What are you playing now

It annoys me when people complain about the graphics in Watch Dogs. Seriously!

The graphics really are awesome, even more so in motion. The amount of lights and shadows are just spectacular, especially at night when you can turn off an entire city block and watch the town go dark, or just run into pole after pole along a road and watch it get darker and darker.

I think it's the little things that catch up and make people complain. The reflections and water graphics are amazing. It falls down a bit with the shadows, there's no dynamic shadows.

But yup, I have to agree, the graphics are pretty damn good and I don't see any real issues to complain about. Just minor niggles that aren't as next-gen as they originally talked about.

Edited by Raithe

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I remember that on release, FNV crashed my system because of sound issues (the sound got really stretched, with lots of feedback until it all ended in a bluescreen). But I have no idea how I fixed this. Later when I got a new mainboard and everything it disappeard and I was happy since.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

I finished the prologue in The Witcher 2 and am now starting the game proper.  I had forgotten that when you first arrive at Flotsam, Roche introduces himself to the guard as Emhyr var Emreis, Spice Merchant.  I can see it just now, the White Flame Dancing on the Barrows of his Enemies moonlighting as a spice merchant by night.  :lol:

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I've just had two days off and I've played so many things. I burned through The Banner Saga at long last and I loved it so much, if I had one complaint it's that even cycling through characters there weren't enough battles for me to use everyone and develop them all in one play-through.

I've also been playing a lot of games in 3d because I realised that I just haven't been doing that much lately. I looked up a list of games that work well on the latest drivers and basically gorged myself on 3d goodness. It's funny how games like Modern Warfare that seem to have way too many unnecessary "dramatic" close-ups actually make more sense with 3d glasses. It's not just the developers being lazy melodramatic hacks like I used to think, they're actually showing off a bunch of really cool effects you only notice in 3d which makes each scene where the players gets a hand-up or a gun shoved in his face ect. different from each other and entertaining. "Oh look, look at the smoke effects whisping around Price as he comes out of the smoke" or "Oh look at Ghost dragging me while bits of the lawn fly everwhere and smoke and explosions and gunfire are going off all around us" with the added depth, the sensation of real depth, it just changes the perspective of a lot of these scenes entirely, they come across as being much more vivid.

Also. Witcher 2 which is one of the games I had actually bothered to play in 3d during my abstinence. It looks damn near perfect basically. At it's worst it looks like Geralt is a little man you could reach forward and pickup, who is performing on a stage with other slightly seemingly less 'real' looking actors. At it's best it's literally like you're looking through a window. 

Other 3d games worth a mention, Doom 3 BFG edition. Doom 3 is one of those games that looks okay in 2d but it looks a bit like, I dunno, well sculpted claymation? It doesn't look at all bad but it's not spectacular either. In 3d, it can look pretty damn real. All those tight indoor environments and the enemies look and move very naturally in 3d, it creates a better illusion than a lot of other FPSs that do textures and models well but are still animated like Unreal Tournament bots and don't use as high quality and numerous dynamic lighting. You quickly appreciate just how fluid and life-like the animations and effects are. Humans still look a bit meh but I was stunned as the massive impact the glasses have on that game, the quality shoots up sharply as it makes a big difference to creating the lone survivor immersion feel ID were aiming for. 

Battlefield 4 also works in 3d now, it still doesn't quite live up to battlefield 3 simply because the content rather than the engine itself isn't as good. But man is it fun seeing skyscrapers in 3d. 

Edited by Serrano

On to ME3. So nice to have more stuff do with weapons than in ME2.  Plan to have Jack, Jacob and Legion die messed up and I lost Jack, Jacob and Grunt instead.  Meh.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

The side quests I'm enjoying in Watch Dogs so far:

-Gang hideout

-Crime in progress

-The Fixer one dealing with stopping a convoy

-The investigations

The Side quests I find annoying/frustrating:

-All the other Fixer contracts

-Those code things you have to scan on buildings

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

For those that have played the new Thief, how can I know when the "swoop" mechanic is actually going to work?  I honestly have no idea when this thing is going to work when I push Space.

So, you're telling me that swooping is bad in thief 4?

Meanwhile, I've been playing more watch dogs over the weekend. The writing isn't very good and the game suffers from the Bioshock syndrome, ie. things keep going catastrophically wrong to stretch out story elements. Some missions also have blatantly unnecessary car chaces slapped in to extend them, which is a pity, since the chaces are pretty awesome in small doses.

