RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS

Rosbjerg

Old Thread here.

God, what a waste of time. 5 minutes I waited for something to happen and nothing did. If you're reading this, just scroll to 10 seconds before the video ends to see what it's about.

You just don't get it.

I don't get it either.

A refreshing minimalistic and measured pacing in an industry where 30 seconds cannot pass without an explosive set piece or dramatic moment? A genuine sense of mystery? A subtle undercurrent of creepiness built from small environmental details and seemingly innocuous events?

Nah, of course you wouldn't get that.

Is file compression already lost knowledge?

Well, ps3 users have been complaining for the whole generation about how they had to suffer FMVs packed for DVD size, instead of using the full available storage space on blu-rays. Imagine if digital downloads were more heavily compressed than disc releases, or even worse, they'd start compressing the whole release more heavily to make the digital download smaller? If you don't have the bandwidth, buy the disc. Simple.

Such rationale requires a level of technological proficiency which console users seem adamant about not learning. If you have a console its very likely that you're trying to avoid technical issues and learning.

I find your methodology suspect, especially since I don't feel like I fit your profile myself. :p

Then you may be the exception, I've met some.
Still most console owners I know aren't tech savvy and when the inevitable PC vs Consoles debate starts one of the main arguments seems be the convenience of a machine exclusively for playing games. Which seems to be a common response around the web, alongside the fact that consoles (allegedly) don't have to deal with as many technical issues as the PCs. Of course I chalk that up to general ignorance surrounding PC gaming, hell I used to believe that myself before I got into it.

Eh, I have a somewhat non-standard setup (video and audio out via hdmi into amp and from there to tv/monitor) and frankly, it gives me no end of trouble on the pc side while it does, indeed, just work for both the consoles. CoH for example gives me a hard crash when I try to start it when I've forgotten to switch down to two channels. And stuff like that. Sure, it's probably limited to older games, but that's what I play on the PC, anyway. I don't think I've ever played a single pc game which hasn't required some sort of ini tweak, fix, processor core limiter or God knows what else to use. I'm technically proficient enough to do it, but liberal arts enough to not like it. :p

Fortune favors the bald.

A refreshing minimalistic and measured pacing in an industry where 30 seconds cannot pass without an explosive set piece or dramatic moment? A genuine sense of mystery? A subtle undercurrent of creepiness built from small environmental details and seemingly innocuous events?

Nah, of course you wouldn't get that.

Or you are just seeing what you want to see, as can be gathered from your first sentence.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

Hm, and from the Eidos Montreal blog posted by David Anfossi

As promised, I'm back to share more news about our Eidos-Montreal studio and what the teams are working on here. We currently have several games in development including the upcoming Thief, but today I will focus on two particular announcements both relating to the future of Deus Ex.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution was a critical and commercial success, and from this game an amazing franchise has been revived. We are fully committed to Deus Ex here at Eidos-Montreal, we’ve already learnt so much and we have many new ideas for the future that we are actively working to develop.

So first up, I am delighted to announce that we have confirmed a ship date for Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Director's Cut. We will be releasing the game on October 22 (25 in PAL regions) on the Wii U, PS3, Xbox 360 and PC. Over the last 18 months, the team has been working very hard on the development of the Director’s Cut. With this edition, we gave the team the envious task of pushing the boundaries of innovation and creativity to explore something we believe will become a big part of the future of the franchise, the second screen experience. When the game launches, players will have the opportunity to experience Human Revolution in a new and unique way through SmartGlass, the PSVita and the Wii U GamePad. I look forward to hearing your feedback on the Deus Ex forums.

And we are taking things further.

I’m really excited to let you know that we are working on an ambitious idea which we’re calling

DXUniverse_logo.png

The concept behind Deus Ex: Universe is to create an ongoing, expanding and connected game world built across a generation of core games. It’s a commitment on our part to deliver meaningful content that expands the franchise on a regular basis and to deliver a deep conspiracy that will span several connected Deus Ex games, creating a more immersive and richer experience than ever before. Deus Ex: Universe will include PC and console games, but also additional Deus Ex games and experiences available in other media such as tablets, smartphones, books, graphic novels, etc... You might have seen the name pop up recently in the press – well this is what it’s all about.

