The Funny Things Thread.

Rosbjerg

What happens if you don't? 

They bend you over and the whole class paddles your behind(with a paddle) for every centimeter you were off, at least that is how I was thought.

• Like 2

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

If it's during an "exam", you could fail and not advance to the next belt level - if you had other mistakes as well of course. But it's similar to getting a grade lower on a paper due to messy writing and order.

• Like 1

Fortune favors the bald.

I always assumed any flawed kata resulted in seppuku.

Wrong time period, judo was the martial art of the samurais.

Really wrong time period, Judo wasn't created until just before the turn of the 20th century.

If you were talking samurai, then it was more jujutsu.

o O (sorry, my pedant came running out there..)

• Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Soooooo Paddy Power might've cut down a part of the rainforest to encourage England..

9dyekQ2.jpg

If true.. How on Earth they thought this would ever be smart thing.. Is beyond me.. It's  almost hilariously stupid! (source)

As for something actually funny.. Steam summer sales are approaching..

gC6tCLs.gif

• Like 3

Fortune favors the bald.

Really wrong time period, Judo wasn't created until just before the turn of the 20th century.

If you were talking samurai, then it was more jujutsu.

o O (sorry, my pedant came running out there..)

They are mostly the same thigh, but factually you are right.

Edited by Sarex

And this is why 7 year old me quit Karate.

I wanted to learn self-defence, not a glorified dance routine.

"In combat, spontaneity rules; rote performance of technique perishes."

-Bruce Lee

• Like 3
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

What's your dialect. a little timewaster quiz. I got Standard American and they guessed I was from Norway. Close enough heh

Our top three guesses for your English dialect:

1. US Black Vernacular / Ebonics

2. Welsh (UK)

3. Singaporean

Our top three guesses for your native (first) language:

1. Portuguese

2. English

3. Dutch

No idea if that's good or bad. I learned my english on the internet over the past 8 years, which means I learned from native english speaker, as well as people who don't speak any english but try anyway. :D

Though, it couldn't find out that I am german. Maybe I've been on the internet for too long already.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Well that is not the fault of karate but you teacher, though it probably isn't even his fault. I attended Kyokushin Karate classes and while Katas were learned there was also sparing. But either way noone is going to let a 7 year old fight. If you stayed and applied yourself learned the Katas which teach you form and technique you would have eventually learned to apply that technique in real life.

You made a very ignorant statement.

• Like 2

Discipline and body coordination are probably your best tools when it comes to protect yourself from surprise attack. Of course internalizing counters and actions against different kind of grabs and hits also helps but more often than not you need to improvise in blink of moment what you do, which is becomes much more instinctual when you have good discipline and body coordination that gives you better ability to strike, grab or throw from any position and better body coordination means that you have much better ability to maximize effectiveness of you muscle strength. Although building your discipline and body coordination is slow and long process, which needs lots of dedication, which is reason why self-defense courses that focus on common attacks and easy ways to defend them are probably better for people that don't have dedication to practice several times per week over years or who need to have at least some knowledge how to defend themselves fast. 

So karate and other similar martial arts that focus on building person's discipline and body coordination gives person excellent bases to protect themselves, but they aren't miracle cure that make you super fighter in few lessons, but proven processes that build you up to at least decent in self defense and fighting in general. And I would not dismiss learning dance routines as something that don't help you defend yourself as dancing is excellent way to build you body coordination and many dance styles also build up your muscle strength and overall discipline and they also usually build your awareness what other person is doing, which are things that one needs to build up to become at least decent in fighting. 

• Like 1

Except.. there's a sport called MMA which has pretty much proven that karate is **** when it comes to fighting. So yeah.. dance routine.

• Like 2

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Except.. there's a sport called MMA which has pretty much proven that karate is **** when it comes to fighting. So yeah.. dance routine.

Except that mma is not a sport but an organization, the new fledgling mma classes are just a mix of other marital arts.

It may not be the best style of fighting withing rules of MMA, although Lyoto Machida has had quite successful career in MMA, but of course one could argue that he is not pure karateka. 

It may not be the best style of fighting withing rules of MMA, although Lyoto Machida has had quite successful career in MMA, but of course one could argue that he is not pure karateka. 

Oh, don't get me wrong I don't think Karate is the be all end all marital art, but it certainly isn't a "dance routine". My brother would claim that judo is the best martial art, but then again he is a judo instructor so he is a little biased.

Edited by Sarex
  • Like 1

Soooooo Paddy Power might've cut down a part of the rainforest to encourage England..

9dyekQ2.jpg

If true.. How on Earth they thought this would ever be smart thing.. Is beyond me.. It's  almost hilariously stupid! (source)

So Paddy pulled a prank on the internet - A for effort guys! I fell for it heh..

1RZqMKk.jpg

• Like 4

Fortune favors the bald.