Hate that there's just auto-save, some missions I really would have liked to replay.

Love the fact that people are idiots, I've won 2 intrusions before they started because the guys were doing the classic GTA driving and I just whipped out my Biometric AR and shot them in their cars before I even got the message... :D Love a game which actually rewards stealth and blending in!

Agree with what was said about the car physics, they're a bit odd. But I do love my Luciano.

Have enjoyed the investigations, haven't done any gang hideouts or fixer contracts, probably should.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Anyone already played Witcher 2 with the combat rebalance mod? I am doing it right now and it's quite cool- but I have no idea where to get the grapeshot recipe. I need it for the nekker contract, but no trader has the recipe. Meh.

/edit: I just read that you'll have to unlock it via skill. Meh.

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

I won't go as far to say that the swooping mechanic is bad as I've only started the game but the game says, push space bar, and then you'll swoop, however that doesn't appear to be true. I would like to know if this is a bug or just that it only works in certain circumstances?

I'm playing it with k/m; should I play with a controller, would this mechanic work smoother?

Edited by SadExchange

So I've been playing Injustice, which is a stunning looking fighting game.  The storyline is ok, and I'n been working through it a few fights at a time.  My kids noticed it, and being that they love all things superhero, they preceded to push me off my computer and take over.  I decided to go out to Gamestop and pick up a decent fighting game for their PS3 so I could get my PC back.  I went with Capcom versus Marvel, which is pretty fun for them.  The menus are a bit hard to navigate for them, unfortunately, but they'll get the hang of it.

Why not buy them Injustice GOTY for PS3?

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

Why not buy them Injustice GOTY for PS3?

I thought about it, and I also looked at the more kid friendly Playstation All Stars thing, but decided to go with the cartoony marvel game.  It was about half the price, and it gave me a chance to see a different game.  Injustice is also pretty dark, I try and stick to the cartoony violence with my young kids when given the option.  :p 

• Like 2

I won't go as far to say that the swooping mechanic is bad as I've only started the game but the game says, push space bar, and then you'll swoop, however that doesn't appear to be true. I would like to know if this is a bug or just that it only works in certain circumstances?

I'm playing it with k/m; should I play with a controller, would this mechanic work smoother?

I just saw this and you've may have already figured it out, but you have to be moving when you hit the space bar to swoop -- you can't be standing still.  If you want to swoop past a lit area, hit W to walk toward the lit area and then hit space bar to swoop past (while still holding down the W).  It's pretty vague in the description of the mechanic, but it will always work as long as you are moving when you swoop. 

So I've been playing Injustice, which is a stunning looking fighting game.  The storyline is ok, and I'n been working through it a few fights at a time.  My kids noticed it, and being that they love all things superhero, they preceded to push me off my computer and take over.  I decided to go out to Gamestop and pick up a decent fighting game for their PS3 so I could get my PC back. 

why not Mortal Kombat? same studio made it

• Like 1
Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

So I've been playing Injustice, which is a stunning looking fighting game.  The storyline is ok, and I'n been working through it a few fights at a time.  My kids noticed it, and being that they love all things superhero, they preceded to push me off my computer and take over.  I decided to go out to Gamestop and pick up a decent fighting game for their PS3 so I could get my PC back. 

Other than the obvious gore factor, my kids won't recognize any of the characters, and so it will be way less engaging.

I finally got around to beating SR4 and I have to say that it's been the most fun I've had playing a game in a long time

Currently oscillating between cell phone movie star game (don't judge me) and Fire Emblem: Awakening

• Like 3

Free games updated 3/4/21

I finally got around to beating SR4 and I have to say that it's been the most fun I've had playing a game in a long time

There is one thing left to truly complete your playthrough:

Do a They Live movie night.

• Like 1

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

On to ME3. So nice to have more stuff do with weapons than in ME2.  Plan to have Jack, Jacob and Legion die messed up and I lost Jack, Jacob and Grunt instead.  Meh.

Unless you are so morally opposed to such a thing as using game guides, I believe on the Mass Effect wiki there was a (frighteningly) exhaustive guide to getting specific combinations of people killed on ME2.

• Like 1
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

Guest Slinky

Other than the obvious gore factor, my kids won't recognize any of the characters, and so it will be way less engaging.

They don't recognize MK characters? What have you been teaching to these poor children!

If you love them, you will play Mortal Kombat movie to them on repeat until "Get over here!" replaces "Could you come here please?" in their vocabulary.