I’m pleased to confirm that we are already into production of the starting point for Deus Ex: Universe with a new game for PC and next-generation consoles. We’re very excited about it at the studio and I wanted to let you know that most of the team behind Deus Ex: Human Revolution is already working hard on this new game. It took us four years to learn how to create a unique Deus Ex experience with Human Revolution and it was important for me to keep this knowledge within the franchise.

I want to leave you with a piece of concept art from our next-gen Deus Ex game that shows trans-humanism segregation, which is a backdrop to our vision for the next Deus Ex. It represents a "ghetto-city' voluntarily built in order to separate the classes. The people in this segregated class have reshaped their environment, nostalgic for their ideal of Cyber Renaissance. This dark and dystopian vision sets the tone for things to come in Deus Ex.

For now, I hope you are excited about the future of this game that we love so much. Deus Ex is coming to next-gen, it’s early so don’t expect to hear much more from us just yet, but I wanted you to know.

I'm very excited as a developer and gamer!

• Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Does this belong here?

Tom Clancy died 

Never liked the man. But there are enough people on this forum who share his views and who may care.

I did enjoy shouting orders into my mic in Endwar though.

"Unit one attack Sierra" "Unit two hold Alpha" "Damn... Unit one... Unit one... Unit one attack Sierra" "Unit one... attack... Sierra... unit one.. attack.. Cee-Eh-RA... like Mumm-RA but different." "Oh screw you unit one - I'll just zerg this" "Command All: attack hostile 3"

Edited by melkathi

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

Hm, so I need to read or watch other non-game media to understand some things in DX games, I'm guessing ?

As for Clancy, surprised you'd link views not the tenuous connection to the Red Storm games and so on. I do like the joke on Kotaku about him joining the Ghosts, though.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

As for Clancy, surprised you'd link views not the tenuous connection to the Red Storm games and so on. I do like the joke on Kotaku about him joining the Ghosts, though.

Just grabbed the first link I came across. I don't even know the Red Storm games ;)

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

DX stuff just means they will do the same thing that every media franchise has been doing for the last 20 years; release a bunch of related material across different platforms. 

DX stuff just means they will do the same thing that every media franchise has been doing for the last 20 years; release a bunch of related material across different platforms.

In fact, it sounds like what they've been doing so far...

But glad to hear the next game officially announced.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

When I first read "Deus Ex: Universe" I instantly thought they were making a MMO.  My reaction was:

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu_by_fuuu_plz-d4fkmw9

Then I read further and my reaction was:

artworks-000030862014-oe3c2q-crop.jpg?5e

• Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

RIP Tom Clancy, Rainbow Six was one of my favourite games and also one of the first books I read in English.

• Like 1

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

RIP Clancy. You were a bad writer and spawned an insane amount of novels with content I don't appreciate for sociopolitical reasons.

The libs did 9/11

Edited by Pidesco
Consistency

Ka-ka-ka-ka-Cocaine!

Z9SVsCY.gif

RIP Clancy. You were a bad writer and spawned an insane amount of novels with content I don't appreciate for sociopolitical reasons.

Hm..kind of agree. At least we got Rainbow Six out of it.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

You folks are really keeping it classy today.

Being dead doesn't shield you from criticism. 

Using news of someone's death as an opportunity to criticize them indicates atypical empathy, possibly stemming from a personality disorder.

Which is not really atypical in the internet :p

• Like 3

Don't really see it as such. And it's not that 'mean' to reflect on his writing career - is part of the remembrance of the dead.

I think there's some sort of happy medium to be found between "crap jingoist novels for rednecks" and just finding nice stuff to say about someone who's died ("loved master to Blondie").

I thought he was basically the literary equivalent to NASCAR- I can appreciate how the stuff is put together in a general sense, but it's not aimed at me it's aimed at patriotic americans who just want something to cheer for and make them feel better about themselves, and was all too often the direct story equivalent of driving around an oval for a couple of hours while cars make loud noises and crash occasionally.

Hmm. Passive aggressive way of writing "decently written but repetitive jingoistic novels for rednecks"?

Pretty much, yes.

atypical empathy, possibly stemming from a personality disorder.

I guess half of Great Britain did with Iron Lady's death. 

Most of those celebrating her death weren't even born when she was in power. That was just.. kind of bizarre.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."