RPG Codex's Top 70 PC RPGs

Sorry if this has been posted here already - I did a search but couldn't find it. 

Anyway, we at the Codex have recently published this Top 70 PC RPGs as decided by user voting, complete with user-submitted mini-reviews. Might be interesting for some people here, since PS:T is #1 (surprisingly enough for the Codex) and most of Obsidian's games are included too:

http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=9453

• Like 6

Can't help but lol at Arcanum's and Vampire's high placement (half broken, half incomplete games in the top 10, really?), Fallout 2 being above BGII ... among other things. 

Many of the pre Fallout/BG ones are borderline unplayable and don't belong in any top list made in 2014 except as a historical footnote.

Thanks for bringing it here though.

Edited by Drowsy Emperor
  • Like 2

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

not to mention that PST is far from the best RPG ever.

• Like 1
Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

It's what people at the Codex voted, so "errors" in the list are not easily blamed on a clueless single writer... ;) I am in agreement with the placement of the Fallouts before BG2, but IWD should have ranked higher imho. Glad to see Bloodlines and Arcanum up there :)

Now for some of the reviews *goes off to read*

Edited by samm

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority

@sorophx Its certainly not the best game in terms of design, but it is the best RPG story ever written.. probably the best story of any game, regardless of genre. 

Btw, people should bear in mind that according to my last count (back in the day when I had a higher tolerance for tedious tasks) there were around 170 or so cRPG's (minus MMO) released altogether, so getting into the top 70 ain't exactly as prestigious as it sounds. The number is a guesstimate now, since I stopped maintaining the list ages ago, but it shouldn't be too far off.

I'd say that a top 20 would more than accommodate the best that the genre has to offer, but, that's like my opinion, man.

Edited by Drowsy Emperor

that's what scares me, people actually voted that way. clueless masses...

Morrowind and New Vegas below Troika's games (Arcanum has no business being in the top 10, but Codex is a sick little puppy, can't help that), flippin' Dark Souls in the top 15. oh, I shouldn't have clicked that link. now I won't be able to sleep tonight

as for PST's story, I've said it before and I'll say it again: story doesn't make a game, and I'd never ever replay PST simply because it's a bad game, I'd much rather read the book version

Edited by sorophx
  • Like 1
Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

if kissinger posts his 10 favorite political anecdotes, we would read... 'cause is kissinger and am expecting he gots more than a few good stories

am not sure what is the fascination with internet lists in general, but a list from rpg codex?  is posting the link the equivalent o' a rpg nerd selfie or somesuch? we all gets creeped out by the morbidly fat and comically hirsute fifty-something male in a tiny pink bikini?  a haha moment we will wanna forget asap? 

spent way too much effort responding to this. jokes on us s'pose.

*shrug*

HA! Good Fun!

ps needless to say, we did not use the link. have had bad experience with rpg codex links regardless.

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 3

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I'm just glad that there's an authoritative poll from a prestigious institution determining, once and for all, that F2>BG2 and Planescape Torment is the greatest RPG of all time. Will help with arguments with all those- now objectively wrong- people who believe differently.

I don't agree with the list wholesale, but it's certainly better than those RPG lists that have CoD- you play the role of a shooter dude, duh- and the like on them.

(I actually was going to stick the list into the Random News thread, but decided it was a bit too close to the top 50 one it's based on and which was discussed when it was released. Still, good effort and good resource from the Codex, whatever nits people may have)

• Like 2

Fallout and Vampire: Bloodlines have the best stories in games, they're the way stories should be told in games. People talk about Bloodlines but due to Bethesda legacy New Vegas has just as many problems as it, and it's just not as good as Bloodlines in many areas while still being far above other developers abilities. No Bethesda game is above a Troika game.

• Like 2

I didn't agree with the order either, but which list would please everyone? This one looks better than most.

Instead of worrying about the order have a read of the reviews - 2 or 3 different opinions for each of the 70 games as well as screenshots. Very enjoyable read imo.

"but it is the best RPG story ever written.. probably the best story of any game, regardless of genre."

No.

"Btw, people should bear in mind that according to my last count (back in the day when I had a higher tolerance for tedious tasks) there were around 170 or so cRPG's (minus MMO) released altogether, so getting into the top 70 ain't exactly as prestigious as it sounds. The number is a guesstimate now, since I stopped maintaining the list ages ago, but it shouldn't be too far off."

Define CRPG. That number can be huge or miniscule depending what kind of RPGs you are counting.

\The list is fine and not rage worthy. It's Codex list so it'll be biased towards Codex approved games. Not shocking.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Gamefaqs top 10 lists

->

Gamefaqs Top 10 RPGs ever

#10: Tales of Symphonia (GC)

While the Tales franchise has achieved great success and has countless installments, Tales of Symphonia was absolutely terriffic. Not only was the story fairly good and somewhat unique, but the battle mechanics and pacing of the game were worthy of mention. Sure, the game had several fundamental flaws, but was still one of the most enjoyable RPGs to date. Featuring two player compatability gains this game extra points for me, even if the camera angle was the focus of many complaints. Throw in cooking food to boost your stats and the desire to scour the planet in search of new recipes and titles, and you've got an immersive and entertaining time. Just for extra measure there is the Grade system, which effectively acts as the greatest form of New Game + that has ever existed, allowing you to choose which accumulated goodies and special features would carry over to the next play through.

#9: Eternal Sonata (PS3)

Eternal Sonata was somewhat a knockoff of Tales games, but stood on it's own because of several unique innovations. With a turn-based 3D combat system where each character's turn was limited based on a timer, the option to play with one or two other players, and a score of fun and capable characters, this game quickly hopped into my top ten RPGs of all times. This game also included a light and dark based special ability system, where the attack you executed was directly related to whether you were standing in the shadows or in the light. With all sorts of special instances to accomodate this light/dark system, battles remained extremely fun and thoughtful even after they've been fought several times. Throw in the party levels system which changed the pacing of battle, making it more intense and fast paced the further you got into the game as well as a New Game + system that greatly increased the difficulty of the game, and you've got yourself a sure-fire winner.

#8: Xenosaga Episode I: Der Wille zur Macht (PS2)

Xenosaga: A game I bought, played for fifteen minutes and then shelved for nearly two years because I thought it was so terrible. I finally picked it up and played it through, only to play it through two more times within a couple months. Battle was unique with the stock feature that allowed you to store up attacks by passing your turn in order to execute powerful moves. There was also a basic but effective character customization system, deeply involving and intriguing plot, a host of good playable characters, and even portions of the game where you'd explore and fight in your A.G.W.S. (mech). Xenosaga also featured one of the few minigames I've ever enjoyed playing: Xenocards. You'd build your deck of cards and fight against other decks (a la Magic the Gathering), using a wide variety of cards. In addition, Xenocards was two player so you could play against a friend.

#7: Final Fantasy V (SNES)

That's right, I consider FFV to be the best FF game to ever exist, and the only FF game worthy of making my top ten. With only four playable characters you were forced to utilize a class changing system in order to fully customize your party as you saw fit. This was also the last Final Fantasy which adhered to the original concept of Final Fantasy: the four crystals. With each new crystal that got destroyed you would get a new handful of classes to change into, almost all of which were useful in at least one way. As you spent time as a certain class you would unlock abilities which you could equip after reclassing, and eventually you'd return to the Bare class where you could completely customize your character while simultaneously equipping them with any equipment types in the entire game. In addition there was a fair amount of comic relief, two huge worlds and a third decently sized world, and all the other FF classics ranging from airships to moogles and chocobos. There were a lot of secrets to be discovered, and who doesn't love picking from twelve legendary weapons as you near the end of the game?

#6: Parasite Eve (PS)

Parasite Eve deviated from the standard cookie cutter RPGs that proceeded it back when Squaresoft was in it's prime. This game featured an explosive plot and cutting edge cutscenes when it came out, as well as a unique and innovative combat system. During the real time combat you could move around to dodge attacks while building up your action points. When you had enough action points you could attack, use Parasite Energy or items. Most the weapons (worth using) were firearms, which expended ammunition as you used them. You could customize your firearms in several different ways and even further had special abilities (Parasite Energy) which in effect was the same as magic. While Parasite Eve lacked free roaming and many aspects of other great RPGs, it accomodated this with it's unique concepts and compelling plot.

