed it !!!

:p

... Serbia... Sarejevo!?

CnC_Brotherhood_of_NOD_by_HKHSBC.jpg

Edited by Calax

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I thought it was Franz Joseph, Emperor of Austria/King of Hungary who annexed Bosnia-Herzegovina, not his nephew Archduke Franz Ferdinand.

IIRC Franz Ferdinand actually disagreed with Franz Joseph on the treatment of Serbia (although I believe to what degree was always unclear) and some have speculated his stated desire for more autonomous rule for distinct ethnic groups in the empire (I recall Czechs and South Slavs were mentioned) might have been sign that had Franz Ferdinand lived and taken the throne from Franz Joseph (already 84 and only to live two more years) that a reunited Serbia might have been achievable via diplomacy (not sure I buy it, but it's certain an opinion I've seen espoused more than once).

Franz Ferdinand is often credited with the United States of Greater Austria idea, setting up a decentralized federation of ethnic states with the Archduke as the head of state, but I believe he was more in favor of a Triple Monarchy, splitting the south slavic areas from Hungary and establishing them as a separate monarchy under the Austrian crown in the same way Hungary was separate

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Uh yeah...that was my mistake.

As for Franz Ferdinand being a swell guy who was just misunderstood and wanted to help the Slavs, well that is just revisionist history. There is already an active campaign to make Princip in to a common murderer who killed an innocent guy. I have no doubt that in a decade Serbia will be the bad guy in the history books.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

Well, I remember back in high school here in the US when Princip and the entire Black Hand were dismissed as "anarchists". So in some ways what I'm seeing now is more informational than those days (as I think from my limited readings on the subject that only Cabrinovic (sp) - the bomb guy - self-identified as an anarchist) albeit I don't think history is ever told without an angle to it.

Well, I remember back in high school here in the US when Princip and the entire Black Hand were dismissed as "anarchists". So in some ways what I'm seeing now is more informational than those days (as I think from my limited readings on the subject that only Cabrinovic (sp) - the bomb guy - self-identified as an anarchist) albeit I don't think history is ever told without an angle to it.

Well, the bigger the c***, the more likely they are to self-identify as an anarchist in my experience.

• Like 3

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

elite:d

:drool:

yes, this will be the perfect game to just enjoy the wastness of space and do nothing else.

I just hope that there will be a singleplayer component to let you do that, I get enough of player-player interaction in WoW.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

oh my goodness. and the timing couldn't be more perfect, right as I am going on summer break

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

You will be able to choose how muhc player-player interaction you want. You can even play fully offline if you want.

http://elite-dangerous.wikia.com/wiki/Elite:_Dangerous_FAQ#Is_.22Elite:_Dangerous.22_an_MMOG.3F

Nice, I hope that the "You won't get the developer injected events" part does'nt mean you only get to fly around watching pretty systems but that you can still do some simple missions and such.

On another note;

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

You will be able to choose how muhc player-player interaction you want. You can even play fully offline if you want.

http://elite-dangerous.wikia.com/wiki/Elite:_Dangerous_FAQ#Is_.22Elite:_Dangerous.22_an_MMOG.3F

Nice, I hope that the "You won't get the developer injected events" part does'nt mean you only get to fly around watching pretty systems but that you can still do some simple missions and such.

On another note;

Gah! Ninja'd this time!

The version 0.0.0.0.01 footage in the media section looks rough and is far from indicative of the final product, but if it goes the Planetside 2 route then I have high hopes for it.

Otherwise...coooome onnnnnn Harlequin class for the Eldar!

Edited by Agiel
  • Like 2
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling