Odd questions

Walsingham

Is there a secret dialogue between food packaging engineers and consumers ...

I'm in the middle of destroying a bag of Chewy Chips Ahoy Brownie-Filled cookies (since, you know, the Governor just declared San Diego County in a State of Emergency), which has a tray with three rows of five cookies each. I enjoy four per sitting, with milk, obviously, but then somehow that always leaves only three at the last. 

I wonder if they go so far as to develop a "typical portion" template, or if it's all just uninterestingly random. Pepperidge Farms does it right, with their Milano Double-Chocolate ... three vertical stacks of, I think six per level. Those are slightly smaller, however, I usually pound a level at a time. I do earn my treats, in case you're judging. Like I mean physically demanding work. And I also heard a diet high in dairy actually bonds with some fat cells that exit your bio-system's back door without being stored. It was a show on PBS, actually.  

• Like 1

All Stop. On Screen.

If God accepts no external authority, and just does whatever he/she sees fit ...doesn't that make God an anarchist?

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

If God accepts no external authority, and just does whatever he/she sees fit ...doesn't that make God an anarchist?

I always though she was a Buddhist.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

I always though she was a Buddhist.

You better hope not. What would happen if God achieved total NIrvana and abandoned the W... ah. I see what you mean.

• Like 1

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Exactly, and tantamount to another post I posited and posted elsewhere. If The God can manipulate time--arguably an external authority--what is the point of creating a universe based on time. Snapping your god-like fingers to separate the continents really devalues the magnificence. I mean everything I've ever done worth anything took a long-ass time and felt really good to reach the end. I can't imagine any entity achieving god-like satisfaction (And It Was Good ...) from waving a wand of creation.  Makes me think anthropomorphism extends to deities, too.  

All Stop. On Screen.

Exactly, and tantamount to another post I posited and posted elsewhere. If The God can manipulate time--arguably an external authority--what is the point of creating a universe based on time. Snapping your god-like fingers to separate the continents really devalues the magnificence. I mean everything I've ever done worth anything took a long-ass time and felt really good to reach the end. I can't imagine any entity achieving god-like satisfaction (And It Was Good ...) from waving a wand of creation.  Makes me think anthropomorphism extends to deities, too.  

Doesn't the bible say we're made in His image, though? We didn't anthro him. He deified us. It#s probbaly why He gets so riled when we act like ****.

-Elwood Blues

what is the point of creating a universe based on time.

Something we'd never know; a true omnipotent creator, should one exist, would have to have a perspective that would be so completely alien to human understanding that trying to fathom why would just be pointless, IMO.

• Like 2

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Doesn't the bible say we're made in His image, though? We didn't anthro him. He deified us. It#s probbaly why He gets so riled when we act like ****.

If we're starting to get all theological then I'd like to point out that there are different speculations about the nature of God. It could be that the Universe is more like the panentheistic(I wrote that right) religions and God is a representation of what makes the Universe work or as encapsulating the whole Universe. So it could be that God is us and how we behave in turn affects God(who is us). 

On a related note omniscience might be constrained to all that there is within the Universe meaning that God knowledge is limited to all the information contained in the Universe.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

On a related note omniscience might be constrained to all that there is within the Universe meaning that God knowledge is limited to all the information contained in the Universe.

This would be based on whether the omniscient creator is a part of our universe or outside of our universe, I'd think. If that creator is apart from our universe* then the scope of their knowledge would be greater than just all that exited in our universe by some unknowable amount.

*note the creator being apart from the universe can hand wave the determination paradox of an all powerful creator who knows what you are going to do but gives you the free will to do it; if the creator is apart from the universe than the creator knows what you did (because, from their perspective, everything the universe was, is, will be has "happened") thus making both statements true; its a bit harder to make that argument with a creator constrained, for example, by time (as the only knowledge of your decisions would be on when you made them, but if the creator knows what you're going to do before you do it, do you really have free will to do it?)

Edited by Amentep

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

This would be based on whether the omniscient creator is a part of our universe or outside of our universe, I'd think. If that creator is apart from our universe* then the scope of their knowledge would be greater than just all that exited in our universe by some unknowable amount.

