What are you playing now

Wait, are there multiple endings or something? I finished it once and thought that's how it is.

Just one ending, but

after the credits you can see a white light(search light?) and heard a helicopter.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

I probably should try a few different strategies for the criminal convoy missions in Watch Dogs.  Right now all I do is wait for them to come near me, and combination grenade launcher/IED proximity charge and it's over.

I like blowing them up with a steam vent.

I'm not good at gauging distance for those kinds of things.  It works for me once in a while during car chases (using the steam vents on vehicles behind me/just slightly ahead of me), but when I'm standing still and a car is moving toward me but is still around 100 meters away, I suck at judging when to activate (I barely seem to get those blue notices to "neutralize" during convoys).

I always found parking a car about 200 m in front of them, and stepping into the middle of the road with the automatic grenade launcher worked wonders for the convoys...

Also, when you've done, what.. 10? You get rewarded with that anti-vehicular in-game version of a Barret 50 cal. that's quite fun.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I usually just bring one of those dump trucks, find a long straight piece of road and thunder into the convoy at top speed. Nothing beats the satisfaction of sending ten little vehicles flying through the air as burning wreckages using your heavy vehicle as a battering ram.

This is actually where the engine in Watch Dogs shines its brightest. I remember doing head on collisions in GTA4 and even when going 200 km/h, you barely scratched the cars. They never broke. In Watch Dogs, on the other hand.. You can actually demolish several cars at once through one big impact. It is also when the game is at its most "next gen": after blowing up a caravan using vehicles and weapons, and you look around you, the carnage can be quite impressive. 20 dead bodies, shrapnel and car parts litter the area everywhere, ten cars are burning, 50 other cars are in various shapes around you and there are pedestrians running and screaming everywhere. Massive mayhem.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Kingdoms of Amalur. Finally decided to go Chakram and Faeblades. The lore might be a bit boring but combat is fairly fun. I wish the Elder Scrolls series had fun combat. I'd probably spend 200 hours on those games if that was the case.

Dark Souls is your game, Labadal. Great combat and lore.

Worst combat and controls I have encountered in a game in a long time. It's not even that the combat is that bad, but the unresponsiveness and inaccuracy just kills it for me.

Played Dark and Demon's Souls on PS3. Demon's is one of my favorite games on the console. Stopped playing Dark once I hit Blight Town. Framerate was unbearable. I di enjoy the game up until that point. Once my backlog is conqured, I might give the PC version a try.

Waiting for Bloodborne so I don't feel the need to grab Dark Souls 2.

Worst combat and controls I have encountered in a game in a long time. It's not even that the combat is that bad, but the unresponsiveness and inaccuracy just kills it for me.

To each his own, I guess. If the framerate issues in Dark Souls hadn't made me quit, I think I might have rated it higher than Demon's Souls.

I felt that I was in complete control of my character. If one expects fast paced combat a la Devil May Cry and its ilk, I can see why one would be disappointed.

Playing S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Lost Alpha: was going to wait for one more patch before playing, since people had been reporting a lot of problems, but they're taking too long for me to wait any longer, and I figured, hey, if it doesn't work, nothing lost, right? But if it does work (to some degree, anyways), I can get a taste of the game.

Well...there are a bunch of problems, (note: skip past this paragraph if you don't care about the technical problems they'll probably fix in the upcoming months). The new DX10 render is basically nonfunctional for me - shadows go crazy, I get white artifacts all over the place, and it's generally crazy. Looks pretty good when it's working, though...though I think I need a better GPU to be able to use it properly, as the FPS dips around 30 FPS on max settings. I've never been able to stand the Stalker DX9 render, so I'm playing on the DX8 static lighting render for now, and even that looks at least decent, so I'm fine with that. I still get weird stuttering every once in a while, though, where it'll pause for about a second every five seconds for a few minutes, and then it goes away. I also get weird lighting artifacts from my flashlight - my hands/gloves look like I become a chemical burn victim when I have it on in the dark, for example, and it occasionally makes everything blue. You also don't apparently make any sound when you walk...or even run, or sprint, which means you can sprint right up to an enemy and be completely undetected as long as they're not looking at you. I'm assuming that's not how it's supposed to work, but it's not *that* big of a deal, at least not that I've noticed thus far. Uh, whenever I reload after dying, the game crashes, so I have to clear the current game first, and then reload. Not a big deal on static lighting and having on the game on an SSD - the only game I've installed thus far on it   :p - which means the game loads pretty fast anyways, but if I were on the higher end settings on a regular HDD, that'd get pretty annoying really fast if I were dying a lot.

One random CTD not related to the aforementioned "reload" CTD thus far, which isn't half-bad, I daresay, not for what's basically a brand new Stalker game, anyways. Those are the problems I can think of right now. As for the positives...uh, well, holy crap, these levels are so amazing, it actually *hurts* me to think of how boring and sad vanilla Shadow of Chernobyl's, my favorite Stalker game, are by comparison. There are underground passages, rivers, ponds, small swamp areas, *real* forest-like areas - not Stalker's occasional trees that are just sort of there, but really actually completely surrounding and blocking your view type stuff - more similar to the Red Forest, which is probably my favorite ShoC area, except more, since not everything is dead, :p. It's actually a bit overwhelming: I'm so used to vanilla ShoC's levels, levels I completely know from top to bottom...to suddenly be placed in levels where I see vague similarities, but where it's still completely different, and bigger, and much more detailed...I'm only in the Garbage thus far, but it and the Cordon have both really impressed me thus far. Uh, monsters and other Stalkers are placed mostly well. Saw a group of loners try and overtake a military outpost in the Cordon - they died horribly, but it was fun to watch, nonetheless. Bloodsuckers are freaking dang near completely invisible in *broad daylight*, which is really freaking scary to think about if you have to face them at night.

