Our top three guesses for your English dialect:

1. US Black Vernacular / Ebonics

2. American (Standard)

3. Singaporean

Our top three guesses for your native (first) language:

1. English

2. Dutch

3. Romanian

Close enough :) (Dutch, but I do believe I speak English better than Dutch by now.)

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

I have issues with some of the questions

We did go the beach

That's not actually incorrect, if you weren't able to  say 'We went to the beach' it is, but in a different context it would be fine.

Does the test actually tell you at any point that it's incorrect? I saw no grading of any of the actual individual answers.

I do agree that it's a valid sentence though, particularly if it's in response to the question "Did you end up going to the beach today, or did you go somewhere else?" "We *did* go to the beach, and it was lovely".

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

1. American (Standard)
2. Canadian
3. Singaporean

1. English
2. Swedish
3. Norwegian

I got the same thing.  We are language bros.

• Like 1

We did go the beach

That's not actually incorrect, if you weren't able to  say 'We went to the beach' it is, but in a different context it would be fine.

Does the test actually tell you at any point that it's incorrect? I saw no grading of any of the actual individual answers.

I do agree that it's a valid sentence though, particularly if it's in response to the question "Did you end up going to the beach today, or did you go somewhere else?" "We *did* go to the beach, and it was lovely".

Note the sentence does not have a "to" in it.

We did go the beach

We did go to the beach

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Its easy to miss, unfortunately.  In my experience, just like when you drop certain vowels the reader can still read the sentence, dropping prepositions can lead to a person reading the sentence and mentally inserting the correct preposition into the phrase.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Dialect guesses:

1. Australian

2. South African

3. Canadian

Top three guesses for native language:

1. English

2. Dutch

3. Canadian

The funny thing is that I've barely had any exposure to any of the dialects the quiz suggests. But my English is a hodgepodge, that's what you get when you learn the English language as a second language while exposed to a mixture of American and British television and education in British English with fellow pupils who all preferred to speak American English. I try to keep to British English as much as possible but with so much exposure to American English it's damn impossible not to be influenced by it.

... Also, what language is Canadian? Is that what Inuit speak?

• Like 1

Never attribute to malice that which can adequately be explained by incompetence.

We did go the beach

Note the sentence does not have a "to" in it.

We did go the beach

We did go to the beach

Makes sense, we don't actually read by looking at the order the letters appear in but recognise groups of meaning and quickly move on to the next thing. Possible flaw with the methodology as the same mistake would almost certainly have been caught if we were hearing it rather than reading.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

pfft, it thought that i was singaporean or welch.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

1. South African
2. Canadian
3. New Zealand

1. English
2. Dutch
3. Norwegian

Interesting.

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Dives worthy of South American football.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Star Trek Stabilised...  What it actually looks like when the camera isn't shaking...

http://youtu.be/5nKDQBwpCJg

I'm not sure I will ever tire of Turn Down for What parodies.  :lol:

• Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

1. Australian

2. Welsh (UK)

3. Singaporean

Surprisingly correct! I do not speak any kind of American dialect (but I can pretty easily slip into one, and most of those American accents, they offer a very comfy pronunciation. You can almost clinch your teeth while doing it.)

1. English

2. Norwegian

3. Swedish

Well, almost. You have to turn this upside down, and then insert German in the middle, and then it would be correct. :)

Edited by IndiraLightfoot

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Dialect:

1. American (Standard)
2. US Black Vernacular / Ebonics
3. Singaporean

First Language

1. English

2. Dutch
3. Norwegian

Heh, engrish gud.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP