Movies You've Seen Recently

Tale

Well it'll be hard for any of us in the US to watch it as last I head it was in legal limbo due to some lawsuits that don't appear to be settled yet. :|

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

The Sessions - uncomfortable topic (at least I'd guess to most people), tastefully done. But rather slow. Helen Hunt and the male lead (sorry, don't feel like looking up his name) were very good in their scenes together. And if you ever wanted to see Hunt full frontal, well there you go.

Altho tbh, I was looking more at her face, because there's something a little off about it these days. Not enough flesh on the cheekbones, too much makeup, too much botox, no idea.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I liked it too

err I mean, uh, I would have liked it had I been able to legally watch it  :shifty:

Well it did apparently show at a festival in the US, so I guess you have plausible deniability on your side... :p

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

With Great Power: The Stan Lee Story, a documentary about Stan Lee. I was glad they spent a lot of time talking about Jack Kirby. They left out some important stuff though, like how his uncle was the EIC or whatever for timely, which is how he got the job.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

According to Joe Simon, Lee was brought to him by Lee's uncle, Robbie Solomon (then an editor at Marvel Comics), and told that Marty (Martin Goodman - owner of the parent company to Marvel, the publisher of Marvel Comics and whose wife Lee was related to) wanted Simon to "keep Lee busy".

Edited by Amentep

I don't think Robocop needed a remake...

Robocop is to Detroit what Rocky is to Philly ... and the tattered, bankrupt city (in real life) could use a morale boost. A new movie might help the tiniest bit. There was a successful Kickstarter for a statue of Robocop in the city.  

am gonna suggest that detroit's rocky is actual 8-mile... which is very sad.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

According to Joe Simon, Lee was brought to him by Lee's uncle, Robbie Solomon (then an editor at Marvel Comics), and told that Marty (Martin Goodman - owner of the parent company to Marvel, the publisher of Marvel Comics and whose wife Lee was related to) wanted Simon to "keep Lee busy".

Yeah, that was Jack Kirby's story too. I guess it was too unflattering to put in the doc? It just said he applied for the job and got it.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Well, that was Stan Lee's default story - that he'd seen an ad in the paper, applied for the job and got it. It was an "inspiring" kind of story designed to inspire people.

But Lee was at a con with Simon and essentially said he'd told the ad story so much that while he thought it was true, he really didn't remember it was true.

Lee has a reputation as someone who'd stretch and/or alter the truth (not necessarily maliciously although I've heard accusations of such) to make a better story.

Since Simon was the editor of Marvel at the time and Kirby the art editor, I'd tend to believe their stories over Lee (who was 16 years old at the time - although Simon remembered Lee telling him he was 17! :)).

Edited by Amentep

Whatever your opinion of Lee, whether he took half the credit for Kirby's work(Which is what Kirby claimed in the 90s I believe) or was one half of a dynamic duo, Marvel wouldn't have been Marvel without Stan Lee.

Watched Green Hornet today, enjoyed it. Seth Rogen and the guy who played Kato had good chemistry I thought, and I love villains that are horribly deadly and dangerous but don't act it, like the Mayor in Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Star Trek Into Darkness. I really enjoyed it, but Benedict Cumberbatch was awful as Khan. Disnt look like him, didn't act like him, just really bad casting. Casting whitey mcwhite as an Indian was kind of a **** move too.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Whatever your opinion of Lee, whether he took half the credit for Kirby's work(Which is what Kirby claimed in the 90s I believe) or was one half of a dynamic duo, Marvel wouldn't have been Marvel without Stan Lee.

Watched Green Hornet today, enjoyed it. Seth Rogen and the guy who played Kato had good chemistry I thought, and I love villains that are horribly deadly and dangerous but don't act it, like the Mayor in Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

You bastard son of a bitch! Now I'm going to have to start re-watching Buffy.

Edited by Walsingham

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Star Trek Into Darkness. I really enjoyed it, but Benedict Cumberbatch was awful as Khan. Disnt look like him, didn't act like him, just really bad casting. Casting whitey mcwhite as an Indian was kind of a **** move too.

Khan was originally written as being of Nordic descent in early drafts (before he was called Khan, actually)...and I think the creators of Into Darkness didn't want to "demonize" anyone of color/Eastern descent this time around (this is probably a post-911 US reaction).

But I do know what you mean. Once Montalbán iconized Khan, it's pretty hard to see Khan as being anything but. Still, I think Benedict was fine in the role as they made it. He's not the same power-hungry but charismatic/gentlemanly, studious, curious about the future ST:OS Khan that Kirk unfroze and dealt with..he's a Khan embittered by being forced under duress, for months, to do stuff he didn't want and hence hates the Federation from the get-go.

Me, my main beef is still the new, rage-y, outwardly emotional Spock. Zachary is fine as the actor, but talk about changing the character 180 degrees. And I don't mean appearance. :disguise: I really really have to ignore the fact that's supposed to be Spock every time he starts shooting angry sparks from his eyes. I just pretend he's a different Vulcan, maybe with Romulan blood mixed in.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

New Kirk annoys me. I agree with everything the admiralty berated him for. I would have demoted him to ensign given him a red suit and sent him first through every door on the away missions. 

This is not nostalgia for old Kirk, I only remember him from rescue 911.

New Spock is filling some pretty big shoes. He's doing ok - ish.

• Like 1

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

I have to say, I think Benedict did Khan well as he was written. It's just that the character as written for ST Into Darkness is purely that solo "genius" figure, and not the sweepingly charismatic one that could persuade people to follow him and inspire loyalty. On one hand, it makes sense becase as LadyC says, it's the embittered Khan trying to get his crew back rather then the leader with a crew and casually capable of turning his enemies to his side.

In Wrath of Khan, he was embittered, but he had a single focus (Kirk) and he still had crew and family that helped stabilise him a bit - at least until Kirk really started punching his buttons.  In Into Darkness, he's alone, he's been alone for a long time, and he actually thought the Federation had killed his crew earlier.

• Like 3

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

The features on the blu-ray made me angrier because the writers and director actually thought they had done Khan right.

Devastatorsig.jpg

since I don't know anything about Star Trek (its universe and characters) I thought Into Darkness was just a bad sci-fi movie. didn't like anything about it, wasted 2 hours of my life...

then I tried watching Odd Thomas, and that was an even bigger disappointment. you know the movie is bad when the main character has to talk to himself all the time to provide the audience with laughs and exposition. the dialogue feels so forced... I couldn't bare it so I just stopped paying attention half way through.

but then 2 Guns saved me. my goodness, that movie take me back. to the times of Arnie/Stallone/Van Damme action flicks. Washington and Wahlberg are great on screen together, I believe it's called "chemistry", when they speak sparks start to fly. I haven't had such a good laugh from a movie in a long time.

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

then I tried watching Odd Thomas, and that was an even bigger disappointment. you know the movie is bad when the main character has to talk to himself all the time to provide the audience with laughs and exposition. the dialogue feels so forced... I couldn't bare it so I just stopped paying attention half way through.

There was a reason I said "If you like those slightly kooky supernatural tinged thrillers."  I've actually read the book it's based on this week, and I have to say they actually did use a lot of the dialogue from the book, not just the usual Hollywood adaptive screenplay. Sure, some of the lines were shifted in scenes to suit a movie rather then a book, but they were still pretty much as is. And that "character talking to the audience" is how the books are written.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I watched Liberal Arts, and it surprised me. the plot is nothing special, but excellent script, and excellent acting.

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

Stalingrad 2013

Look like Stalingrad from 1993.. And with Thomas Kretschmann as a German officer again even. Talk about type casting hah, same movie same role.

I saw Rosencrants & Guildenstern are Dead. Interesting movie..

Liked this scene in particular.

Fortune favors the bald.

. And that "character talking to the audience" is how the books are written.

that's exactly the problem. and even then, if Yelchin broke the fourth wall in a funny way every time he does that, that would be a lot better for the movie. instead he looks like a crazy person, talking to himself all the time.

and even when he talks to other characters he's actually explaining things to the audience, and I hate that. hell, even David Mamet said once that every scene of this sort in a film was a crock of ****. and he's right.

can't blame the actors, of course. the material is just too thin. even Defoe looks like a B-actor delivering his awful lines

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Some How to Train Your Dragon Xmas 20-minute short, from a while ago. I know some people dislike the original movie because of "what it turns dragons into" but I don't care. Toothless is awesome.

Toothless-0063a.jpg

Toothless-0065a.jpg

Oh and the Xmas short? It was cute. Not as decent as the film of course, but good for kids I suppose and it had a lot of Toothless in it, so that was all I cared about. :p

• Like 1