Odd questions

Walsingham

What in your opinion does the saying mean: "History tends to repeat itself?"

You want me to explain what it means, or why the saying exists?

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Nobody ever gets my jokes.

• Like 3

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

:) They might if they weren't slow-witted. :)

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

History doesn't repeat but it does rhyme.

• Like 1

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

:lol:  I got it... but I like mine better!

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

What in your opinion does the saying mean: "History tends to repeat itself?"

I know that it is commonly used to say that we should learn from past mistakes (e.g. "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it"), presumably so that we can change the it. Though I think it speaks more about human nature then history.. , anyway it just an old argument that crossed my mind, and I thought to pick up your brains.

What is it about my face that attracts street peddlers, beggars and charities to approach me and not someone else in crowds?

You have "sucker" written on your forehead maybe?

I also was the sucker(innocent/curious) few times around. I was healed by "my" bus station beggar, middle aged good looking man ( not neglected in anyway i.e. well dressed, hair cut etc) asked for change because he was little short for a intercity bus ticket. Sure why not, glad to help, right? the problem that he was there the next time and every time I took that bus all day long, basically it was his daily "job" to stand there and scam new comers...
  • Like 1

I don't mind giving money to beggars, but long ago realised that the ones who really need help are the ones without a carefully rehearsed hard luck story.

The single most important thing to realise is that if you are dealing with a professional beggar, and you are being lied to then you have no moral obligation to tell the truth back. And the simplest lie to tell with conviction is that you don't have time to listen. Say it politely and apologetically. But say it.

• Like 1

-Elwood Blues

Beggars I mind the least, It's the clipboards that I hate.

I will continue giving to beggars when I can. Rehearsed backstory or no. Most here don't need to tell a story, the truth is better.

@Mor: don't you think it's smart business for a beggar to pick a spot known to have many potential customers? If I was out on the streets, that sounds exactly like a spot where I might ensure my survival.

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

The clipboard bastards can easily be dealt with. Like navigating rapids, steer TOWARDS them, and only 'paddle' away at the last moment. That way they don't get momentum, either psychologically or physically by stepping towards you. 

• Like 1

-Elwood Blues

Don't you think it's smart business for a beggar to pick a spot known to have many potential customers? If I was out on the streets, that sounds exactly like a spot where I might ensure my survival.

I think that Pyramid scheme is a smart business for those on top, but as for this guy if he can stand there all day, every day, he can also get a job. Edited by Mor

This is the only March 18th 2014 that we will have, ever (assuming we keep using the same system).

As for people with clipboards, if they are trying to sell me something I will generally just give them the finger. On the other hand, if I don't have anything pressing to do and they are there to convince people to join charities or religions, I sometimes find it entertaining to try and convince them of the opposite that they're trying to convince me of to make them as angry as I possibly can. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Odd question: Why are most modern battle tanks and even APC'S with 20, 25 and 30mm cannons not equipped with muzzle brakes?  I shoot large caliber rifles with muzzle brakes and they have several benefits and only one drawback. Why are they only seen on artillery? 

Benefits:

Dramatic recoil reduction, up to 50-60% depending on operating pressure

Reduces muzzle flash

Weight on the end of the barrel counters barrel whip and has a positive effect on barrel harmonics which increases long range accuracy 

Powder residue is blown to the sides which avoids clouds of smoke building up atop the muzzle blocking the view of the gunner. 

Drawbacks:

Increased noise and muzzle blast to bystanders (should be a non-issue though, tanks are equipped with reactive armor, now thats bad for bystanders)

Edited by Woldan

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

Remember, all military equipment is done by the lowest bidder. They may not think that it is cost effective and that tanks function well enough as is.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

"Ill gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today"?

But would he say that on Tuesday?  I'm assuming he says that on other days, eats the hamburger and never pays for it.  Call it an old timey chew and screw.  Would he use a different day of the week?  Would he actually pay for his hamburger upon receiving it on Tuesday?  Would he actually pay his tab on Tuesday?  Maybe he eats tacos on Tuesday?

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Why is it perfectly fine for busty women to wear a tank top but if muscular men wear wifebeater / tank tops they're instantly labeled as jerks, douchebags or narcissists even when they wear it for comforts sake in hot weather? 

Story of my life. 

Why is it perfectly fine for busty women to wear a tank top but if muscular men wear wifebeater / tank tops they're instantly labeled as jerks, douchebags or narcissists even when they wear it for comforts sake in hot weather? 

Story of my life. 

There's this thing called breasts, old boy. They are quite literally magical, and they make everything better.

Even tank tops.

• Like 4

-Elwood Blues

What if a muscular busty woman wears a tank top? 

'If'?

-Elwood Blues

• 2 weeks later...

I've just read that it could be possible that temperature is infinite, that means it could get infinitely hot. Since temperature is just used as an indicator of molecule vibration /  speed  etc. infinite temperature means the speed which molecules or atoms are moving can be infinite. But can't be possible because nothing can move faster than light so there is a max speed.  

So there must be a temperature limit and infinite temperature is utter BS, no? 

Edited by Woldan

But isn't temperature related to pressure? As temperature rose I guess it would make the molecules speed up, and move apart, lowering their temperature.

If it doesn't could this somehow be implicated in black holes?

-Elwood Blues