#5: Suikoden III (PS2)

Suikoden III's battle system is one of the funnest battle systems I've ever used in the conventional but innovative old-school style. Characters would move around on the battlefield to execute attacks, and their position greatly affected the way the rest of the battle would play out. With around 108 playable characters and about a dozen different skills to customize each character with you could assemble a party in whatever way you desired. In addition, certain characters could be paired in combat to create a unique effect. One of the main characters could be paired with his Griffin, allowing him to mount the Griffin in combat. Dragon riders could mount their dragons and so on and so forth. Equipping runes acted to further customize your party as you could either put actively used magic runes on a character, or passive abilities like blink. The story of Suikoden III was also well done, focusing on three different groups of characters in a time of regional conflict, all revolving around the concept of the True Runes. You could choose which group you would follow through whichever chapters in whatever order you desired, and all groups finally came together for the final chapter, allowing you to control one of the most customizable and powerful parties you'll probably ever use in an RPG.

#4: Secret of Evermore (SNES)

Playing in a similar fashion to the Secret of Mana games was Secret of Evermore. A tale about a boy and his dog who are thrust into a fantasy world of epic proportions. Spanning from the tribal lands of Bugmuck to the Roman era, medi-evil times and even a futuristic setting, the hero and his dog had to fight tooth and nail to return home. There were several weapon types with which you could gain proficiency and unlock powerful moves, and an alchemy system which allowed you to use powerful magic assuming you had the proper ingredients and recipe. Secret of Evermore took you through fantastic settings with an enjoyable active battle system and a pet dog to keep you great company.

#3: Chrono Trigger (SNES)

Like it or hate it, Chrono Trigger stands on it's own in the RPG world. There has never been a game like it, not even it's 'sequel' Chrono Cross. When you accidentally travel through time during a small town festival your journey through the ages begins. Chrono and his band of about half a dozen allies must fight in a unique and enjoyable combat system all the way to Lavos in order to stop the eventual destruction of their world. The most unique thing about Chrono Trigger which has never been duplicated is their dual and triple tech system. When two characters could both act in combat they would be capable of performing a dual tech (or a triple tech if all three could act), which essentially combined a move from each character into a single move that was extremely powerful. This added a new dimension of thought to the battles, as you could choose to either execute each tech seperately or as a dual tech. This system allowed you to form a party of your liking not only based on each member's abilities, but what dual and triple techs were available. With a good amount of free roam, a hidden special character, and really cool accessories, Chrono Trigger chiseled it's place out in RPG history.

#2: SaGa Frontier (PS)

Yet another game made by Squaresoft in their heyday. Saga Frontier allowed you to play five or six different heroes on their own unique quest. Some tried to save their worlds, others focused on defeating their personal enemy, but each character's story was unique. You'd travel through the galaxy, visiting different planets and recruiting almost a score of allies to help you with your cause. Certain characters would only join your party when you were playing a certain story, others would always join. Unique things would happen or certain places could be visited depending on which story you played. Red was a superhero who, when all your party members were dead in combat (to preserve his secret identity), could transform into his superhero form and unleash devastating attacks; while the robot (can't remember his name, T-256G or something) hero could change his body type to alter his base stats and equipment. Characters could use a range of weapons from bare fists to swords and guns, as well as magic. As you used a weapon type more and more you were likely to unlock new moves to execute in combat, and some characters learned moves for their preferred weapon type more quickly. Even further, if you attacked with physical weapons often you were more likely to gain physical stats, if you used magic a lot you were more likely to gain magic stats. Balancing physical abilities with magical abilities played an important role. The random nature of items dropped by enemies made each play through different, even when playing the same story. Saga Frontier is like Chrono Trigger in the fact that there has never been a game that was similar to it, even it's sequel Saga Frontier II.

#1: Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter (PS2)

While not the biggest Breath of Fire fan, Dragon Quarter is without a doubt the best RPG ever, in my opinion. In a quest to find the fabled "Sky" you had to make your way through a massive dungeon, heading for the surface in order to help save a small girl whose lungs were failing from the poor air. When travelling through dungeons you would encounter enemies (touch encounters) which you could slash with your sword to get the initiative, or could be attacked in the back by them to be ambushed. Enemies on the map were located in strange nooks and crannies and even on the ceiling, which meant you had to stay on your toes. Each floor of the dungeon had a treasure chest which you would only get the key to when all enemies on the floor were defeated. Battle was intense, and losing was not an option. Featuring a radius system and turn based combat, you would spend your AP (action points) however you saw fit, executing strong attacks a few times or weak attacks many times. Each attack had it's own range, advantages and disadvantages. In addition you could stock up your AP to unleash massive combos against your enemies. The biggest and most important part of Dragon Quarter, however, is that when your party died it was game over. Not like game over it's time to load, like GAME OVER. You could restart the game from the beginning and keep a portion of your power, including equipment and items that were stored away or equipped, as well as learned abilities. To help you through this unforgiving game, you had the power to transform into an extremely powerful dragon during battle in order to decimate your foes. Hand in hand with transforming into a dragon was consuming your dragon gauge (I can't remember what it was really called). Once your dragon gauge was fully consumed though... GAME OVER. With extremely powerful enemies littered about randomly throughout dungeons, and outrageously strong bosses you had to balance the use of your dragon form to last you to the end of the game. I'd love to tell you more about this great game, but I've already used up too much space. Even for the hardcore gamer, Dragon Quarter is a hardcore game.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Ultima 7 at #33, jointly placed with Dragon Age, i'm sorry Codex but that is just an insult.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Gamefaqs have no taste whatsoever... officially acknowledged.