There are rolling hills pretty much everywhere that really put the other Stalker games' mostly flat or slowly ascending/descending terrain to shame. Cordon and the Garbage are...semi-recognizable, and have similarities to their ShoC incarnations, but gosh dang, they're just...so much better...not to mention bigger feeling.

Gunplay could be better, I think, but I think the same thing about default Stalker gunplay, and honestly, it's not even too bad by my standards. New voice acting ranges from a little poor - not terrible, but definitely could be better - to actually pretty good. Some random ladders that I think you should be able to use you can't for some reason - possibly a bug, not sure, but they look like you should be able to go up them, and I think it'd be cool to be able to.

Overall, I'm having a really extremely positive experience thus far. Honestly, after years of watching and waiting for it to be released, I was almost positive before starting to play that I had inflated my expectations and exactly how much a mod could do to a game, but, if anything, I really hadn't been expecting *enough*, and all the images they released beforehand for all these years did not do it justice at all. I took a look at the world map just a little while ago: good lord, there are *so* *many* areas, and they look so big. It's actually quite daunting to think of what I'll be seeing assuming the game doesn't fall to bits as I keep playing. Are there problems? Yes, absolutely. But they're not systematic, I don't think, and neither do I believe they're unfixable.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 2

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

To each his own, I guess. If the framerate issues in Dark Souls hadn't made me quit, I think I might have rated it higher than Demon's Souls.

I felt that I was in complete control of my character. If one expects fast paced combat a la Devil May Cry and its ilk, I can see why one would be disappointed.

Never expected dmc combat, just expected decent controls. The least I expect from controls is they be consistent. As for combat, now that I think about it, what I really disliked were the animations, they seemed so unpolished and bad.

But as you said, to each their own.

Never expected dmc combat, just expected decent controls. The least I expect from controls is they be consistent. As for combat, now that I think about it, what I really disliked were the animations, they seemed so unpolished and bad.

But as you said, to each their own.

I will have to agree that animations aren't the best. That can't even be argued with.

Sorry, but I can't share those points. Like Labadal, I always felt in complete control of my character.

Broken Age on the iPad. The tablet medium is perfect for point and click adventure games.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Took down Marauder Shields.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Broken Age on the iPad. The tablet medium is perfect for point and click adventure games.

It is indeed.  I suspect it would be extremely well suited to turn-based strategy also.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I know that most games are guilty of this, but as I'm playing Watch Dogs I can't help but think what a terrible brother Aiden is. 

His sister is being held captive by some dude who has a serious grudge against him

, but meanwhile Aiden's out stealing cars for people, solving investigations that have zero to do with him, and even playing the odd drinking game or game of chess.  No rush or anything. :p

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I thought "hey, I'll play some Transformers to relax."

And the RB button on my 360 controller doesn't work. I've lost a battery pack and two 360 controllers previous. Microsoft certainly did not go with the highest bidder on these things.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Super Amazing Wagon Adventure is annoying me because I want to use the gamepad for the wagon sections but it's rubbish at controlling the on-foot sections. Blah. Unsurprisingly I also have to run it in a small window, because otherwise the pixels would be 1cm each across.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Guest Slinky

Super Amazing Wagon Adventure is annoying me because I want to use the gamepad for the wagon sections but it's rubbish at controlling the on-foot sections. Blah. Unsurprisingly I also have to run it in a small window, because otherwise the pixels would be 1cm each across.

I had to google what game that is.

gw-13418154881061.gif

Well, just beat it for the first time with the default wagon, took probably just shy of double digit attempts, getting the double barrel pistol really turned it around. But there's another 15 wagons in the game I haven't tried...

Been going with the randomly generated party each time, and the first time it gives me an all-female party I win, there might be a lesson there. :p

Edited by Humanoid

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

The Bureau: XCOM Declassified

The combat reminds me of Mass Effect and even some of the powers are basically Mass Effect moves. I'm liking it so far. My complaint is that the AI isn't the smartest so I manually issue order instructions to my companions on a regular basis. This game actually has me excited for the next mass Effect game if BW can do a decent job.

Heroes of Might & Magic V (Sylvan Campaign)

I metaphorically dusted off this game since I left it unfinished 2 years ago and I want to see how it now compares to King's Bounty: The Legend. There were a few differences for sure

1) Square tiles suck

2) Any units with an equivalent in Kong's Bounty will always be more boring in HoMM

3) Movement in battle is dumb in HoMM5. It doesn't matter if you have 10 movement speed, if you just nudge your character forward by 1 tile, the game considers your turn ended

4) Thank god I don't have to grind as much in HoMM5

The final mission in the Sylvan campaign almost kept me from finishing it. Even on Easy (I don't like multitasking, which means exploring while defending my territory), the main fight was something else. This Vampire Lord Nicolai, he had several very annoying gimmicks: he'd always resurrect if you didn't finish one of two optional quests, he grows stronger every week, he will become stronger by magnitudes if he resurrects after you beating him with sub-quests unfinished, and he upon resurrecting would often teleport and conquer one of the Necropolises just like that.

I first beat him when he still had a "Hard" rating against my hero. Upon resurrecting, his rating was immediately "No Chance" and I beat him with very few casualties the first time so it wasn't because Findan's army was severely weakened. He had over sixty spectral dragons! And every other unit in quantities that'd match that strength. My jaw hit the floor and I had to throw one of my spellcasting heroes at him to soften him up so Findan could finally beat him in rematch once all the spectral dragons in the map keeping the sun blocked were beaten.

That was simply insane. He at very least tripled his army if not quintupled due to a single trial&error-ish mistake

Edited by Nordicus