What are you playing now

Alright, hit lvl 32 on my Blademaster build in Grim Dawn.  Still really enjoying the game.  I believe I've made it through all the content available.  Have gone through the Steppes of Torment which is currently only 3 levels with a mini boss at the end.  Have a bunch of loot with a bunch of set pieces.  One thing I will say is that the hits feel really good in this game.  I like the lore of Van Helsing games, but it just doesn't feel like you're "hitting" anything when you strike.  I would even say that the hits feel better in Grim Dawn at present than they do with Diablo 3.  Gonna try and post an image for the first time of my character at present.  Thanks to those who recommended the imgur site. 58BqK3W.jpg

Hopefully this works out.  But anyway, really having a good time with this game and do look forward to each patch and more content and can't wait for the release.

Edited by SadExchange
  • Like 1

Alright, hit lvl 32 on my Blademaster build in Grim Dawn.  Still really enjoying the game.  I believe I've made it through all the content available.  Have gone through the Steppes of Torment which is currently only 3 levels with a mini boss at the end.  Have a bunch of loot with a bunch of set pieces.  One thing I will say is that the hits feel really good in this game.  I like the lore of Van Helsing games, but it just doesn't feel like you're "hitting" anything when you strike.  I would even say that the hits feel better in Grim Dawn at present than they do with Diablo 3.  Gonna try and post an image for the first time of my character at present.  Thanks to those who recommended the imgur site. 58BqK3W.jpg

Hopefully this works out.  But anyway, really having a good time with this game and do look forward to each patch and more content and can't wait for the release.

Yeah, hitting enemies with a melee weapon feels appropriately chunky and powerful.  The bodies exploding is maybe a bit too over the top, but satisfying nonetheless.  Similarly, firing guns just feels powerful, and the recoil animation is just right, something that was lacking in the very early builds of the game.

Also, they're really nailing down the balance in the game, another area where Grim Dawn is superior to the Val Helsing games, in my opinion.  Occultist skills tend to be a little underpowered at the moment, especially if you're going to a primarily Occultist build, but it's a continuous process getting the masteries and the multitude of mastery combinations just right and Crate Entertainment have the game pretty well dialed in right now.

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I've beaten the game 4 times already (well ok, one was that NG+ or whatever), am trying to do things differently in each one.   Draft choices are Jacob, Jack and Legion.

Does it actually change anything anyway?

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Yeah, hitting enemies with a melee weapon feels appropriately chunky and powerful.  The bodies exploding is maybe a bit too over the top, but satisfying nonetheless.  Similarly, firing guns just feels powerful, and the recoil animation is just right, something that was lacking in the very early builds of the game.

Also, they're really nailing down the balance in the game, another area where Grim Dawn is superior to the Val Helsing games, in my opinion.  Occultist skills tend to be a little underpowered at the moment, especially if you're going to a primarily Occultist build, but it's a continuous process getting the masteries and the multitude of mastery combinations just right and Crate Entertainment have the game pretty well dialed in right now.

I agree completely, every enemy basically being chopped into giblets is a bit much, but it does save on memory I'm sure without having bodies on the ground.  And I will also say that the game has great balancing so far.  I wanna try an Occulist run next trying to be a summoner, so I'll have to check out that balance but so far melee and guns have been pretty solid.  

I wanna play the 2nd Van Helsing game, but think I will wait a bit to see some more patches released as I've heard it still has some issues, including the balance you've talked about.

I've beaten the game 4 times already (well ok, one was that NG+ or whatever), am trying to do things differently in each one.   Draft choices are Jacob, Jack and Legion.

Does it actually change anything anyway?

Jack and Jacob, probably nothing or some less EMS.  Legion though, I am not sure, maybe it locks out the "best" ending for the Geth-Quarrian war.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I agree completely, every enemy basically being chopped into giblets is a bit much, but it does save on memory I'm sure without having bodies on the ground.  And I will also say that the game has great balancing so far.  I wanna try an Occulist run next trying to be a summoner, so I'll have to check out that balance but so far melee and guns have been pretty solid.  

I wanna play the 2nd Van Helsing game, but think I will wait a bit to see some more patches released as I've heard it still has some issues, including the balance you've talked about.