Now that we confirmed what we already know... back to Codex bashing!

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

Top 70 because there aren't 100. DOHOHOHO

Also, really, this is preaching to the choir. Especially when you've got 44 posts under your belt since 2011. Am I really supposed to be shocked and delighted that some guys who like cRPGs and made a forum for talking about them think Torment is the best of all time? As if there was some suspense that after 13-ish years P:T would come out on top after a grueling battle versus the mountains of quality cRPGs that have been released since the year 2000?

Edited by AGX-17

It has been posted already in Random News a few threads ago, it even spawned a make your own top 10 spin off topic.

That was the top 50 it was based on. This is Codex RPG List: Enhanced Edition with reviews and stuff.

(Next will come Codex RPG List: Enhanced Edition: Director Admin's Cut, then Codex RPG List: Platinum)

• Like 1

Ultima 7 at #33, jointly placed with Dragon Age, i'm sorry Codex but that is just an insult.

Nonek this is testimony to the relevance of Romance. When I tell you guys this my point is dismissed by most people but when RPGCodex tells you this suddenly you guys listen...aaaaah....sweet vindication ;)

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

No video game list is ever going to be useful for seeing which game belongs in its rightful place, for many obvious reasons. I do think this one is not a bad list in the sense that it's a nice collection of many landmark RPGs and it's a nice place to go to to see what I should play next that I've missed. 

I'm just happy I got Alpha Protocol on there. 

• Like 1

The way people talk about Bloodlines makes me think I was playing a different game. I recall terribly wonky combat, empty areas and a game that progressively got more sparse and lacking in content, all tied to a story that was vaguely confusing but mostly unimportant. On the other hand the game was very atmospheric and interesting... when it worked... and a breath of fresh air in the somewhat stale genre. But no less flawed.

Still, I understand why people like it.

I don't get the praise for Arcanum though. It was ugly and broken, with some good ideas tied to poor in game mechanics. In fact, for every good thing in Arcanum there were at least three that didn't work. I don't think it has a single defining feature apart from the unconventional setting that makes it worthy of the best titles in the genre.

Edited by Drowsy Emperor
  • Like 2

First of all, I was really glad that many important, but less idolized/remembered RPGs made it to the list, like Betrayal at Krondor and Dark Heart of Uukrul.

Just as GameFAQs overrates JRPGs, the Codex underrates them. If nothing else, Chrono Trigger with its time-travel setting, unique party mechanic and 10+ different endings belongs on a top 50+ list. Possibly a few others.

There is one thing that I just don't understand, neither on this list or anywhere else: how on earth could Might and Magic 6 be regarded as a better game than MM 7? MM 7 improved upon everything that MM 6 offered: more and better balanced classes, expanded and much more interesting skill system, bigger world, plethora of memorable locations (as opposed to the blandness of MM 6), a few important branching decisions, more spells and items, an expanded crafting system, endgame towns as endgame dungeons, better dungeon and monster design, a fun minigame -- it's one of the best sequels of all time. The second half of MM 6 is basically one long Diablo-style ride with nothing to break the monotony -- it was mostly a tech demo of the new engine, nothing else. I replayed both a few years back, and really had to force myself to finish 6, while 7 was still fun.

The Seven Blunders/Roots of Violence: Wealth without work. Pleasure without conscience. Knowledge without character. Commerce without morality. Science without humanity. Worship without sacrifice. Politics without principle. (Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi)

Let's Play the Pools Saga (SSI Gold Box Classics)

Pillows of Enamored Warfare -- The Zen of Nodding