RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS

jeebuz, I just googled it, and they are making a witcher-themed MOBA  :facepalm: it's for mobile phones, though, so there's a chance they'll make good money with it. although, I think they overestimate the setting's popularity 

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

if they took all the money they spent on teh Witcher 3 and instead funded a development of several Infinity-like RPGs, we would have at least 3 more games the size and quality of Baldur's Gate 2. damn fools don't know what to do with their money

There is not a snowballs chance in hell that they can carve out a piece of the MOBA pie. I really don't know what they are thinking. Unless they have some revolutionary spin to the moba genre, I doubt they would even make a splash.

They are apparently trying very hard to prove my point that they're just as much about trying to make a cheap, quick buck as the next publisher ;)
  • Like 1

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Quite strange.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Given how much money there is to be won at these things female gamers likely do have a good case to kick up a fuss about this. Guys as well probably. If the female league is smaller then do they win a smaller pot? If they don't then do female teams have an easier time than male teams to get rich? Wouldn't it be easier all around for co-gender teams or is this the host's way of hosting two leagues and making more profit? (Not that there is anything necessarily wrong with that one) It seems like it's going to pinch some teams who could have made a career out of gaming though so it does suck for someone. 

Edited by Serrano

looks unnecessarily gruesome 

• Like 1
Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Given how much money there is to be won at these things female gamers likely do have a good case to kick up a fuss about this. Guys as well probably. If the female league is smaller then do they win a smaller pot? If they don't then do female teams have an easier time than male teams to get rich? Wouldn't it be easier all around for co-gender teams or is this the host's way of hosting two leagues and making more profit? (Not that there is anything necessarily wrong with that one) It seems like it's going to pinch some teams who could have made a career out of gaming though so it does suck for someone. 

The excuse in LoL, the only e-sport I follow, is that mixing genders in teams will lead to issues like poor performance, potential relationships that could/will go bad thus leading to disbanding and similar things of that nature. Which, I guess, I could see being a problem, as the majority of the pros are in their teens (hormones roaring). Worth adding is that it's not forbidden by the rules as far as I know.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

The excuse in LoL, the only e-sport I follow, is that mixing genders in teams will lead to issues like poor performance, potential relationships that could/will go bad thus leading to disbanding and similar things of that nature. Which, I guess, I could see being a problem, as the majority of the pros are in their teens (hormones roaring). Worth adding is that it's not forbidden by the rules as far as I know.

One of the teams does have a female substitute, or so I was told when spotting her during a match. Who knows for sure though. *shrug*

One of the teams does have a female substitute, or so I was told when spotting her during a match. Who knows for sure though. *shrug*

LCS/OGN teams? First time I heard of it.

I never realized that competitive gaming was such a big business.  I figured that for it to be lucrative there would have to be a sizable audience.  I tried watching gaming on TV before and I literally fell asleep on the couch.  Maybe I was just watching the wrong type of game?  I think it was Starcraft 2, but I say that with less than 100% certainty.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I never realized that competitive gaming was such a big business.  I figured that for it to be lucrative there would have to be a sizable audience.  I tried watching gaming on TV before and I literally fell asleep on the couch.  Maybe I was just watching the wrong type of game?  I think it was Starcraft 2, but I say that with less than 100% certainty.

Well it was only big in Korea before SC2 came out. After it came out Blizzard did some really ****ty move which I don't remember and it screwed over the Korean tournament makers and broadcasters. Thus they crippled it in Korea from which it still hasn't recovered. The sad thing is that it didn't bring Blizzard any more viewers or revenue, ie. it only weakened e-sport as a whole.

Queue in League of Legends. Over 4 years Riot pushed e-sport back in to high gear and now it has more viewers then most sports. Dota2 did it too, but not in those numbers and not as soon as LoL.

As for being a big businesses, I don't know how it's in the Dota2, but in LoL the most popular players make from 500k to 1mil a year. So yeah it kind of got big and it's only getting bigger.

Wasn't it the missing LAN support for SC2? Blizzard wanted to get some tournament moneys too, but failed hard at getting it.

I watched some gaming tournaments too back in the days, and I also thought it was super boring. I like it more to actually play games, than watching someone else do it.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

To me it don't seem very good way to get more professional female players when you forbid even those that are in scene to compete in your tournaments.

I could understand them bit better if there was own series for women, but as there is not, I just can't understand what has gone through their mind when they decided that this is good idea. It should noted that at least one of world highest ranked Heartstone players is female (Hafu). 

• Like 1

They are apparently trying very hard to prove my point that they're just as much about trying to make a cheap, quick buck as the next publisher ;)

Such scepticism and cynicism! CDPR is bringing their gamer friendly attitude to the MOBA genre, the game is not pay-to-win, they said so!

"It will be a free game. A genuinely free game. You know we are fair with gamers. We are known for giving away stuff for free. We believe free is fair. So we wanted to realise our philosophy also with the MOBA game." [..] "We were actually approached by somebody who told us it's wise to have pay-to-win in the game because it monetises better. But we said it's an absolute no go. It's against our policies. It's against the philosophy we have at CD Projekt Red."

'All items and heroes can be unlocked by playing the game, including what are considered vanity items (armour and weapons), but you can spend real money to speed up the process.

"You will mostly pay for saving time," Zielinski added. "If you don't want to farm for your hero you can buy him. And also there are vanity items you pay for. But there will be absolutely no pay to win elements in our game.'

Despite avoiding MOBAs like the plague I'm sure that's totally different from the usual attitude!

all CDPR has to do is copy DOTA 2, Valve pretty much gave the world the perfect formula 

Walsingham said:

all CDPR has to do is copy DOTA 2, Valve pretty much gave the world the perfect formula 

LoL would disagree with you, but w/e to each his own.

• Like 2

To me it don't seem very good way to get more professional female players when you forbid even those that are in scene to compete in your tournaments.

I could understand them bit better if there was own series for women, but as there is not, I just can't understand what has gone through their mind when they decided that this is good idea. It should noted that at least one of world highest ranked Heartstone players is female (Hafu). 

http://ie-sf.com/bbs/board.php?bo_table=iesf_notice&wr_id=105

IeSF decided to make men only tournaments open to all and women only tournaments will ran as orginally planned. And it seem that open version of Tekken Tag Tournament 2 tournament is added to list.