Never thought about that, but I'd think so too: If the omniscient creater is in our universe, it's knowledge is limited (well, limited to everything in this universe...still pretty much knowledge I'd say^^).

But either way...If there is one, wouldn't it be pretty boring for it, to just sit (or float or whatever) there looking around? Especially of you're omniscient? 

Being omniscient must be the most boring thing possible xD

Now I start feeling like some cheap "Made in China" replica of the real thing... Whatever happened to good old craftmanship and creativity in your creation? :(

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Here's an odd question; What the hell has happened to Bruce Jenner!?. Is it just me or is trying to turn himself into Michael Jackson? I think the Kardasian women are like acid. Whatever they touch they destroy. Looks like Kanye West is pretty screwed. But it was only a matter of time before he self destructed so we're just accelerating the inevitable. 

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I think its more the cost of licensing those films than anything else (and yeah in the US pretty much everything that was in copyright in 1928 or so and after is still in copyright due to the copyright extensions though, as opposed to the "life of the author" rule).

Mind you somethings are choices of the director/producer too (a lot of old horror fans will toss some Universal or Hammer classics into the background of a scene because they're grown up horror kids).

Noting: how exciting and energising adolescence is, with all its changes and growth

Question: Are we changing constantly throughout our lives, and always becoming someone different?

Subordinate question: Should we therefore expect to be both excited and confused ALL THE TIME?

-Elwood Blues

Question: Are we changing constantly throughout our lives, and always becoming someone different?

We're a different person every single second. Our personality; what we are; is made from a unique combination of cells, cells that constantly die and get (imperfectly) replaced and re-arranged, subtly changing the way the brain works and thus altering the way we think and who we are.  A frightening thought that makes the question ''what is consciousness'' and what is ''I'' even more complex. 

Edited by Woldan
  • Like 2

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

"I yam what I yam an' tha's all I yam" - Popeye.

We are the sum of our memories/experiences, in that sense we aren't changing but building who we are. So while the adolescence phase offers a well spring of that, as we master the basic skills to become independent and understand who we are, what our role, relationships etc.. its doesn't stop there it's never too late make new memories/experiences e.g. which is why new relationships in the getting to know each other are always exciting and confusing or why kids will be exciting and confusing same goes for everything else friends\job\vacations\hobbies...

I just noticed that the piracy topic is closed, so here is a similar one: Does becoming the focus on counterfeiting ring is the wet dream of any one producer?

Because just as in prison everyone are innocent, there someone will always argue that the usual victimless crime shtik i.e. That it's really the fault of the producer for setting the pricing it too high, that it's really equals no sales lost because its mostly bought by kids or people without means and in fact is a good marketing tool that builds the brand, so its win win for producer\counterfeiter\consumer someone should -tm that s*** :rolleyes: iirc, someone even mentioned something about ideology :rolleyes: as oppose to it being trying to justify your habits which can be summed up with the good ol' crime and low socioeconomic statistics.

Edited by Mor

Why may of us derive such pleasure at scratching an itch?

How many meters of warm butter could a GBU-28 bunker buster missile penetrate?

not much better then hitting concrete? Assuming that your warm butter is near a liquid state, and we know that liquid don't compress.. Edited by Mor
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Why is it that the elementary backstroke (or as I like to call it, the kraken stroke) is such an unpopular swimming style?

Its my favorite stroke, also when the swimmer is strong its faster than any other swimming style including freestyle crawling because you can dump all your muscular power into that movement, you can glide fast and long (I can glide 7 meters with one repetition) so its also very energy conserving. And on top of it its so easy you don't even have to learn or practice it.

Its also one of the most comfortable strokes for people that have super negative buoyancy like me. 

But still, people prefer doing less effective awkward strokes and I wonder why?   :blink:

(Elementary backstroke = float on your back and do scissors with your arms and legs simultaneously, keep your legs and arms at your side when gliding making a very hydrodynamic shape. Keep air in the lungs to glide further, only breathe when pushing. Its pretty much the way cephalopods swim. )

Edited by Woldan

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet.