Odd questions

Walsingham

If you're really into depraved stuff, would you go to hell... or heaven?

Edited by Azdeus
  • Like 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

As I understand it Yggdrasil the World Ash, the great tree stretching throughout all the nine worlds, is roughly translated as Terrible One's Horse. My question is who's the Terrible One and why is this tree his horse?

Why, the Terrible One is Odin the Allfather, of course! He "rode" Yggdrasil for nine days, a sacrifice from himself to himself, and from this experience came away with the runes. Havamal!

The question on my mind is, having given his sword to Skirnir as a reward for delivering word of his desire/threats to Gerd, why didn't Freyr make another one or have a replacement made by the dwarves?

Edited by Tsuga C

http://cbrrescue.org/

Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forests and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoors experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.----Fred Bear

http://michigansaf.org/

As I understand it Yggdrasil the World Ash, the great tree stretching throughout all the nine worlds, is roughly translated as Terrible One's Horse. My question is who's the Terrible One and why is this tree his horse?

Why, the Terrible One is Odin the Allfather, of course! He "rode" Yggdrasil for nine days, a sacrifice from himself to himself, and from this experience came away with the runes. Havamal!

The question on my mind is, having given his sword to Skirnir as a reward for delivering word of his desire/threats to Gerd, why didn't Freyr make another one or have a replacement made by the dwarves?

If he's omnipotent why does only have one eye?

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

If he's omnipotent why does only have one eye?

He's the High One, the Wanderer, the Allfather, etc., but not the Omnipotent One. Besides, for the wisdom to take root the sacrifice had to be one of a permanent nature. Costly, painful lessons are seldom forgotten, after all.

Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forests and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoors experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.----Fred Bear

maybe the slices are in better contact with your tongue than the outer layer of the banana would be when you chomp on it from the outside?

But I chew it anyway, sides don't really matter if the object gets chewed to mush almost instantly. I still think the cause is an unknown chemical  process, I just ate a banana by slicing off piece by piece and eating it right away, the taste seems only to improve when I wait a few seconds, it will taste the same if I eat the sliced off piece right away.  

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

What is it about my face that attracts street peddlers, beggars and charities to approach me and not someone else in crowds?

• Like 1

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

What is it about my face that attracts street peddlers, beggars and charities to approach me and not someone else in crowds?

I have a similar problem but with airport security. 

• Like 2

You have "sucker" written on your forehead maybe?

• Like 1
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

You likely offer them non-hostile eye contact. They'll correctly interpret that as a sign that you might have a measure of compassion for them because looking them in the eye without disgust written all over your face suggests that you see them as something more than an obstacle to be avoided.

Why must others park next to me when I've deliberately parked well away from the building so as to avoid the door dent gnomes from Larson's "The Far Side"?

• Like 1

A question that might be easy to answer for someone who has a basic understanding of physics, I still don't get it though. Weight of water and pressure.

How can fish and other animals living on the bottom of the ocean still move very easily even though there is kilometers of water above them? With the weight of water above them and the insane pressure, wouldn't it be like trying to swim through liquid concrete?

That's a good question. The weight of water above them is compensated by the normal (upwards) force exerted in reaction by the seabed that is transmitted through the column of water under the fish, as per Newton's third Law. This places an enormous pressure on fish, but as they are basically made of water, they are therefore as incompressible as the water that surrounds them. They just don't care about the pressure, provided they remain within the pressure ranges that are safe for them.

As for the swimming through concrete idea, the internal property that describes the resistance of a fluid to shearing (to put it roughly) is viscosity. Viscosity is not a function of pressure, but of temperature. But even at the lowest temperatures at which water is still liquid and ostensibly still behaving as water, its viscosity is 1,000 to 10,000 times less than that of, say, chocolate syrup.

http://www.research-equipment.com/viscosity%20chart.html

Also, consider that when a fish swims, it's not fighting against the pressure, because the inroad it's making "against" the water in front of it is compensated by the empty space behind it that it no longer occupies, which is immediately filled with water. Pressure is not a factor.

Again, I'm not a physicist, but I think that's the general idea.

• Like 1

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

A question that might be easy to answer for someone who has a basic understanding of physics, I still don't get it though. Weight of water and pressure.

How can fish and other animals living on the bottom of the ocean still move very easily even though there is kilometers of water above them? With the weight of water above them and the insane pressure, wouldn't it be like trying to swim through liquid concrete?

Deep sea fish have adapted so that they have minimized skeletal structures and are generally comprised of gelatinous matter that, like the surrounding water, is (nearly) incompressible.   (Increasing the pressure of water by 1000 psi will compress it only 0.3% of its original volume)

The colder temperatures in the Bathyal and Abyssal zones generally cause fish metabolism rates to drop significantly which means fish in those zones DO move more slowly.

Movement in a fluid (even at pressure) is controlled by the drag forces exerted on the body.  In this case the shape, size and cross-sectional area of the body as well as the density and viscosity determine whether pressure drag or friction drag is the controlling factor.    In general, viscosity increases with decreasing temperature so drag increases.   Seawater density also increases with depth (salinity) so that increases drag as well. 

Finally, fish at those depths aren't crushed because there unique body composition doesn't create a massive pressure difference as in a submarine where the water pressure outside is vastly greater than the air pressure inside. 

Edited by kgambit

I believe that what he is saying that movement in fluid is not a function of pressure, so as long as you can survive it doesn't matter i.e. a diver 5 or 500 meters bellow will move the same (as long as he can negate the effects of pressure to avoid that unpleasant effect also known as death).

Edited by Mor

• 2 weeks later...

Because metric-style dateline symmetry is confusing in its orderliness, I think. We prefer to know first which season one is referring to, rather than the day, because all our days are numbered.   

Indeed. The month is more important and descriptive than the number of the day in most conversations about dates so it makes sense that it would come first. Also, in English one most often would say 'December 1st, 2014' rather than the '1st of December, 2014'. So the M/D/Y follows the language better as well.

Indeed. The month is more important and descriptive than the number of the day in most conversations about dates so it makes sense that it would come first.

Maybe, for me it is hard to loose track of the year\month. so when I ask about the date I usually only care about the day.. and full dates only come to play for official purpose and then 07/03/14, makes much more sense without you guys making it into who's on first routine, so i don't care who was first, just get with my damn program   :closed:  

Edited by Mor

I always use the day/month/year format (7 Mar 14). It was drilled into my head in the military.

My respect for the US military just upticked. :)

Reading the other posts, if it comes down to which is more important - day or month - and you think month, then your deadlines are pretty ****ing slack.

Edited by Walsingham
  • Like 1

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

The military method never caught on for me and even then we still do it different because we use a 3 letter month abbreviation instead of a number

I believe the ISO format is actually YYYY-MM-DD

I like that we are different

• Like 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

what in your opinion does the saying mean: "History tends to repeat itself"?

See for yourself: http://www.history.com/schedule

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I generally avoid people with clipboards and a seeking expression. If it's too late try to look crazy, maybe even a hint of dangerous. 

I always use the day/month/year format (7 Mar 14). It was drilled into my head in the military.

My respect for the US military just upticked. :)

Reading the other posts, if it comes down to which is more important - day or month - and you think month, then your deadlines are pretty ****ing slack.

Month/Day/Year is insane. Why deliberately confuse people like that. 

• Like 2

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

What in your opinion does the saying mean: "History tends to repeat itself?"

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!