Crate is working on balancing Occultists, among other things, and that mastery will supposedly get a bit of a boost in the next update (B19), along with 2-handed melee weapons and other goodies.  I'm pretty excited for 2-handed melee weapons, though it will mean respecing my Witchblade as I use a couple skills that require a shield.  I'm sure balancing 2-handed melee weapons will be a long process (as it has been with rifles), as you lose a slot and along with it all the magical bonuses you could have had in that slot and the attachment you could have put into it, along with whatever extra damage or defense you could have gotten from either a second weapon or a shield or caster focus.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I really hate the car chase mechanics in this game.  Firstly, the handling of the car is awful to begin with.  Then there's the fact you simply cannot out race a cop car.  It's like they made it so you absolutely had to use the different obstacles (red light, car blocker guards, etc.) in order to shake them.

The problem is the cop cars are literally on your tail, and sometimes side by side with you, so it's near impossible to use those world obstacles to your advantage.  It's also awkward because you have to look behind you to use them right, and which means you can't see what's happening ahead of you.

Just really awkward, IMO.  More frustrating than fun.  I haven't been able to complete a single distraction contract because I can't shake the cops.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I really hate the car chase mechanics in this game.  Firstly, the handling of the car is awful to begin with.  Then there's the fact you simply cannot out race a cop car.  It's like they made it so you absolutely had to use the different obstacles (red light, car blocker guards, etc.) in order to shake them.

The problem is the cop cars are literally on your tail, and sometimes side by side with you, so it's near impossible to use those world obstacles to your advantage.  It's also awkward because you have to look behind you to use them right, and which means you can't see what's happening ahead of you.

Just really awkward, IMO.  More frustrating than fun.  I haven't been able to complete a single distraction contract because I can't shake the cops.

Remember you can use the Focus ability to slow time down even during car chases. That's meant to enable you to use those features.

Also, if you get the flashing Q will go blue as you go past if it will neutralise people chasing you. So if you keep an eye out for that, you don't have to try looking behind you for the timing.

I never found that much problem with the cop cars, if you whip down a couple of alleys and shortcuts, combined with hackable obstacles, they're fairly easy. The odd thing was that if they're a short distance away I could seem to outrace them, but if they're close to you, it's like they're glued. The pain comes with the helicopters. Even when you get the hack that lets you disable them briefly, it's a major pain to target them when they're directly overhead and you're in a car.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I thought the car mechanics were awkward when I first started playing. The worst thing was how none of the cars have any engine brakes (resistance from the engine slowing down the car when you release the throttle). It feels like the game camera is heavy and pushes the car forward. Very strange feeling. But I got used to it. I also got used to the car handling in general and now it's fun to whip around corners, avoiding pedestrians and taking out cop cars/enemy cars.

And yes, the game is intentionally made so you can't outrun almost anything, no matter how fast your current car is (looks a bit funny when you're driving a Ferrari-like car at top speed and this ****ty Mustang-like cop car slowly eases up beside you). But you learn how to use the obstacles (of which you can unlock several cool ones the higher level you are) and it's actually really satisfying timing the obstacles right and getting a slow-motion scene of pile-ups behind you.

It's a game mechanic that went from frustrating to satisfying for me.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I wish you could disable the Neutralize prompt in the game as I like to time the hacking to take out pursuers or pursuees myself.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

I really hate the car chase mechanics in this game. Firstly, the handling of the car is awful to begin with. Then there's the fact you simply cannot out race a cop car. It's like they made it so you absolutely had to use the different obstacles (red light, car blocker guards, etc.) in order to shake them.

The problem is the cop cars are literally on your tail, and sometimes side by side with you, so it's near impossible to use those world obstacles to your advantage. It's also awkward because you have to look behind you to use them right, and which means you can't see what's happening ahead of you.

Just really awkward, IMO. More frustrating than fun. I haven't been able to complete a single distraction contract because I can't shake the cops.

Remember you can use the Focus ability to slow time down even during car chases. That's meant to enable you to use those features.

Also, if you get the flashing Q will go blue as you go past if it will neutralise people chasing you. So if you keep an eye out for that, you don't have to try looking behind you for the timing.

I never found that much problem with the cop cars, if you whip down a couple of alleys and shortcuts, combined with hackable obstacles, they're fairly easy. The odd thing was that if they're a short distance away I could seem to outrace them, but if they're close to you, it's like they're glued. The pain comes with the helicopters. Even when you get the hack that lets you disable them briefly, it's a major pain to target them when they're directly overhead and you're in a car.

Also, when they are next to you, it's easier to ram them against heavy traffic... :D

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

To anyone who has played both Grim Dawn and Path of Exile

How are they similar, how are they different, which is more worth playing?

