RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS

My post is about that medieval / fantasy stuff that is confirmed already. I just don't want this anymore. At least for now, at least for the near future.

But that's unpatriotic, you need to support German software developers. Isnt Piranha Bytes German? Don't be a bad citizen Lexx....support your country :biggrin:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Outlast is 66% off at GOG.

It's a horror-adventure-exploration game, and the reviews are pretty good.

• Like 1

The Seven Blunders/Roots of Violence: Wealth without work. Pleasure without conscience. Knowledge without character. Commerce without morality. Science without humanity. Worship without sacrifice. Politics without principle. (Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi)

Let's Play the Pools Saga (SSI Gold Box Classics)

Pillows of Enamored Warfare -- The Zen of Nodding

Risen 3 Cinematic Trailer:

So, if homeslice, presumably our nameless hero, could always just have made his hands glow blue, which in turn, I can only assume, would do some kind of magical damage, why was he so desperate to get his bloken sword blade back?  Why not just blue hand the shadow dog?

It costs a lot of mana?

Couldn't he just spam mana potions afterward like in most video games?

Maybe he forgot to keybind the potions? Or he's out from spamming them earlier.

New Unreal Tournament announced:

The Future of Unreal Tournament Begins Today

TL;DR: Unreal Tournament development starts today. This game will be free. Not free to play, just free. Develop it with us, or give feedback, here. Alpha expected in a few months. Join us!

Work on the future of Unreal Tournament begins today, and we’re happy to announce that we’re going to do this together, with you. We know that fans of the game are as passionate about Unreal Tournament as we are. We know that you have great ideas and strong opinions about where the game should go and what it should be. So let’s do something radical and make this game together, in the open, and for all of us.

Here’s the plan:
  • We’ve created a small team of UT veterans that are beginning work on the project starting today.
  • From the very first line of code, the very first art created and design decision made, development will happen in the open, as a collaboration between Epic, UT fans and UE4 developers. We’ll be using forums for discussion, and Twitch streams for regular updates.
  • If you are a fan and you want to participate, create a free account and join the forum discussion.
  • All code and content will be available live to UE4 developers on GitHub.
  • The game will be true to its roots as a competitive FPS.
  • Development will be focused on Windows, Mac and Linux.

So what’s the catch?
  • It will take many months until the game is playable by gamers. This is real development from scratch.
  • When the game is playable, it will be free. Not free to play, just free.
  • We’ll eventually create a marketplace where developers, modders, artists and gamers can give away, buy and sell mods and content. Earnings from the marketplace will be split between the mod/content developer, and Epic. That’s how we plan to pay for the game.

A lot of this is brand new for Epic, and we don’t yet have everything figured out. Things will probably definitely go wrong from time to time, and when they do, we’ll have to work through them together. There will be a lot of tough decisions to make, and not every feature will make it into the game. But if you’re a fan of Unreal Tournament, a UE4 developer, or a future modder – or if you just want to learn how we make games – we hope you’ll join us. It’s going to be fun.
Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 3

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Interesting idea, at least.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

New Unreal Tournament announced:

The Future of Unreal Tournament Begins Today

TL;DR: Unreal Tournament development starts today. This game will be free. Not free to play, just free. Develop it with us, or give feedback, here. Alpha expected in a few months. Join us!

Work on the future of Unreal Tournament begins today, and we’re happy to announce that we’re going to do this together, with you. We know that fans of the game are as passionate about Unreal Tournament as we are. We know that you have great ideas and strong opinions about where the game should go and what it should be. So let’s do something radical and make this game together, in the open, and for all of us.

Here’s the plan:
  • We’ve created a small team of UT veterans that are beginning work on the project starting today.
  • From the very first line of code, the very first art created and design decision made, development will happen in the open, as a collaboration between Epic, UT fans and UE4 developers. We’ll be using forums for discussion, and Twitch streams for regular updates.
  • If you are a fan and you want to participate, create a free account and join the forum discussion.
  • All code and content will be available live to UE4 developers on GitHub.
  • The game will be true to its roots as a competitive FPS.
  • Development will be focused on Windows, Mac and Linux.

So what’s the catch?
  • It will take many months until the game is playable by gamers. This is real development from scratch.
  • When the game is playable, it will be free. Not free to play, just free.
  • We’ll eventually create a marketplace where developers, modders, artists and gamers can give away, buy and sell mods and content. Earnings from the marketplace will be split between the mod/content developer, and Epic. That’s how we plan to pay for the game.