Much obliged!

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

To anyone who has played both Grim Dawn and Path of Exile

How are they similar, how are they different, which is more worth playing?

Much obliged!

I've put a far amount of hours into both gams and while they have a few similarities, I will say Grim Dawn Is much more approachable. I feel Path of Exile to be for the true hardcore gamers who have hours upon hours to invest and time to learn the complex spider web known as the class system.

While I enjoy Path of Exile, there is a clear cutting off point where you either proceed to invest days upon days of your life hunting for gear or just give up on the character and start over. And that's only if your class you have made on your own will make it past level 50

grim dawn is more casual and while their class systems give variety, there is enough wiggle room to not feel that you've invested hours into something that will just not work. I myself have been finding that Grim Dawn "just feels good" to play reminding of my long stretches of Diablo 2 and more recent Tian Quest. The story and lore is more interesting and the loot, in my opinion is better

While Path of Exile's crafting at first seems more complex and fun, you'll soon begin to realize that 80-90% of the crafting material is really worthless. But Grim Dawn has a ways to go and Path of Exile is free to play. Right now, it's an easy choice for me. Path of a exile was great for a time but when I found out that I literally came to a crossroads of progression based off of extremely chancey RNG or putting dozens of hours into it, I just didn't have the time nor did the game have the pull for me. Hope that wasn't rambling and could somewhat be perceived as helpful.

The Focus ability takes some getting used to.  It was comical when I attempted it during a pursuit.  I activated it way too early, so it was like a slow motion crawl toward the blockade.

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Murdered Soul Suspect.

I thought it looked interesting so I gave it a go. It's somewhat moody and mostly atmospheric, it's got some interesting ideas, and the whole walking through walls thing makes maps a touch more confusing. It could probably do with some form of in-game map, especially one that shows the various clues/collectibles you've found. Although it's not that big so its easy to learn where you're going to and from and what streets are open and which are blocked off by various ghostly "memories" of old building and such.

It's based around one medium-to-small "hub" that counts as the streets of Salem, and various locations around it that only open up once you reach that point in the story. The story is quite linear and will probably take under 10 hours to run through. It's fairly average writing, nothing too spectacular, nothing too bad.

It tends to be based on  : go to a crime scene / location, have a cut-scene, look around for clues, discover clues, potential cut-scenes of "memories" you pick up, a couple of conversations (some in cut-scene, some where you actually pick questions to ask), then a game mechanic for putting clues together to figure out what happened. cut-scene,  then move on to the next part of the investigation and repeat. 

Occasionally broken up with wandering "demons" that are long lost ghosts that now try and drain all ghosts they see. That's mostly irritating, and I think put in to give some element of "combat" to the game. But it pretty much sucks. The demons all have fixed patrol routes, and you have to defeat them by sneaking up behind, pressing and holding R, and then at some random time you get a mini quick time event (random choice of a directional key + right or left click) and you destroy the demon. If you don't get it right, they turn around and kill you.

I'd say it was that mix of somewhat entertaining, but disappointing because it could have been more. The didn't push the pulp noir aspect enough, it was too linear, the hub and areas could have been a touch more expansive, and the side-quests really needed to be fluffed out more -  There were about five, and they mostly consisted of a short conversation with a ghost and searching the nearby areas for clues to relate to their death (said search usually being 3-6 clues you needed to find).

A good idea, but somehow lacking in execution.

• Like 2

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Thanks for the review Raithe.

I concur, I was waiting for some feedback about this game

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

What the heck is with the constant intrusions of online players into my single player game of Watch Dogs?  Seems like every half hour, someone new is either trying to steal information from me, or I'm being given the option to join various challenges.

I did have to laugh at one of the players.  I get notification that I'm being hacked and I have to find him before he steals my secrets.  Dude must be new to the game, because he was having trouble hiding around a corner not far away from me.  He stuck out like a sore thumb.  So I walked over to him and shot him as he struggle to draw his gun while crouching behind a wall.

It annoys me when people complain about the graphics in Watch Dogs. Seriously!

Watch_Dogs2014-6-7-15-57-8_zps90e6fb25.j

Watch_Dogs2014-6-6-21-41-30_zps22ddf483.

Watch_Dogs2014-6-6-21-39-41_zps4d7f005d.

The graphics really are awesome, even more so in motion. The amount of lights and shadows are just spectacular, especially at night when you can turn off an entire city block and watch the town go dark, or just run into pole after pole along a road and watch it get darker and darker.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!