A lot of this is brand new for Epic, and we don’t yet have everything figured out. Things will probably definitely go wrong from time to time, and when they do, we’ll have to work through them together. There will be a lot of tough decisions to make, and not every feature will make it into the game. But if you’re a fan of Unreal Tournament, a UE4 developer, or a future modder – or if you just want to learn how we make games – we hope you’ll join us. It’s going to be fun.

So not only is the game years away but Epic has learned nothing from shootmania.

Expecting a comity of nostalgic gamers to do a good design job by steadily working for months doesn't seem particularly bright.

I'm not into competitive FPS, but I am interested in seeing how this turns out.  It certainly has the potential to be an epic trainwreck (pun most certainly intended), but, there's always the chance it turns into something really good.

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Unreal Tournament was the best multiplayer shooter I ever played. I didn't like any of the subsequent installments in the series, but I'll keep an eye out for this one in case it works out. 

• Like 6

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

My post is about that medieval / fantasy stuff that is confirmed already. I just don't want this anymore. At least for now, at least for the near future.

Risen 2 had a great trailer

At least Reality Pump is pumping out a pirate game. And AssCreed 4 will be cheap by then too.

I'm getting Arcania vibes from Risen 3.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

I really, really enjoyed UT3. I'm not sure why it didn't become a huge hit because the game is just filled with creative, varied and well-executed ideas on just about every aspect of the game. It's also absolutely gorgeous even by today's standards. 

• Like 1

UT99 was so freakin' good that a guy like me, who normally wouldn't touch a competitive FPS with a 10 foot pole, had a blast playing it.

• Like 4

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

UT3 is the Citizen Kane of gaming, or better.

• Like 1
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Guest Slinky

If they get the soundtrack at the same level as it was in UT99 I'd play it even if the rest of the game wouldn't be.

I still listen it from time to time.

At least Reality Pump is pumping out a pirate game. And AssCreed 4 will be cheap by then too.

I just found another game being developed by Reality Pump, check this out. It looks good

http://www.realitypump.com/en/sacrilegium.html

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

If they get the soundtrack at the same level as it was in UT99 I'd play it even if the rest of the game wouldn't be.

UT99 was worth playing just to hear "M-M-M-M-Monster kill kill kill

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Yeah, that was a great trailer. But then again, the game later didn't felt anything like the trailer. At least to me. It's like a much darker take on the games story.

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

That was later modded into every subsequent multiplayer shooter on player run servers.

It was also the only shooter where you could have just as much fun playing bots as real players.

Alas I have no luck getting the game to run properly nowadays. There is mouse lag/acceleration now on every new PC I try it with.

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

Guest Slinky

Hmh, then it shares the mouse acceleration problem with Deus Ex which uses the same engine. It can be disabled in Deus Ex by using a third party launcher for the game, so maybe there is a way to disable it in UT too.

That's why I never get rid of my WinXP computer. Classics like UT99 just work as intended. Unfortunately I was never able to play UT3 due to the problem with the engine it used and my sound card. Even with the latest patch it did not worked without crash for more than 15 minutes :(

• Like 2

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

Well I'm definitely playing this, even though the player character is voiced by Brynjolf from Skyrim. 17,651 times down in the Thieves Guild, did I hear "Not now lad, I've got important things to dew." At least the actor leveled out his accent for this Bound by Flame deal. 

First 15 minutes of BbF on PS4. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GdUbl0YbSA

Edited by ManifestedISO

All Stop. On Screen.

I'm liking it quite a bit so far but it definitely seems like it's built with a controller in mind. A bit DA2ish if that's not too harsh. Trying to play a pure mage type is pretty much impossible in the beginning but hopefully it gets a little easier on that front.

Edit: I can't figure out how to skip dialog though I'm sure (I hope) it's just me having a brain fart. I'll have to turn off the subtitles otherwise because everyone talks sooo slow that I'm done reading way before they are done talking

Edited by ShadySands
  • Like 2

Free games updated 3/4/21

It's almost horrifying how gamers today want an industry crash.

Horrifying ? Geez, you are tender. Think of it as people wanting some sort of chaff from wheat moment, or something. Will take something really interesting to make happen, anyway.

Most gamers don't know what a crash would entail. They think it would be something benign like what you propose.